Television Star Trek

Bobski

Yeah i'm a bit wary it hasn't, it's not even available in HD which is a shame as i thought they remastered all the Star Trek series a few years ago.
The first 2 seasons are very up and down, productions values were lower compared to later. Also have to take into account that they were churning out 20+ episodes a season, so there is plenty of filler, the modern trend to keep a season around 10-14 episodes should mean higher consistent quality, in theory.

After that it improves rapidly and its great strength is the ensemble cast, so many strong characters. That has been the main issue with Discovery for me, can put up with continuity errors but the characters just haven't grabbed me. Hearing good things about Season 2 though, gave up on it after 3/4 episodes into the season, might have to revisit it.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I still watched it all, but was much younger. It's watchable, some interesting ideas, but I only really liked couple of characters. But anyway, yeah, you're definitely better off watching DS9, as it's much better show. Why not go in order, have you seen TNG?
Yeah, TNG is the only one I've seen so far and I loved it. I actually never intended on watching it or any of the Star Treks. I just stumbled upon it in the middle of the night on some channel a few years ago when I had nothing to do and got hooked.

As of now, I don't really plan on watching everything Star Trek so I haven't really thought about going in order. It's just that I really liked TNG and have heard that DS9 is as good/better so I want to watch that, but, like with TNG, I stumbled across Voyager the other night and thought that looked good, too!

Which characters did you like? That admittedly seems like a weak area compared to TNG from the eps I watched. I only watched a couple of eps but, with TNG, the characters immediately compelled me. Especially Picard, which is was a big reason as to why I continued to watch it despite having no interest in it prior.

You dont usually see worf shitting himself when ordered to fire!

I have heard a lot about Sisko and am looking forward to seeing how he goes about being captain. He's a lot different to Picard who I loved.

stevoc

The first 2 seasons are very up and down, productions values were lower compared to later. Also have to take into account that they were churning out 20+ episodes a season, so there is plenty of filler, the modern trend to keep a season around 10-14 episodes should mean higher consistent quality, in theory.
Yeah i watched an episode from season 1 last night on Netflix it wasn't great. But i hear it really picks up around the time the big war begins. So i'm considering skipping forward to then.

After that it improves rapidly and its great strength is the ensemble cast, so many strong characters. That has been the main issue with Discovery for me, can put up with continuity errors but the characters just haven't grabbed me. Hearing good things about Season 2 though, gave up on it after 3/4 episodes into the season, might have to revisit it
I would say give it a go definitely, i'm enjoying it and i'm enjoying it more than season 1 which i didn't watch all of.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Pagh Wraith

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I appreciate the effort these people have gone through and this selective viewing has always been a bit strange to me. If you have seen the whole series and just want to revisit some classics then fair enough. But when I start watching a new show then I either watch every episode or don't bother at all.
I think it's relevant for S1 (and sometimes S2) which has a *lot* of filler - I don't mind filler, but this is low-quality filler.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
That’s a bad mutha fooker right there!

What episode is that? I don’t know if it’s because my window is open but I got chills.
Its episode 13 of season 5 (For the Uniform).

Here's another small tidbit which you wont find in any other star trek series

After watching these two short clips again, i must say discovery is no where near the quality of ds9.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The Doctor and Seven of Nine. I'd suspect those are favourites for most people that have seen the show. I liked episodes focused on them the most.
Their friendship was quite a big part of the two-parter I watched the other night. I thought they had some good chemistry so, yeah, I can see myself liking their scenes together the more I watch.

Member 39557

no you baffoon. Michael's mum must not have died in the attack on their house, scrambled to the suit with the time travelling stone, travelled to the future where her injuries were fixed and is coming back in time to save her daughter and Spock...or is that just too obvious
:lol: harsh but fair.

Perhaps I haven't been watching closely enough, or maybe I forgot a vital detail or two but how would Burnham's mother know about Spock?
Didn't Burnham end up with the Vulcans after her parents were killed? If the mother time travelled at the time of the incident, she wouldn't know what happened to Burnham and therefore wouldn't know about Spock.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
no you baffoon. Michael's mum must not have died in the attack on their house, scrambled to the suit with the time travelling stone, travelled to the future where her injuries were fixed and is coming back in time to save her daughter and Spock...or is that just too obvious
:lol:

I thought they might have taken some creative liberties. Wasn't Michael's DNA (or some kind of marker) a perfect match with the Red Angel?

We need an rvn

:lol: harsh but fair.

Perhaps I haven't been watching closely enough, or maybe I forgot a vital detail or two but how would Burnham's mother know about Spock?
Didn't Burnham end up with the Vulcans after her parents were killed? If the mother time travelled at the time of the incident, she wouldn't know what happened to Burnham and therefore wouldn't know about Spock.
Well she can time travel, hence she must have found a way in the future to know what happened to her daughter and where her daughter ended up (think of it as a future google search) - hence why the mum knew she had to warn Spock to scramble his parents to save MB from the giant human eating ant on the planet Vulcan. And she needed Spock because he saw the visions.

:lol:

I thought they might have taken some creative liberties. Wasn't Michael's DNA (or some kind of marker) a perfect match with the Red Angel?
Ah you see, yes indeed it was a perfect...I forgot about that part. Well this has just made tomorrow's episode even more exciting how they find a way around that one

Member 39557

Well she can time travel, hence she must have found a way in the future to know what happened to her daughter and where her daughter ended up (think of it as a future google search) - hence why the mum knew she had to warn Spock to scramble his parents to save MB from the giant human eating ant on the planet Vulcan. And she needed Spock because he saw the visions.

Ah you see, yes indeed it was a perfect...I forgot about that part. Well this has just made tomorrow's episode even more exciting how they find a way around that one
True, although the nature of her appearances were very fleeting and almost ghost like. Not sure if she has the ability to hang around long enough for investigations. I'm sure we'll find out more shortly.
She could have also just gone back and said, hey michael, it's me and I'm alive don't torture yourself for your entire childhood and by the way, don't run off and get killed.

It's all a bit silly.

We need an rvn

True, although the nature of her appearances were very fleeting and almost ghost like. Not sure if she has the ability to hang around long enough for investigations. I'm sure we'll find out more shortly.
She could have also just gone back and said, hey michael, it's me and I'm alive don't torture yourself for your entire childhood and by the way, don't run off and get killed.

It's all a bit silly.
It's a shame as I thought they actually had a decent story line with the angel thing at first, and I really like the captain too.

Member 39557

It's a shame as I thought they actually had a decent story line with the angel thing at first, and I really like the captain too.
Yes, it was good up until the reveal. Even that was quite good until I started thinking about it. Captain Pike is very good though, I'd like them to keep him around if possible.

Andersons Dietician

What are they supposed to be finding a way around? The DNA?

We need an rvn

What are they supposed to be finding a way around? The DNA?
I think the part you are talking about was how it was a perfect DNA match for Michael, hence the comment was that she was the red angel instead of the mum. But they answered that in the fact that some (forget the name what species) daughter's DNA is near identical to the mum, hence why they thought she was the red angel. Although you'd have thought if that was a "known fact", the fact they said nearly should and the technology available would also mean they should have been able to know Michael wasn't the red angel.

On a side note, I don't compare star trek's to star trek's and am enjoying it to be fair. If enterprise or discovery were to start today imagine the things people would pick up on and complain about. "you can't do that because this has already been disproven" etc. Just enjoy and the show and hopefully they'll keep Pike around as it seems to be working now.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I thought the 7 signals had already appeared in the beginning of the season ??:confused:??

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
In hindsight worf probably regrets not turning a blind eye after he lost dax.

Amir

Over the years I've seen good Star Trek and bad Star Trek. I've rarely seen boring Star Trek such as the latest episode. Tech talk and speeches. They could have edited it to 10-15 minutes and added it to the season finale next week.

The one redeeming quality of it was getting a chance to see the Enterprise-A. Which is not really a great endorsement of a show reaching its season peak.

BristolRuss

Over the years I've seen good Star Trek and bad Star Trek. I've rarely seen boring Star Trek such as the latest episode. Tech talk and speeches. They could have edited it to 10-15 minutes and added it to the season finale next week.

The one redeeming quality of it was getting a chance to see the Enterprise-A. Which is not really a great endorsement of a show reaching its season peak.
That's not the Enterprise-A. That won't be launched for another 29 years.

BristolRuss

Really? I thought Enterprise A was the ship of Pike and later Kirk.
The ToS Enterprise (and one in Discovery) was the NCC-1701. It underwent a refit at the start of first movie and was later destroyed in Star Trek III. We get introduced to the Enterprise-A (NCC-1701-A) at the end of Star Trek IV. Funnily enough the Enterprise-A is just another Constitution class ship, so is identical to the first (refit) Enterprise, despite the Constitution class being a 40 year old design by that point.

Dante

Average bang
Season 2 has been brilliant. One of the most tightly written stories I've seen in sci-fi in years. The action and battle scenes were immense throughout. The sort of thing you'd expect to see in a blockbuster, not a TV show.

Can't wait for season 3.