Film Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker [Theories]

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
All 6 of the proper Star Wars films came out in May though? In fact it was only Disney that started bringing them out in December.
The 3 movies before had come in December. The short turnaround from TLJ to Solo meant that they could not advertise Solo until Feburary. As I say though, the main reason for it's failure was a simple lack of interest in the idea of a Han Solo prequel. In hindsight, it would have suited their streaming service better.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The 3 movies before had come in December. The short turnaround from TLJ to Solo meant that they could not advertise Solo until Feburary. As I say though, the main reason for it's failure was a simple lack of interest in the idea of a Han Solo prequel. In hindsight, it would have suited their streaming service better.
I think it can be blamed on two things. Firstly the fact that people simply didn't know/care about it, (I don't remember seeing even an advert for it, let alone the usual fanfare, hype and fecking Pez dispensers we're normally faced with) and secondly the fact people were just pissed off and/or burnt out after TLJ.

As far as I remember it still took a respectable amount at the box office. Not the numbers Star Wars is used to, but still in the hundreds of millions. They just happened to spend like half a billion making the bloody thing, which I guess gives the critics license to say it bombed and made a loss.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The ones to blame for TLJ are none other than KK and Ruin Johnson the Freak.
I'm sorry, I won't just sit in my inflatable chair and accept this nonsense. I filmmaker she might not be, but Kim Kardashian is a global treasure.

Reiver

TLJ was the reason I didn't go to see Solo and the reason I thought I wouldn't bother going to the cinema to see a new Star Wars film again. Then I heard Palpatine's laugh at the end of the trailer and, despite myself, I know I'll go to see Rise of Skywalker.
Rian Johnson did everything he could to defy the expectations of fans, particularly those familiar with the Expanded Universe. Whether you liked the film or not, there was an almighty backlash. What happens next? The next film is going to have the return of Palpatine, one of the most popular storylines to happen in the Expanded Universe (short of Thrawn maybe). JJ says it's been planned for years but I'm not buying it.
If JJ Abrams can finish the trilogy on a high, and lessen the foul stench of TLJ, I'll never say a bad word about him again and even try watching Lost again.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
All 6 of the proper Star Wars films came out in May though? In fact it was only Disney that started bringing them out in December.
Well yeah but they weren't coming out, like, 5 months after the previous Star Wars film.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Wow having not followed Star Wars arguments on line ever - I thought his kind of hate was only reserved for Lukaku!

I've enjoyed all the films, personally for me the prequels are the weakest, but my daughter who is 9 loves all of them from ep1 onwards Solo included. I think possibly Rogue Trooper is my favourite.

They've all been massive box office successes, so I doubt they'll change much to answer cross fans online - can't wait to see the next film.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
How you feel about the franchise does not negate other people's feelings. Therein lies your problem, I'm giving my opinion at no point did I state I was doing anything other than that. I didn't say I had a headcanon, I stated I wasn't happy with what I got and stated why I think it's failing. Given the backlash it's fairly obvious there's a lot of people unhappy with what they got. I've said in other threads I didn't think parts of TLJ were that bad and wasn't that bothered by Luke's actual story, that doesn't mean I don't see the problems of where they've taken the franchise.

I do rarely see people excited by Star Wars. Why would I state anything other than what I see? I mean what are you asking for here? Why wouldn't people cheer McDiarmuid? I'd cheer him. I'd cheer Mark Hammill, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams why wouldn't I? I'd politely clap for Daisy Ridley or John Boyega, I hold no ill will for them despite feeling nothing but apathy for their characters. I don't see what you're getting at, of course people still love McDiarmuid, but I see very little excitement for the new film. The thing I see most is people wondering how bad this one is going to be.

It's so successful they cancelled a bunch of films. It might get taken in directions I don't like at times and I have the right to express my opinions on that. Which I'm doing. There's nothing outlandish or insane about that. I don't need to take a step back or not be upset because I'm not particularly upset, I'm talking about a subject I'm passionate about and I have opinions on that. If you don't like those opinions then that's your right, but you don't get to reduce my opinions by claiming I'm upset and need to back off. I'm perfectly fine talking about a film on the internet. I mean you had to be banned from the Game of Thrones thread because you couldn't control yourself and you're telling someone they need to back off because they have opinions on something? Seriously?

At no point have I stated I have the power the change what they've done with the franchise, that doesn't mean I should just accept it without comment and shuffle off to consume some other product.
Yeah, I'm never gonna convince you over this so I'll leave it. What I will say is that you're completely right about me and Game of Thrones. I had a moment with myself after all the nonsense happened in the main thread a couple of years ago, when it hit me that I'd let my "passion" for it grow out of control. It'd been there for me during quite a rough time in my life around 2015 and I'd applied too great a significance to it ever since. I was fortunate enough to really enjoy the final season because I know I would have been crushed if I hadn't. That really wasn't a healthy place to be in.

I hope for your sake that you really enjoy The Rise of Skywalker, if only because you might see The Last Jedi in a different light once you're aware of all the conclusions. And I hope Disney leave the movies alone now - Star Wars has great potential on streaming services, and the Obi-Wan & The Mandalorian series' look promising - but the planned D&D films suggest otherwise. I love Game of Thrones, I like how they brought it together at the end, and I love Star Wars as well, but even I'm getting a bit worn out by this. That's nothing to do with how I feel about The Last Jedi as you know, I'm just a bit exhausted by Disney.

Which is why I'm glad it's not having the start they planned. I just don't think you can pin it all on the reaction to The Last Jedi.

arthurka

Yeah, I'm never gonna convince you over this so I'll leave it. What I will say is that you're completely right about me and Game of Thrones. I had a moment with myself after all the nonsense happened in the main thread a couple of years ago, when it hit me that I'd let my "passion" for it grow out of control. It'd been there for me during quite a rough time in my life around 2015 and I'd applied too great a significance to it ever since. I was fortunate enough to really enjoy the final season because I know I would have been crushed if I hadn't. That really wasn't a healthy place to be in.

I hope for your sake that you really enjoy The Rise of Skywalker, if only because you might see The Last Jedi in a different light once you're aware of all the conclusions. And I hope Disney leave the movies alone now - Star Wars has great potential on streaming services, and the Obi-Wan & The Mandalorian series' look promising - but the planned D&D films suggest otherwise. I love Game of Thrones, I like how they brought it together at the end, and I love Star Wars as well, but even I'm getting a bit worn out by this. That's nothing to do with how I feel about The Last Jedi as you know, I'm just a bit exhausted by Disney.

Which is why I'm glad it's not having the start they planned. I just don't think you can pin it all on the reaction to The Last Jedi.
Not all of it, no. But it´s a bit of to much to fast and TLJ. Having 3 films where different directors could take the plot in any direction they wanted without having to follow a pre-written plot line wasn´t as good of an idea as KK thought.
This film will be the make or break for this franchise if it bombs it will be back to some Disney streaming and some side projects every 3 year.

Art Vandelay

This is where our understandings differ. I didn't actually hate TLJ, parts of it I liked, parts of it I did hate, but all in all it just ended my interest in seeing Episode 9. It didn't crush me or anything like that. I'm just not happy with the direction it's gone or it's going in and I can see the reactions a lot of other people are having to it. I see the problems and how they are mostly self created.

I won't be going to see The Rise of Skywalker because there's nothing for me to see in it, it's going to be a film about Rey and I do not agree with bringing Palpatine back. I can still feel passionate about Star Wars though and what I see as the mismanagement of it.

I hope you enjoy it if you see it, I have no issue with people still finding something in it. That doesn't change the problems I see with it though.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Palpatine looks very cartoonish there. Not that he didn't look cartoonish as a computer game character fighting computer game Yoda.

Apparently:

The new footage coming shows Rey in black with double bladed red sabre :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Apparently:

The new footage coming shows Rey in black with double bladed red sabre :lol:
Of course. And everyone will love her at the end and she'll get a massive parade where the entire galaxy chant her name then she'll make everyone pancakes and the Queen of Pancakes will be all like "holy shit these are the best pancakes ever made" and Rey will be all like o<>o "thank you it's the first time I've tried making them" and the King of Pancakes will clap and then everyone will start singing "Rey is super kewl" and she'll wish back all the old characters from the dead and they'll all be like "she's so awesome" and then they'll have another parade and I'll probably get so angry in the cinema that I'll shit myself.

Art Vandelay

Of course. And everyone will love her at the end and she'll get a massive parade where the entire galaxy chant her name then she'll make everyone pancakes and the Queen of Pancakes will be all like "holy shit these are the best pancakes ever made" and Rey will be all like o<>o "thank you it's the first time I've tried making them" and the King of Pancakes will clap and then everyone will start singing "Rey is super kewl" and she'll wish back all the old characters from the dead and they'll all be like "she's so awesome" and then they'll have another parade and I'll probably get so angry in the cinema that I'll shit myself.
Spoilers!

No ones ever really gone... They are going to end up rendering death meaningless now too. One more thing for Rey to knock down.

Ubik

Spoilers!

No ones ever really gone... They are going to end up rendering death meaningless now too. One more thing for Rey to knock down.
Didn't that happen in Empire already?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Spoilers!

Look, if it turns out that Rey is the daughter of a Jedi or even Palpatine then, awesome and I'll take back what I said. But currently she is just someone's wish fulfillment of a hero character who has shown no reason to possess any of the skills she has other than because she's "gifted", which would be a massive crock of shit.

Even Vader, the only person in the galaxy to have a midifiddily count above 20,000 still got his ass handed to him because his master had a great beard the higher ground.

But I don't want to turn this thread into another one of those, you know what threads, so I'll simply say that JJ Abrams is a bitch.

Art Vandelay

You mean with Obi Wan? A bit, but it's less of a problem if only some Jedi can come back and in the books it was only for a limited time. Even the fact he's not turned up but Yoda is still around, because he's super powerful isn't too much of a stretch. But if no one is ever really gone becomes a thing then character deaths become meaningless.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
A New Hope actually. Minutes after Obi Wan dies you can hear him saying "Oi, Luke ya daft bastard. Get Tae feck aff this fecking ship ya stupid prick"

Word for word what he says, I'm watching it right now.

Art Vandelay

Look, if it turns out that Rey is the daughter of a Jedi or even Palpatine then, awesome and I'll take back what I said. But currently she is just someone's wish fulfillment of a hero character who has shown no reason to possess any of the skills she has other than because she's "gifted", which would be a massive crock of shit.

Even Vader, the only person in the galaxy to have a midifiddily count above 20,000 still got his ass handed to him because his master had a great beard the higher ground.

But I don't want to turn this thread into another one of those, you know what threads, so I'll simply say that JJ Abrams is a bitch.
Even being related to them doesn't fix the problems. Luke is the most powerful Force user ever and the son of Vader and he spent most of the first film being repeatedly rescued. Then got bitch slapped by a wompa and Vader in the second film. Before becoming a Jedi in the third film. Then Rey beat him in a fight after he'd had decades to hone his powers and she's still untrained. I don't think there's any way to explain or fix her at this point, through her they've made Luke look retroactively shit.

I'm stopping now too other than to agree JJ Abrams is a bitch, because he's a bitch.

Ubik

You mean with Obi Wan? A bit, but it's less of a problem if only some Jedi can come back and in the books it was only for a limited time. Even the fact he's not turned up but Yoda is still around, because he's super powerful isn't too much of a stretch. But if no one is ever really gone becomes a thing then character deaths become meaningless.
I doubt it's meant literally, you aren't gonna see Han or Leia as a force ghost. It's just one of those things you tell people who've just seen people close to them die. And in Luke's case, is probably also a "surprise! I'm blue now" thing (and for the trailer, was a handy segue into the Palpatine reveal).

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Maybe, just like Luke, palps or that plague dude (whoever it was) made her. Hence why her parents are nobodies (which I still doubt), but she's still connected to Luke.

Or maybe I'm just rambling on a hot day.

RedDevilRoshi

Did they ever expand on who Snoke was in any books or comics?

That was my major gripe in the last film. Killed off far too early.

Who was he and where did he come from? None of those questions were answered.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Have you all seen the latest trailer?

Ray appears full on Sith with a black robe and double sided red lightsaber.

Looks mad, but I have a feeling it's going to be a dream sequence or something.

Ubik

Have you all seen the latest trailer?

Ray appears full on Sith with a black robe and double sided red lightsaber.

Looks mad, but I have a feeling it's going to be a dream sequence or something.

Either

A vision, or clone Reey!

Them star destroyers be original trilogy ones, as well. Palpatine's been holding out on us.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Fecking 'member berries for the first minute of that trailer. Calling it now, Vader plowed Yoda and have birth to Rey.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Yeah, I think that's a vision. JJ loves baiting people, always has.

Rey going to the dark side would be the big twist of this movie, wouldn't it? So I don't see why he would put it in one of the first teasers. With that being said, I still think it's an important moment. After Anakin and Luke, Rey is third time lucky for the galaxy. Anakin was the first chosen one but he fecked it, Luke was the second chosen one but he fecked it, Rey won't.

Anakin was first tempted by Palpatine to join the dark side and succumbed pretty easily. Luke then resisted the dark side and defeated it, but then he thought he could end it once and for all by just making more Jedi. Kylo Ren's existence proved him wrong there. Both of them were guided by hubris and arrogance of different kinds and ultimately caused more division in the galaxy by doing so. The Skywalker name has done more to damage the galaxy than help it in the end.

Rey's different, though. The kind of expectation on her shoulders isn't the same, which is why her not being a Skywalker remains important - there's no name to live up to. She'll understand the dark side, maybe even allow some of it to live within her, and maybe that's how she'll bring balance to the galaxy. Isn't that what the force is all about - balance? How can you bring balance to anything if you don't embrace some of your darkness? Anakin embraced too much of it, Luke barely entertained the notion - they were both scared of what balance truly means.

Both Rey and Kylo are two sides of the same coin and have the potential to go either way. Rey's a good person with some darkness in her, Kylo's a bad person with some goodness in him. That's balance to me. They're more complex characters than most of the characters we've had so far in the saga (that doesn't mean they're better characters, before you anti-TLJ lot start) and there's a lot of ground to explore. Looking forward to this now. Got no idea where they're going to take it. For the first time in my life I'm tempted to actually do a midnight showing, if only to watch everyone else react to whatever is about to go down.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Loved The Last Jedi. Rey is the best jedi ever written for the big screen. Cant wait for this.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Rey going to the dark side would be the big twist of this movie, wouldn't it? So I don't see why he would put it in one of the first teasers. With that being said, I still think it's an important moment. After Anakin and Luke, Rey is third time lucky for the galaxy. Anakin was the first chosen one but he fecked it, Luke was the second chosen one but he fecked it, Rey won't.

Anakin was first tempted by Palpatine to join the dark side and succumbed pretty easily. Luke then resisted the dark side and defeated it, but then he thought he could end it once and for all by just making more Jedi. Kylo Ren's existence proved him wrong there. Both of them were guided by hubris and arrogance of different kinds and ultimately caused more division in the galaxy by doing so. The Skywalker name has done more to damage the galaxy than help it in the end.

Rey's different, though. The kind of expectation on her shoulders isn't the same, which is why her not being a Skywalker remains important - there's no name to live up to. She'll understand the dark side, maybe even allow some of it to live within her, and maybe that's how she'll bring balance to the galaxy. Isn't that what the force is all about - balance? How can you bring balance to anything if you don't embrace some of your darkness? Anakin embraced too much of it, Luke barely entertained the notion - they were both scared of what balance truly means.

Both Rey and Kylo are two sides of the same coin and have the potential to go either way. Rey's a good person with some darkness in her, Kylo's a bad person with some goodness in him. That's balance to me. They're more complex characters than most of the characters we've had so far in the saga (that doesn't mean they're better characters, before you anti-TLJ lot start) and there's a lot of ground to explore. Looking forward to this now. Got no idea where they're going to take it. For the first time in my life I'm tempted to actually do a midnight showing, if only to watch everyone else react to whatever is about to go down.
And who's opinion have you copied and pasted there then?

You should be banned from all entertainment threads full stop.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

Is this an attempt to guess the timeline?