Television Star Trek

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Having had a few weeks to let it all sink in - I'm still very happy with the show, but the writers will have to make some adjustments after season one (as they almost always do).

- We need to know who the protagonist is - Picard's character arc is sort of neither here nor there. We don't fully appreciate what his actual motivations are.
- Likewise, we need clearer antagonists, especially if season 2 is a year long story arc (vice one off episodes).
- Don't make the mistake Discovery did by fecking up the way Klingons look
- Develop Seven of Nine far better than they did in season 1
- Find more creative ways to bring back a few older characters. Bringing back Data and Riker were spot on. Bring Riker back more and maybe one or two other TNG characters (beyond Guinan who is already coming back and strong rumors that Q is coming back)
- Season two should be the year where audiences get very comfortable with all the characters, especially Soji, Narek, Elnor, Rios, and Jurati. If at the end of season two people are still complaining about some of the characters then the producers should consider trying something else for season 3.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am rewatching TNG. Man, TNG is a few levels above every other ST shows. Nearly every episode is classic. Masterpiece. DS9 is also fantastic but TNG is...wow

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I am rewatching TNG. Man, TNG is a few levels above every other ST shows. Nearly every episode is classic. Masterpiece. DS9 is also fantastic but TNG is...wow
The first two seasons were rough though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Having a great actor like Stewart, good overall casting, and top notch writing tends to do that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
They took their bloody time. :drool:
it was an average review - some interesting/funny stuff and lots of boring bits which would maybe be better if id seen the show. but the ending 5-10 minutes is something else, ive never seen anything so sincere from rlm. and it's done very well using a sisko speech i didn't really remember before this.

also, r/startrek mods aren't happy but there is this nice thread on the front page now.

Tiber

New series announced

When I first watched discovery I couldn't get into it. I recently gave it another chance and enjoyed both series. I thought that Pike and Spock were really strong characters

Last edited:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
When I first watched dusvicery I couldn;t get into it. I recently gave it another chance and enjoyed both series. I thought that Pike and Spock were really strong characters
That's because you let yourself being influenced by the melancholic old farts who used to watch Star Trek back in the old days. (You know who you are)

Discovery > Picard, not even close.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ah coincidental timing. I watched the movies Star Trek 1 and 2 and really enjoyed it. Got the third to go but have to say, I'm looking forward to posters inevitably trashing on the films I enjoyed.

Tiber

That's because you let yourself being influenced by the melancholic old farts who used to watch Star Trek back in the old days. (You know who you are)

Orville > both of them.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Is it really worth giving a go? Everything I have read has been pretty harsh on it.

Fingeredmouse

It was the better show mostly because there's a handful of episodes in series 2 that are decent. Picard was a total disaster in the end.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Discovery is terrible in every conceivable category. I suspect they will transition it out once the new show gains a bit of momentum.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Oi...have some respect to us old people :) .

On a serious note. Discovery is just shit. You can be old, young, st fan or not....it is complete shit.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Orville > both of them.
Haven't seen it yet.

Is it really worth giving a go? Everything I have read has been pretty harsh on it.
For sure, it's a quick watch. I mean, it's not The Wire on space, but if you like spaceships and shit like that, it's good fun.

Just for reference, I've never seen the old Star Trek shows. Only have seen the new movies (which I enjoyed a lot, except maybe for the third one).

Some viewers of the older shows apparently took offense on the way the Romulans looked, but for me it was Ok. I enjoyed them talking about eating human flesh and decapitating a fecking baby on screen. I was "Holy Shit", not bad for a netflix tv show. Despite the cartoonish look of the show, it was way darker than I expected, which was very good.

It was the better show mostly because there's a handful of episodes in series 2 that are decent. Picard was a total disaster in the end.
Yeah Picard was a disaster, no doubt. The final episode was more than decent though.

Discovery is terrible in every conceivable category. I suspect they will transition it out once the new show gains a bit of momentum.
Nah, you are exaggerating. You telling me you didn't felt nothing when Katrina Cornwell
sacrificed herself
?

Oi...have some respect to us old people :) .

On a serious note. Discovery is just shit. You can be old, young, st fan or not....it is complete shit.
I was just messing with y'all (specially Raoul). :lol:

Dante

Average bang
Season 3 of Discovery starts on Thursday.

It'll be good to watch a proper Star Trek series again that honours the show's legacy after the travesty that was Picard. Hopefully they return to using the more scientifically accurate Klingon models from season 1, rather than the comic book style we saw in season 2.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Season 3 of Discovery starts on Thursday.

It'll be good to watch a proper Star Trek series again that honours the show's legacy after the travesty that was Picard. Hopefully they return to using the more scientifically accurate Klingon models from season 1, rather than the comic book style we saw in season 2.
Discovery is travesty, not Picard. Picard wasn't something special but still was true star trek. Michael and company are insult to star trek.

Tiber

Discovery is travesty, not Picard. Picard wasn't something special but still was true star trek. Michael and company are insult to star trek.
I disagree, I struggled to get into Discovery at first, but I found I liked it on the second attempt - especially season 2.

Having said that, the best thing about Discovery was Pike. Very much looking forward to his new spinoff series.

Pagh Wraith

Decided not to continue with Discovery. I stopped watching half-way through season two and returned for the finale which was a mistake. I've really had enough of that tripe. Picard isn't great either (the writing in season 1 was dreadful at times) but I'll give it another shot, mainly because of Patrick Stewart.

Really looking forward to new episodes of The Orville and The Expanse though!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agree. Picard was enjoyable and given how most series improve after season 1, I'm hoping season 2 will be better.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I didn't mind Discovery Season 2, it was pretty good. Picard Season 1 was a struggle to get through, similar to Season 1 of Discovery.

Orville is fun, but I found the last season a bit shit if i'm being honest.

Fingeredmouse

They're both shit but Discovery is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, less shit than Picard.

I'll still watch it though and, like after the start of Picard and after the start of Discovery Season 2, I'll get a bit of hope that'll be proven unjustified as it descends into a nonsensical shooty bangy cringe fest.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Orville is fun, but I found the last season a bit shit if i'm being honest.
I thought it improved a lot! My main criticism was that some of the big plots were modifications of what we've seen before in Trek (mostly TNG and DS9).

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I thought it improved a lot! My main criticism was that some of the big plots were modifications of what we've seen before in Trek (mostly TNG and DS9).
Some of the characters got annoying and the plot was dull. Just didn't do it for me. Season to forget. I actually preferred Discovery season 2 if im honest and ive been very critical of it.

Hammerfell

Is anyone watching the new season of Discovery? I really like what they're doing so far, it's refreshingly different.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Is anyone watching the new season of Discovery? I really like what they're doing so far, it's refreshingly different.
Only saw the first episode so far and it just seemed to be a fairly random sequence of action scenes. Can't say I was too impressed.

Dante

Average bang
Yep, I am.

Episode 1 felt more like Star Wars than Star Trek. It was decent in its own right, though. Any real Star Trek fan will tell you that the show's universe is strong enough to handle changes in direction, genre and tone.

Episode 2 was excellent. It's much more like the best that Star Trek has to offer, ie. Discovery season 1.