Gaming Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Heard great things about the surge 2, while the surge i've mostly heard about as "great ideas done ok".
Yeah, so far that's about it. Having said that, it's way better than the likes of Lords of the Fallen and there is something about it that works.

I think people's main problem seems to be either the difficulty (it's not all that though, it seems about Bloodborne level if not easier) and the fact the enemies don't really give much notice of their moves, or visually it's hard to tell. It's not perfect, but if the second improves on that then I'm looking forward to it.

Redlambs

No one is "fooled" though, it is literally Metroidvania level design, people love that style, it isn't "bad", it is what it is, some like it, some not.
Wait, so you think levels are either 'vania or not? Like there's no shades of good and bad in between?

I mean, it's like the "souls style combat" comments. It really isn't like souls at all, people tend to think it is because you dodge and there's respawn points.

My point is just because there are simularities, it doesn't make everything suddenly good examples. And neither do reviews saying "it's souls with a lightsaber!" because just like the devs clearly have, that misses the nuances of the soulborne games that make them work.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Yeah there is nothing remotely Souls like about this game or it's combat which is really really simple and repetitive. The entire game just exists to stop you moving anywhere easily and to just gates you behind a repetitive sequence of jump, grab, climb, shimmy, drop down over and over 900 times in a row. I found an entire new area on a planet I'd never seen with what looked like an imperial base but decided feck that I just want to get back to my goddamn ship so I just walked away and left whatever it is there.

How did all those Stormtroopers get where they are? Did they do this bullshit parkour for 90 minutes just to get to a ledge where they then die. It's ridiculous. Let me walk the same way they walked. I wish it was more Assassins Creed style in that you can do all that if you want, or you can just walk around places freely.

The 2nd planet for example that temple you have to get to is at best a 10 minute walk in a straight line, but instead they just have you climbing walls for 60 minutes just so that when you finally get there they can be like woooo how did that feel, worth it? Now you get to do it all over again just to get back so you can go any further. It's a really poor and forced design to give the illusion of open world when actually it's an incredibly small playing area that guides you on a linear and never ending zig zag just to get to the other side of a ravine that you could probably jump across if it were real life.

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It's souls-like in that:
It's a arp with focus on dodging/parrying.
Shortcuts to help you back.
Bonfires.

Otherwise it's not, and worse than that it's terrible at two of those things:
The combat doesn't feel responsive enough. Even the control of Cal is largely poor when running around and doing gap-jumps.
Shortcuts aren't at all like the old "oh now I'm back here, what a awesome map!", it's more of a "feck, another closed door, it'll open up soon enough when I run back from the mission".

I honestly think people would think of the game as around the quality of Lords of the fallen if it wasn't star wars made by a big studio.
Happy for those who love it, especially star wars fans, but it could have been so much better. Hopefully EA will do better in the future with the franchise.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I got around to playing it now. I'm now some way into the second planet and enjoy this game a lot so far.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I like it, but it could've been so much better. The parrying is terrible and the combat overall isn't particularly fun, and it's frustrating at times. I also hate how far back you have to fecking go if you die, and the whole respawning enemies thing. if I wanted a Souls game I would've bought a damn Souls game. Oh and having to rerun the same parts of planets over and over again is really irritating.

I do think overall the level design is good, it looks nice and it is generally moderately decent fun with the lightsaber. It's a 7 out of 10, so far, I guess.

evil_geko

It is brilliant, I am halfway through on my second playthrough and it's even better second time around.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Finished it today. Now it's over and I'm sad. I could have played on for a while more, it feels better the more complete your set of skills gets.
I'm also ok with the ending.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So, a sequel has been confirmed it seems...

I've been playing this game the past few weeks whenever I've had some free time and I'm enjoying it. I'm up to the part where you have to go back to Dathomir after fixing your lightsaber. So, I'm pretty much finished.

I do have a few complaints. The puzzles are tedious, and feel like they're only there to artificially extend the game. I also don't think the lightsaber feels like, well, a lightsaber! I wish it - and the combat in general, to be honest - felt like the Jedi Knight games. The lightsaber battles in Outcast and Academy compared to this are like night and day.

I hope in the sequel you get to keep all your powers you've unlocked on this. Hopefully Cal - assuming that's who you are again - gets a change of clothes, too. I'd hope for an improvement on the combat and making the lightsaber feel like one as well, but they'll stick with the tried and trusted.

I'd personally love a game in the Jedi Knight fashion about Luke straight after ROTJ or about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan prior to TPM.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Another thing is the double jump. Just give us the bloody force jump.

You know why they didn't, too. With a force jump, it'd make traversing through the game that much easier, and they don't want that. So you get a double jump to, again, artificially extend game time.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
So, a sequel has been confirmed it seems...

I've been playing this game the past few weeks whenever I've had some free time and I'm enjoying it. I'm up to the part where you have to go back to Dathomir after fixing your lightsaber. So, I'm pretty much finished.

I do have a few complaints. The puzzles are tedious, and feel like they're only there to artificially extend the game. I also don't think the lightsaber feels like, well, a lightsaber! I wish it - and the combat in general, to be honest - felt like the Jedi Knight games. The lightsaber battles in Outcast and Academy compared to this are like night and day.

I hope in the sequel you get to keep all your powers you've unlocked on this. Hopefully Cal - assuming that's who you are again - gets a change of clothes, too. I'd hope for an improvement on the combat and making the lightsaber feel like one as well, but they'll stick with the tried and trusted.

I'd personally love a game in the Jedi Knight fashion about Luke straight after ROTJ or about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan prior to TPM.
This was my biggest complaint about the game and why I put it away halfway through and never went back. It's just artificial. Every planet is like this, blue line the trip to the waypoint green line the return back to the ship.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This was my biggest complaint about the game and why I put it away halfway through and never went back. It's just artificial. Every planet is like this, blue line the trip to the waypoint green line the return back to the ship.

Yep, agreed, mate. I really hope they sort that out in the sequel.

I can see why it'd cause you and others to stop playing, but the combat and story - whilst far from perfect themselves - kept me going.

I'm still wondering why spinning around in circles with two halves of a lightsaber takes awesome force power, but spinning around with a double ender doesn't...
That's another annoying thing. The power attacks (triangle in my case) taking force power? What?!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just finished it and I enjoyed it overall. I'm glad Merrin is apart of the crew now.

For the sequel, I hope they cut out/down the tedious puzzles and back tracking, add a force jump, make the lightsaber feel like one, and give Cal a change of clothes.

With Cere using a lightsaber again, and Merrin joining the crew, I'd love some local co-op for the next story mode, too. Not that I'm holding my breath for any of this to happen.

evil_geko

I hope for even more puzzles in sequel, game being mix of Dark Souls and Tomb Raider with platforming puzzles is what made me play this game three time through now. If they cut out the puzzles, I would be bored halfway through probably.

Redlambs

You forgot your favourite buzzword: Metroidvania!

I can't say I remember an actual puzzle from this though, I mean there was some pushing balls around early on that reminded me of those toddler shape games, but nothing that bothered me.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The game seems really good but why must we always make our way back to the start of the level? The mission is fine but completing it then spending 20 minutes running through everything you've already done seems off even with the short cuts they add. Strange, im finding myself faffing about way too much.

20 minutes of decent gameplay followed by 15 minutes of pissing about is starting to form a pattern.
Almost finished this, and while it’s a really fun game, and pretty great in several instances, THIS fecking aspect was the one major issue that sapped my enthusiasm a tad... aligned with the fact that you’re essentially just going back and forth between the same few planets most of the time, conspired to make a game that does actually have a good variety of shit to do, feel way smaller, by virtue of spending most of the run-time doing what feels like 3 or 4 very long levels, what feels like 3 or 4 times over!

Story wise it was fairly good - even for someone who enjoys playing up their dislike of Star Wars for comic effect - and props for surely being the only SW media to make “Order 66”(lol) seem like a genuinely dramatic and affecting event? Though it falls a while short of the current Gen high bar, by virtue of some very clunky capital V “Video game” chapter beats... the random evil Jedi you fight on the obviously evil planet, for example (why do all the planets in Star Wars have one singular geotropical feature?) just seems to come out of nowhere with a story way too insignificant and unrelated to be positioned so late in the game...also while I greatly enjoyed the aesthetic of the animal planet where everything is trying to kill you, the actual dynamics of fighting your way through an animal planet where everything is trying to kill you was surprisingly tedious... as pretty much anything involving animals was in fairness...

All in all pretty good fun though as 3rd person shooters go... thought its somehow both enjoyably different and incredibly samey at the same time.

Also the female former Jedi’s eyes were terrifying.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I only remember the one with the balls that raised platforms which all felt a bit needless.
Oh, that was the worst...

Also the female former Jedi’s eyes were terrifying.
I feel really bad for the actress that plays her (Cere). If she wasn't self conscious about her eyes before she must be now. Everyone always brings this up.

My wee fella is loving this. I wish it was a longer game though. Im trying to convince him to play it on a harder level.
Have you played it?

I wish it was longer, too. The fact that when you're done, and you feel like it could've been longer despite the developers artificially extending the game with the back tracking and puzzles, is quite... something.

AaronRedDevil

platinum the game a few days ago. Still not bored of it. The sound of lightsabers and stormtroopers shooting at you will never get boring. Love the game. That ending was just:eek::drool:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I wish I liked this game, but I gave up after 2 hours. Reminded me of ps1 Tomb Raider without the square boobs.

I fecking hated Tomb Raider.

evil_geko

EA has stated that Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has exceeded its expectations. As such, the game has sold more than 8 million copies (original expectations were between 6-8 million copies). The publisher also expects the game to sell 10 million units by March 31st 2020.
What was that what you said EA? Single player games are dead? Ok then.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just goes to show people will buy anything related to Star Wars. Tried playing this game again 2 weeks ago, but it's utter rubbish if you ask me.

evil_geko

Just goes to show people will buy anything related to Star Wars. Tried playing this game again 2 weeks ago, but it's utter rubbish if you ask me.
You said it yourself with post above mine, you hate Tomb Raider, so it's logical you hate it, I absolutely love platformers and Tomb Raider so this is right up my alley. Of course the name of "Star Wars" helped a lot, but the game is also really good regardless. You can't hit those numbers by name alone.

To each his own. I for example find Diablo games rubbish, which is universally beloved game series, but that is just me.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I thought it was a solid 7/10. It was grand, fine, decent, I enjoyed playing it, but I'd never go back, and I'd likely play a sequel if there is one.

el3mel

I did played this later on and actually really enjoyed it. Even played it on hard (Jedi Master) as I thought normal was way too easy.

It copies most of its ideas from games around (souls, uncharted, tomb raider) but they did it in a pretty fun. Definitely didn't regret playing it.

b82REZ

Started this. Enjoying it so far.

Each of it aspects are significantly weaker than the games that inspired it but as a sum of its parts its very enjoyable.

However graphically it has so many bugs and glitches. These sort of things don't normally bother me but my god its bad at times in this game. Put it into performance mode and the resolution is absolute arse.

Bosws87

There is something off about the animation, movement and combat in this game, could never put my finger on it but it just wasn't as fluid or as responsive it should of been was the deal breaker for me.

b82REZ

There is something off about the animation, movement and combat in this game, could never put my finger on it but it just wasn't as fluid or as responsive it should of been was the deal breaker for me.
I agree.

The combat is animation based and that in itself causes issues when it aspires to be a Souls-lite.

I had to wait a week until I properly started this because I'd just finished Ghost and the combat in that game is excellent and it made it obvious how floaty and unresponsive the comabt in this game is.

It's an above average adventure game though and I will slowly work my way through it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Decided to give this another go and beat it. I actually liked it a surprising amount.
especially the ending with Vader as a completely invincible boogeyman

It's insanely buggy though. Very sloppy.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Playing this at the moment... and I'm quite enjoying it at all, but I'm absolutely bloody dreadful at it. Any fight with pretty much any baddy/creature (especially creatures) I go into will result in me losing a bit (or a lot) of health... I can't seem to parry or dodge attacks very effectively, and yeah in general i'm just a bit naff. Is that normal for the start of the game? (I'm at the part where I've just learned Force Push)

Also find the movement to be a bit clunky with the jumps and stuff, but I assume this will also get better when I learn double jump?

el3mel

Playing this at the moment... and I'm quite enjoying it at all, but I'm absolutely bloody dreadful at it. Any fight with pretty much any baddy/creature (especially creatures) I go into will result in me losing a bit (or a lot) of health... I can't seem to parry or dodge attacks very effectively, and yeah in general i'm just a bit naff. Is that normal for the start of the game? (I'm at the part where I've just learned Force Push)

Also find the movement to be a bit clunky with the jumps and stuff, but I assume this will also get better when I learn double jump?
I started the game on normal and midway bumped it to hard. It's quite normal to struggle a little bit at the start till you get the hang of everything but later on I felt the game was starting to become too easy so hard ended up being good for me.

By the way I never played any Souls games, Sekiro or whatever, since the combat in this is influenced by them so I can confirm it doesn't matter.

The movement is a little bit clunky but you'll get used to it eventually.