Steep rise in Londoners moving up north

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Revaulx

If moving to Newcastle improves your quality of life, it must have been really shit where you lived before.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm moving back down to London next week. Here's a extensive list on what's shit about the North:

Northerners.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I mean, people are constantly weighing up the idea of a 3 bed house house for £80,000, versus having to live in Hull. I guess the more prices rise in London, the more the scales tip.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I mean, people are constantly weighing up the idea of a 3 bed house house for £80,000, versus having to live in Hull. I guess the more prices rise in London, the more the scales tip.
Why does Hull always get a subtle barracking on here? Have I missed something culturally or is it caf-specific?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Why does Hull always get a subtle barracking on here? Have I missed something culturally or is it caf-specific?
Because it's a shit place. End of. If you don't like it then we'll just have to settle it with a fight, in Hull.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
United fans coming back closer to home.

Josep Dowling

It’s certainly not a CAF thing. Hull has always been deemed sub standard, not I’ve ever been there. I do know someone who managed to get two properties for less than £80k in Hull which suggests no one wants to live there.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Because it's a shit place. End of. If you don't like it then we'll just have to settle it with a fight, in Hull.
You’re on mate.

Come up here for a Championship game, I’ll treat you to an affordable pie and a tour of the City of Culture. Then, if you’re still not impressed, we can head over to Gypsyville and kick each other’s heads in

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Only reason I moved back to London was due to missing out of my niece's growing up. Ironically I'm still missing out.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It’s only one vowel out from it’s cultural twin
It’s certainly not a CAF thing. Hull has always been deemed sub standard, not I’ve ever been there. I do know someone who managed to get two properties for less than £80k in Hull which suggests no one wants to live there.
I always see this and think about standing up for Hull. It isn’t that bad, has good bits and shit bits like everywhere else.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I always see this and think about standing up for Hull. It isn’t that bad, has good bits and shit bits like everywhere else.
Yeah I know, I'm from Plymouth so I can't say much. I think outside of London the UK is very similar tbh.

marktan

If you don't have a lot of family or friends based in London, or grew up elsewhere and moved to London for work, it makes sense to settle down and buy a house elsewhere. The prices in London are mad, you either pay a lot for nothing, or buy something decent far our but then sell your sanity commuting.

Conor

I was in Hull for a few hours before, and it's by far the shittest kip I've ever been in.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I started my development career in Hull. I liked the place. Although I lived in one of the richest areas at the time, it still felt like a standard mid level London suburb and that brought some charm for me.

Plus the people were generally friendly. feck all night life though

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
If you don't have a lot of family or friends based in London, or grew up elsewhere and moved to London for work, it makes sense to settle down and buy a house elsewhere. The prices in London are mad, you either pay a lot for nothing, or buy something decent far our but then sell your sanity commuting.
Agreed, why I left.

jeff_goldblum

If you've spent your 20s in London, gotten settled in a profession that exists outside of London and are thinking about having kids, moving to somewhere like Newcastle is a great idea. Your average London house price will get you a detached farm/country house with a bit of land half an hour's drive out of Newcastle and Durham with room to spare.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If you've spent your 20s in London, gotten settled in a profession that exists outside of London and are thinking about having kids, moving to somewhere like Newcastle is a great idea. Your average London house price will get you at detached farm/country house with a bit of land half an hour's drive out of Newcastle and Durham with room to spare.
Are you permitted to breed?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Once I hit 60 I'll probably do the same. Just don't fancy all that frequent flooding and shit right now.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well London is a great place to be for a while. Whether it's a great place to be forever depends on your circumstances but a lot of people want a break from it after a bit.

RoyH1

With the property prices being what they are in London, it's about time that people started the move north. I hope jobs follow too.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh they'll come crawling back!

No, as long as you're happy with a bit less diversity and slightly shitter weather, the North is actually lovely. I'm a big fan of Manchester especially (and even Liverpool....). If you can get an equivalently paid job and you don't have anything tying you down in London, seems a great choice

Too settled in London now though unforunately.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I'm moving back down to London next week. Here's a extensive list on what's shit about the North:

Northerners.
:lol:

I think they should introduce a points system for migrants wanting to move up North:
  1. Born north of Coventry -> 100 points
  2. Born south of Coventry -> 0 points

Skills

Snitch
Why do people always talk about the North, South or West (Wales)? What's in the east? Seems like a complete wasteland.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Why do people always talk about the North, South or West (Wales)? What's in the east? Seems like a complete wasteland.
Inbreeding
Lots of quality responses in this thread that have made me chuckle. Having lived in Sheffield for 3 years I can safely say I’ll never live there again. The people are perfectly lovely, and some of the cities are quite nice, but the weather is just awful. The winter months especially are just gruesome, with virtually no sunshine for months on end, and darkness at 3:30pm. Brutal stuff, and depressing. It’s also true that the food is biblically crap.

As for the East, and the reason I quoted these posts, there are some lovely towns east of London. There’s also some massive shite. I grew up in a University town east of London, and in fact lived in a little riverside village of under 10,000 which had a station on the mainline to London. It was only 55mins to Liverpool Street, which made London very accessible. I never made the daily commute, as many in the village did, but I could definitely see the appeal. It’s somewhere I’d go back to retire, because it has all the perks of small village living, but a major university nearby that brings a ton of multiculturalism.

TL;DR: The North Is shit.