Static, slow motion zombie passing

Tyrion

One of the best threads on the Caf. Classic.
I often remember the title of this thread during a bad performance. It's like some kind of time capsule in my brain that bad United teams constantly add to.

That said, this does show that people moaned back when we were winning titles too.

Teja

That said, this does show that people moaned back when we were winning titles too.
The last 1-2 came despite the shit passing / utter lack of midfield. I think Fergie willed them into happening more than anything else.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
ETH has changed our build up structure from last season and it is killing our ability to progress the ball. Its no longer a personnel issue. We no longer pass vertical from thr back. He has stopped using 3-2 (3 def 2 holders) to progress the ball into midfield. Today the 3-1 structure with no vertical passing ensured we could hardly ever find the one in midfield unless he flotated endlessly or run about like a headless chicken to be free in space and the 3 ahead of him were always too wide to improve it. Which is all down to coachinh instruction

Last edited:

Brightonian

Threads like this should only be allowed if when we play well (let's say, passing quickly and incisively), as many posts are deleted as are added when we play badly.

Brightonian

ETH has changed our build up structure from last season and it is killing our ability to progress the ball. Its no longer a personnel issue. We no longer pass vertical from thr back. He has stopped using 3-2 (3 def 2 holders) to progress the ball into midfield. Today the 3-1 structure with no vertical passing ensured we could hardly ever find the one in midfield unless he flotated endlessly or run about like a headless chicken to be free in space and the 3 ahead of him were always too wide to improve it. Which is all down to coachinh instruction
He's been missing 4 of his 5 fullbacks for much of the season, including the one we went and got as emergency cover. Difficult to continue to use a system which is heavily reliant on quality, intelligence and understanding of the system from the FBs.

RedDevil@84

Is it just me, or is anyone else not really a big fan of this new, ultra depressing method of football we seem to have invented since around the time of the Liverpool game at OT last season, and have worryingly carried into the pre-season with us?

Basically, all of our players stand perfectly still, except for the one who actually has the ball (and Danny Welbeck). Then the one with the ball just passes it sideways to the person next to him, who maybe moves a little bit, and then passes it sideways to the person next to him again, really slowly.

This then carries on for a bit until Scholes picks it up and spanks a diagonal pass to the person standing perfectly still on the wing, despite the fact they're marked, due to being stood completely still the whole time...then they either put an unthreatening ball into the box or just pass it back to the person inside them again.

At no point is this done at any kind of threatening pace or involving any form of off the ball movement at all.

What's the thinking behind it? Do we think it makes us look like Spain? Only, Spain constantly have three or four people moving and running off and around the ball. We just have Danny Welbeck or Kagawa, trying to create space for themselves, by themselves.
SAF should retire at the end of the season IMO.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He's been missing 4 of his 5 fullbacks for much of the season, including the one we went and got as emergency cover. Difficult to continue to use a system which is heavily reliant on quality, intelligence and understanding of the system from the FBs.
Dalot has played it through out last season. Lindelof and Amrabat a natural midfielder don't have an issues coming infield along side a holding player. Frankly I don't see ANY good reason why he abandoned it after the unfortunate Galatasaray loss. Yesterday it would have suited the starting XI completely.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Thought this would finally be the end of this by bringing in an Ajax coach. The simplest concept of passing and moving into space is lost on this lot. Van de Beek, for all his flaws, is pretty exceptional at this, and his spatial awareness is by far the best at the club I think. At least he learned a thing or two at Ajax.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
A 3-2 buildup is actually easier to implement than a 3-1 buildup so your argument doesn't make any sense. The injury crisis could be a reason to switch from 3-1 to 3-2 to distribute responsibilities among multiple weaker players than the starters, but not vice versa

Tyrion

The last 1-2 came despite the shit passing / utter lack of midfield. I think Fergie willed them into happening more than anything else.
Thats why I (sorta) defend Moyes. The team he inherited wasn't that good but Fergie won the league with them. He turned players into terminators somehow.

Baxquux

Thats why I (sorta) defend Moyes. The team he inherited wasn't that good but Fergie won the league with them. He turned players into terminators somehow.
I think Moyes -maybe, just maybe - would have done OK, if with a ceiling and for a couple of seasons, under a proper DOF, and no Woodward interference, one who would have got him a better profile for CM than Fellaini (and then brought in Kroos in may 14, which we know was provisionally agreed, before LVG took over, dithered and allowed Madrid to come in ), insisted on keeping one or two key coaching staff for transition, over-ruled Moyes' own transfer dithering and guided him towards enacting whatever variant of cut-price Klopp-style post SAF play he had in mind, complete with signings like Mane rather than Di Maria etc . Still think we would have missed out on serious silverware, but I could see him squeezing a couple of 3rd places and a cup or two before being replaced by a Poch.