Television Star Trek

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Would be great if someone could explain that guardian of forever geezer. Some kind of portal gate keeper of space and time dimensions? It was all kinds of confusing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm willing to give Discovery another try - I lost interest about 75% into season one. Where should I resume ?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm willing to give Discovery another try - I lost interest about 75% into season one. Where should I resume ?
Ignore Season 1 tbh. The ending was grim.

Start from Season 2, i'm a bit bored with Season 3 after a good start, it's reverted back to being a bit meh again.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ignore Season 1 tbh. The ending was grim.

Start from Season 2, i'm a bit bored with Season 3 after a good start, it's reverted back to being a bit meh again.
You must watch full season because despite it is shit, it has some kind of plot. So in second season you will be "whaaaaat?". Who is this guy? What is that? How is he alive? He was dead??! Whaaaaat? Etc....

vidic blood & sand

Recently bought the next generation on blu-ray.
Wow they did an epic job restoring it. Looks fantastic, especially the SFX scenes with the enterprise. Well worth upgrading if you have the DVDs.

Fingeredmouse

You must watch full season because despite it is shit, it has some kind of plot. So in second season you will be "whaaaaat?". Who is this guy? What is that? How is he alive? He was dead??! Whaaaaat? Etc....
I'm not sure...Season 2 made absolutely no sense anyway. Unresolved mysterious plot line to nowhere and an ending that was just mental.

Eriku

It is not the "wokeness" Star Trek as many have pointed out has always done political and social commentary. It is the mallet to the face levels of subtlety , and the jarringly self congratulatory preachiness that turns people off. Better writing and you can tell any story.

Picard was far worse than Discovery.
Seconded. Add to that the fact that ST used to be a dialectic and that the problems faced in the episodes tended to be issues that have plagued humanity in different ways throughout all of history, and as such had relevance outside of what’s going on in the episode.

Also, Discovery relies faaar more on action sequences and spectacular near-misses. It just comes across as any run-of-the-mill sci-fi action show to me.

I reaaaally wanted to love it.

Bole Top

just finished the third season of Discovery I'm glad to say it's still good. the ending was rushed a bit though and I can't help but feel the season is at least one episode shorther than it should be, something I couldn't say for first and second season. in a way, the plot in season 3 was almost too big for it's own sake, there was just too much at stake and too much of everything to just end it like that. I'm not going to complain much because I like Discovery and at this point I simply have to accept some things will never come back. those massive seasons consisting of 27 episodes are history, at least when it comes to Star Trek. for example, I would like to see how the other species managed after the Burn, but the show couldn't be less interested in that. it's not like there is some kind of rule that prevents the show going beyond 12 episodes. imagine DS9 or TNG being reduced to 12x45 minutes and all those details that made them so great left out, including those "plotless" episodes. it's just the way it is unfortunately.

but like I've said, I'm not going to complain much because at this point I'm glad there is a Star Trek series still going. Discovery isn't for everyone, but it's certainly good entertainment. maybe the fourth season will give answers to some of my questions, as they're staying in the same timeline. It's a bit surprising though, as it means the characters from first two seasons are gone forever. Ash was basically erased from the show, Spock as well, and I was wondering what happened to "original" Lorca. they weren't essential, but still...

let's hope they hurry up with Picard S2 and Strange New Worlds.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
just finished the third season of Discovery I'm glad to say it's still good. the ending was rushed a bit though and I can't help but feel the season is at least one episode shorther than it should be, something I couldn't say for first and second season. in a way, the plot in season 3 was almost too big for it's own sake, there was just too much at stake and too much of everything to just end it like that. I'm not going to complain much because I like Discovery and at this point I simply have to accept some things will never come back. those massive seasons consisting of 27 episodes are history, at least when it comes to Star Trek. for example, I would like to see how the other species managed after the Burn, but the show couldn't be less interested in that. it's not like there is some kind of rule that prevents the show going beyond 12 episodes. imagine DS9 or TNG being reduced to 12x45 minutes and all those details that made them so great left out, including those "plotless" episodes. it's just the way it is unfortunately.

but like I've said, I'm not going to complain much because at this point I'm glad there is a Star Trek series still going. Discovery isn't for everyone, but it's certainly good entertainment. maybe the fourth season will give answers to some of my questions, as they're staying in the same timeline. It's a bit surprising though, as it means the characters from first two seasons are gone forever. Ash was basically erased from the show, Spock as well, and I was wondering what happened to "original" Lorca. they weren't essential, but still...

let's hope they hurry up with Picard S2 and Strange New Worlds.
I stopped reading after "still good". ;)

Sorry. Just joking

Tarrou

been rewatching Enterprise as it's on Netflix

just noticed the actor who plays Data is in S03 and playing a villain character - he's really good

overall though I've enjoyed the series but it's dated horribly, it somehow feels older than The Next Generation - its like StarGate SG1 at times

red4ever 79

been rewatching Enterprise as it's on Netflix

just noticed the actor who plays Data is in S03 and playing a villain character - he's really good

overall though I've enjoyed the series but it's dated horribly, it somehow feels older than The Next Generation - its like StarGate SG1 at times
Yup noticed that last week. Awesome, going through season 1. Pickard was quite serious in the first few episodes. I seem to remember his character being quite humorous in the movies. Did that change, or has it just been so long that I forgot.

red4ever 79

Why does Q look older if he is thousands of years old and immortal?
On a side note I have been watching TNG from the beginning on netflix since April. I am on season 6 now. Big drop in quality as it nears the end. 4 and 5 were the absolute peak

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

2024 in SF, not 2021 in LA. A totally wrong prediction!

lilcurt

Why does Q look older if he is thousands of years old and immortal?
On a side note I have been watching TNG from the beginning on netflix since April. I am on season 6 now. Big drop in quality as it nears the end. 4 and 5 were the absolute peak
I'm hoping they use some excuse or joke like Q is just appearing older to have a jibe at Picard. That at least seems like a reasonable plot device to explain the age.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
The cast of Strange New Worlds:

New prequel to TOS. Coming out in 2022.
I'm already more familiar with the crew after this trailer than I am with Discovery's after three seasons. Guess that's a good sign.

choccy77

They said season 2 is influenced by Star Trek The Voyage Home.

Seeing the Borg Queen from First Contact is an interesting reveal

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
They said season 2 is influenced by Star Trek The Voyage Home.

Seeing the Borg Queen from First Contact is an interesting reveal
That (along with The Motion Picture) is my favourite trek movie. Picard Season 1 was derived partly from Measure of a man, probably my favourite TNG ep.
It's amazing that they're honing on to every single thing I loved in Trek and presumably taking a dump on it.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I really liked Deep Space 9.

Can we have some more of that instead of this?

I know it was viewed as terrible by the powers that be but "In the Pale Moonlight" is ny favourite Trek episode ever.

Sweet Square

That (along with The Motion Picture) is my favourite trek movie. Picard Season 1 was derived partly from Measure of a man, probably my favourite TNG ep.
It's amazing that they're honing on to every single thing I loved in Trek and presumably taking a dump on it.
:lol:

I had to post it

stevoc

Never been a big Star Trek fan but was time travel a huge part of the multiple original series?

The JJ movie, Discovery and now this all doing time travel. Have never watched this it looks awful.They should have just rebooted it with new actors, ships, characters.

stevoc

I really liked Deep Space 9.

Can we have some more of that instead of this?

I know it was viewed as terrible by the powers that be but "In the Pale Moonlight" is ny favourite Trek episode ever.
Really?

I loved that show as a kid the only Star Trek show I got into. Watched it again a few years ago and it holds up well bar the first season or two.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Never been a big Star Trek fan but was time travel a huge part of the multiple original series?

The JJ movie, Discovery and now this all doing time travel. Have never watched this it looks awful.They should have just rebooted it with new actors, ships, characters.
They have been doing it since the very beginning

https://nerdist.com/article/10-best-star-trek-time-travel-episodes-ranked/

City on the Edge of Forever is a great episode.

I did a quick wiki check and they list 54 time travel episodes or films in Trek. Probably an incomplete list too.