Television Star Trek

Amir

I'm enjoying the series, but I feel like it's not really what I expected. It feels like the overall seasons theme is what would typically have been a single Star Trek episode. Then presuming this is a series one off, they've done cool things with old characters as individual 'woah' moments that you'd want explored over seasons but instead we won't get to see them fleshed out/explored further.
Except they already announced season 2.

Member 39557

Thought it should have ended 10 mins before the end. That would have been perfect.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Thought it was decent, some episodes were better than others.

Pagh Wraith

The last twenty minutes saved a lot. The final two-parter was really bad. I was scared for a moment they would end with Picard's death which would have been a tragedy. The whole death and subsequent mourning scene was so, I don't know... whatever the exact opposite of touching is. For this great man to die surrounded by these empty character shells, I don't think I would have bothered with season two. What is the point of this sword-wielding Romulan? Are we supposed to care about him? Same with Agnes. Who is a murderer by the way, which the show seems to have forgotten about.

What followed was really good however. I loved the scene between Picard and Data.

Still, the writing on this show is just bad. This miracle tool they were given by the synths must have been the laziest piece of writing I have seen for a long time. I'd give this season a 5/10. 95% of those 5 are down to Patrick Stewart who is brilliant.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The last twenty minutes saved a lot. The final two-parter was really bad. I was scared for a moment they would end with Picard's death which would have been a tragedy. The whole death and subsequent mourning scene was so, I don't know... whatever the exact opposite of touching is. For this great man to die surrounded by these empty character shells, I don't think I would have bothered with season two. What is the point of this sword-wielding Romulan? Are we supposed to care about him? Same with Agnes. Who is a murderer by the way, which the show seems to have forgotten about.

What followed was really good however. I loved the scene between Picard and Data.

Still, the writing on this show is just bad. This miracle tool they were given by the synths must have been the laziest piece of writing I have seen for a long time. I'd give this season a 5/10. 95% of those 5 are down to Patrick Stewart who is brilliant.
Didn't we ask this about Riker a few episodes ago ? This seems to have been answered last episode - it was to set up the character for future activities. Same is probably true with Elnor.

Last edited:

Drifter

American
Not really a Star Trek fan,liked the recent movies. But this was quite enjoyable .Ending was a bit cliched ,but Picard's scenes was touching.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Last episode was really bad.

Good start, okay middle, poor end.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://www.theguardian.com/culture...ot-that-boldly-goes-where-nobody-wanted-it-to

Yet the idea that the grittiness of shows such as Picard makes it mature and relevant, while the ethos of yesteryear Star Trek is now naive or too old-fashioned to survive, feels misjudged. The hope, optimism and sincerity of the original 60s series was in itself a radical act: a way of portraying the future as it should be (a multiracial cast in a time of civil rights struggle; peace and cooperation in a time of nuclear terror), rather than merely wallowing in things as they were.

In the 90s, the darker spin-off show Deep Space Nine pre-empted Picard’s themes by 27 years, asking what happens when the principles of the Federation are compromised by war. The difference was that Deep Space Nine, much like the best of Star Trek, managed to balance its meatier themes of PTSD, faith and wartime atrocities with episodes where everyone got dressed up to visit a holographic version of 60s Las Vegas.

It is this, more than anything else, that is fundamentally lacking from modern Star Trek: a sense of tonal texture, a spirit of curiosity about different worlds and cultures, and the crackling chemistry of a warm and interesting crew. Instead, as is the case with Picard, its new characters have felt like broadly drawn “badasses” at best and, at worst, downright cold and unlikable. The prime example being Michelle Hurd’s new addition Raffi: the wise-cracking ex-Starfleet officer who insists on calling Picard “JL” (instead of Jean-Luc), and can often be seen vaping.
And yet the appetite of modern audiences for that bygone era of Star Trek storytelling still exists. Just take the popularity of one of the strangest things on TV: The Orville. Originally trailed as Seth MacFarlane’s Family Guy-esque parody of Star Trek-style sci-fi, it has instead revealed itself as a trojan horse for his at-times entirely sincere Star Trek: The Next Generation fan-fiction, featuring MacFarlane cosplaying as the dashing captain of his very own Enterprise. Its aesthetics are similar, its stories are similar, it is clearly based around Roddenberry’s ethos of exploration and optimism. There are even episodes written and directed by 90s Star Trek writers and directors.

As we all cower in our homes for fear of a threat that we cannot see, a dose of optimism about the future would be more appreciated than ever. But, sadly, all we are left with is a choice between Star Trek that doesn’t really feel like Star Trek at all, or a dodgy covers band playing the greatest hits. What a fate for a once-great franchise.
Again, I haven't seen Picard, but the characterisation stood out to me in STD too. There were either total nerds or there were cold action heroes. Michael Burnham was both. None had any depth. Generic action series things.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
7/10 for me. Probably drop to a 6 on a rewatch but come on it's Picard.

The end didn't bother me too much it removes the big issue dogging him since the end of TNG.

I wasn't keen on the Data thing I guess it was there to reinforce the fact that he lives on as himself in the golem.

Maybe I'll give it 8 for now as I'd give Narissa 1.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Excellent show. After that insult to Star trek (Discovery) again true star trek series. I love it.
@Eriku . I disagree with you. I think that this is close to "old" star trek.

And this show doesn't have annoying characters like Crusher family or the worst character ever Michael.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Finished it. Thought it was really good even if it got a bit Mass Effecty towards the end. And the only reason why I didn't like that part was because it just reminded me how bullshit the "inevitability of destruction" stuff was in Mass Effect.

7/10 or a B+. Just don't think it's entirely necessary to have as a show for more than one season so it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
"He is maybe stunned."
Answer: "Romulan disruptor doesn't have a stun".

I laughed so much on that scene

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Excellent show. After that insult to Star trek (Discovery) again true star trek series. I love it.
@Eriku . I disagree with you. I think that this is close to "old" star trek.

And this show doesn't have annoying characters like Crusher family or the worst character ever Michael.
Spot on.

Parma Dewol

Didn't enjoy this, sadly. Thought the opening episode was really good, and was so excited to see how the show would develop, but I found myself falling asleep in subsequent episodes. Tried to persevere, but by the end I'd pretty much lost interest.

Such a shame as a really good Trek show is long overdue. Must admit I did enjoy some of the scenes with the original TNG cast - those characters are so memorable I could happily watch Picard and Riker sit on a bench shooting the breeze for half an hour - but I didn't find any of the new characters particularly interesting.

Pagh Wraith

I see it similarly. Actually really liked the beginning of the season but then it kind of fizzled out. None of Picard's crew are particularly interesting and the guest stars added some nostalgia more than anything.

And if Star Trek writing continues like this, we'll soon know how many plot holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

Fingeredmouse

I see it similarly. Actually really liked the beginning of the season but then it kind of fizzled out. None of Picard's crew are particularly interesting and the guest stars added some nostalgia more than anything.

And if Star Trek writing continues like this, we'll soon know how many plot holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I also liked the start and felt it turned into Discovery level plot spaghetti.

parkthebuslads

I'm still so dissapointed by what they have done with Trek, Picard and Seven and by how terrible it was. What makes it worst is being unable to look away:houllier:.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm still so dissapointed by what they have done with Trek, Picard and Seven and by how terrible it was. What makes it worst is being unable to look away:houllier:.
I really liked season 1. And the best bit is they have now established the characters and set the table nicely for season 2 and beyond, when the quality of writing has historically, steadily improved.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I really liked season 1. And the best bit is they have now established the characters and set the table nicely for season 2 and beyond, when the quality of writing has historically, steadily improved.
Yeah I'll watch the next series - it's had chance to find its feet now and the biggest issue has been solved going forwards.

Not happy about Seven looking like she's going to drink from the furry cup though.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Except discovery. After first season of shit we got second season of complete shit. I am even afraid to watch season 3. :lol:

Bole Top

it's basically Discovery lite, only with Picard in leading role, less darkness and with far less action and intensity. it really has nothing in common wih TNG or VOY as there are no stand alone episodes, there's still no space exploration and almost no space scenes at all. of those 10 episodes about 8 of them were pure fillers. I wouldn't really mind if those 8 episodes between the first and the last one were great fillers, but they weren't. imo, the last episode was the only trully great episode in entire show.

my main grip is that "Picard" simply has no strenght and uses nostalgia as its main card. it has the worst set of regular characters I've ever seen in any ST show, which makes it impossible to build any kind of suspense. Picard can't die because of obvious reasons and you can't really care for any other character because they're simply afwul and boring. those you do care for, you care because you used to watch them for so long in previous shows. which means, everything you like about "Picard", you like it because you watched previous shows. you care for Data because of TNG, you care for Riker because of TNG, you care for Seven because of VOY etc. everyone else are just meh.

despite everything, it's a solid 7 from me. it's Star Trek, it's Picard and given how old he is and the fact I'm not really expecting another TNG/DS9 to ever be released, I'll take it.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
It's been a while since I sat down and watched a full series of Star Trek and I really enjoyed this. I found Voyager a bit meh but there were a few gems of episodes. I never went for the Scott Bacula Enterprise but I really enjoyed this one. A few characters bugged me and the blonde doctor was one but overall I enjoyed this.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As someone who thinks that Romulans are good guys here or at least their cause is right i didn't like that final battle. How much time General Oh needs to fire bloody guns:lol:.

Fire all guns!! Look, how easy it is. Instead she couple of times says "Prepare all guns", "On my mark" etc...bloody hell. You need to destroy one small village with 200 warbirds. You need 2 seconds for that and one shot from one ship.

Yeah, i know; i have a problem with that kind of stuff. I always analyze too much.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Hype levels are off the charts!

https://jacobbacharach.com/2020/04/17/all-good-things/

But Chabon’s instinct wasn’t entirely wrong. There was an interesting story to be told about an exhausted Utopia, but it required a subtler touch. The setting should not be that different. The Romulan homeworld has still been destroyed, but unlike Picard, which imagined that the destruction of a single world in a vast “Star Empire” somehow sent every Romulan fleeing toward the neutral zone, this was a terrible but localized catastrophe: a Hurrican Katrina of the galaxy’s future. Ever since the Dominion War, a fraught but durable peace has prevailed. Many Romulans have ended up resettling on Earth and throughout the Federation. Picard can even have his former Tal Shiar friends and caretakers.

Picard is still old and grouchy, frustrated with what Starfleet and the Federation have become, but emphatically not because they have become Space MAGA. Rather, he is exhausted because, contra the Picard that was made, true artificial intelligence has become commonplace. Bruce Maddox unlocked the secrets of the positronic brain, and with Voyager’s return, The Doctor’s sentient holomatrix has been replicated thousands, millions of times. There are not automatons; they are full, independent people. Moreover, they are more than people, and far from the race of super strong, super intelligent slaves that Picard fretted about in the courtroom drama of Measure of Man, they have come to dominate those areas of the Federation—Starfleet in particular—where once the highest peaks of human achievement were attained. Picard is not prejudiced against them; he is not an anti-android racist. He just looks at a society that more than ever has sunk into mere luxury—travel, food, consumption, fine wine—without the countervailing force of achievement and exploration, of striving and struggle for knowledge, and feels . . . exhausted. Has humanity become little more than a tired race of cosseted pets?

Then, in flashback, we see a precipitating event: a Borg Cube (yes, the same Borg Cube that the actual show cursed us with) en route to attack the Alpha Quadrant. But this time it is dispatched with almost comical ease. A fleet of Federation ships—neat-sentient ships, crewed by superhuman androids and holograms—sets upon it near the former Romulan neutral zone and easily defeats it. (Before, by the way, the Romulan sun goes nova.) It founders in space. Humans and Romulans begin the Borg Reclamation Project. Only . . .

Years later, in the show’s present, a slow-dawning and then terrifying realization. AI is beginning to die. A (apologies for the gross topicality) sort of virus has entered their systems, incurable and seemingly contagious. And then . . . Bruce Maddox disappears.

And then mad, bad Admiral Janeway calls Picard out of retirement to pursue the mystery. For who now can command a starship, at least among the mere humans. And here Picard puts together his ragtag team on an old, pre-AI ship. Seven of Nine, who instead of a new character we don’t care about is the one living in ragtag isolation, so far from her former place in a collective! Hey, a couple of the kids from Below Decks, now All Grown Up. His Romulan friends, who may have motives of their own. And thus they quest out into the galaxy, a crew on a ship trying to solve the mystery of what happened to the androids, what happened to Bruce Maddox, leading them eventually to the Borg Cube, the mystery of the android plague, the destruction of the Romulan sun, and the question of whether a Utopia can remain vital forever.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As someone who thinks that Romulans are good guys here or at least their cause is right i didn't like that final battle. How much time General Oh needs to fire bloody guns:lol:.

Fire all guns!! Look, how easy it is. Instead she couple of times says "Prepare all guns", "On my mark" etc...bloody hell. You need to destroy one small village with 200 warbirds. You need 2 seconds for that and one shot from one ship.

Yeah, i know; i have a problem with that kind of stuff. I always analyze too much.

One of the issues I found with season one is....

...we were left wondering who the antagonists were all along. For much of the year we thought it was the Tal Shiar/Zhat Vash Romulans and then we we thought it may be the androids. Maybe that was a part of the plan all along - to create a bit of misdirection.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
One of the issues I found with season one is....

...we were left wondering who the antagonists were all along. For much of the year we thought it was the Tal Shiar/Zhat Vash Romulans and then we we thought it may be the androids. Maybe that was a part of the plan all along - to create a bit of misdirection.
Whole idea is similiar to TNG: Measure of a man and Voy: Flesh and Blood.
Star trek always had plots about discrimination but sometimes they go too far. I mean in this case; maschine is a maschine. Despite how clever it is and how "human" it looks.

Also after whole season we still don't know two things. One is not that important and it is about Chakotay and Seven relationship (i want to know is she single to make a move :lol: ).
But second thing is very important; what happened with Romulans? How many of them survived super nova? Where they live now?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They divided into two groups. One lived on Vashti and 2nd one formed the Romulan Free State.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Romulan_Free_State
Yeah, for someone who is die hard star trek fan, that is not explanation. Show did it very poorly. Where is home planet of free state? Borg cube is just a ship. Huge huge ship but it is a ship. Plus how many Romulans survived disaster? What happened with Romulan army? How come that Zhat Vash has that many ships? Etc..etc...
I hope that second season will explore Romulans more. TNG was great in that. Every race was pretty good explained.

But again, Romulans always were a mistery....

Fingeredmouse

Yeah, for someone who is die hard star trek fan, that is not explanation. Show did it very poorly. Where is home planet of free state? Borg cube is just a ship. Huge huge ship but it is a ship. Plus how many Romulans survived disaster? What happened with Romulan army? How come that Zhat Vash has that many ships? Etc..etc...
I hope that second season will explore Romulans more. TNG was great in that. Every race was pretty good explained.

Why is the entire Romulan Empire defunct because of the Nova given the massive size of it?
The answer, like everything else regarding this show, is that it sort of looks like Star Trek but actually isn't.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why is the entire Romulan Empire defunct because of the Nova given the massive size of it?
The answer, like everything else regarding this show, is that it sort of looks like Star Trek but actually isn't.
It feels like a fan made show and they robbed a bank to get funding, hired the famous actors, hired WETA Digital at the last minute. But not a good fan made show, more like something we'd all collectively make after a weekend sucking methylated spirits out of a plastic barrel.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

I know mate, it's New Trek rather than Star Trek. Let me call Alex Kurtzman if knows something after ten episodes he just commited.

EDIT: Okay I called and he said he doesn't know what TNG stands for... as in he never watched it.

On a serious note, isn't that Romulan warbird fleet a Commodore's Oh's property from her days in Tal Shiar before actually planting herself into Federation ? I can only guess that supernova wiped entire systems/planets but vessels had some time to escape the cataclysm, probably scattered around parts of the Alpha quadrant where the Romulan Free State was formed. Just random thoughts.

Knowing from experience of watching Star Trek Discovery, the Romulan fleet probably came from another universe which was resulted by supernova or something in that mood... Gods help us all.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I know mate, it's New Trek rather than Star Trek. Let me call Alex Kurtzman if knows something after ten episodes he just commited.

EDIT: Okay I called and he said he doesn't know what TNG stands for... as in he never watched it.

On a serious note, isn't that Romulan warbird fleet a Commodore's Oh's property from her days in Tal Shiar before actually planting herself into Federation ? I can only guess that supernova wiped entire systems/planets but vessels had some time to escape the cataclysm, probably scattered around parts of the Alpha quadrant where the Romulan Free State was formed. Just random thoughts.

Knowing from experience of watching Star Trek Discovery, the Romulan fleet probably came from another universe which was resulted by supernova or something in that mood... Gods help us all.
:lol: . I agree about Kurtzman. He is for Star trek what are D&D for GOT or Yoko for Beatles.
For me the day when Star Trek started to decline was when they created alternate timeline (story about Nero, red matter and two Spocks). From there everything went to shit with Discovery as ultimate shit. When you start to mess with time travel in one episode you cause little disturbance (in force :lol:). But when you go with whole new franchise around time travel you will inevitable create chaos.
Picard is a good show and i liked it but i guess that in 10 episodes it can't repair all this shit what was written and filmed in last 10 years.

And biggest shit incoming....Michael season 3.
:houllier:

Edit: Picard has 7 of 9. That worths something. :drool: :drool:

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
:lol: . I agree about Kurtzman. He is for Star trek what are D&D for GOT or Yoko for Beatles.
For me the day when Star Trek started to decline was when they created alternate timeline (story about Nero, red matter and two Spocks). From there everything went to shit with Discovery as ultimate shit. When you start to mess with time travel in one episode you cause little disturbance (in force :lol:). But when you go with whole new franchise around time travel you will inevitable create chaos.
Picard is a good show and i liked it but i guess that in 10 episodes it can't repair all this shit what was written and filmed in last 10 years.

And biggest shit incoming....Michael season 3. :houllier:
Time travel already fragged Terminator franchise so there's that warning. Some even say subtle decline started somewhere around death of Gene Roddenberry. We're definitely not getting that kind of Star Trek in present time, the same way we'll never get another show like Babylon 5.

I can hope in next season of Picard they'll try to rebuild Federation to previous state and Michael Burnham won't get into Picard's universe claiming that Jean Luc is her grandfather. That's what I like in Picard show - he's old, got sclerosis, he couldn't save Soji's sister from death, he's simply vulnerable especially after Federation kinda forgets about him, so that creates stakes and I kinda care for that type of character more... unlike Michael who can beat the living crap out of klingons with her bare hands. :lol:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I liked it. There is a global crisis going on and frankly all I wanted out of this was for Patrick Stewart to say "Make It So" and "Engage"

The fact I got all that, plus some Jonny Frakes and Brent Spiner screen time with a story I could follow. More than happy.

People make too much of Ret-Coning, this is trying too be its own thing while invoking the old TNG series elements without being a direct continuation. Just switch off and let it be.