Gaming Steam Deck - Handheld PC from Valve

dinostar77

Really want one.

Could finally start to work through my pile of shame mountain of games on steam.

Castia

Looks amazing

I’ve always been a PC gamer and wanted something like this for years, I’m really hoping it takes off.

I’ll be buying day 1. I’ve got hundreds of pc games and will be perfect when I want to shut the pc down and relax on the couch.

Chairman Steve

Steam Machines didnt work out for Valve but this certainly has more potential to be better as a Switch rival.

I wish Valve would hurry up with HL3 :(

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It looks fantastic but they haven't given any graphics specs or details of how it'll run games yet so I'll wait before reserving. No doubt it'll prove to be incredibly popular though.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Well it looks really nice but the budget 64gb model will be nowhere near big enough, so you're looking at £450/£550 minumum, which is fairly pricey for a handheld.

The battery life worries me and it advertising 2-8 makes it sound like it'll be edging closer to the former if you're maxing the graphics. Still, it's a nice option for PC gamers.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Looks great for people who don't play Paradox grand strategy games all the time...

mu4c_20le

Jesus, looks bigger than the Game Gear i had back in the day, and I thought that thing was bulky.

el3mel

I actually like the idea and how it looks like. Will like to know the hardware though?

hobbers

$400 one has a 64gb harddrive. You'll get about 2 games on that.

Good if you have a lot of smaller indie titles though.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Out of my budget.

Plus dont like to play mobile. There's not much interesting games for me on mobile. Most of my cup of tea needs to be played on pc or console.

But if you can afford it, why not. There's bound to be many fun and steam deck control friendly.

Bosws87

It’s definitely very appealing when I’m sat on a steam library of 200+ games already and my main platform of choice is PC already.

I won’t rush into pre order but I will watch closely from launch.

Maxii

Paad
Very tempted by something like this. Haven’t played any games in a long long time since buying a house with my fiancée and having a 1 year old. Pretty much impossible to play anything these days.

Tried a set up of steam link on my tablet connected to a ps controller but it’s very awkward and the connection is poor at times. 2 hours battery life minimum for this is throwing me off a bit though.

Castia

The pre orders are going live in 40 minutes

I believe you just pay a holding fee of £4 then make the full purchase once they’re ready for release.

Dave_MUFC

Logged on around 11:00pm last night and got an order in for the 256GB model, surprised estimated delivery is still Q2 2022.

For anyone who isn't aware and is "waiting to see more" before pulling the trigger, steam have done it quite a logical way, and you just put down a £4 refundable deposit, and then they'll give you the option to buy it or not when it comes out, so it's pretty low risk if you're half considering going for it.

I'll be buying if it can do everything everything I want it to, running most PC games, GamePass, emulation up to GC/PS2 etc. Would most likely sell my Switch as this would do the same thing except so much more.

Massive Spanner

I managed to get the 256gb one for q1 2022. It's a no brainer when you consider you just pay €4 and get it back if you don't want it then. Hopefully it is actually as good as it looks.

AaronRedDevil

Wish I could afford it. :(. Fecking getting a tattoo done that's worth more in a few weeks Time. Think I'd rather pay for this.

b82REZ

Just found out my GF preordered me a 512gb one.

It's looking like Q2 2022 for delivery though.

Massive Spanner

Great. In terms of editing files beforehand, to get real team names etc, would you know if this would be theoretically possible? I know you probably don’t know with it just being announced!
Yeah not a clue mate. I'm sure it will all trickle out eventually.

Bosws87

Great. In terms of editing files beforehand, to get real team names etc, would you know if this would be theoretically possible? I know you probably don’t know with it just being announced!
Its a full PC, anything you can do on your desktop at home you can do on this.

largelyworried

Fair enough Valve should keep trying new things, why not, but it’s hard to see a big audience for this. It’s not going to be a main device for the PC Master Race wanting high fidelity and a lot of AAA PC games won’t work well on it anyway due to the primary form factor. At best it’ll be a second device for those gamers.

But for more casual players considering a Switch, it costs a lot more and lacks the easy appeal Nintendo can offer with its enormous back catalogue of well known characters.

I’m guessing valve are just aiming for a self sustaining niche. Don’t really see this being a major market.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Fair enough Valve should keep trying new things, why not, but it’s hard to see a big audience for this. It’s not going to be a main device for the PC Master Race wanting high fidelity and a lot of AAA PC games won’t work well on it anyway due to the primary form factor. At best it’ll be a second device for those gamers.

But for more casual players considering a Switch, it costs a lot more and lacks the easy appeal Nintendo can offer with its enormous back catalogue of well known characters.

I’m guessing valve are just aiming for a self sustaining niche. Don’t really see this being a major market.
It's going to be the ultimate handheld emulator.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The question I came to ask! Although, with a smaller screen it could be hard to navigate
I've played Civ VI on my Switch and the screen size isn't really an issue. I haven't played it on PC though so I'm not used to a bigger screen for it.

gormless

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wondering if this works for me. Purely a console gamer but have a few PC games I want to play, but don't have the space to build a gaming PC. This is kind of perfect size, anyone else in the same boat as me?

Stemmy

I decided to reserve the 256GB one. Only 4 euro and being refundable but expected availability is Q3 2022.

I think the big seller for me is already having a big library of games on Steam and most of them should just work.

Adamsk7

In two minds. I definitely don’t need it but I am a sucker for new devices…