Television Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

choccy77

Of course he couldn't die, but no need to create a situation where Obi Wan spares him. Again.
Obi wan always said, he can't kill Anakin. He said that in ROTS and he didn't.

Remember, Anakin is the chosen one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I haven't watched this series yet; just a few clips of the fight scenes. I still have no real desire to watch it in full.

At this point I'm just really hoping that somebody at Disney has the vision to do something entirely new with the franchise. I'm sick to death of every series being reliant on the crutch that is fan-service. At this stage I'd rather they took a risk on something and have it go wrong than watch yet another scene which demonstrates just how badass Darth Vader was.
Agree with you on the over-reliance on fan service but this was only ever going to be that, so you either appreciate it on that level or do what you rightly did and just not bother. And tbf if you just watch the fan servicey bits on youtube you're not missing out on that much more. No point watching something you probably won't enjoy, just wait for them to make something that appeals to you more.

Taika Waititi has said whatever he's doing won't be connected to previous characters so that might be the best bet for something fresh.

choccy77

Or they just wouldn't care what happens on ANH. I thought they did OK when connecting the Vader and Obi Wan story from the end of the series to the film. Not so much with Leah (who sends that 'Help me Obi Wan Kenobi' message based on his relationship with her father and not herself).
They did explain it at the end.

choccy77

Agree with you on the over-reliance on fan service but this was only ever going to be that, so you either appreciate it on that level or do what you rightly did and just not bother. And tbf if you just watch the fan servicey bits on youtube you're not missing out on that much more. No point watching something you probably won't enjoy, just wait for them to make something that appeals to you more.

Taika Waititi has said whatever he's doing won't be connected to previous characters so that might be the best bet for something fresh.
What's the odds on Rita Ora being the main star?

Vernon Philander

so old(ish) man Kenobi is victorious against the most powerful Sith Lord, again. Why Star Wars, why

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
so old(ish) man Kenobi is victorious against the most powerful Sith Lord, again. Why Star Wars, why
Well for one any confrontation between them has to end with Obi Wan winning as ANH makes it clear that Obi Wan had the upper hand the last time they met. So on a really basic level there's that.

But also Obi Wan isn't supposed to be some scrub anyway. And the show also set up that Anakin/Vader's need to prove himself and win is a weakness, one that particularly applies in confrontations with Obi Wan you'd think.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Mandolorian still the best Star Wars series. Obi-Wan wasn't terrible, wasn't great either. I think doing a storyline with characters we know the outcome of was always going to be a bit boring though.

Woodzy

Not the greatest finale in the world but for some reason I did enjoy

Vader getting an absolute battering

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Very good series (with the exception of the Reva subplot). Fantastic finale. They can simply continue making more seasons until they reach a new hope.

Tyrion

Mandolorian still the best Star Wars series. Obi-Wan wasn't terrible, wasn't great either. I think doing a storyline with characters we know the outcome of was always going to be a bit boring though.
Agreed. That's why I had little interest in Boba Fett. I'd love to see an Old Republic story with the likes of Revan and Bane because the further they get from the original trilogy, the more interesting it can get (unless its the sequel trilogy).

As I understand it, Vader post-ROTS is more powerful in the force but weaker physically than he was back before Mustafaar.

Well for one any confrontation between them has to end with Obi Wan winning as ANH makes it clear that Obi Wan had the upper hand the last time they met. So on a really basic level there's that.

But also Obi Wan isn't supposed to be some scrub anyway. And the show also set up that Anakin/Vader's need to prove himself and win is a weakness, one that particularly applies in confrontations with Obi Wan you'd think.
That's true. As Palpatine said, Vaders judgment is clouded on this subject. Slightly similar to when he's fighting Luke in the future. The side of him that's Anakin starts to conflict with Vader. Logically he shouldn't have even gone after Kenobi given that he was clearly trying to draw them away from the ship.

Ted Lasso

Feel the same.

The lightsaber duels have been terrible for about ten years now. Do they not hire swordsman to choreograph anymore?

Sylar

It was fun and I enjoyed the finale
The series overall was great despite some really daft things (three still stuck out ha)

But the Vader / Obi wan stuff was great

Also side note, after the finale I went on YouTube and watched the Vader/Obi fight from ANH
It's hilarious

Vapor trail

It was decent, I think Disney are going downhill generally but this certainly wasn't the worst iteration of the Star Wars spin off series.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
One detail I am surprised I missed until the final episode:
Leia’s adoptive mother is a total milf.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Feel the same.

The lightsaber duels have been terrible for about ten years now. Do they not hire swordsman to choreograph anymore?
I much prefer the style of lightsaber fight we got in this to that of the prequel films, which were blighted by silly acrobatics and a lack of any sense of physical weight.

It also helps that unlike the fight in ROTS, this wasn't interspersed with famously stupid one-liners like "from my point of view the jedi are evil" or that high ground nonsense.

Ted Lasso

I much prefer the style of lightsaber fight we got in this to that of the prequel films, which were blighted by silly acrobatics and a lack of any sense of physical weight.

It also helps that unlike the fight in ROTS, this wasn't interspersed with famously stupid one-liners like "from my point of view the jedi are evil" or that high ground nonsense.
Might be my memory is not serving me well. Could have sworn Lucas' intent with the original duels and weapon itself was meant to be loosely based on Asian martial arts/fighting.

The prequels we're a bit of embellishment but it felt like they were light on their feet and the weapon was as well. The more recent fights seem.. heavy, like they're using giant medieval swords rather than almost weightless blades balanced on the hilt.

Just not for me.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I agree with this 100%. The only way I could see it possibly working is getting Obi-wan away from Luke, Leia, and Vader and doing something completely different on a planet on the opposite side of the galaxy. Something like Thrawn for example (though I have no idea where Thrawn sits in the current canonical timeline).
A bunch of baby Kenobis somewhere would be half interesting, yes.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
It was fun and I enjoyed the finale
The series overall was great despite some really daft things (three still stuck out ha)

But the Vader / Obi wan stuff was great

Also side note, after the finale I went on YouTube and watched the Vader/Obi fight from ANH
It's hilarious
This is a pretty well made fan edit, tbf.

kps88

Him choosing to spare Darth’s life with no internal struggle felt a bit weird. He even said something like “so my friend is really dead” and called him Darth. Made it feel like he was showing mercy to Vader rather than Anakin.

Mmm-Qatarian

Yeah, I really just watched the fan-service stuff. I think you perfectly captured why I have no real desire to watch the whole show: it really seems that there's no reason to when everything I'll enjoy in the episodes can be found in a five minute YouTube clip.

I have enjoyed Taika Waititi's work in the past so I might hold out some hope that there is interesting new material yet to come from the Star Wars universe. I confess I am also yet to watch The Mandalorian, and at least the first series of that seems to depart from the reliance on fan-service we've seen from the other Disney shows.

Sylar

That is fantastic. The original has that little charm to it knowing the time period and yet is hilarious in comparison given the timeline of what happens before it in prequels

But Ultimately this is great. Given lucas has put Hayden as anakins ghost force face, surprised he didn't add something like this to ANH remastered

Last edited:

WPMUFC

At first i thought Reva's character was very hammy. But i actually ended up liking her.
Episode 6 was Ewan at his best. Loved seeing him back.
All in all a solid 7/10.

Last edited:

Big Andy

Bloke
This was set what, about 9 years before ANH? Living in the desert on Tattoine really ages a bloke.

choccy77

Very good series (with the exception of the Reva subplot). Fantastic finale. They can simply continue making more seasons until they reach a new hope.
They have 2 seasons of Andor for this starting August.

choccy77

Yep, Alec Guinness was in fact playing a 48 year old. Sitting in a cave for another 10 years did him no good
Alec Guinness was 57 at the time.

Ewan is 50 currently.

To be fair, Alec never had all the beauty products available today

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They have 2 seasons of Andor for this starting August.
So I've heard. I just can't imagine them only having a series with characters that are ancillary to the entire Skywalker saga, but not characters that are central to it. Which is why I can't imagine this will be the only season of Kenobi.

Sylar

Reva needs more though. She basically butchered everybody, and her just not killing Luke shouldnt be her redemption or face turn. She still butchered everybody, hurt people and should still be seen as a villain despite the last second turn.

SuperiorXI

The Reva character was one of the weakest parts of the show I thought. They could have done a lot better with her character. A bit more sense and logic in her actions would have helped.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There's not been a single decent lightsaber fight since Revenge of the Sith.

RedDevilRoshi

Thought the finale was very good. Few observations below:

Fight scene between Obi-Wan & Vader was brilliant.

I thought we would have seen Vader visiting Padme’s coffin as what seemed to be teased before the series started

Would have liked to have seen a bit more of an interaction between Obi-Wan & Luke at the end there rather than a two word “hello there”

Qui-Gon’s ghost appearing was nicely done although would have been better if there was a bit more dialogue between the two.

Reva came across as such a poor antagonist throughout the series.