Film Star Wars: Episode IX (The Rise of Skywalker) | Teaser Trailer Released

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The prequels were by any unbiased standards much, much worse films on pretty much every level.

Criticising the new films I can understand but the prequels were utter trash, to the point where thinking they're good would pretty much invalidate someone's opinion on all films in my eyes. It isn't a coincidence that there's a massive gulf in the critical appreciation for both sets of films. I don't particularly think the new films are all that good either, they've just managed a base level of competence that eluded the prequels.

I can sort of see how someone who was a kid when they came out might have been conned into having some sort of affection for them but really....

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So Rey will be a Skywalker? Not a huge fan though I've seen them all. Rogue one was my fav.

Hoof the ball

The prequels were better in one major aspect, which in my opinion is a huge one.

George Lucas knows how to create worlds. Period. You can argue all you like about poor execution of a script and such, but in terms of world building, he's miles ahead of JJ and Rian in the sequels. Even in the much criticised AotC's, the scene where Obi Wan and Anakin drop down into the lowest streets of Coruscant, that place feels alive.
Even when it comes to the creation of new alien species, Lucas is so far ahead it's unreal. He didn't rest on his laurels and copy and paste sentient beings from the OT. He pushed the envelope and created new worlds and new species. Miles ahead of the sequels in that respect.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Who can forget Dexter Jettster, the four armed moustachio'd alien who for some reason works in a 50s themed diner on the most generic sci fi city in existence.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Said it from the start...No Vader, no party!

Obviously entirely subjective but, it's how I felt and how I still feel. Big Harry Ford and Chewy were good though

GBBQ

The prequels were by any unbiased standards much, much worse films on pretty much every level.

Criticising the new films I can understand but the prequels were utter trash, to the point where thinking they're good would pretty much invalidate someone's opinion on all films in my eyes. It isn't a coincidence that there's a massive gulf in the critical appreciation for both sets of films. I don't particularly think the new films are all that good either, they've just managed a base level of competence that eluded the prequels.

I can sort of see how someone who was a kid when they came out might have been conned into having some sort of affection for them but really....
The new trilogy is far from perfect but the approach is much better. Lucas ramming in political trade blockade bullshit stories and trying too hard to throw in as many call backs as possible (so Vader made C3P0 and Yoda and Chewie were great friends?). With the new trilogy they try to capture that essence of fantasy and epic scale.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The rise of skywalker? Shit name. Could put that name on pretty much any of the other episodes.

Maybe it's just a film about Luke waking up one morning with the massive horn, like full on standing up light saber under the duvet, and all the comedy antics that occur while he tries to get it down to have a properly directed wee.

Fener1907

I tried watching 'The Phantom Menace' the other day. Everything looks so cheap, shoddily thrown together, and some of the acting is atrocious (the kid who played Annakin shouldn't have even met the standards for an advert, never mind a movie so heavily anticipated). On the plus side, they can say it didn't age terribly, as it was always terrible to begin with.

Drifter

American
Get the feeling that they just want to get this over with. It as been forgettable.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The prequels were better in one major aspect, which in my opinion is a huge one.

George Lucas knows how to create worlds. Period. You can argue all you like about poor execution of a script and such, but in terms of world building, he's miles ahead of JJ and Rian in the sequels. Even in the much criticised AotC's, the scene where Obi Wan and Anakin drop down into the lowest streets of Coruscant, that place feels alive.
Even when it comes to the creation of new alien species, Lucas is so far ahead it's unreal. He didn't rest on his laurels and copy and paste sentient beings from the OT. He pushed the envelope and created new worlds and new species. Miles ahead of the sequels in that respect.
Most of the new characters in the prequels were crap though. And the planet where the Jedi Council and Temple etc all were was pretty much a literal copy of Blade Runner. Hardly inventive and unique.

El-Manos

The revenge of the sigh was excellent. People should stop referring to the prequels as shit. Revenge of the sith was not shit.

Art Vandelay

The revenge of the sigh was excellent. People should stop referring to the prequels as shit. Revenge of the sith was not shit.
It was better than the first two, but it's quality went up and down throughout the film. It could go from shite to brilliant. It's still better than the sequels, but nowhere the quality of the originals or even Rogue One

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It was shit. Just marginally less shit than the other prequels.
In some ways it was worse, there were some really, REALLY bad scenes in it. Got really fecking stupid too and the acting was terrible. I'd be interested to know what age range actually likes it, makes sense those that were young kids would like it, I was a teenager when they came out and couldn't stand them. Felt like Lucas took a steaming shit in my shoe as I watched it in the cinema.

Member 39557

In some ways it was worse, there were some really, REALLY bad scenes in it. Got really fecking stupid too and the acting was terrible. I'd be interested to know what age range actually likes it, makes sense those that were young kids would like it, I was a teenager when they came out and couldn't stand them. Felt like Lucas took a steaming shit in my shoe as I watched it in the cinema.

All of the prequels were plagued by bad acting, shit dialogue and really, really bad scenes.

I take your point though.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
All of the prequels were plagued by bad acting, shit dialogue and really, really bad scenes.

I take your point though.
Problem I had was they hammed it up in Revenge of the Sith to the point where the 'serious' moments became joke worthy. One of those films i've attempted to erase from my memory alongside the 4th Indiana Jones film.

R77

it certainly made me sigh.
Good typo!

How can anyone watch any of the prequels and think they were anything apart from utter tripe. fecking hell.
I'd actually almost come around to the idea that they seem less terrible now, but then remembered that the only time I've watched any of them in the last decade or so, they've been fan edits. Most of Phantom Menace, and big chunks of the other two not being there really does make them slightly more bearable.

Seeing the new trailer went a little toward dulling my apathy after the last film. Be interesting to see if they try and fix some of the annoyances and flaws with TLJ, and if they're anywhere near successful in doing so. Not holding my breath, mind.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't care what this movie is about, I will be outraged. They ruined Star Wars.

Or Star Wars was never that amazing to begin with, but I didn't notice because I was 7 years old.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I don't care what this movie is about, I will be outraged. They ruined Star Wars.

Or Star Wars was never that amazing to begin with, but I didn't notice because I was 7 years old.
Old trilogy is still amazing, especially that version without one CGI thing on the screen, visually holds up really good to this day.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Predictions

-Rey's a Skywalker.

-The Sith Ghost of Palpatine-Sidious was behind the 1st Order rise all along.
Yeah... I wish. Knowing them they'll subvert everything into Rey being a farm droid and ghost of Palpatine is just an old propaganda recording played in a loop.

We'll probably see a ghost of Luke at the end of the movie telling everyone to shag Sarlacc's face.

That being said, there's still a chance JJ will play it safe and make a reasonably logical outcome.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
RotS was the fist time I cringed through almost a full movie in a theater. I was too young to have that reaction when I saw Clones, but the dialogue, acting, and especially the ending (high ground? Vader's nooooo?) of Ep 3 was my personal worst movie memory.