Television Star Trek

pauldyson1uk

I enjoyed season 2 of Discovery , good story line, plenty of action, lots to like.
Pike and Saru excellent , also like Tilly a bit scatty but she got the job done.
The female Scotty was a scream.
Micheal and Spock also excellent, I could see Leonard Nimoy at then end.
Cant wait for season 3.

Reddy Rederson

The DS9 doc 'What we left behind' is released on tuseday for those interested. Bluray/dvd and on itunes. Honestly cant wait to see it. Love ds9, might be time to start another run through after watching the doc.

Pagh Wraith

Also can't wait to see it. Actually, I've been looking forward to this for a long time and followed its progress and then totally missed the first release in May. Here's a great interview with some of the actors:

That alone makes up for having to endure that Discovery tripe which I finally gave up halfway through season two.

Simbo

Could be awesome, just hope they stay away from old man jokes, please.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He looks and sounds pretty frail which I think will help the story.

I could never take him seriously when he was doing some action scenes for some reason.

Eriku

Production values and stuff makes me feel like this might be in the DSC mould... I really hope I'm wrong and that they don't dig up Picard only to stick him into some generic sci-fi.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Just finished watching the old Trek movies (pre-TNG). Apart from 2 and maybe 6, nothing like that will be made today. Too slow for a major release. And the actors were and looked too old.
Based on how much they were like Trek (and whether they were any good), I'd go:
3 1 6 2 4
(didn't see 5).

1 in particular was painfully slow but was a nice idea that could have been done with about 10 minutes less of shots lingering on the hull of the Enterprise. It was like a decent TOS episode shot on a big budget, and following a Trek tradition there is no action climax.
2 stands out from the rest as an action-driven movie with some ok character work, and a memorable end.
3 was the perfect adaptation of Trek into a movie form IMO (Kirk and the others' commitment to Spock, the hubris of the genesis machine, and the added excitement of the Klingon threat.
4 was a stupid concept done semi-seriously. Also a very on-the-nose environmental message.
The message from 6 couldn't have been clearer, given that it was released as the Cold War was ending. (They literally use the words cold war and gulag; the Klingons have destroyed their economy and environment to compete militarily). It's an excellent send-off to Kirk, Spock, and the rest*, and it's made explicit that they're passing on the torch to the ummm next generation (Worf is involved). But one of the villains was very obvious even though I think that was supposed to be a surprise.

*Generations and STD and the reboot aren't real.

stevoc

Sad news Deep space 9 was the only Star trek i could get into as a kid, really enjoyed that show. Rewatched it again a few months back and it was great, ahead of its time.

Last edited:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Sad news Deep space 9 was the only Star trek i could get into as a kid, really enjoyed that show. Rewatched it again a few months back and it was great, ahead of its time.
It is set in the future, so yes. ;)

Bole Top

"What We Left Behind" is comfortably the best Star Trek documentary, especially since I also consider DS9 to be the best Star Trek series. any DS9 or ST fan should watch it.

parkthebuslads

"What We Left Behind" is comfortably the best Star Trek documentary, especially since I also consider DS9 to be the best Star Trek series. any DS9 or ST fan should watch it.
I was hoping it would offer some explanation as to what exactly they were thinking with Vic Fontaine but alas, it remains a mystery.

It is very good however, although a little awkward viewing at times (especially with Marc Alaimo).

Pagh Wraith

Just watched it. Worthy retrospective of my favourite ever show.

Edit: Rene Auberjonois has died? That completely passed me by. RIP

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As we approach the release of "Picard", I an going to re-watch TNG on Netflix.

I've not seen any of it for many, many years.

Will it be horribly dated?

Will I be able to resit skipping the Wesley Crusher heavy episodes?

Will Worf be as awesome as I remember?

There are four lights!

Dante

Average bang
Decent first episode for Picard, I thought.

It's good to see the Star Trek franchise fully move away from it's kitsch beginnings and embrace stories that are more multifaceted.

Weird to see a Romulan with an Irish accent, though.

Coxy

The first ep of Picard has excellent reviews, just have to decide, iof to watch 1 at a time of binge watch when it is all out.
Yup I'm in the same boat. Hate this 'old' style of weekly shows. I might just wait till they are all on - but it will be hard I'm desperate to see it.

parkthebuslads

Did you like TNG/DS9? Dante's review and his views on Discovery and TNG make me think this is not for me.
I did, although it's always difficult to judge such shows years later. Certainly they both have a lot of really poor episodes but DS9 in particular still holds up, even allowing for the inevitable bias that I must have.

Picard matches the modern feel of Discovery but seems to share little else, at least that is the impression the pilot gave me.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd say the difference is that this show already seems to have heart and soul which is something Discovery lacked.
100% agree. The Discovery episodes I've seen were pretty unimpressive.

Stewart and some of the old characters from TNG and Voyager in this new production style look very promising.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
First episode was very good. Can’t wait to see the rest.