State of old goalkeepers.

Member 113277

This thread reminds me of a story from the world cricket many moons ago.

Don Bradman (the greatest batsman of all time, batting average of 99.4) was being interviewed by the media about how he would have fared in the modern game.

"I think I would be lucky to average 50" - "really, said the commentator - is that because of the modern preparation of the bowlers?"

"No, mate, I am 77".

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Who's the oldest footballer that you think would be world class even if he played today?

Maradona?
I don’t know who the oldest player who would be world class is. Based on what I’ve seen, I think Di Stefano, and I’ve only seen him in black and white.

I am sceptical about how many forwards who are listed above say Thierry Henry, for one example, would genuinely have been better than Thierry Henry same time same place.

meamth

That is no surprise, footballers now is at physical peak compared to those days.

Goalkeepers, like the outfield players are significantly faster and more agile in the modern days.

Tel074

Went over your head did it?

I was saying you must be very new or not on here very often if you think this is anywhere close to the worst thread ever.
It didn't . I was aware what you were trying to say but any thread pointing out Schmeichel was lobbed the odd time in his career under the title " state of old goalkeepers" should be considered a awful thread .

Skills

Snitch
Who's the oldest footballer that you think would be world class even if he played today?

Maradona?
Mid 80s is when it becomes a bit murkier I think.

I think what a lot of people also underestimate is how much deeper the talent pool is today in football and that's across all levels. Clubs are casting their nets wider - they're not limited by just scouting players from their own cities/countries, but players are being scouted across all of Europe and the world. From the age of about 7 years they're constantly being filtered down.

So it's not just the case that if you give players from the past modern training, that they would still be great. A lot of them might have found themselves being the ones who got filtered out in a deeper and wider talent pool (because even today there's only X number players that can make a career in top level football) . And this is probably going to hold true in another 30 years time because the talent pool is just getting deeper - especially now that finding/developing the best player in the world is worth 100s of millions in transfer fees.

Last edited:

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Watching Sky Sports football goals of the season from 96/97 on YouTube and few things crossed my mind;

- The amount of goals scored against United that featured.

- The amount of times big Pete got chipped.

- The amount of lobs or chips in general.

- And the utter state of the goalkeeping. I swear half the shots taken and scored would be, no joke, caught by modern day keepers.

Not only in the league but watched a replay of the 1996 FA Cup match between the Chavs and us (boredom) and likewise Schmeichel was chipped again. Also noticed how deadly Cole looked and how we were able to blow teams away with ease.

Bored out of my mind but the one thing holding back old teams in my opinion in the "older versus newer teams/era debates" is the appalling goalkeeping.

Thoughts?
Thoughts?.

always_hoping

I think I'd be praising the goal scorer of chipped goals than be critical of a goalkeeper.

I have been following the game since the mid 80s and the amount of errors keepers have made that led directly to goals in the last 2 years is the most i ever recall and strangely Liverpool seem to benefit the most from those errors.

Mickson

From what I remember - and what I've seen in pretty much every old game I've watched now - Schmeichel was kind of overrated. Always had a mistake in him. Quite floppy and rash. Obviously, I'm not denying he was great then...but IMO he wasn't a better keeper than De Gea or even VDS.

Nanook

I can’t remember who said it but somebody said they thought Kasper was a better keeper than Peter. I don’t think it’s as ridiculous as it sounds to be honest.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I wonder if folk in 30 years time will look back at football in the late 2010s, watch the highlights of the 2018 World Cup Final and the 2018 Champions League Final, and based upon the comedy of errors from Karius, Lloris and Subasic, decide that keepers in our day were a bit shit.

montpelier

Maradona?
I think Pele, Best Greaves, Cruyff and Law would do OK. I'm going to suggest Bobby Charlton's shooting looks fairly useful for its time too. Perhaps he'd struggle with a nicer ball on better surfaces though, I don't know.

fps

None of those players he's walking past would get into a League 2 side in modern football.

It's not intended as a criticism of Best, being the 'best' in an era still makes you outstandingly talented. It's an observation about how sport evolves over time.

The curve was obviously much steeper from the 70s to 2020 because there was so much to improve during that time. Diet, fitness, strength and conditioning, tactics, coaching etc....

It will get flatter now as sports science and nutrition has come so far and coaching in the top divisions is led by elite teams of professionals armed with millions of Data points
Sorry, but you'll give the modern players the benefit of that extra training and nutrition they've had, but not try to adjust for Best having the same? If a player is 20% above everyone else in one particular era from the past, even adjusting for the widening talent pool if they were around today with those same advantages they'd be one of the very very best.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wonder if folk in 30 years time will look back at football in the late 2010s, watch the highlights of the 2018 World Cup Final and the 2018 Champions League Final, and based upon the comedy of errors from Karius, Lloris and Subasic, decide that keepers in our day were a bit shit.
:lol: I too ponder this.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yes, that’s a pretty good summary of Banks. Oh and that save ! I’ve said it before on here but that save concluded the best passage of football the game has ever seen. The sublime slide rule ball down the line, the by line cross on the run at full speed, Pele‘s header was text book, he couldn’t have done any better. And the save ! Never tire of watching it !
Doesn't get the credit it deserves - outside-of-the-boot backspin from Carlos Alberto inch-perfect around Cooper into Jairzinho's path. Exquisite.

jeff_goldblum

With chips in general, it was a lot more difficult to chip a moving ball back then, because of the balls themselves, the pitches, and the general technical standard of the English game was lower. Keepers didn't need to worry about it so much which is why you'll see a lot of them getting caught out.