State of the refs in this country

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No I'm saying that the ref saw that there was some holding but not enough for a foul so the VAR cannot overturn the decision. I know it's stupid, but that's the way the PL uses VAR.

If the red would have said there was not holding/pulling the VAR could have overturned the decision.
But to me you’ve got the technology use it. The same day Salah has his shirt pulled by Luiz and the ref gives a pen. Why shouldn’t VAR overrule such a shocking decision by the ref in our game. That’s what it’s for. Not for refs to still get things wrong and people in a room to say ok then.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
But to me you’ve got the technology use it. The same day Salah has his shirt pulled by Luiz and the ref gives a pen. Why shouldn’t VAR overrule such a shocking decision by the ref in our game. That’s what it’s for. Not for refs to still get things wrong and people in a room to say ok then.
If they started to implement it to assure consistent decisions across all games, instead of prioritising the individual refs subjective view, they would effectively be training refs to be more consistent. Just use VAR consistently to intervene, with real authority, and the refs would naturally learn just from knowing which decisions gets overturned and attune themselves over time.

The system in place right now is serving no purpose other than to protect referees, and it currently enables refs to keep making mistakes. They are just celebrating independence from VAR before it has implemented.

BigGiantHead

If they started to implement it to assure consistent decisions across all games, instead of prioritising the individual refs subjective view, they would effectively be training refs to be more consistent. Just use VAR consistently to intervene, with real authority, and the refs would naturally learn just from knowing which decisions gets overturned and attune themselves over time.

The system in place right now is serving no purpose other than to protect referees, and it currently enables refs to keep making mistakes. They are just celebrating independence from VAR before it has implemented.
But it doesn't work that way. There will always be debate about rulings. There will always be those "orange" cards or dive vs foul debates. For example the one in the Lascelles vs Kance call. Was that call right or "protecting" referees?

I think the the problem now is that they are not giving enough information on the VAR calls. I support the idea about the referee having more power over VAR (as there is in the current interpretation of the use), but then they should'nt be reviewing uncalled penalties. They need more communication between refs and the VAR assistants so they won't be checking calls made by refs (when they rule that there was no foul) versus situations where the ref didn't see what happened. For me to VAR to work they should either reduce the situations when the VAR is used (keep the control of the game to the refs) or give VAR more power (diminish the power of refs). I'm in favor of keeping the power to make subjective calls to refs and reduce the power of VAR.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
I really don't want to believe that The VAR refs are trying to look out for the ref on the pitch but some of these decisions have been shocking. I know the refs never have an interview after the game to explain their decisions which is acceptable because the game moves so fast for them and they only get one chance to see something, but the VAR refs on the other hand have no excuse. They should have to explain their decisions after the game because I would love to hear what they come up with for some of these.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Exactly how it should work. Not sure why anyone would see otherwise. Use technology to improve refereeing

arnie_ni

Grealish got pulled back, ball went through to a Villa player who scored and it got called a dive by Grealish. VAR just agreed with the ref I’m assuming.
Because the ref blew the whistle for a "dive" the goal didnt stand.

Grelish tried staying on his feet after some contact and slide a ball through to his team mate as he was going down. It was fk to villa if anything.

Ref blew the whistle for a dive just as his team mate took his shot. Play was dead right there so nothing could be done.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't get why the Tielemans challenge was ruled out as a red card by the VAR ref. Even if there's no intent, it's a clear red.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
And now I'm seeing Haller hacked down inside the box. Clear pen. Everyone can see that. Nothing given.

Clubs should be pressing charges against the FA. It's that bad.

POF

Because the ref blew the whistle for a "dive" the goal didnt stand.

Grelish tried staying on his feet after some contact and slide a ball through to his team mate as he was going down. It was fk to villa if anything.

Ref blew the whistle for a dive just as his team mate took his shot. Play was dead right there so nothing could be done.
Worse than that, he was actually fouled in the area. That was an absolutely shocking decision.

He got it wrong that it was a dive as he didn't even appeal, he got it wrong to disallow the goal and he got it wrong having blown the whistle not to give a penalty.

Then you have someone looking at this on a monitor and judging "yes, I agree; great decision Kevin". Everyone can see it was an absolute howler but they won't overturn it.

It's a nonsense. Either implement or don't. So far, VAR is used to disallow goals for innocuous ball to hand incidents and borderline offside calls that the technology is clearly not accurate enough to make a call on. They would have been far better off not implementing it at all. Clubs will actually feel less hard done by if they feel it's a genuine mistake than a deliberate choice not to make the right decision so nobody hurts the ref's feelings.

mav_9me

100% agree with above. It is hilarious to me how VAR has confirmed how awful the referees are, ironically not by correcting their mistakes but instead by standing by their mistakes.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
Technology in hands of a moron is just another another piece of plastic / metal.

In my opinion, the refs with VAR right now have even more power to make stupid decisions.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
But it doesn't work that way. There will always be debate about rulings. There will always be those "orange" cards or dive vs foul debates. For example the one in the Lascelles vs Kance call. Was that call right or "protecting" referees?

I think the the problem now is that they are not giving enough information on the VAR calls. I support the idea about the referee having more power over VAR (as there is in the current interpretation of the use), but then they should'nt be reviewing uncalled penalties. They need more communication between refs and the VAR assistants so they won't be checking calls made by refs (when they rule that there was no foul) versus situations where the ref didn't see what happened. For me to VAR to work they should either reduce the situations when the VAR is used (keep the control of the game to the refs) or give VAR more power (diminish the power of refs). I'm in favor of keeping the power to make subjective calls to refs and reduce the power of VAR.
It doesn't work that way, but it should. There will be debates about rulings, but if you analyse with a purpose you are able to collect information that can be used to create consistency. If a situation in it self can be recognised as a "orange card", then that means you should be able to have a standard reaction to all those types of fouls.

Regarding dive vs fouls. They have a screen and slow-mo. They just need to make a stand. There is a few difficult situations that regularly happens and still there is an open field of interpretation. Decide where the threshold should be, and react similarly to all decisions through the use of VAR. It is possible with a lot of good work, but certainly more than possible.

arnie_ni

Technology in hands of a moron is just another another piece of plastic / metal.

In my opinion, the refs with VAR right now have even more power to make stupid decisions.
The guy making the decisions behind the screen clearly doesnt have a clue.

Grealish's was so obvious, but even greenwoods was a stone wall pen

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Although the Grealish decision was awful, was VAR able to do anything? If the ref had blown his whistle before the goal then play had stopped so there's no way VAR could allow the goal to stand. I'm all for slating VAR this season in the league but the incident yesterday seemed purely down to shocking refereeing on the pitch.

The guy making the decisions behind the screen clearly doesnt have a clue.

Grealish's was so obvious, but even greenwoods was a stone wall pen
It definitely was not stone wall. Greenwood barely even bothered to appeal or react when no penalty was given.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
they can't even admit when they made a mistake... reminds me of teachers in the 1960s

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It definitely was not stone wall. Greenwood barely even bothered to appeal or react when no penalty was given.
Stone wall or not, that's semantics because it is really not up for debate. It is a penalty every day of the week. Any conversation about it gets subjective and biased immediately due to the inconsistent nature of the current referees in the league. If you objectively wanted a decision on that situation in a random game, what would you want?

The defender was late to the challenge, very unlucky because he actually tried to clear the ball. His intention was not to make a penalty, and that is something that we sense and deem it soft, or unlucky. If you're biased on top of that then in your mind it suddenly isn't a penalty anymore. If they are going to be consistent, you can now not concede a penalty as long as it feels accidental. Missing the ball and taking out the attacker is irrelevant. Is that what we want?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If Friend isn't demoted after that Villa decision then the standards of officiating that the PL find acceptable truly is dog shit

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Although the Grealish decision was awful, was VAR able to do anything? If the ref had blown his whistle before the goal then play had stopped so there's no way VAR could allow the goal to stand. I'm all for slating VAR this season in the league but the incident yesterday seemed purely down to shocking refereeing on the pitch.
Couldn't he have given a penalty to Villa based on the Cahill challenge?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Diving isn't being given yellow cards for English media darlings but for the likes of Dan James, it is yellow cards. How can referees be respected when they are inconsistent like that ?

Treble

Diving isn't being given yellow cards for English media darlings but for the likes of Dan James, it is yellow cards. How can referees be respected when they are inconsistent like that ?
Indeed. They are pathetic.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I hate refs who stop everything to have a word with players... jesus they're not kindergarden children, just book them or not he keep the match going.

Listar

Actually thought the ref had a good game today and don't blame him for missing that one, it didn't look a foul 1st time on tv.

But it certainly looked a penalty on the replay I saw.
Isn’t that why we have VAR? so that even though it doesn’t look like a pen first time but replays shows it is then it gets awarded by VAR?

I’m with the masses here being disgusted how the FA referees are bringing VAR into disrepute. Feels like they doing all they can to jeopardise using VAR by forcefully showing its incompetence.

Listar

In keeping with the title of the thread, VAR has not overturn a referee decision and award a penalty so far. This shows how great our referees is. Who needs VAR when they are doing such a great job at deciding what is and isn't a penalty. :mad::mad::mad:

adnando

In the Norwegian league the refs are available for interviews after the match where they explain how they interpreted the key situations in the match.
They explain why they didn't / did make the call and admit when they did something wrong (often).

This have made for some good explanation for some horrible calls and give the refs a lot of goodwill, as they explain why they did what they did is wrong etc.
It does really only bring positive reactions, baffling that this is not done everywhere.

Reactions: Invictus

Red Stone

Is my mind playing tricks on me or do these useless bastards get worse with each passing season?

OverratedOpinion

I know we should have had a penalty but the fact a professional linesman thought their goal was offside is amazing.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Tyler just said it's 1-1 on decisions after the corner we got and the goal kick Arsenal got.

Xhaka should be on a yellow and there was a blatant penalty.

El Zoido

Lost count of the amount of games where there’s been an atrocious refereeing performance. We’ve been screwed badly this season but the bad decisions are going both ways.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not normally one to complain about the officiating but they have been legitimately atrocious today.

Not just from the perspective of a biased United fan either. The fact that the linesman initially though there was an offside for their goal is hilarious.

SER19

Worst officiated game in years. Even that should be advantage

kiristao

How did the ref not give the Rashford penalty is unbelievable. It was the most obvious penalty. Thank God for VAR but it shouldn't have needed VAR to intervine.

OldSchoolManc

How did the ref not give the Rashford penalty is unbelievable. It was the most obvious penalty. Thank God for VAR but it shouldn't have needed VAR to intervine.
Fantastic that we scored, but I have a major problem with the penalty not given initially!
THEN you see if it’s a mistake!
Too many times, VAR has said, unconvincingly, that it wasn’t an obvious mistake.

Fitchett

Exactly, not to mention the length of time it took Michael Oliver, the VAR, to actually give it.