Gaming Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I think this game will surprise a few people.

Here's a nice behind the scenes play through review from Game Central. Not the linear type game we all thought from the E3 conference.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/13/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-hands-preview-judge-trailer-not-9935316/

Rather than the linear level design it initially appeared to have the game is a honest-to-goodness Metroidvania, with the ability to explore the levels however you want – as long as you or your droid has the prerequisite ability or item. Not only are the levels much larger and interactive than they first seem but you can also travel back to other planets you’ve previously visited in order to use new abilities there.

Shark

@NotShark
EA will feck this up, no doubt. They’re an awful awful company who should be nowhere near Star Wars and Football.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
They have Chris Avellone for writing, I have quite a lot of hope for this game.

Bojan11

Out next week.

Been reading the previews and someone on Reddit got a copy early, so far looking very good. This will probably surprise a few people.

Bojan11

EA? Nah thanks

Bet you that abilities perk will be micro loot gated
There’s no loot boxes mate. It’s a single player experience by Respawn who are one of the best developers EA have.

Bojan11

DLC. Season pass etc.
Every games tends to have those. You can’t really aim that just at EA. Also they already announced there won’t be any DLC, season pass or loot boxes for this.

The reddit guy said this is 20 plus hours long. That’s more than enough.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Every games tends to have those. You can’t really aim that just at EA. Also they already announced there won’t be any DLC, season pass or loot boxes for this.

The reddit guy said this is 20 plus hours long. That’s more than enough.
Hmmm... interesting if true. But pardon me for having suspicious thoughts about EA.

On the plus side, I'd be watching the ussual pirate coves and report them to the authority

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I hope it will still run on my PC.. and that I will still be able to find the time once our baby son is born. All under the condition that the game does not suck after all.

Castia

I wish this wasnt from EA the robbing bastards
Im going to get a month of Origin premium access for £15 and complete the game within the month, can’t get much fairer than that.

Halftrack

You know it's doomed to be trash when electronic (f)arts are concerned.
EA is really nothing more than the publisher on this one. They hired Respawn to make the game (though they later bought them outright), and Respawn have said that EA have not been involved with the development of the game. Add to that the fact that EA damaging the Star Wars brand further is likely to see them lose the license (Disney were said to be extremely unhappy with the Battlefront 2 shitshow), and I think this has every chance to be a good game. If it turns out to be shit, it's unlikely to be because of something EA did.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'm guessing it will be shit and devoid of content compared to competitors within whichever genre it ends up in. Just so EA can say "we made a single player game and people didn't want it".

I also find it funny how some think that EA just funds shit and respawn, a fps company, is going to make a great souls-like rpg. :lol:

Bojan11

I'm guessing it will be shit and devoid of content compared to competitors within whichever genre it ends up in. Just so EA can say "we made a single player game and people didn't want it".

I also find it funny how some think that EA just funds shit and respawn, a fps company, is going to make a great souls-like rpg. :lol:
Guerilla games were just a FPS company before they made a certain Horizon. Were you laughing then? Not saying it’s going to turn into Dark Souls or whatever but that’s just a silly statement to make considering Respawn are probably the only reliable developers EA currently have. BioWare aren’t good. Dice have lost a few key figures and the last few BF games have sucked. Not gonna start on their EA sports section.

And this will sell well it has Star Wars name on it for starters especially with the new movie coming out and the previews have been very positive about it.

I think people need to just ignore who is publishing it because it’s about 5 times now in this thread it’s been mentioned the old EA going to add loot boxes, season passes or whatever. They can’t mess around with this license as Disney weren’t impressed with the bad press that battlefront was getting.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Guerilla games were just a FPS company before they made a certain Horizon. Were you laughing then? Not saying it’s going to turn into Dark Souls or whatever but that’s just a silly statement to make considering Respawn are probably the only reliable developers EA currently have. BioWare aren’t good. Dice have lost a few key figures and the last few BF games have sucked. Not gonna start on their EA sports section.

And this will sell well it has Star Wars name on it for starters especially with the new movie coming out and the previews have been very positive about it.

I think people need to just ignore who is publishing it because it’s about 5 times now in this thread it’s been mentioned the old EA going to add loot boxes, season passes or whatever. They can’t mess around with this license as Disney weren’t impressed with the bad press that battlefront was getting.
Selling well won't make EA not say that gamers didn't want it. They'll use whatever excuse they can. "People didn't finish it", "it didn't sell to expectations", "the profit wasn't high enough to make such games work for us as a publisher". Any and all types of bullshit EA comes up with tends to somehow fit into their general view of how to get the most money.

I'm not questioning Respawns quality as a studio, I am wondering why people seem to think that because of their name and history with fps games that they'll do well with a rpg. Guerilla games doing well with Horizon while the game is published by Sony themselves (you know, more time, money and focus on the game being good rather than looking for direct profit from the sales themselves) does not equate to Respawn doing great, as in producing a great game, with a Star Wars rpg while being published by EA. Even less so if it's meant to be Souls-like. Souls-like is way more than just slapping a stamina bar under the health-bar and making it difficult in order to make a good game.

People can't just ignore who is publishing it, because the publishers do matter a damn lot if we go by which games in recent times have been produced by first-party developers, and EA is a special case of being a bad publishers for gamers.
Just to list a few of the top-class sony published stuff and some of the EA ones to compare (could easily do Nintendo as well but I haven't played on the xbox myself):

Sony: Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted & Spider-Man.
EA: Battlefield, Need for Speed & Titanfall

I have to avoid mentioning the likes of Andromeda, Star Wars battlefront 1&2, The Sims and all their expansions to suck money out of people, Fifa & other sports-games with their constant focus on FUT and it's equals leeching money through packs and whatnot.

Sure, they have some good stuff they bought after it became a success like Plants and Zombies, Dragon Age & Dungeon Keeper and made the next game(s) disliked by either everyone in dungeon keepers case or by a big portion of their fan-base in Plants and Zombies 2. Bioware was bought in 2007 and published the first Dragon Age in 2009 with the games development starting back in 2002. DA 2 & Inquisition weren't exactly beloved by fans either.

If the new Star Wars game ends up being the catalyst to make EA produce quality single-player games that aren't focused on getting as much cash as possible in spite of how shitty the practices are towards the consumer then I'll happily change my view on EA. If the new Star Wars game becomes a quality rpg or just a decent souls-like game I'll happily buy it. But I won't pretend to have faith in a company that has shown nothing to deserve it and a ton to show that they don't deserve it.

Edit: feck, I forgot about Anthem. Well, Anthem was a thing.

Art Vandelay

Took a chance and pre-ordered after a big win in the bookies. It looks good, but everything about it says it should be shite. EA, Disney Star Wars, ginger. Yet it looks quite good.

CDkeys have the digital deluxe version for £42. Think you just get some lightsaber crafting stuff with it, but not sure. Better than the £60 they want on the store for it.

Halftrack

From what I've read, it's not going to be a Souls-like RPG (in fact, I don't think Respawn has ever referred to it as an RPG even, because they don't see it as such.) The Souls games have primarily served as an inspiration for the game's combat system. Respawn also brought in Stig Asmussen from Sony Santa Monica to helm the game. He's previously worked on the original God of War trilogy (and served as director on GoWIII) so he knows a thing or two about crafting action-adventure games.

I'm not trying to deny anyone the right to hate EA, I just outlined why EA being involved here does not necessarily spell disaster.

I hate EA, they've fecked up or killed off some of my favourite franchises (Sim City, Red Alert, Battlefield, Burnout, Skate.) They're greedy as feck, and demand all games be able to make money long term, but that's been gone over. Aside from that, they force Frostbite on everyone. Frostbite was made DICE for the Battlefield games, but after EA spun it off into it's own studio, even DICE are struggling with because it's no longer tailored to suit their needs. When BioWare made Anthem (a disaster of their own making, with EA playing a supporting role, much like Andromeda. God, BioWare are bad), they had trouble getting help from the Frostbite crew, because they were always busy helping out the NHL/FIFA/Madden teams. Anyone who became good at working with the engine got moved to work on one of said franchises, leaving other studios short on experience with it (as you can probably tell, I'm angry about Frostbite!)

Coincidentally, Respawn have steered clear of Frostbite, with Titanfall 1/2 and Apex being Source Engine, and Fallen Order being Unreal 4.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
From what I've read, it's not going to be a Souls-like RPG (in fact, I don't think Respawn has ever referred to it as an RPG even, because they don't see it as such.) The Souls games have primarily served as an inspiration for the game's combat system. Respawn also brought in Stig Asmussen from Sony Santa Monica to helm the game. He's previously worked on the original God of War trilogy (and served as director on GoWIII) so he knows a thing or two about crafting action-adventure games.

I'm not trying to deny anyone the right to hate EA, I just outlined why EA being involved here does not necessarily spell disaster.

I hate EA, they've fecked up or killed off some of my favourite franchises (Sim City, Red Alert, Battlefield, Burnout, Skate.) They're greedy as feck, and demand all games be able to make money long term, but that's been gone over. Aside from that, they force Frostbite on everyone. Frostbite was made DICE for the Battlefield games, but after EA spun it off into it's own studio, even DICE are struggling with because it's no longer tailored to suit their needs. When BioWare made Anthem (a disaster of their own making, with EA playing a supporting role, much like Andromeda. God, BioWare are bad), they had trouble getting help from the Frostbite crew, because they were always busy helping out the NHL/FIFA/Madden teams. Anyone who became good at working with the engine got moved to work on one of said franchises, leaving other studios short on experience with it (as you can probably tell, I'm angry about Frostbite!)

Coincidentally, Respawn have steered clear of Frostbite, with Titanfall 1/2 and Apex being Source Engine, and Fallen Order being Unreal 4.
Now the bolded parts are reasons to be more positive from my perspective. Thanks for the writeup. Short answer due to the game now. :)

Art Vandelay

Selling well won't make EA not say that gamers didn't want it. They'll use whatever excuse they can. "People didn't finish it", "it didn't sell to expectations", "the profit wasn't high enough to make such games work for us as a publisher". Any and all types of bullshit EA comes up with tends to somehow fit into their general view of how to get the most money.

If the new Star Wars game ends up being the catalyst to make EA produce quality single-player games that aren't focused on getting as much cash as possible in spite of how shitty the practices are towards the consumer then I'll happily change my view on EA. If the new Star Wars game becomes a quality rpg or just a decent souls-like game I'll happily buy it. But I won't pretend to have faith in a company that has shown nothing to deserve it and a ton to show that they don't deserve it.

Edit: feck, I forgot about Anthem. Well, Anthem was a thing.
I think the truth is somewhere between this and what @Bojan11 said about Disney and bad press. Apparently they were not amused with the bad press Battlefront 2 got and this feels almost like a concession to get some good PR as a result of that. It won't change EA, if it is a success then I think you're right they will find a way to say it's not what people wanted and they are right to sell half finished shite loaded with micro transactions. They know single player isn't dead, it just may as well be dead to them. I suspect down the line they will find a way to squeeze micro transactions into it, but for now they can't afford to piss Disney off with more bad press. They've been on a charm offensive with youtubers and press with this one.

The souls comparisons seem to be just lazy, like when everything got compared to Skyrim. It's also been compared to the recent Tomb Raider games and Metroidvania games.

Cloud7

In the long run Disney pulling the license for Star Wars games from EA would be best for the franchise. The scum don’t deserve it.

pacifictheme

In the long run Disney pulling the license for Star Wars games from EA would be best for the franchise. The scum don’t deserve it.
True but people who have early release copies and general feeling is that this will be a good game. I've pre ordered and i very rarely do that.

Cloud7

True but people who have early release copies and general feeling is that this will be a good game. I've pre ordered and i very rarely do that.
Hope you enjoy it mate. I’m PlayStation/Nintendo only so I’m getting blue balled on this anyway :lol:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Looks great - going to hold off until the new year before I consider buying it though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This comes out tomorrow, what the feck? Will it be good? Or are they embargoing it, so we won't know how shite it is until after we've bought it?

Bojan11

This comes out tomorrow, what the feck? Will it be good? Or are they embargoing it, so we won't know how shite it is until after we've bought it?
I can confirm it’s out tomorrow pal.

As for the reviews buy it after it’s not hard. Doom and quite a few Bethesda games had the same policy they all turned out to be decent. Or you could just watch someone play it on twitch right now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can confirm it’s out tomorrow pal.

As for the reviews buy it after it’s not hard. Doom and quite a few Bethesda games had the same policy they all turned out to be decent. Or you could just watch someone play it on twitch right now.
I will buy it regardless to be honest. Well unless it's universally panned. I loved the Force Unleashed too even though critics didnt.

Woodzy

Playing it now. All story to begin with but visually stunning and really interesting so far.