Television Star Trek

Big Andy

Bloke
Just watched the S7 episode “siege of AR-558” and Tuco Salamanca from BB is in it playing “Space Tuco”
Man that guy is a one dimensional “angry Latino man” motherfecker

Big Andy

Bloke
Also, when they’re firing phasers, they keep shooting them like bullets, in bursts.

Just keep your finger down and hose those alien bastards

Big Andy

Bloke
How does the universal translator work? I’m watching the S7 DS9 episode where Gul Dukat is masquerading as a Bajoran. I’m assuming he’s not a fluent Bajoran speaker due to the universal translator doing it for him during his reign over them.

so when he’s pestering that Bajoran dickhead into abandoning her religion, is he still using the universal translator and if so, shouldn’t his mouth not match his words, making it obvious he’s not really who he says is.

Big Andy

Bloke
Do you reckon there’s like Scouse Starfleet captains knocking about in the 2300’s?

First Contact would be horrible

“Ey La, eeeeeerrm wot you lookin at kidda? I’ll cut ya up ya Nonce”

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Do you reckon there’s like Scouse Starfleet captains knocking about in the 2300’s?

First Contact would be horrible

“Ey La, eeeeeerrm wot you lookin at kidda? I’ll cut ya up ya Nonce”
Starfleet hubcaps would fetch them a pretty penny.

Herman Toothrot

How does the universal translator work? I’m watching the S7 DS9 episode where Gul Dukat is masquerading as a Bajoran. I’m assuming he’s not a fluent Bajoran speaker due to the universal translator doing it for him during his reign over them.

so when he’s pestering that Bajoran dickhead into abandoning her religion, is he still using the universal translator and if so, shouldn’t his mouth not match his words, making it obvious he’s not really who he says is.
It works however the plot needs it to and best to forget about it.

Big Andy

Bloke
Been re-watching Picard over the break, I'm enjoying it more second time around without the weekly wait.

jasT1981

Binged Prodigy over the weekend now it's on Netflix and I really enjoyed it. Once you get past the kids type animation it is pretty story driven. Lots to bring in its target audience in the kids but plenty of lore to keep the older fans happy.

Don't have P+ and need to see most of SNW S2 (only seen first 3 eps) and all of Lower Decks. I did watch the first couple of LD episodes when it first came out and didn't enjoy, but thinking my enjoyment of Prodigy might change my perspective on the animated shows.

Bole Top

I tried to watch Lower Decks fully expecting it to be crap so I'm not going to bash it that much. even a 20 minutes episode felt like watching a 3 hour movie. it's not over the top like Rick and Morty is at times, meaning it's just loud without ever being funny. I couldn't help but feel you have to be the type of person who'd purchase that Lingard's dancefloor hoodie in order to enjoy this. it's the first thing that came on my mind watching the first three episodes.

I doubt I'll bother with Prodigy.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
funny that the post before me is a lower decks extreme negative review, because i have a 6/10 love/hate review of the whole thing (binged it over the past month)

It's obviously made with a great deal of warmth, the type only a fan can have, for the classic series (TOS-VOY). And for the whole utopian ideal, unlike writers of STD or Picard. The callbacks and fanservice mean it's probably meaningless for anybody who hasn't seen previous stuff. Could have worked better as a non-comedy maybe?

But it's so syrupy sweet it gets nauseating. If right-wingers complaining about soy saw this they'd be vindicated beyond their worst nightmares.

Also the main character would have been punched by Kirk, removed from the Enterprise by Picard, expelled from Starfleet by Sisko, and ordered to forever polish Harry Kim's boots by Janeway. She's repeatedly and clearly a terrible officer who will kill her colleagues, and I don't get why the writers assume we will sympathise with her self-destructive behaviour.

Overall much better than Discovery and comfortably worse than Voyager. Need to watch more SNW to rank everything properly.

e - on The Orville, season 3 was so painfully sincere it got unwatchable midway through. TNG was never this self-serious, and that's the show that unironically had Picard boast this whole thing.

Last edited:

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
First episode of the new season of disco is so so bad. Will see it through cause it’s the last one

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
First episode of the new season of disco is so so bad. Will see it through cause it’s the last one
It's disastrous, so disappointing.
I attempted to watch a bit of that and managed a handful of episodes. It seemed like if they'd made TNG with Wesley Crusher as the main character and everybody else only existed to be wrong and make him look good. Oh, and he's Spock's brother for some reason.

Can't believe they got five seasons out of it.

Bole Top

to me it was very easy to like the first two seasons since there hasn't been any ST ever since ENT. then Picard came out, Pike got his own show and this got soft as feck after the second season. the issue for me isn't that it's not as good as whatever ST you rate the most, the issue is that they gave up completely on what made the first season interesting. we went from a rather dark show where war with the Klingons was the main topic, with corrupt captain like Lorca and undercover Klingon casually breaking the neck of your main doctor to overly friendly and thus sterile show with happy reunion of bunch of goodies in ship's bar after every single mission.

but who cares. it's over obviously, so there's little point in complaining. nice revisiting of one my favorite TNG episodes btw, I liked that part the most from that first episode. the rest was as you would expect from a show that lost its way after the second season and it's now nearing its end.

That'sHernandez

to me it was very easy to like the first two seasons since there hasn't been any ST ever since ENT. then Picard came out, Pike got his own show and this got soft as feck after the second season. the issue for me isn't that it's not as good as whatever ST you rate the most, the issue is that they gave up completely on what made the first season interesting. we went from a rather dark show where war with the Klingons was the main topic, with corrupt captain like Lorca and undercover Klingon casually breaking the neck of your main doctor to overly friendly and thus sterile show with happy reunion of bunch of goodies in ship's bar after every single mission.

but who cares. it's over obviously, so there's little point in complaining. nice revisiting of one my favorite TNG episodes btw, I liked that part the most from that first episode. the rest was as you would expect from a show that lost its way after the second season and it's now nearing its end.
I don’t mind the friendliness so much. What grates is instead of a conversation for problem solving, they instead have a telepathic conversation where each member of the crew vocalises part of the problem solving in one continuous sentence for the audience. And I have said from pretty early on that it’s not really ST, just a sci-fi show set in the ST universe and even my wife gets that now having spent time watching SNW with me.

I do really like the premise of the season, but I also think it’s a shame this show is the one to do something with an episode in TNG that never got revisited but showed potential.

Reiver

If you have any major issues with Lower Decks I'd suggest you're taking it far too seriously. Enjoy it for what it is and its absolutely fine.

stevoc

Watched the first episode of the new Discovery. I was half sleeping watching it but did that captain feel the body of an android, and say the killers must be close ''as it's still warm''? Then someone asked the ship to see if the Android had family on the planet they could inform of his death?

Bole Top

I don’t mind the friendliness so much. What grates is instead of a conversation for problem solving, they instead have a telepathic conversation where each member of the crew vocalises part of the problem solving in one continuous sentence for the audience. And I have said from pretty early on that it’s not really ST, just a sci-fi show set in the ST universe and even my wife gets that now having spent time watching SNW with me.
I personally mind it because it's also largely connected to the bolded part, which I agree with. I don't recall the episode, but the situation was pretty bad, Picard lost his cool and called Worf a coward, on which Worf said he should kill him where he stands for saying that. now imagine Michael losing control that way and someone from the crew saying that to her.

in general, there's no emotional outbursts among the crew. it's all so good and perfect because they never really stuck, they just solve everything telepathically in a second which is why these "race against the clock" scenes lost all the strength. Michael herself actually is perfect in a way, while Booker, Stamets, the doctor, Lilly and others are just "weak". they were made to be likeable, calm and friendly, but ultimately - weak.

one of the things that made DS9 special, to me at least, is that it made sense for certain staff members not to like other staff members at all. so those happy reunions, feelings and hugs at the end of each episode and Michael crying or giving speech every once in a while aren't really my cup of tea.

anyway, I finished the second episode and the first thing the came on my mind is another TNG episode, The Arsenal of Freedom. I'm still not feeling anything unfortunately, despite Michael being in tears once again during the mission. it shouldn't be possible, but Discovery and Prodigy are actually targeting the same audience now.

Bole Top

I already knew what was coming when they mentioned the Trill in previos episode so I prepared myself for Gray and elementary school talks about feelings. but even then, h-o-l-y shit. how the hell have they come from that first season to this?

they don't even bother to sent the team anymore, it's pretty much Michael and Booker now, with the rest of her low testosterone friends talking about feelings on the ship. this should be called Star Trek: Feelings and the ship itself should be called USS Therapy.

the premise sounded good on paper but they're not doing anything with it. even the characters don't believe something big is happening.

I know it's the last season, but come on, this is seriously sterile.

Big Andy

Bloke
Just started S5 of Disgovery and it’s already annoying me :lol:

Michael Burnham is stood on top of a ship in a spacesuit, at warp speed and is just holding on.

Whatever happened to the captain staying in the ship instead of doing literally every fecking mission? I’m struggling but I’ll finish it to see how it all ends.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Just started S5 of Disgovery and it’s already annoying me :lol:

Michael Burnham is stood on top of a ship in a spacesuit, at warp speed and is just holding on.

Whatever happened to the captain staying in the ship instead of doing literally every fecking mission? I’m struggling but I’ll finish it to see how it all ends.
That annoys you? Not the fact that someone who is raised by Vulcans cries and talks about feelings every five minutes? :lol:

That'sHernandez

I’m not past the second episode yet. It’s a really tough watch on account of it being so bad, and I really wanted to like it too

Bole Top

since I managed to finish Walking Dead and Picard S2, there's no way I'm giving up on Discovery. but it's sad when you now have to endure something you used to like. I wanted to watch it in friday. then I moved it for saturday evening. it's sunday and I can already tell I'll find a good reason not to watch it again.

Herman Toothrot

When was Discovery good? The first season was bad, especially all the Klingon nonsense with Clem Fandango, the Spock recon was darn right offensive, the discovery and subsequent cover-up of the mycelium network was daft, the constant low level emotional fragility of the crew was equal parts draining and insufferable, all that shit with Michael's mother was ridiculous and then it ended up in the worst future with some absolute tripe plot about dilithium crystals.

I'd honestly rather watch that episode where Beverley fecks a ghost on a loop than suffer another few hours in the company of The Discovery crew. Alex Kurtzman should write for a show he likes and not one he hates.

That'sHernandez

When was Discovery good? The first season was bad, especially all the Klingon nonsense with Clem Fandango, the Spock recon was darn right offensive, the discovery and subsequent cover-up of the mycelium network was daft, the constant low level emotional fragility of the crew was equal parts draining and insufferable, all that shit with Michael's mother was ridiculous and then it ended up in the worst future with some absolute tripe plot about dilithium crystals.

I'd honestly rather watch that episode where Beverley fecks a ghost on a loop than suffer another few hours in the company of The Discovery crew. Alex Kurtzman should write for a show he likes and not one he hates.
The weird thing is Kurtzman still writes for Strange New Worlds, which is fantastic