Television Star Trek

Andersons Dietician

Season 2 has been brilliant. One of the most tightly written stories I've seen in sci-fi in years. The action and battle scenes were immense throughout. The sort of thing you'd expect to see in a blockbuster, not a TV show.

Can't wait for season 3.
Agreed, but they must have saved a lot for those last 2 episodes. That
gravity fight scene
was I thought brilliant as well.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I'm still confused.

Why was enterprise the center of attraction at the end of season 2 instead of discovery ? So season 3 is going to be about enterprise ? Or it will feature both..enterprise and discovery.

Imo season 3 should be about only discovery way into the future which shows us the trek universe post ds9/voy.

roseguy64

I'm still confused.

Why was enterprise the center of attraction at the end of season 2 instead of discovery ? So season 3 is going to be about enterprise ? Or it will feature both..enterprise and discovery.

Imo season 3 should be about only discovery way into the future which shows us the trek universe post ds9/voy.
I assume that's what will happen. They likely didn't want to spoil anything for next season so just wanted to wrap up characters we won't see again.

Reddy Rederson

Just finished season 2 and I have to say it’s a vast improvement on season 1. I liked that they gave everyone more to do this season instead of everything being about Burnham, which was really ridiculous in the time loop episode. They even managed to make her a more rounded character this season as well. It’s still got nothing on ds9, but a great step in the right direction.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Loved both of the seasons..can't wait for season 3!

Oldyella

Loved both of the seasons..can't wait for season 3!
Wasn't a fan of season 1, although didn't dislike it as much as some, just didn't appeal. Thought season 2 was a big improvement, not sure how much of that was down to Pike though who was very good.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Aye, that was a much better season.

Pike was excellent and although they had the show still focused a bit too much on Michael they did finally add a little more development to some of the other crew (although still not enough for me to remember the character names but at least they had lines to say now. Slow progress!).

Parma Dewol

Finished Season 2 of Discovery yesterday and really enjoyed it. A few slow episodes in the middle, but it really picked up pace and built nicely to that finale. Thought Captain Pike was excellent throughout, and Commander Saru too.

I was convinced that Control would turn out to be the beginnings of The Borg, but now I'm not so sure. Intrigued to see how that story line develops!

Parma Dewol

Posted this in the 'Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?' thread, but thought I'd add it here too for any Trekkies among us:
After enjoying season two of Star Trek Discovery, I thought revisiting Deep Space 9 could be worth a shout. I watched some of it when I was younger, but didn't give it my full attention and my sister always goes on about how amazing the show is. The problem is that there are a lot of episodes to get through, and the general consensus is that you need to revisit The Next Generation first to fully appreciate DS9. After a bit of searching I found what is proving to be a very useful set of episode guides:
  1. Star Trek: The Next Generation In 40 Hours
  2. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine In 82.5 Hours
The lists purport to cover all the great episodes and it's working so far; we're up to season three of TNG, and despite the show's age, it's holding up rather well. Some cracking episodes already and I figure it'll only get better as the show matures.

I'd recommend those two links for anyone thinking about a Star Trek binge, which is easy to do as all of TNG and DS9 are available to watch on Netflix.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Finished Season 2 of Discovery yesterday and really enjoyed it. A few slow episodes in the middle, but it really picked up pace and built nicely to that finale. Thought Captain Pike was excellent throughout, and Commander Saru too.

I was convinced that Control would turn out to be the beginnings of The Borg, but now I'm not so sure. Intrigued to see how that story line develops!
I thought that too. Agreed on Saru, his character has grown on me. If nothing else I love how he walks.

OneUnited24

Lines up with all good things.

This show represents my greatest hope and deepest fear

Please get it right!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
TNG had such a beautiful and fitting final episode. I mentioned this in the Orville thread, but I'm a little worried that Trek ideas have just been exhausted - that entire genre has been fully mined by now. And the fact that they got Picard back adds to the feeling.
Still, hoping against hope etc.

OneUnited24

TNG had such a beautiful and fitting final episode. I mentioned this in the Orville thread, but I'm a little worried that Trek ideas have just been exhausted - that entire genre has been fully mined by now. And the fact that they got Picard back adds to the feeling.
The whole thing around ownership of licenses has also killed it somewhat. It lead to the dilution of the brand by making Star Wars type trek (except Star Trek beyond. I really liked that one) and now it isn’t what fans thought it was.

There’s a lot you can do with Trek. It just needs the writers

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Some of the TNG writers are now doing Orville. Braga in particular, needs to come back to doing Star Trek.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Some of the TNG writers are now doing Orville. Braga in particular, needs to come back to doing Star Trek.
Braga is the cause of Star Trek being off air for years. Most of Enterprise is stuff he rehashed from Voyager, which is a shame because Enterprise could have been so much more.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Braga is the cause of Star Trek being off air for years. Most of Enterprise is stuff he rehashed from Voyager, which is a shame because Enterprise could have been so much more.
Enterprise seasons 3 and 4 were some of the best Trek ever imo. They sacked the writers after season 1 or 2 (can't remember) and did a bit of a refresh. The season long story arcs were in the expanse and Manny Coto's writing made a massive difference.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Enterprise seasons 3 and 4 were some of the best Trek ever imo. They sacked the writers after season 1 or 2 (can't remember) and did a bit of a refresh. The season long story arcs were in the expanse and Manny Coto's writing made a massive difference.
Agree completely, the expanse arc is probably my favourite arc in all of Star Trek, though I have yet to watch all of DS9. There are still episodes in that season that were essentially lifted straight from Voyager though. It’s more obvious after watching all of Voyager in one go beforehand, which is what I did.

It’s fair to say the repetition of storylines contributed to Enterprise’s demise, however, and Braga was a big part of that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As a trekkie i must admit that Discovery is the worst star trek ever. I watched it just because it is star trek so "i must". Story was so-so but characters ( except Pike) are awful. Safe to say that i will never rewatch Discovery again.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Better than last 2 seasons of DS9?:)
In general for me TNG and DS9》Voyager》Star trek and Enterprise》》》》》》》》》》》》》Discovery

Bole Top

DS9 is my personal favourite and not only the ST I like the most, but also my favorite TV show in general. I just wanted to point that out so I don't have to read all that "you're not a real trekkie if you love Discovery" bullshit, because I could say the same to ENT and VOY fans.

for me, the sheer depth of DS9, the "greyness", the acting and characters, passion, politics, war, economy, religion and even romance, that unique combination of basically everything - was never matched by any other ST. but the thing is, DS9 also had the luxury of being produced in right time and had some continuity on other beloved ST series - TNG. yes, it's a luxury when you can afford to simply borrow characters from previous series that you know audience will respond positively to. it's also great when you don't really have competition, so if you don't like TNG or DS9, but love the setting and you're in late 80's, good luck finding a better alternative in those years. it seems that people are comparing how they feel after watching (and rewatching) 9 seasons of both series (x24 episodes in each season) to how they feel about Discovery's first two seasons or just the first one, for those who already gave up on it. I find it a bit unfair.

I just finished Discovery and I think it's is very good on its own. it's different, it's faster and darker, it's blockbuster show. it's not trying to be another TNG or DS9, that much is obvious just by looking at number of episodes. there's basically no rest, none of those "plotless" episodes whose only point is to get us to know characters better. those episodes about Quark and his bar, about crew spending their vacation on Risa, various personal and romantic episodes from each show... Discovery lacks that so it's obviously much harder to bond with current crew. I mean, Picard got 9 seasons and couple of movies. Kirk was the first captain. not to mention Worf and O'Brien who were in TNG since 1987. all to the end and then just moved to DS9 that lasted until 1999. of course there's not going to be similar "bonding" when there's different captain every season and he gets about 7 or 8 episodes in which he's the main character.

I'd really like Discovery and DS9 to switch places, to expose modern fans only to the first season of DS9 after watching potential 6 or 7 seasons of Discovery and then ask them to compare them. because DS9 also needed time to get going and I'm saying that as a hopeless DS9 fanboy. when I compare the first two seasons of Discovery to first two seasons of any other ST series, I simply can't find any reason to complain. not to mention it eats Voyager for breakfast. I mean, you can enjoy Discovery if you like J.J. Abrams movies, but Voyager you can't enjoy because it offers nothing, it's 9 seasons of emptiness despite having the most potential.

so yeah, I'm looking forward to third season.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
DS9 is my personal favourite and not only the ST I like the most, but also my favorite TV show in general. I just wanted to point that out so I don't have to read all that "you're not a real trekkie if you love Discovery" bullshit, because I could say the same to ENT and VOY fans.

for me, the sheer depth of DS9, the "greyness", the acting and characters, passion, politics, war, economy, religion and even romance, that unique combination of basically everything - was never matched by any other ST. but the thing is, DS9 also had the luxury of being produced in right time and had some continuity on other beloved ST series - TNG. yes, it's a luxury when you can afford to simply borrow characters from previous series that you know audience will respond positively to. it's also great when you don't really have competition, so if you don't like TNG or DS9, but love the setting and you're in late 80's, good luck finding a better alternative in those years. it seems that people are comparing how they feel after watching (and rewatching) 9 seasons of both series (x24 episodes in each season) to how they feel about Discovery's first two seasons or just the first one, for those who already gave up on it. I find it a bit unfair.

I just finished Discovery and I think it's is very good on its own. it's different, it's faster and darker, it's blockbuster show. it's not trying to be another TNG or DS9, that much is obvious just by looking at number of episodes. there's basically no rest, none of those "plotless" episodes whose only point is to get us to know characters better. those episodes about Quark and his bar, about crew spending their vacation on Risa, various personal and romantic episodes from each show... Discovery lacks that so it's obviously much harder to bond with current crew. I mean, Picard got 9 seasons and couple of movies. Kirk was the first captain. not to mention Worf and O'Brien who were in TNG since 1987. all to the end and then just moved to DS9 that lasted until 1999. of course there's not going to be similar "bonding" when there's different captain every season and he gets about 7 or 8 episodes in which he's the main character.

I'd really like Discovery and DS9 to switch places, to expose modern fans only to the first season of DS9 after watching potential 6 or 7 seasons of Discovery and then ask them to compare them. because DS9 also needed time to get going and I'm saying that as a hopeless DS9 fanboy. when I compare the first two seasons of Discovery to first two seasons of any other ST series, I simply can't find any reason to complain. not to mention it eats Voyager for breakfast. I mean, you can enjoy Discovery if you like J.J. Abrams movies, but Voyager you can't enjoy because it offers nothing, it's 9 seasons of emptiness despite having the most potential.

so yeah, I'm looking forward to third season.
Agreed. DS9 for me was the only Trek series I could get into. The character development and story archs from season to season is ridiculously well done in DS9. My favourite SciFi series along my greats:

1: Firefly
2: BSG
3: Farscape
4: DS9