Television Star Wars Universe

hungrywing

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Wouldn't a second duel and loss diminish Vader even more?

Losing as an apprentice (Anakin) this winning as Vader would make much more sense. It could also segway further into why Obi decides to hide away once and for all.

Of course assuming they are going to ignore that line in ANH, which they likely will.
Yeah maybe, or maybe he had to flee due to reasons unknown. Maybe he was overwhelmed by memories of Obi Wan or Padme or something else. Be interesting how they spin it as a sequel of sorts.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Are they trying to replicate the Marvel universe in TV shows (rather than movies) for SW?

I'm not sure of this....as keeping track of 3 or 4 movies a year is still easier than tens of linked episodes in multiple shows. Plus we'd also have further movies which are linked to TV shows. Looks like this would be more extensive than Marvel!

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Are they trying to replicate the Marvel universe in TV shows (rather than movies) for SW?

I'm not sure of this....as keeping track of 3 or 4 movies a year is still easier than tens of linked episodes in multiple shows. Plus we'd also have further movies which are linked to TV shows. Looks like this would be more extensive than Marvel!
It definitely has potential to get confusing but if the quality is like The Mandalorian & they don’t confuse too many things with the timeline then I can’t wait for it. The making sure each series makes sense & remains true to Star Wars is why I’m so keen for Filoni to be given overall creative control of Star Wars - he just gets it.

On the Marvel side of things, Disney+ is going to be showing a series focusing on key characters so that we know whats happened to them to date. Starts with Wanda & Vision before WandaVision airs. I think they’ll do the same with Star Wars, especially as they’ll be jumping in the timeline across all the series.

Camilo

I find it all desperately boring. Zero chances taken, in the recent films or with any of the series. It's all become so watered down the excitement has long gone..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Im rewatching the latest trilogy, because Im bored and feck it, but my God The last jedi and Rise of Skywalker are a steaming pile of shite. I cant even begin to list the parts I hate. I do like Adam Driver's acting, but it's a tiny bandaid on a grand canyon sized wound.

They make Infinity War and Endgame (which I also rewatched) seem like Citizen Kane. They also gave me a new appreciation for the orequel trilogy. They might be coarse like sand, but at least they're adventury and fun.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Im rewatching the latest trilogy, because Im bored and feck it, but my God The last jedi and Rise of Skywalker are a steaming pile of shite. I cant even begin to list the parts I hate. I do like Adam Driver's acting, but it's a tiny bandaid on a grand canyon sized wound.

They make Infinity War and Endgame (which I also rewatched) seem like Citizen Kane. They also gave me a new appreciation for the orequel trilogy. They might be coarse like sand, but at least they're adventury and fun.
Fond memories of the original 3 (4,5,6) but the reality is they really aren't that special. What I'd love to see is someone actually remake them all chronologically with a more modern and gritty tone to them. It would be a massive undertaking but incredible nonetheless.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Fond memories of the original 3 (4,5,6) but the reality is they really aren't that special. What I'd love to see is someone actually remake them all chronologically with a more modern and gritty tone to them. It would be a massive undertaking but incredible nonetheless.
I don't know. To. Me, Star Wars shouldn't be gritty. It should be a fairy tale for adults more like. Of course the originals are a bit dated now, but they still capture that adventurous vibe. The prequels did too, to some extend, but the last 3, it's very obvious they werent all made by the same people. The jokes are too obvious, the cute (please buy our merchandise) animals are gratuitous and the pay offs feel unearned.

Oh I forgot I did sort of enjoy Domnal Gleeson's general Hugs.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I don't know. To. Me, Star Wars shouldn't be gritty. It should be a fairy tale for adults more like. Of course the originals are a bit dated now, but they still capture that adventurous vibe. The prequels did too, to some extend, but the last 3, it's very obvious they werent all made by the same people. The jokes are too obvious, the cute (please buy our merchandise) animals are gratuitous and the pay offs feel unearned.

Probably gritty isn't the best choice of word I guess, I think I was trying to suggest that the current 3 trilogy's all have very distinct looks to them that highlight the era they were made in and none of the trilogies actually feel coherent. I wish we could get all 9 films done with the same visual style as each other and of the visual quality of the last 3. 9 consistent films that actually feel tied together.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

That's exactly what it is and should have always been. There's princes and princesses, queens and kings, magic, tragedy and happy ever afters. 4,5,6 were fairytales.

The problem is the fans grew up (well in age at least!) and then Lucas tried to pander to them and make it more adult rather than using the amazing world he created to tell more fairy tales. Ironically the franchise is in the hands of the supposed fairy tale lords of our time, and here we are with tripe that forgets that message!

The main reason IMO the Mandolorian works with most everyone is again it's a fairy tale, just more like a wild west one. We have a unlikely hero on an epic quest, meeting would-be companions on the way, helping the villagers in their problems. For all the hype and indeed joy of the jedi finally being included and with it the fan service ramped up once again, it's interesting to see if we go back down that same old path of forgetting the original stories. That last episode strikes me of being exactly like the new trilogy, bitter-sweet in that for a few brief moments of familiar faces then unfocused scrambling to find something to write about.

@Mockney tell me if I'm wrong here.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That's exactly what it is and should have always been. There's princes and princesses, queens and kings, magic, tragedy and happy ever afters. 4,5,6 were fairytales.

The problem is the fans grew up (well in age at least!) and then Lucas tried to pander to them and make it more adult rather than using the amazing world he created to tell more fairy tales. Ironically the franchise is in the hands of the supposed fairy tale lords of our time, and here we are with tripe that forgets that message!

The main reason IMO the Mandolorian works with most everyone is again it's a fairy tale, just more like a wild west one. We have a unlikely hero on an epic quest, meeting would-be companions on the way, helping the villagers in their problems. For all the hype and indeed joy of the jedi finally being included and with it the fan service ramped up once again, it's interesting to see if we go back down that same old path of forgetting the original stories. That last episode strikes me of being exactly like the new trilogy, bitter-sweet in that for a few brief moments of familiar faces then unfocused scrambling to find something to write about.

@Mockney tell me if I'm wrong here.
You’re good...Apart from the whole “adults” bit...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Never thought Id say it, but Im kind of enjoying the phantom menace after watching Rise of Skywalker yesterday.

Spoony

The People's President
SW has always been a kids' film. As for Mandalorian, it works because it's aesthetically beautiful, the Lone Wolf and Cub in space theme and the relationship between Mando and Grogu keeps viewers hooked. I also loved the nod to Kurosawa and The Man with No Name. I think episode 5? S2 is probably as good as it gets...I can't think of many TV programmes looking that good. Perhaps it works because it doesn't really feel like Star Wars.

OleBoiii

Never thought Id say it, but Im kind of enjoying the phantom menace after watching Rise of Skywalker yesterday.
There are some good elements in that movie, as far as the Star Wars Universe go:

1. Liam Neeson is great as Qui Gon. I don't care what people say. To me, he is what a jedi should be.
2. Darth Maul is a cool villian. Period.
3. The music is good.
4. It was the first Star Wars movie with a decent fight choreography.

The rest of the characters, story and dialogue is pretty shit, though. Also, feck Jar Jar.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I know I'm being a heretic, but I like all 9 movies. I love the universe so much I don't care if some of them were boring/not logical.

Its a show about wars in space with swords like lightsabers and magic (the force), let your imagination run wild and love what you're watching.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I know I'm being a heretic, but I like all 9 movies. I love the universe so much I don't care if some of them were boring/not logical.

Its a show about wars in space with swords like lightsabers and magic (the force), let your imagination run wild and love what you're watching.
Im with you, people also have massive rose tinted glasses on in regards to the original trilogy, those aren’t really that good either

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There are some good elements in that movie, as far as the Star Wars Universe go:

1. Liam Neeson is great as Qui Gon. I don't care what people say. To me, he is what a jedi should be.
3. The music is good.

The rest of the characters, story and dialogue is pretty shit, though. Also, feck Jar Jar.
John Williams and Ewan McGregor are the saving grace of that trilogy.

OleBoiii

Im with you, people also have massive rose tinted glasses on in regards to the original trilogy, those aren’t really that good either
It's purely because of nostalgia. There are a bunch of films that aren't actually that good when you see them again as an adult. The original Star Wars trilogy is a good example of this. I enjoy them(The Empire Strikes Back in particular), but I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't enjoy them much if I saw them for the first time now.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Sorry but that is not true at all. 4 and 5 are the two best of the entire franchise. 6 isn't as good but is still the 3rd best in the franchise, followed by Revenge of the Sith. The rest are up for debate but the four I have named are definitely the best ones.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Sorry but that is not true at all. 4 and 5 are the two best of the entire franchise. 6 isn't as good but is still the 3rd best in the franchise, followed by Revenge of the Sith. The rest are up for debate but the four I have named are definitely the best ones.
I agree they’re the best for sure, but they aren’t that great as films, an enjoyable watch but could be much better than they are.

There’s an amazing world behind Star Wars but of all the media the films probably do the least to take advantage of it

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

Love them all, and watch them again every coupe of years. (including last xmas when I binged the 9 movies as well as Rogue One and Solo). I have even come around to Episode 8 which I really disliked at 1st. Its actually not that bad at all

I am also a prequel apologist :nervous:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I agree they’re the best for sure, but they aren’t that great as films, an enjoyable watch but could be much better than they are.

There’s an amazing world behind Star Wars but of all the media the films probably do the least to take advantage of it
I think the films could do with exploring a different era, not to say the Clone Wars to end of the Empire era wasn't great, it was, but I personally would love to see an era where the Jedi and Sith were at the peak of their powers. There's so many legendary planets and events they could explore.

AaronRedDevil

I prefer the prequels then the originals. Fight me. Hate the Rey trilogy though. Ruined the whole damn thing.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

3. The music is good.

I detest Anakin a million times more than Jar Jar honestly.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I prefer the prequels then the originals. Fight me. Hate the Rey trilogy though. Ruined the whole damn thing.
The prequels are terrible. The sequels are okay. Force awakens was a solid start but obviously played super safe. TLJ had some great elements, also some terrible ones such as the gambling planet, but they retconned most of it in TRoS which was the worst film of the trilogy by far.

Of all the new Star Wars material, the best by far was Rogue One, which I just thought was fantastic.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Of all the new Star Wars material, the best by far was Rogue One, which I just thought was fantastic.
Agreed. By far the best film of recent times and for me it's right up there with the originals.

"We have been redirected to Scarif, may the force be with you!"

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yep. The first has a shonky charm but it's all over the place as an actual film. The second is better made. The third is half good half shite.

I can only imagine the sort of reaction final-film revelations like "actually, it turns out they're brother and sister!" would get from modern, hyper-critical audiences. "They spent all that time building up the Emperor and then just kill him without giving us any backstory?!" Etc, etc.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Agreed. By far the best film of recent times and for me it's right up there with the originals.

"We have been redirected to Scarif, may the force be with you!"
It actually benefitted from not being Jedi focused and had so much more feeling than any of the others. Loved it. The Vader scene is obviously epic.

My cinematic wet dream is an R rated Vader film with Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Sicario, Arrival, upcoming Dune) as director.

Pscholes18

SW has always been a kids' film. As for Mandalorian, it works because it's aesthetically beautiful, the Lone Wolf and Cub in space theme and the relationship between Mando and Grogu keeps viewers hooked. I also loved the nod to Kurosawa and The Man with No Name. I think episode 5? S2 is probably as good as it gets...I can't think of many TV programmes looking that good. Perhaps it works because it doesn't really feel like Star Wars.
I don't think it works as well as it could. If it were darker, which it will never be, it would be a lot better.

Tarrou

I'm stuck in hotel quarantine and considering watching all the star wars movies/shows in order

do I need to include Clone Wars for this?

NM

I'm stuck in hotel quarantine and considering watching all the star wars movies/shows in order

Yes the TV show is quite good. Better than the first two episode films

Tarrou

Yes the TV show is quite good. Better than the first two episode films
cheers

that should keep me occupied!

I've just finished attack of the clones it was a right slog

the Anakin Padme love story might be one of the worst things to ever happen on screen

NM

cheers

that should keep me occupied!

I've just finished attack of the clones it was a right slog

the Anakin Padme love story might be one of the worst things to ever happen on screen
Pretty much this. Terrible film, terrible actor, terrible story. Clone wars is fun.

@backofthenet not seen Rebels but its on my list

Revan

Assumptionman

Just check one of those lists online about the episodes that can be skipped in the Clone Wars TV show. There are many filler episodes that are better skipped.

The show is great.