Gaming Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Castia

The game seems really good but why must we always make our way back to the start of the level? The mission is fine but completing it then spending 20 minutes running through everything you've already done seems off even with the short cuts they add. Strange, im finding myself faffing about way too much.

20 minutes of decent gameplay followed by 15 minutes of pissing about is starting to form a pattern.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The game seems really good but why must we always make our way back to the start of the level? The mission is fine but completing it then spending 20 minutes running through everything you've already done seems off even with the short cuts they add. Strange, im finding myself faffing about way too much.
Padding out game-time.

Art Vandelay

I didn't mind tracking back on the first planet, I found some secrets on the way, but it also revealed it to be essentially a big series of corridors.

Grib

20 minutes of decent gameplay followed by 15 minutes of pissing about is starting to form a pattern.
This sounds gross

Siorac

100% this. Also giving the illusion of less linear levels.

I wouldn't mind so much though if there were more humanoid combat chances in better situations than just increasing the number of mobs and letting them stunlock as a cheap way of difficulty.
And anything non-humanoid is just terrible to fight.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah this is just getting tedious now. The boss fights especially, there's nothing creative in them at all and that's largely thanks to the useless collision detection and controls.

And when are devs going to learn and if you are going to go for souls combat, one of the most important things is having the enemies have stamina and real movement too? Having a giant spider that spams charge attacks and insta 180s isn't hard to fight, it's just boring tedious nonsense. There's no creativity in that, nothing for the player to learn and be creative in fighting back.

The more I play the more bored I'm getting. That's not a good sign :(

Art Vandelay

You're finding the problems I had fairly early on. Animals are tedious to fight, there's no real tactics other than block/dodge and wait for an opening or just hope you wreck them quickly. You can't even learn their attacks because they don't seem to have any real animations before the attack it's just a sudden spamming of their basic attack or turning red then charging.

Strong attack using force and being so slow makes it a bit useless a lot of the time, although it's better with the other lightsabre. I found basically anything other than spamming X/force powers to be more danger to me than anything else.

Redlambs

You're finding the problems I had fairly early on. Animals are tedious to fight, there's no real tactics other than block/dodge and wait for an opening or just hope you wreck them quickly. You can't even learn their attacks because they don't seem to have any real animations before the attack it's just a sudden spamming of their basic attack or turning red then charging.

Strong attack using force and being so slow makes it a bit useless a lot of the time, although it's better with the other lightsabre. I found basically anything other than spamming X/force powers to be more danger to me than anything else.
True, but the hope was there would be variation as the game went on.

As I say, people try to copy soulsbourne but always miss the essence. This is worse than the others because it should have been so simple. I mean 3 force powers and none particularly useful? Really?

Woodzy

Finished it. Haven’t binged a game like that in a while.

Agree with some of the complaints but still loved it for what it was.

Story was okay, nothing amazing.

Siorac

And I'm pretty far in and only just realised the strong attack drains your force.

Like...why. How is that in any way necessary or helpful? Some of these design decisions seem to be half baked.
What strong attack?

If you mean the force attack (the overhead slash) then yeah, that's kind of your fault for not realising it drains Force :) The clue is in the name after all.

I don't have a problem with that. It's a powerful attack that can be comboed into even more powerful ones so it makes sense that you can't spam it. The game gives you quite a few lightsaber moves that don't drain Force though I miss a proper rolling attack.

I do agree about missing the essence of Souls games though. In more ways than just one: the level design with all the shortcuts are nice enough but there's not enough variety in the environments, not enough recognisable landmarks, hard to have a sense of place.

I'm still enjoying it though. Beating back blaster shots and force pushing rockets or probe droids at stormtroopers is always satisfying. And I kinda liked some of the puzzles.

Redlambs

Finished it. Haven’t binged a game like that in a while.

Agree with some of the complaints but still loved it for what it was.

Story was okay, nothing amazing.
Yeah it's not terrible, it can be fun.

But there's just way too many mish-mashed half baked ideas going on. And it's one of those games where you get some cool new ability, but it doesn't work in every scenario so you are left wondering why. Like the force push vs the at-st for example.

I guess I'm just more disappointed. It should have been so easy, but they tried so much and yet the game somehow is still just so empty. And the lack of collectables/upgrades/force powers is pretty ridiculous for a 2019 game. It's a shame but hopefully they work on it for a sequel.

Siorac

Yeah it's not terrible, it can be fun.

But there's just way too many mish-mashed half baked ideas going on. And it's one of those games where you get some cool new ability, but it doesn't work in every scenario so you are left wondering why. Like the force push vs the at-st for example.

I guess I'm just more disappointed. It should have been so easy, but they tried so much and yet the game somehow is still just so empty. And the lack of collectables/upgrades/force powers is pretty ridiculous for a 2019 game. It's a shame but hopefully they work on it for a sequel.
What collectibles do you mean? Because there's ponchos, droid designs, ship designs, lightsaber parts, force echoes.

Agree about force powers. Lightning would be great, if thematically a bit inappropriate.

Redlambs

What strong attack?

If you mean the force attack (the overhead slash) then yeah, that's kind of your fault for not realising it drains Force :) The clue is in the name after all.

I don't have a problem with that. It's a powerful attack that can be comboed into even more powerful ones so it makes sense that you can't spam it. The game gives you quite a few lightsaber moves that don't drain Force though I miss a proper rolling attack.

I do agree about missing the essence of Souls games though. In more ways than just one: the level design with all the shortcuts are nice enough but there's not enough variety in the environments, not enough recognisable landmarks, hard to have a sense of place.

I'm still enjoying it though. Beating back blaster shots and force pushing rockets or probe droids at stormtroopers is always satisfying. And I kinda liked some of the puzzles.
It's a overhead smash that's slow and does nothing major in damage. It's not that I missed it using force as much, it just makes absolutely no sense.

Like it you want to stop it being spammed, you just make it slower...oh wait...

That's the point, nearly everything in the game has a why??? Element to it. Nothing quite makes sense or is coherant enough in the game flow, which makes a lot of things awkward when it should be flowing.

What collectibles do you mean? Because there's ponchos, droid designs, ship designs, lightsaber parts, force echoes.

Agree about force powers. Lightning would be great, if thematically a bit inappropriate.
They are just cosmetics in the same looking crates, and you literally trip over them. And there's no point in any of it. That's not rewarding, it's kids stuff.

Speaking of which, they couldn't even get the customising bit quite right. Half the tables have a stupid glow light over them so you can't properly see the differences anyway. My gf was pissing herself every time I pointed that one out :lol:

Art Vandelay

I don't always agree with Jim Sterling, but I agree with most of his thoughts on this.

I really agree with his point that they chose the wrong game to copy to play a Jedi and it should be something more fluid and responsive. Not really being able to trust Cal to deal with things is another thing I really agreed with.

Redlambs

Nah, I think it could be done very well. You don't need a button masher and loads of flips every time.

What the problem is, for me, they missed the elements that makes that kind of fighting system work. There's no weight to attacks, no variation, the enemies are all standard, the bosses are cheap...basically there's nothing creative in figuring out your own way to play and beat anything. It's too in between various game types.

Then you add in incredibly bog standard parkour and stupid sliding stuff, levels that are fake deep and false difficult which is basically just adding extra enemies to groups as the game goes on, powers that are more situational than not but no real indication as to why, and you get a game with much more promise than any actual fun.

I mean it's not a bad game as such, just very unfocused. And it proves again pay for reviews are alive and well, and the only reason it's not where it belongs (6-7) on user sites is because it's Star Wars. It'd just be brushed off as yet another weak souls clone without the license. Because sadly that's exactly what it is.

Redlambs

Also a soulsbourne game absolutely should not have difficulty levels.

That's the reason there's no actual challenge in this. Because they haven't had to think about it and craft the game to scale with the player. If you make an enemy forgiving enough that lower levels can beat it, you can't just bump it's health and damage and expect it be a challenge for decent players. It just makes them take slightly longer, that's it.

Siorac

Nah, I think it could be done very well. You don't need a button masher and loads of flips every time.

What the problem is, for me, they missed the elements that makes that kind of fighting system work. There's no weight to attacks, no variation, the enemies are all standard, the bosses are cheap...basically there's nothing creative in figuring out your own way to play and beat anything. It's too in between various game types.

Then you add in incredibly bog standard parkour and stupid sliding stuff, levels that are fake deep and false difficult which is basically just adding extra enemies to groups as the game goes on, powers that are more situational than not but no real indication as to why, and you get a game with much more promise than any actual fun.

I mean it's not a bad game as such, just very unfocused. And it proves again pay for reviews are alive and well, and the only reason it's not where it belongs (6-7) on user sites is because it's Star Wars. It'd just be brushed off as yet another weak souls clone without the license. Because sadly that's exactly what it is.
The Eurogamer review is pretty much spot on, I think.

Siorac

Also a soulsbourne game absolutely should not have difficulty levels.

That's the reason there's no actual challenge in this. Because they haven't had to think about it and craft the game to scale with the player. If you make an enemy forgiving enough that lower levels can beat it, you can't just bump it's health and damage and expect it be a challenge for decent players. It just makes them take slightly longer, that's it.
Dunno about the lack of challenge. I still couldn't defeat a single one of those bounty hunters that come in pairs. They're flying around and torching me while I'm desperately dodging everywhere.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

haha walking simulator

Cloud7

Reading this thread and watching some videos, I think I’ll give this a miss. I absolutely can’t stand these dark souls type games these days. Even Code Vein I got fed up of.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Reading this thread and watching some videos, I think I’ll give this a miss. I absolutely can’t stand these dark souls type games these days. Even Code Vein I got fed up of.
Love the souls games. But I don't care much for Star Wars. I've watched a few films but never been hooked by it. Regardless this seems to not be all that much like Souls due to the lack of true challenge - more of a mix between uncharted and souls. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot a year later but right now I've got too many games in the queue

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Souls game are hard for the first 2-3 hours roadblock of your first hard boss (or hard route). After that tedious grind everything will become 2nd nature to you and becomes alot easier as you learn the difficulty pattern.

Souls veteran would have no problem playing a mew soul series because they had the troubleshoot mechanism embedded after the first one.

To be fair games arent evolving beyond the next gen, nothing is too hard with youtube guides all over. It's just how fast your hand is at the end of the day. At least until they can get to the next level of AI

Cloud7

Souls game are hard for the first 2-3 hours roadblock of your first hard boss (or hard route). After that tedious grind everything will become 2nd nature to you and becomes alot easier as you learn the difficulty pattern.

Souls veteran would have no problem playing a mew soul series because they had the troubleshoot mechanism embedded after the first one.

To be fair games arent evolving beyond the next gen, nothing is too hard with youtube guides all over. It's just how fast your hand is at the end of the day. At least until they can get to the next level of AI
It’s not the combat that I hate about them, the combat is okay. Rather I really dislike that you can’t pause the game, and I hate having to restart from so far back and hack and slash your way through the same enemies again if you die. I know that’s how it was when I initially started gaming, but it always felt tedious to me, especially when so many games these days offer checkpoints very close to each other, so even when you die there’s not much lost. I suppose I’ve become spoilt in that respect.

Cloud7

Love the souls games. But I don't care much for Star Wars. I've watched a few films but never been hooked by it. Regardless this seems to not be all that much like Souls due to the lack of true challenge - more of a mix between uncharted and souls. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot a year later but right now I've got too many games in the queue
I didn’t particularly enjoy the uncharted series either :lol: I agree there’s other things in the queue though. Outer worlds and the new Pokémon games, just to name a couple.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It’s not the combat that I hate about them, the combat is okay. Rather I really dislike that you can’t pause the game, and I hate having to restart from so far back and hack and slash your way through the same enemies again if you die. I know that’s how it was when I initially started gaming, but it always felt tedious to me, especially when so many games these days offer checkpoints very close to each other, so even when you die there’s not much lost. I suppose I’ve become spoilt in that respect.
Eh.. i think you can pause soul game. Or at least you can find a quiet corner and stand there.

Oh and the boss would always have a short route you can run pass everything and reset the encounter because you'll die alot.

Cloud7

Eh.. i think you can pause soul game. Or at least you can find a quiet corner and stand there.

Oh and the boss would always have a short route you can run pass everything and reset the encounter because you'll die alot.
Nope can’t pause, you have to find a corner, which I think is annoying.

Maybe I’m just an idiot :lol: But I’ve tried my fair share of these souls type games (Dark souls, Bloodborne and Code vein) and I’ve come to the conclusion that they’re just not for me.