Television Star Trek

Mercurial

Well they had to shoehorn the bloke who plays Data in somehow, and seeing as they killed him off twice already, it either had to be as a Human descendant (again) or one of the other 2 robots with his face.
He needs his payday :lol:

dinostar77

Just finished Strange New Worlds. Fantastic show. Best ST since TNG and DS9.

The new enemy, woh. Thats new for Star Trek in terms of how a enemy race is portrayed and they will be interesting. Best onscreen enemy since the Dominion in DS9.
The homage to predator and alien movie was great[./SPOILER]

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is Discovery season 1 on Paramount supposed to be a direct continuation (season 4?) of the 3 seasons on Netflix?

dinostar77

Is Discovery season 1 on Paramount supposed to be a direct continuation (season 4?) of the 3 seasons on Netflix?
No season 1 is season 1. Season 4 is unique to paramount. Seasons 1-3 were on netflix originally.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No season 1 is season 1. Season 4 is unique to paramount. Seasons 1-3 were on netflix originally.
There is no Star Trek season 4 on Paramount? There is just season 1, and according to wiki it seems like it's a continuation of where season 3 on Netflix left it.

dinostar77

There is no Star Trek season 4 on Paramount? There is just season 1, and according to wiki it seems like it's a continuation of where season 3 on Netflix left it.
Im currently on season 4 epsiode 5 of Discovery on paramount +. Was watching last night.

CBS have confirmed that Discovery season 5 will be out before Strange New Worlds season 2, unfortuntely as SNW is awesome, unlike discovery.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
With Kurtzman supposedly nowhere near it, dare we dream that this is actually is a return to form? Matalus does have a history of writing decent characters and more importantly, respecting and embracing fans. I really hope he's nailed it with this one. Fingers crossed.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
With Kurtzman supposedly nowhere near it, dare we dream that this is actually is a return to form? Matalus does have a history of writing decent characters and more importantly, respecting and embracing fans. I really hope he's nailed it with this one. Fingers crossed.
Don't do it to yourself. You'll just end up horribly disappointed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Having the old TNG cast back is incredibly risky imo. On one hand it will temporarily please fans, on the other, it could get stale quickly unless it’s written and executed exceptionally well.

I’m also not encouraged by the fact that seasons 2 and 3 were apparently written and filmed consecutively a couple of years ago, which is ominous given how calamitously bad season 2 was.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
They should really include Riker from first season as regular and this show could be solid as a whole.

Not hyped much about rescue mission just yet, but the scene alone where Picard drinks with his first officer had a proper Trek vibe to it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They should really include Riker from first season as regular and this show could be solid as a whole.

Not hyped much about rescue mission just yet, but the scene alone where Picard drinks with his first officer had a proper Trek vibe to it.
Yeah, one final season of nostalgia, which will be hard to mess up given that most of the TNG cast are back.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Just watched it. Seemed pretty tight and no doubt the story will be a good one. Can't help feeling this has all been done before so far but who cares for a final nostalgia run.

Bobski

So Picard season 3 is actually good, and amazingly enough the closest thing to past Treks out of Discovery and Picard. Probably already killed the interest with their bleak nihilistic mean spirited garbage but fair play, this is good Trek, should have been making it rather than the trash that has been shat out.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
amazingly enough the closest thing to past Treks out of Discovery and Picard.
dont tempt me!

i did like strange new worlds, not great, but fine, and recognisable as trek.
in 2023, there will be juvenile dialogue among the highly-trained professional crew, otherwise they may not be ~relatable~

Bobski

dont tempt me!

in 2023, there will be juvenile dialogue among the highly-trained professional crew, otherwise they may not be ~relatable~
Haven't tried SNW yet to be fair, maybe it is decent.

Agree with you about juvenile dialogue and attitudes of the crew. Turning starships and science facilities into daycare for neurotic adult children, constant weeping and mental breakdowns, if they represent the best of the federation...

Herman Toothrot

dont tempt me!

Watch it. They've finally done it right. It pays as much tribute to Nicholas Meyer and James Horner as TNG. It's nostalgia, for sure, but done right and I hear it only gets better and better.

Loon

:lol:
Can I go straight into this new season of PICARD even if I bailed during the dreadfully shite first season?

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
That first episode was great, but I'm wary. They've lured me in before. The signs suggest things have changed though so who knows?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Why is everything so dark? There was a point at the end where they went into the derelict ship with flashlights, but they shouldn’t have needed them as literally every room, corridor or deck they’d been on by that point had been exactly the same level of ‘energy saving chill out room’

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Why is everything so dark? There was a point at the end where they went into the derelict ship with flashlights, but they shouldn’t have needed them as literally every room, corridor or deck they’d been on by that point had been exactly the same level of ‘energy saving chill out room’
It's modern and adult!
(haven't seen it, but low lighting seems to be a constant for nutrek)

To be fair, it was introduced in Voyager, specifically for the alert scenes:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
After two wasted seasons, I can finally say of Picard: feck, that was good.
I actually enjoyed the first two seasons for being a little different. Seeing another side to Picard after retirement makes it all the more special seeing him back in action on a starship.

Either way, the first two episodes of this season have been fecking great.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
While I loved the Worf reveal I think it’s way out of character for him to have joined Section 31.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
The first four episodes of Picard season 4 have been fantastic. There's actually been good writing and character arcs that make sense. Incredible!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I haven’t watched the first two seasons of Picard due to hearing bad things but this season has been the best Trek I’ve seen in quite some time.
Season 1 pretty good I thought. 2 was terrible. 3 has been pretty good so far, albeit a bit slow at times.

dinostar77

Just finished epsiode 4 of Picard season 3. Best season of the show so far.

Strange New Worlds is still the best New Trek though.

Herman Toothrot

I cannot believe how good this series of Picard is. It's magical. I never thought Star Trek would be this good again and that fan service could be done with such style.

This is such an unexpected gift.

Whatever happens in the next six episodes, I've had my final hurrah with the Next Generation and I think they may have made the groundwork for something good in the future. Imagine a good new Star Trek series.

Well done everyone involved, I've almost erased the first two series from my mind.