Television Star Trek

tombombadil

It's on. I'm up to episode 15 of the original series. I can watch an episode a day going to and from work on the train.
My 2 year mission to explore unseen episodes.
lol, safe travels, intrepid explorer.

I personally love TNG the best. It challenged us to think. Plus that was the version i watched as a kid growing up. So there's nostalgia as well.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I'll finish the original series today. There were a few episodes that I had never seen.
I'll load the next generation onto my iPad tomorrow. I reckon I've only seen half of those because the 80s were a drug fuelled blur.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Just at the end of series 3. Locutus of Borg. Great stuff apart from a few shitty eps so far.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Is this the great migration of Star Wars fans?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Not sure about the timeline, i was hoping that any new series would be set post DS9/VGR. or in the decades before TNG.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Doesn't do much for me, unfortunately. Maybe the films just soured it for me. :cool:
I enjoyed the films, totally different from the normal Star Trek but there's nothing wrong with that, keep them separate. The only frustrating element was the use of old Spock in film 2, that was unnecessary and the only fault in Darkness tbh. It's a film I've rewatched a few times too (and I enjoy the old Star Treks too).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Has anything been confirmed about the show itself?
Nothing other than it will start in January of 2017. It has no title, timeline, or confirmed characters yet. Although all characters will be new, as well as the alien species.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I worked on a treatment for a new Star Trek series back in 2005, so I'm curious to see how this turns out.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Feck. I need to hurry up with the old ones I'm watching. Since I bought the scooter I'm hardly watching any now because I don't get the train to work anymore. I was watching 2 eps a day then. Lucky if I watch one a week at the mo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Was that the one based on the Academy?
No, the timeline was in the 29th Century (as opposed to the 23rd) when the Temporal Prime Directive replaced the ordinary prime directive. It was loosely based around the Voyager episode Relativity, where the "Timeship Relativity" policed different periods of time to avoid nefarious attempts to change history.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No, the timeline was in the 29th Century (as opposed to the 23rd) when the Temporal Prime Directive replaced the ordinary prime directive. It was loosely based around the Voyager episode Relativity, where the "Timeship Relativity" policed different periods of time to avoid nefarious attempts to change history.
I know exactly the episode you mean of Voyager, one of my favorites.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I know exactly the episode you mean of Voyager, one of my favorites.
Yeah, I'm a massive fan of any of the time travel episodes as well as those that stretch space, dimensions etc. "Where no one has gone before" is one of my favorite early TNG episodes. There were also a couple of early Enterprise episodes that dealt with time travel that were fantastic.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, I'm a massive fan of any of the time travel episodes as well as those that stretch space, dimensions etc. "Where no one has gone before" is one of my favorite early TNG episodes. There were also a couple of early Enterprise episodes that dealt with time travel that were fantastic.
Been a while since I watched Timeless but I remember that was a very good episode of Voyager and there's that obvious one in DS9 when they go back to the Original with the Tribbles. But yeah agreed, the time travel ones were always good fun.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Has anything been confirmed about the show itself?
Nothing other than it will start in January of 2017. It has no title, timeline, or confirmed characters yet. Although all characters will be new, as well as the alien species.
I was under the impression that a new series would be set in a period either concurrent to or not many years after the Original series...

Although TNG was the first the one which got me hooked if you will, Deep Space Nine and Voyager are my favourites (just re-read a 1,400 page VGR fanfic last week). That being said, there is a lot fo untol history during the first half tf the 24th Century.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I was under the impression that a new series would be set in a period either concurrent to or not many years after the Original series...

Although TNG was the first the one which got me hooked if you will, Deep Space Nine and Voyager are my favourites (just re-read a 1,400 page VGR fanfic last week). That being said, there is a lot fo untol history during the first half tf the 24th Century.
For me, there are more writing opportunities that exist after the DS9 timeline since it is the furthest the series got. Time travel and the ability to go to different galaxies or Universes opens up so much to write about.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
For me, there are more writing opportunities that exist after the DS9 timeline since it is the furthest the series got. Time travel and the ability to go to different galaxies or Universes opens up so much to write about.
You've got to be careful with that time travel lark, wouldn't want to tamper with the timeline...:smirk:

The stresses of the Dominion War wrought much upon the species of the Alpha Quadrant though, so surviving the peace could be a more difficult challenge for the Federation than some might have supposed. I wouldn't be averse to a few periodic returns to the Delta Quadrant either (provided they don't significantly rewrite the plot lines VOY left us with), maybe as a task force about which the series could be based.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm really dreading this - what they did in the films pretty much rewrites Trek history but more importantly also erases any trace of the old style of the TV shows*. Given that the same guys are in charge here...:nervous:

Within the original timelines, I wonder whether there is room to add a series. Before ENT is meaningless, and there are no gaps between TNG-DS9-VOY. Between ENT and TOS would basically be the same as the original series.
I guess they could do a post-Dominion thing, or maybe just go far into the future beyond Voyager.

*I haven't seen Enterprise so I'm basing this on the rest

Last edited:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I really can't remember Enterprise except for one scene where the captain was tied up with the big-titted Vulcan. They tried to wriggle free but he ended up with his face in her tits.

or did I dream that?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm really dreading this - what they did in the films pretty much rewrites Trek history but more importantly also erases any trace of the old style of the TV shows*. Given that the same guys are in charge here...:nervous:

Within the original timelines, I wonder whether there is room to add a series. Before ENT is meaningless, and there are no gaps between TNG-DS9-VOY. Between ENT and TOS would basically be the same as the original series.
I guess they could do a post-Dominion thing, or maybe just go far into the future beyond Voyager.

*I haven't seen Enterprise so I'm basing this on the rest
Far into the future is where its at 25th century is a bit meh. Go to the 29th.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
DS9 was the best followed by voyager. The final season of enterprise was also quite good.

tng is a classic.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So excited and simultaneously so sure they will completely screw this up.
Look at the drop from DS9 to Voyager to Enterprise to JJ Abrams.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The online only things is a bit weird, but i guess they are promoting their streaming service and want this as one of the main shows. Not a big deal if you have a smart tv app.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I liked it when I saw it, but at that time I hadn't seen much of the old TV trek. The more I saw of that the less I liked it.
It has the same names but it's completely different.

Amir

I recently watched Enterprise, which I only saw bits of when it first aired. It was a lot better than I thought it was. I also saw some interviews with the creators and realized some of their problems. The cable channel broadcasting it wasn't doing them any favours at all.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I recently watched Enterprise, which I only saw bits of when it first aired. It was a lot better than I thought it was. I also saw some interviews with the creators and realized some of their problems. The cable channel broadcasting it wasn't doing them any favours at all.
I've seen barely 5 episodes. I got traumatised by the theme song :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff