State of the refs in this country

Zen86

How did the ref not give the Rashford penalty is unbelievable. It was the most obvious penalty. Thank God for VAR but it shouldn't have needed VAR to intervine.
The fact they have VAR to rely on means they really don’t have to, rightly or wrongly.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The fact they have VAR to rely on means they really don’t have to, rightly or wrongly.
Tight offside calls aside VAR is a last resort, not something to rely on. There is no clearer proof of being a subpar ref than having a significantly increased rate of VAR intervention.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Doesn't really work that way as they have to tell VAR what their decision is first. They can't just leave it up to VAR as VAR base their call off what the ref thinks happened.

OldSchoolManc

Even though we are winning, this is one of the worst, most biased performances I’ve seen from a ref

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
You think that was a penalty? He was sliding down. Your hand is of course going to go down to stop the fall. the only way he could have fallen down without putting his hand out was if He was a bowling pin
In the VAR thread there's a video posted of a Ref seminar which would suggest that this should've been a penalty. The ref lecturer says that the act of sliding is deliberate and the referee must assume that the defender is taking a calculated risk by taking this last ditch action. In such circumstances, he says, any instance of the ball hitting his hand must be considered as gaining an unfair advantage. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Edit: Here it is (From about 07.30) -

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The ref wasn't reffing the game, he was reffing a narrative. If he was to call all the City fouls and book the City players correctly, it would've been an incredibly boring second half with us cruising to a victory.

He reffed the game to keep excitement at a maximum by letting City get away with murder. The bald fecking cnut.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
VAR now seems to be an excuse to let refs off with not bothering to make calls.

The Rashford one was pretty darn clear one first watch, and he was so close to it!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In the VAR thread there's a video posted of a Ref seminar which would suggest that this should've been a penalty. The ref lecturer says that the act of sliding is deliberate and the referee must assume that the defender is taking a calculated risk by taking this last ditch action. In such circumstances, he says, any instance of the ball hitting his hand must be considered as gaining an unfair advantage. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Edit: Here it is (From about 07.30) -

It's not a handball if it hits the hand between the body and the ground, provided it isn't extended to make the body bigger. I'm not sure if that is a new rule, but it is the rule. I believe that's the relevant point here.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The ref wasn't reffing the game, he was reffing a narrative. If he was to call all the City fouls and book the City players correctly, it would've been an incredibly boring second half with us cruising to a victory.

He reffed the game to keep excitement at a maximum by letting City get away with murder. The bald fecking cnut.
I don't agree. He should have booked Walker for the tackle on Lingard but other than that I thought he did a good job with letting the game flow and not calling fouls on dives.

mu4c_20le

Taylor will definitely have some explaining to do in his report tonight. Got slaughtered by the commentators as well.

izec

VAR now seems to be an excuse to let refs off with not bothering to make calls.

The Rashford one was pretty darn clear one first watch, and he was so close to it!
It was clear a pen as you will ever see, i was screaming for a minute for a pen. Nowhere near the ball and a clear foul, the cnut is blind.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The real stand out mistake this weekend was in Sheffield United's game.

The referee Simon Hooper fecked up by blowing for offside before the ball had crossed the line for a Sheffield United goal, which meant the goal couldn't have counted either way. Luckily for him Lundstram was offside because had he been onside a legitimate goal would have been disallowed due to the ref's mistake.

Even worse, this was the second time Hooper made this exact same mistake in the last three weeks, having already cost Wolves a genuine goal a couple of weeks ago.

Moral of the story: Simon Hooper is a shite referee.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
It was clear a pen as you will ever see, i was screaming for a minute for a pen. Nowhere near the ball and a clear foul, the cnut is blind.
If you've ever reffed a game (which I guess you haven't from your post), things that look really obvious from one angle, don't look clear from another one.
Changing a position by even just one yard gives you a completely different perspective on things and like players, referees make mistakes. Usually though, the players don't get abuse for the mistakes they make.
I said penalty as soon as it happened but just because I saw something from the TV angle, doesn't mean the referee had a clear view of it from his. VAR has been brought in to help eradicate these human errors and whilst it has its problems, it's getting the right result the majority of the time

izec

If you've ever reffed a game (which I guess you haven't from your post), things that look really obvious from one angle, don't look clear from another one.
Changing a position by even just one yard gives you a completely different perspective on things and like players, referees make mistakes. Usually though, the players don't get abuse for the mistakes they make.
I said penalty as soon as it happened but just because I saw something from the TV angle, doesn't mean the referee had a clear view of it from his. VAR has been brought in to help eradicate these human errors and whilst it has its problems, it's getting the right result the majority of the time
you dont know if he had the right angle or not, refs feck up situations even when they look straight at it. And it is also his job to have the perfect position on the pitch. Not to forget his useless assistants.

Without VAR, we would be fecked. Cant wait for autonomous roboter referees taking over these useless cnuts (or whatever else they come up with modern technology)

Suedesi

The stunning thing from Sat was the missed penalty initially and how Kyle Walker stayed on the pitch.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
you dont know if he had the right angle or not, refs feck up situations even when they look straight at it. And it is also his job to have the perfect position on the pitch. Not to forget his useless assistants.

Without VAR, we would be fecked. Cant wait for autonomous roboter referees taking over these useless cnuts (or whatever else they come up with modern technology)
Bloody hell, why don't you tell us how you really feel!
Isn't it also a strikers job to score every chance or a goalkeepers job to stop everything or a managers job to win every match? No, because that's unrealistic and stupid. It's a referee's job to be an impartial part of the game who enforces the laws of the game within his own interpretation. Mistakes are made as referees are human (I know it's a shocking claim but trust me, they are) but the mistakes are honest ones and it happens in the same way that a player fecks up.
You say about the right position but I guarantee you, if you placed 22 players and a ball on a pitch and asked 100 refs where they would be positioned at that moment, you would get 100 different answers. I know this because I've been part of that 100.

Last edited:

Flying high

Against spurs recently, De Gea gets booked early on for time wasting. I thought at the time it was a fantastic piece of refereeing and was looking forward to that being applied consistently in the future. Ha!

Foster took as long as he could get away with for every single dead ball yesterday. The ref told him to hurry up on at least 3 occasions which I saw. No booking though. I genuinely thought, as a result of the constant time wasting, we'd be getting 6 minutes of added time, given the subs and goals included. 8 minutes if he really wanted to punish Watford for ruining the match. Nope. 3 Phucking minutes! That has to go beyond incompetence, right? There's a team of at least 4 officials at the match, plus those watching the screens. How can something like that happen? What if we'd scored one of our chances and it had really mattered? Would he then have added the lost time? If it takes yet another official on 50k a year to look at a stopwatch, then it will be money worth spent. Though I'm beginning suspect the desire for flexibility is more attractive to the FA than accuracy as further evidenced by the mis-use of VAR.

Stadjer

The ref didnt give the penalty during Spurs - Chelsea after that Spurs goalkeeper missed the ball and just kicked over Alonso...

Good thing var saved him.

Josep Dowling

The ref didnt give the penalty during Spurs - Chelsea after that Spurs goalkeeper missed the ball and just kicked over Alonso...

Good thing var saved him.
That one was just ridiculous. Can’t remember the referee’s name but he’s had quite a few decisions overturned by VAR. Fairly sure he didn’t give the Rashford penalty against City, then VAR overruled

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The ref in our game yesterday (Mason?) was just grossly incompetent. No massive mistakes that I can remember but loads of little things, bad advantages not played, small decisions not given... Type of ref performance that actually annoys me cos you can tell he's just completely lost.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Willock should have made it 2-0, Leno has been flawless all season but when you get this sort of bullshit...it's just a hope killer.
He booked Torreira and AMN for the same thing Jorginho did 3 min before. There should be a formal complaint just so the cnut spends a few weeks in the Championship.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Willock should have made it 2-0, Leno has been flawless all season but when you get this sort of bullshit...it's just a hope killer.
He booked Torreira and AMN for the same thing Jorginho did 3 min before. There should be a formal complaint just so the cnut spends a few weeks in the Championship.
I mean this ignores the pullback Guendouzi did on Abraham in the box on ~35 minutes or so - he should have been off for his second yellow and Chelsea should have had a penalty.

That said, Pawson is legitimately the worst ref in the prem. It is shocking that he is deemed to be adequate by the powers that be.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I mean this ignores the pullback Guendouzi did on Abraham in the box on ~35 minutes or so - he should have been off for his second yellow and Chelsea should have had a penalty.

That said, Pawson is legitimately the worst ref in the prem. It is shocking that he is deemed to be adequate by the powers that be.
It doesn't ignore it, it just adds even more reasons to send this guy stacking shelves. If he did give a red to Guendouzi and a penalty to Chelsea we might still be with a defeat and 0 points but at least we'd know we're the ones who made a mess of it. It's not even a missed incident, you can't call out VAR, it is litterally one bloke doing what he wants.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It doesn't ignore it, it just adds even more reasons to send this guy stacking shelves. If he did give a red to Guendouzi and a penalty to Chelsea we might still be with a defeat and 0 points but at least we'd know we're the ones who made a mess of it. It's not even a missed incident, you can't call out VAR, it is litterally one bloke doing what he wants.
Fair enough and I agree. Pawson is atrocious.

Foxbatt

Referees are terrible because in actual fact the club owners do not care much about it. They are only interested in money and its only the managers who complain about it. If the clubs come out and actually say the referees are terrible then something will be done about it.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Absolutely shocking decision not to give Jorginho his second yellow (and of course he scores) and the VAR review for Wolves equalizer. Trying their best to single-handedly ruin the most competitive league in the world. Seems like they think the game should be about them instead of the players.

Really annoyed by what I just saw.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Is using your shoulder allowed or not? I recall Rashford and Martial both not being allowed to use their shoulder this season. I don't get it. Different rules each game.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Is using your shoulder allowed or not? I recall Rashford and Martial both not being allowed to use their shoulder this season. I don't get it. Different rules each game.
shoulder is and has always been allowed

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
shoulder is and has always been allowed
Even when using your arm actively to control the movement of your shoulder? I swear I've seen different rulings for this. Especially if you are positioning your arm out to be able to use your shoulder. What if the ball hits on top of your shoulder but your arm is stretched out? That would surely always be a handball?