Television Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
We know why it had to happen, because the original trilogy exists but the way it was filmed having Obi Wan just walk away from Vader and leave him alive to carry on murdering thousands of people is just bewildering. That shouldn't have been an option, something should have happened to interrupt their fight where Obi Wan had the upper hand but something either split them up or Vader escapes etc and that's why they were separated. Not have it where Obi Wan speaks in absolutes again 'either he dies or I do but this ends today' and then neither option happens, he just walks away like 'ok I guess carry on being a mass murderer of Jedi, have fun'. The fact that they chose to finish that with Obi Wan making it a conscious choice to spare him rather than simply being unable to finish the job for some reason is bizarre. He already left him to die once and he didn't, now he leaves him very much alive without a reasonable excuse for it.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We know why it had to happen, because the original trilogy exists but the way it was filmed having Obi Wan just walk away from Vader and leave him alive to carry on murdering thousands of people is just bewildering. That shouldn't have been an option, something should have happened to interrupt their fight where Obi Wan had the upper hand but something either split them up or Vader escapes etc and that's why they were separated. Not have it where Obi Wan speaks in absolutes again 'either he dies or I do but this ends today' and then neither option happens, he just walks away like 'ok I guess carry on being a mass murderer of Jedi, have fun'. The fact that they chose to finish that with Obi Wan making it a conscious choice to spare him rather than simply being unable to finish the job for some reason is bizarre. He already left him to die once and he didn't, now he leaves him very much alive without a reasonable excuse for it.
Obi Wan is also witness to Vader’s brutality in the third episode where he basically kills innocents to draw Kenobi out. Yet he still lets him live.

caid

Its a bit stupid and definitely inconsistent rule but jedi aren't meant to kill if it can be avoided. Anakin killing Dooku in Episode 3 is part of his fall. Leaving aside A New Hope etc. Obi Wan executing a disabled Anakin would be awkward and hard to justify. No one dies in this series ever though. Even when it makes no sense whatsoever like han solo coming back or when its kind of tasteless like Peter Cushing.
They should have forced his exit with maybe the inquisitor going down to the planet and forcing him to bail and steal vaders shuttle for the hyperdrive (the escape shuttle having one is my nitpick of the series). It would have been easier to overlook the hundred odd stormtroopers obi wan murdered along the way.
I'll get over it. The open ended 'we might do a season 2' ending bothers me slightly more.

Zarlak

Its a bit stupid and definitely inconsistent rule but jedi aren't meant to kill if it can be avoided. Anakin killing Dooku in Episode 3 is part of his fall. Leaving aside A New Hope etc. Obi Wan executing a disabled Anakin would be awkward and hard to justify. No one dies in this series ever though. Even when it makes no sense whatsoever like han solo coming back or when its kind of tasteless like Peter Cushing.
They should have forced his exit with maybe the inquisitor going down to the planet and forcing him to bail and steal vaders shuttle for the hyperdrive (the escape shuttle having one is my nitpick of the series). It would have been easier to overlook the hundred odd stormtroopers obi wan murdered along the way.
I'll get over it. The open ended 'we might do a season 2' ending bothers me slightly more.
That would have been the better option I think, the Grand Inquisitor finally gets involved and justifies being in the show and forces Kenobi to abandon Vader.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I was rewatching the last duel in Episode 6. The part where Obi Wan just walks away is stupid, and I'll try to pretend that did not happen, but the moments that preceded it were honestly quite brilliant.

The helmet fracture is of course a trick they copied from Rebels, but as derivative as it was, it was an effective means to let Obi Wan try and communicate with the man whom he once considered his brother. The preceding episodes show Obi Wan racked with guilt and failure, and it was very moving and consistent that the first thing he would say to Anakin was an apology. It was emotional trauma he was carrying since ROTS ('I have failed you, Anakin'), one that clearly drove him to be a shadow of himself. Vader's response boasting of how he was the one who killed Anakin, sinister smile and all, was essentially catharsis for Obi Wan. It was closure, an acknowledgement that he did what he could, but Anakin was simply gone. While Obi Wan is going through this moment, the blue of his own lightsaber is transitioned into the red of Vader's, and I felt that was well done. Ewan McGregor's acting as he talks to Anakin/Vader was top class, too.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Pretty much agree with this for the bizarre aftermath to their fight.

Zarlak

I was rewatching the last duel in Episode 6. The part where Obi Wan just walks away is stupid, and I'll try to pretend that did not happen, but the moments that preceded it were honestly quite brilliant.

The helmet fracture is of course a trick they copied from Rebels, but as derivative as it was, it was an effective means to let Obi Wan try and communicate with the man whom he once considered his brother. The preceding episodes show Obi Wan racked with guilt and failure, and it was very moving and consistent that the first thing he would say to Anakin was an apology. It was emotional trauma he was carrying since ROTS ('I have failed you, Anakin'), one that clearly drove him to be a shadow of himself. Vader's response boasting of how he was the one who killed Anakin, sinister smile and all, was essentially catharsis for Obi Wan. It was closure, an acknowledgement that he did what he could, but Anakin was simply gone. While Obi Wan is going through this moment, the blue of his own lightsaber is transitioned into the red of Vader's, and I felt that was well done. Ewan McGregor's acting as he talks to Anakin/Vader was top class, too.
I don't think it was boasting, I think that was the little of Anakin that was left absolving Obi Wan. You see the light in that moment change from the glow of Vaders red lightsaber to Obi Wans blue reflecting on Vaders face as he talks about he isn't Obi Wans failure, but he killed Anakin himself and then the reflection changes back to Anakins red saber as he says 'just as I will destroy you' and Vader is back again. The show makes a big deal of contrasting lights and reflections to show dark/light bad/good throughout. The movies themselves do the same.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
I don't think it was boasting, I think that was the little of Anakin that was left absolving Obi Wan. You see the light in that moment change from the glow of Vaders red lightsaber to Obi Wans blue reflecting on Vaders face as he talks about he isn't Obi Wans failure, but he killed Anakin himself and then the reflection changes back to Anakins red saber as he says 'just as I will destroy you' and Vader is back again. The show makes a big deal of contrasting lights and reflections to show dark/light bad/good throughout. The movies themselves do the same.
I would agree with you, if not for Hayden's creepy smile as he says 'I did' (this is while he's still in the blue of Obi Wan's lightsaber). I think we differ in our interpretation of who the 'I' is in the ''I am not your failure" line. If I'm not wrong, you're saying it's Anakin. I think it's still Vader.

Vader considers Anakin to be an inferior version of himself that he grew stronger from - he says that in Rebels, too. The subtext to 'I am not your failure', as I read it, seems to be, 'The death of Anakin wasn't your failure, it was my (Vader's) achievement.' Obi Wan reached out to Anakin behind that mask, but all he found was Vader. That is when he realizes Anakin is long gone, and the person who says 'I am what remains' is just Vader now, who is 'more machine now than man'.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Reva needs more though. She basically butchered everybody, and her just not killing Luke shouldnt be her redemption or face turn. She still butchered everybody, hurt people and should still be seen as a villain despite the last second turn.
This is normal for Star Wars though isn't it? Vader kills the emperor and we all love Anakin again even though he probably murdered millions of people including defenseless children.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
can someone explain how:
- A 10 year old (cast by a girl who looks not a day over 5/6) can outrun kidnappers in the woods with some ease before eventually being nabbed).
- Why Reva didn't kill Hajar in the alley way? She's clearly 'dark' then and has had no problem killing petulant adults.
- How Tala (Indira Verma's character) was able to easily disarm so many storm troopers, once by just slapping his helmet :lol: An argument is she could have touched his breathing equipment but it was so poorly executed, looked like a 90 year old giving a Rick Flair slap. The execution looked more flirtatious than violent.
- How the living feck they were able to evacuate Lea from the Imperial space ship by hiding her under Obi Wan's coat :lol: The entire crew is on red alert on the look out and there's a jedi looking bloke running in a bulky hoody with 4 legs - 2 of which resemble the missing 10 year old.
- How Reeva survives being stabbed in pretty much the same place as Qui Gon Jinn? This can only reasonably be explained if Vader didn't use his sabre, but the grand wizard sabre (which may be weaker, and I'm assuming that's also how the Grand Inquisitor survived too). But then why did Vader only use that and not a proper one? Again, he has no problem killing people and he had more than a good reason to kill Reeva.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
can someone explain how:
- A 10 year old (cast by a girl who looks not a day over 5/6) can outrun kidnappers in the woods with some ease before eventually being nabbed).
- Why Reva didn't kill Hajar in the alley way? She's clearly 'dark' then and has had no problem killing petulant adults.
- How Tala (Indira Verma's character) was able to easily disarm so many storm troopers, once by just slapping his helmet :lol: An argument is she could have touched his breathing equipment but it was so poorly executed, looked like a 90 year old giving a Rick Flair slap. The execution looked more flirtatious than violent.
- How the living feck they were able to evacuate Lea from the Imperial space ship by hiding her under Obi Wan's coat :lol: The entire crew is on red alert on the look out and there's a jedi looking bloke running in a bulky hoody with 4 legs - 2 of which resemble the missing 10 year old.
- How Reeva survives being stabbed in pretty much the same place as Qui Gon Jinn? This can only reasonably be explained if Vader didn't use his sabre, but the grand wizard sabre (which may be weaker, and I'm assuming that's also how the Grand Inquisitor survived too). But then why did Vader only use that and not a proper one? Again, he has no problem killing people and he had more than a good reason to kill Reeva.
Here, you will need this. Whatever dosage you usually employ for sci-fi or fantasy - quadruple it for this series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Here, you will need this. Whatever dosage you usually employ for sci-fi or fantasy - quadruple it for this series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief
I've forgone a lot of critical thinking over the 9 Star Wars films. I've actually liked most of them, even the first 3 which is terribly weird given how trashed they were.

Despite that, I can't get my head over this many vital plotholes in a series. That too in 2022 where in my opinion, there's more thought in making events more logical and it's not just the charisma of Harrison Ford papering over any weak writing.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
I've forgone a lot of critical thinking over the 9 Star Wars films. I've actually liked most of them, even the first 3 which is terribly weird given how trashed they were.

Despite that, I can't get my head over this many vital plotholes in a series. That too in 2022 where in my opinion, there's more thought in making events more logical and it's not just the charisma of Harrison Ford papering over any weak writing.
I agree with you - the original trilogy can have the liberty of getting away with far more given how genre-defining, novel and ambitious it was for its era and its budget. There should be absolutely no defense of the writing in this series which involves a comparison with their inconsistencies.

There is no defense for this series, really. They burnt through a massive budget, had treasure troves of canon to rely on and build upon, well-defined, universally popular characters and their corresponding tropes to lean on for fan service, and still fecked up so horribly. All we can do is take the good parts and try to forget the blasphemous remains. Like I do with the sequels.

One good thing to look forward is the fan-edits that will follow.

Sylar

This is normal for Star Wars though isn't it? Vader kills the emperor and we all love Anakin again even though he probably murdered millions of people including defenseless children.
That's very fair and true :lol:
And even then as we know, he didn't really kill the emperor ha

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Overall I enjoyed the series even though there were quite a few moments that just didn't make sense to me and a few characters I just didn't take to. The last couple of episode's were great I thought and the final battle was superbly done and quite moving at the end. The Mandalorian continues to be my favorite Star War spin off by quite a distance though.

Spoony

The People's President
My favourite scene was when Reva chased young Luke and he bashed his head against the rocks.

Reva > Vader.

Justice for sexy Reva played by sexy Reva lookalike.
Darth Maul instead of Reva would've been fun. A series full of battles between Vader, Maul and Obi - and nowt else.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Darth Maul instead of Reva would've been fun. A series full of battles between Vader, Maul and Obi - and nowt else.
Oh right, totally forgot about Maul. Looks like another boat that sailed, while Star Wars animated series had Maul as one of the main antagonists working hard behind scenes and fog of ongoing wars, interacting with pretty much every key SW character, even that Ahsoka girl.

If somehow they decide to make Obi season 2, they'll probably shoehorn him somehow, but it could be just another detriment to Vader, who will probably be acting even more angry emo for the sake of it. 'I'll get you this time, Obi-Wan because last time doesn't count and I'm even more edgy with additional scar on my already lava burnt face...'

kps88

I really hope they don't waste their time with a second season and move on to something new. The timeline just isn't interesting enough to explore in such detail. I quite like assuming Kenobi just chilled in a hut on Tatooine until R2D2 came calling.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Not quite. Redemption arcs require sacrifice for the audience to get back on board with them being good guys. Anakin might have returned to the light side, but he paid for it with his life. But had he survived I think there was a long stay at some brutal super max in his future.

Reva on the other hand walks away Scott free after killing who knows how many men women and children, including hanging them in the streets. Cuts pieces off of people to get information. Tortures little girls for information so she can kill more men women and children. And worst of all does a terrible impression of batman. For her to have a redemptive arc, she needed to make a sacrifice. And not just "I don't want to kill this child anymore".

Anakin is a bit more complex than that as he's almost two different people. Becoming Anakin again in his final moments was to remember the man that he was, and not the monster that he became. In essence, he killed the emperor and Darth Vader. Reva just didnt kill Luke. She didnt pay any kind of price for any of the other things she did. Its not really the same.

Big Andy

Bloke
I really hope they don't waste their time with a second season and move on to something new. The timeline just isn't interesting enough to explore in such detail. I quite like assuming Kenobi just chilled in a hut on Tatooine until R2D2 came calling.
He didn't chill, he worked as a butcher on that long space worm thing. no wonder he aged pretty badly.

GBBQ

can someone explain how:
Yeah there really isn't any logical reason for Vader to leave Reeva alive or for Obi Wan to leave Vader alive. Obi Wan could either kill him (like Darth Maul) or arrest him (like Mace Windu wanted to do with Palpetine). Feck it even have Vader breaking out of jail as your start to the next show and maybe his reluctance to go after Obi Wan is cos he got his ass handed to him.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Right up there with the Darth Maul fight with Kenobi and Qui-Gon in episode 1.
Ooph, that is some comparison, Darth Maul was a fantastic Villain they didn't utilise in this universe. A stupid hologram in the Solo film gave such high hopes yet never delivered

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ooph, that is some comparison, Darth Maul was a fantastic Villain they didn't utilise in this universe. A stupid hologram in the Solo film gave such high hopes yet never delivered
He was supposed to be in the Kenobi series, but got cut during the process. Maybe there's a way to bring him back in season two, if they do one.

choccy77

He was supposed to be in the Kenobi series, but got cut during the process. Maybe there's a way to bring him back in season two, if they do one.
To be fair, he was initially discussed but it was never concrete as they quickly changed direction, scrapped the movie, scrapped the TV show and then brought back a limited series focusing on Vader. (and Reva, and Leia etc)

choccy77

Oh BTW

Natalie Portman is returning to play Padme again in another show that's coming.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The finale was all over the place. Showdown at half time, followed by another showdown which just fizzles out. I mean, I liked it in parts, the fighting was pretty awesome, but overall it felt very jumbled to me.

Oldyella

To get a spin off show. Thats her only reason for existence. She added nothing to the story or the characters of Kenobi or Vader. Take her out of the show, and you get the same show as someone else will fill in her parts with ease. The sin of it is, that theres a really good story there for that character in her own show. But we will never see it as that opportunity was pissed away by shoe horning her in to Kenobi.
If not for Reva, Ben would never have learnt that Anakin was now Vader, and she set in motion all the events that took place just by being so focused on her revenge. She was pro active, where the other inquisitors weren't. And of course someone else could have filled her parts, and then people would have been complaining about how that character wasn't needed.

dinostar77

So with this being a monster rating hit for disney+ and 10 years still left before A New Hope in the series timeline. Theres plenty of space and time for them to do a followup series or two of obi-wan. No doubt a few more clashes with vadar will be thrown in.

#milkthecashcow

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Doesn't have to be Vader, I suppose. Given they already brought Darth Maul back to life in that Han Solo film, could easily bring him in as a villain for a season.

Norman Brownbutter

If not for Reva, Ben would never have learnt that Anakin was now Vader,
No, thats dumb Tv logic. Vader was no secret to anyone. He was up and about at the end of Revenge commanding the Emperors forces. If Kenobi needs that spelled out to him...oh dear.

and she set in motion all the events that took place just by being so focused on her revenge.
No, utter stupidity and contrivance set the events into motion.

She was pro active, where the other inquisitors weren't.
Yes, because they were written that way. In the Clone wars they were anything but lacking in focus and drive.

And of course someone else could have filled her parts, and then people would have been complaining about how that character wasn't needed.
Thats just a nonsense argument. Reva wasnt needed because the show relied on contrivance anyway. But what she did do was steal focus from the main protagonist and the main story. No one gives a feck about Reva. She's just some angry over acting rage monster who seems to know everyones secrets. "Oh my god, you guys. You like totally suck at being inquisitors. Let me show you how its done!". All these evil characters, but no. We need Reva for some reason...

Remove Revas "arc" and leave her as just some over achieving inquisitor and the story doesn't change at all. Pass her actions off to others, and once again the story doesn't change. But what you don't get is the build up to a spin off. Which is what she's there for. Thats what all her actions were leading to. And the "I didnt kill this blonde kid, so Im a good guy now." is so dumb she might as well have killed and said "oops, Im a good guy now". Her attacking Luke at all was utterly and completely pointless. Not to mention time bendingly fecked up. Just how long were those people reenacting the last Jedi that Reva could survive another lightsaber to the chest, get a message that said nothing but some how figure out everything, get a ship, get to tattooine, get to the market, show everyone how good guy she is now by bullying the bully..., get the information she needs about Owen, hobble her stabbed ass out into the desert and then attack Owen all the while Kenobi is sitting around moping, then taking a ship with a perfectly good hyperdrive and not use said hyperdrive, land on a planet, get her ass kicked, and then buried. Have a vision of some kids, get his mojo back, kick Vaders ass, cry about how sorry he was, then walk away leaving him to kill millions more people, take off from said planet while avoiding the star destroyer still in orbit, hyperspace his ass to Tattooine just in time to ask the dumbest fecking question any one could ever ask people shouting a boys name into the darkness of the desert. "Is the boy gone?". "No, Ben. We just like to stand around in the dark and yell out Lukes name for shits and giggles...".

Reva is there to set up her own show. Thats her main function, her main goal. Everything else is just details to completing that goal.

Norman Brownbutter

Doesn't have to be Vader, I suppose. Given they already brought Darth Maul back to life in that Han Solo film, could easily bring him in as a villain for a season.
They had a plan in place to bring Maul back for Kenobi. Then Park uploaded a blow job video "by accident" and the plan seemed to fall apart for reasons unrelated...

Everything Ive read on the subject has people saying Sam Witwer will be taking over the role going forward. He voiced the character in the clone wars, which is probably why his name is on everyones lips. Have no idea though, but there was a plans to have maul showing up in multiple shows including his own tv show. Seems to have all died down though after that unrelated video snafu.

Last edited: