Gaming Star Wars Battlefront II

The Bloody-Nine

Developers are introducing unnecessary grinds simply to encourage people to buy microtransactions. The motivation isn't to make the best and most enjoyable game possible. It's to get you to pay more money after you've already paid full price. As a gamer, how can one view that as anything but a negative? They are introducing algorithms to multiplayer games in order to "drive microtransactions" in their own words. The goal isn't to provide you with a fun, polished experience. It's to piss you off to the point where you want to buy in game weapons. It's a joke.

Stactix

Ok, so I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, particularly as I haven't played either of the new battlefront games and I haven't fully read into exactly what is going on here, just that some people seem to be trying to fight microtransactions on the whole.

But what is exactly is so bad about them? I don't pay for microtransactions, because I am generally just pretty stingy with money anyway, but if someone wants to pay a little bit extra to skip the grind and unlock stuff, what does it matter to me?

Video games used to have loads of cheat codes, and you could use them if you wanted, or you could refuse to if you thought it spoilt the game. Now that we have online games, obviously you can't have cheat codes any more because everyone would use them. So microtransactions have taken their place.

I get that you could argue 'well if everyone else pays to unlock darth vader, then it makes it more difficult for me, but what difference is there compared to somebody who just bought the game earlier, or has more time to grind video games and so has beaten you to unlocking it? Is it better to reward someone who can spend hours on video games ahead of someone who spends their time doing a job and earning a bit extra disposable income which they use to pay for microtransactions?

And I'm not sure you can pass it off as a purely economic issue, because what about the kids who have to wait 6-12 months for the game price to drop before their parents are willing to buy the game? How do they catch up with their richer friends who have had the game since release? They don't have to pay for microtransactions if they don't want to or can't afford it, but waiting 6-12 months probably would see the price drop far enough that a few microtransactions wouldn't increase the total cost beyond the initial release price.

I understand the argument that the game minus microtransactions shouldn't be created in such a way as to make them seem like a requirement in order to properly enjoy the game (see most mobile games). I understand the distaste towards unfairly randomising the rewards you gain from them. But microtransactions as a concept aren't really all that bad.
I'm fine with cosmetic micro transc or SINGLEPLAYER transcations that don't lock stuff behind a paywall, i.e characters/weapons or actual content/modes.

The problem with Battlefront is.
The grind is/was too long - 4500 hours or 2100$ to unlock it all. £50 game. Moneygrabbing cnuts.

The other problem is you can get an advantage in game by Spending money. Which is fecking bullshit.
Cosmetic fine, P2W not.

The other problem is, both unlocking characters & progressing in the game use the same currency. Which basically means you get shafted one way or another.
Spend all your income on a character, another player might spend it on lootboxes & thus be better geared than you.

FPS games are incredibly hard to balance as it is, add in a P2W element & it completely breaks any form of balance.

Bare in mind, this is just the start. It's only going to get worse if nothing is done.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Also, the biggest problem is when they with hold features to gamble for. Additional content is one thing, but when it's content that they've cut for it, well that's a different thing entirely. Which people playing devil's advocate overlook frequently.

They also overlook EA's history, like Sim city where they cut a third of the game, sold the 2/3s of it at full price, then told people the rest of it was dlc. All after the release date.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Why do you keep constantly defending them?

Also the micro transactions were only taken down due to the fact Disney CEO called them. I guess Disney didn’t like the negativity.
I'm not defending them. Microtransactions are shitty, but at the same time, the gaming community adopted them. Like someone else mentioned, it started when you could sell in game coins (only way to get them was grinding) over eBay and stuff years ago.

We also have the generation who can't be arsed to work for their rewards. You used to have to beat games to unlock stuff. Also, unlocking a character that takes 40 hours isn't even that big of a deal, I bet most FPS fans slam more than that into their favourite shooter a week.

My main gripe with all of this, is it appears to be a bigger scandal to a lot of people than something like what is coming out of Hollywood. Way too much overreaction over a game.

Also, everyone jumping on the bandwagon, even those with no interest in it or gaming, people complaining for the sake of complaining. Everyone with their shite EA memes and "jokes" which are already past it.

Look at anyone on Reddit moaning about EA, upvote to the gods. It's a big circle jerk at the minute.

Yeah it would be better without microtransactions, but at the same time, companies are there to make money.

It's like life, rage quit if you totally suck at it, progress at a slow pace if you're shite at it, progress quick if you're good at it. And if you're rich, you've already won. It's teaching kids an early lesson.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Also, the biggest problem is when they with hold features to gamble for. Additional content is one thing, but when it's content that they've cut for it, well that's a different thing entirely. Which people playing devil's advocate overlook frequently.

They also overlook EA's history, like Sim city where they cut a third of the game, sold the 2/3s of it at full price, then told people the rest of it was dlc. All after the release date.
I agree with the first day DLC packs, surely that should be part of the full game.

However, unlocking characters through gameplay and progression has always been a thing. Even years ago you didn't get every character in fighting games, or even arcade racers, you had to beat the game or use cheat codes. Turns out cheat codes now are money.

It's a bigger issue due to online gaming obviously.

Can someone explain how overpowered Darth Vader is in this?

It's a stupid system for an online game if someone is way OP anyway, playing fields should be roughly level apart from skillset of player.

Get me back to unreal tournament instagib :drool:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
On OpenCritic you can customise your trusted reviewers so you get a personal score from critics/publications that your tastes align with. Their system also aggregates the scores of often more critics than Metacritic (including smaller up-and-coming critics). Also got a recommend/not recommended system if you like.

Besides that I like Steam's system too (you can control things like date/ whether the review was intended to amuse etc.) but that only covers PC games.
Opencritic sounds like an idea I had a year or two ago and never followed through with :( think I even messaged someone on here about it. Bugger.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
My post count in here is ridiculous since I actually don't even play the game and am not that outraged by it. Maybe I'd be outraged if I bought it.

Redlambs

I agree with the first day DLC packs, surely that should be part of the full game.

However, unlocking characters through gameplay and progression has always been a thing. Even years ago you didn't get every character in fighting games, or even arcade racers, you had to beat the game or use cheat codes. Turns out cheat codes now are money.

It's a bigger issue due to online gaming obviously.

Can someone explain how overpowered Darth Vader is in this?

It's a stupid system for an online game if someone is way OP anyway, playing fields should be roughly level apart from skillset of player.

Get me back to unreal tournament instagib :drool:
Yeah, but extra characters not the main ones. Sure they are there to make money, but some people see it as a rip off and I think it's fair they are able to voice that. Look at the whole paid for mods thing on steam, the backlash worked. The fight back won't stop all this, but if it stops every single game being affected or at least shows the publishers that there's certain aspect that shouldn't be touched then I'm all for it. Selling extra cosmetic stuff is the perfect balance between corporate and gamers imo, I don't know why they just don't stick to that and it would solve all angles. They'd still make a fortune, and the game wouldn't suffer.

And your last line is perfect :lol:

tom33

I'm fine with cosmetic micro transc or SINGLEPLAYER transcations that don't lock stuff behind a paywall, i.e characters/weapons or actual content/modes.

The problem with Battlefront is.
The grind is/was too long - 4500 hours or 2100$ to unlock it all. £50 game. Moneygrabbing cnuts.

The other problem is you can get an advantage in game by Spending money. Which is fecking bullshit.
Cosmetic fine, P2W not.

The other problem is, both unlocking characters & progressing in the game use the same currency. Which basically means you get shafted one way or another.
Spend all your income on a character, another player might spend it on lootboxes & thus be better geared than you.

FPS games are incredibly hard to balance as it is, add in a P2W element & it completely breaks any form of balance.

Bare in mind, this is just the start. It's only going to get worse if nothing is done.
In my head, pay-to-win is more along the lines of offering an advantage that can't be gained otherwise. I personally don't think paying to progress quicker and/or skip grinding to unlock things is as bad. I completely agree that it's a very difficult thing to balance cost vs grind though, and EA don't even seem to have bothered trying.

For the record, I think I largely agree with the arguments, but it seems to have become a little exaggerated, particularly as it all seems to be so directly focused on EA, with barely any mention of how endemic it is in the video games industry as a whole.

SteveTheRed

In my head, pay-to-win is more along the lines of offering an advantage that can't be gained otherwise. I personally don't think paying to progress quicker and/or skip grinding to unlock things is as bad. I completely agree that it's a very difficult thing to balance cost vs grind though, and EA don't even seem to have bothered trying.

For the record, I think I largely agree with the arguments, but it seems to have become a little exaggerated, particularly as it all seems to be so directly focused on EA, with barely any mention of how endemic it is in the video games industry as a whole.
It's probably more a case that if you take down the big cheese, the rest will follow.

I've no problem with in-game unlocks made from progression. We've all played games and seen someone with the best gun+armour whatever and if it's earned through actually playing the game you think "he's going to be good" but now people can just buy the best gear if they are rich enough, I'm just like "He's been spending daddys money"

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I think it will be a major scale back by ea with regards to mts, maybe even removed completely, the backlash has hurt them, plus Im sure Disney having a gentle word will encourage ea to please the gamers.

Hammerfell

I think it will be a major scale back by ea with regards to mts, maybe even removed completely, the backlash has hurt them, plus Im sure Disney having a gentle word will encourage ea to please the gamers.
Nah, they'll add them back in once things have died down and sales have gone up. Transparent as feck.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
As good as Luke / DMaul. Behind Yoda because of character model size (its golden-eye 64 all over again).
So wouldn't Yoda be shit hot if hit boxes were correct?

I don't know who is who in the star trek universe so are they way better than the other guys

Smile fanboys

Stactix

Oh yeah offering items that affect stats as a pay only item, is the real definition of P2W. The problem I have, is not with micro transc in general, I've played 100s of F2P games including some of the worst P2W games & some of the most grindy in which you struggle to control that urge to spend to progress. (Wot on 3 different platforms comes to mind)
These games for the most part are fine as they're F2P, so those that do choose to spend basically allow those that don't the ability to play for free.
In a £50 game, this shouldn't be the case. It's a cash grab plain & simple, IMO it's a dreadful system without the Micros, let alone with them.
Feck randomised progression in a PVP game.

Redlambs

:lol: That's brilliant!

I agree with you btw, people aren't stupid to not be bothered or buy these things. It's their choice.

But like brexit and trump and all that (obviously on a much larger and more important scale here though), it'd be nice if people looked at the bigger picture every now and then and see where it all leads. They may not be so happy with what happens in SWBF3.

AXVnee7

The problem isn't people spending their money on microtransactions, it's that they're given the option to do so.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
EA bought the Titanfall company right?
Yeah it's a Good FPS, but the playerbase is limited. You get people like yourself, slick and myself who love it, bit the marketing was wank after the first tbh. It's not a game changing game imo, if EA feck it up, it's not a massive loss imo. I knew what you were getting at straight away.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Yeah it's a Good FPS, but the playerbase is limited. You get people like yourself, slick and myself who love it, bit the marketing was wank after the first tbh. It's not a game changing game imo, if EA feck it up, it's not a massive loss imo. I knew what you were getting at straight away.
Titan fall is class, I love it on ps4.

The Bloody-Nine

It wasn't the marketing, it was EA deciding to release it between f*cking Battlefield 1 and CoD. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Pity, because it's a great game.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
It wasn't the marketing, it was EA deciding to release it between f*cking Battlefield 1 and CoD. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Pity, because it's a great game.
There's a theory out there that EA did that so they could buy Respawn at a cheaper price :lol:

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Ok, so I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, particularly as I haven't played either of the new battlefront games and I haven't fully read into exactly what is going on here, just that some people seem to be trying to fight microtransactions on the whole.

But what is exactly is so bad about them? I don't pay for microtransactions, because I am generally just pretty stingy with money anyway, but if someone wants to pay a little bit extra to skip the grind and unlock stuff, what does it matter to me?

Video games used to have loads of cheat codes, and you could use them if you wanted, or you could refuse to if you thought it spoilt the game. Now that we have online games, obviously you can't have cheat codes any more because everyone would use them. So microtransactions have taken their place.

I get that you could argue 'well if everyone else pays to unlock darth vader, then it makes it more difficult for me, but what difference is there compared to somebody who just bought the game earlier, or has more time to grind video games and so has beaten you to unlocking it? Is it better to reward someone who can spend hours on video games ahead of someone who spends their time doing a job and earning a bit extra disposable income which they use to pay for microtransactions?

And I'm not sure you can pass it off as a purely economic issue, because what about the kids who have to wait 6-12 months for the game price to drop before their parents are willing to buy the game? How do they catch up with their richer friends who have had the game since release? They don't have to pay for microtransactions if they don't want to or can't afford it, but waiting 6-12 months probably would see the price drop far enough that a few microtransactions wouldn't increase the total cost beyond the initial release price.

I understand the argument that the game minus microtransactions shouldn't be created in such a way as to make them seem like a requirement in order to properly enjoy the game (see most mobile games). I understand the distaste towards unfairly randomising the rewards you gain from them. But microtransactions as a concept aren't really all that bad.
I think one of the main issues is that the kids that have maxed themselves out will be top of the scoring in every round. The way you level up is by winning rounds or doing well in each round. Makes it difficult to try to match them without paying the same.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Didn't realise EA somehow made the new Need for Speed game a loot box grindathon as well the fecking cnuts :lol::lol:

Don't think this particular trend is going to last long - they've gone too far.