Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle

Doracle

Worth noting here that the Newcastle fans’ messiah, Benitez, managed exactly the same points total as Brucey in his two premier league seasons, scoring less goals. He also didn’t have the injury/illness issues and the “fans” abusing him any chance they got.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ah right. Win percentage is far more important than actual league position - it’s totally the stat that counts. You have one of the worst squads in the league and you finished mid-table. Twice. And all you did was abuse him from day one. Maybe if that great support you lot like to bang on about every 15 fecking seconds actually tried - you know - supporting then the toxic atmosphere that existed around your entire club where players leak to major newspapers every other day wouldn’t exist and you could have even achieved even more.
Okay, here’s a league position, they’re in 19th with no wins this season. They have 7 wins in 38. Is that good enough for you to still be in a job?

Carolina Red

Staff
As someone else said above, he won't be the only Newcastle manager to be sacked this season.

The lady fronting this organisation looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
Who's the bolded-part lady? Name? Pics?

Regarding the "multiple-sacks recorded" thing, it's not impossible, but they'd look quite stupid/silly doing so. I wonder if concerns about being compared to PSG and City would affect any such decision-making.
Staveley is the woman that got the royals of Abu Dhabi and Qatar to invest in Barclays and she helped Monsour get control of Manchester City.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Worth noting here that the Newcastle fans’ messiah, Benitez, managed exactly the same points total as Brucey in his two premier league seasons, scoring less goals. He also didn’t have the injury/illness issues and the “fans” abusing him any chance they got.
It's not too weird when you start comparing almost any pre/post match interview of the two during their time here. Bruce spent all of his time talking up opponents, saying how hard everything was. Rafa talked about improving and wanting to get better. Understanding the appeal of one over the other, and especially the effect of it dragged on over years, is straightforward.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Okay, here’s a league position, they’re in 19th with no wins this season. They have 7 wins in 38. Is that good enough for you to still be in a job?
I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't have been sacked, it was the abuse he has been receiving for the last 2 years people have an issue with

hungrywing

Staveley is the woman that got the royals of Abu Dhabi and Qatar to invest in Barclays and she helped Monsour get control of Manchester City.
Yes, thank you; when I looked her up after @InfiniteBoredom provided her name I noticed that all the links that came up were purple and I realized it was the same woman from last year's failed attempt and the City thing.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes, thank you; when I looked her up after @InfiniteBoredom provided her name I noticed that all the links that came up were purple and I realized it was the same woman from last year's failed attempt and the City thing.
Yep, she’s the one. She also tried to get Dubai a large stake in Liverpool. Seems she is single handedly trying to make the Prem the oil league.

Oranges038

Youre going back years, he was mid table in the Championship when he walked out to join up with his mate, Richard Keys and Alan Brazil championing him at every opportunity won't be enough to get him another Prem job. Hes got his cash he should retire.
Again, you're still talking bollocks.

He's 60, of course he can retire and not bother with another job, whether he should or not is entirely up to him. He's had a great career at the top end of English football for nearly 40 years. He's managed 1000 games almost half of those being in the premier league, played almost 1000 games as a player.

He certainly didn't get jobs just because he was mates with some people.

Castia

Would be pretty funny if they'd go down. Their fans sure seem an entitled bunch.
It’s a real possibility they’ll go for a shiny new manager with no PL experience when they’re in a dog fight to stay up. The players know they’re all getting replaced and January with new players coming in to an underperforming team could make things worse.

hungrywing

Yep, she’s the one. She also tried to get Dubai a large stake in Liverpool. Seems she is single handedly trying to make the Prem the oil league.
Seems to be working awfully well.

Maybe get one of the clubs to change their name to UNICEF. Fingers crossed that by the time she realizes, it'll be too late.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I didn’t realise they only wanted him sacked at this moment? Silly me. Thanks for correcting.
They didn’t sack him though, did they? They have now, and the timing of it is fully deserved.

JustAGuest

Would be pretty funny if they'd go down. Their fans sure seem an entitled bunch.
It would be funny, but they would most likely bounce straight back up. That sort of money is going to guarantee them success.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
They didn’t sack him though, did they? They have now, and the timing of it is fully deserved.
My comments are about the abuse aimed at him from the self-proclaimed Geordie nation and the job he did prior to this season in finishing 13th and 12th with one of the worst squads around. It had nothing do with whether he should have been sacked or not at this moment in time. So I don’t get your point?

Real Name

It would be funny, but they would most likely bounce straight back up. That sort of money is going to guarantee them success.
Sure, but it would delay things. City had few years in which they shopped duds left, right and center until they got it right all the while being in the PL of course.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Graham Taylor was a turnip head
Steve Bruce a cabbage head

I’m intrigued by the use of vegetables and wondering what’s next?

Ole the spud head?

GlasgowCeltic

Again, you're still talking bollocks.

He's 60, of course he can retire and not bother with another job, whether he should or not is entirely up to him. He's had a great career at the top end of English football for nearly 40 years. He's managed 1000 games almost half of those being in the premier league, played almost 1000 games as a player.

He certainly didn't get jobs just because he was mates with some people.
Not sure what point you're arguing. My point was he wouldnt get another Prem job but Ole would, and he'd still be stuck in the Championship if not for Ashley. Not interested in what he did before that, and clearly neither were any other Prem clubs or he wouldn't have been stuck plodding along in the Championship

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
My comments are about the abuse aimed at him from the self-proclaimed Geordie nation and the job he did prior to this season in finishing 13th and 12th with one of the worst squads around. It had nothing do with whether he should have been sacked or not at this moment in time. So I don’t get your point?
That the signs were there to see from the day he entered the club that it would get to a stage where they’d be winless/in the bottom 3.
Similarly with Howe at Bournemouth, their relegation was inevitable as he couldn’t sort out their defence, but they got by on overinflated stats in other areas. When that inflation levelled out they struggled. Similar has happened with Bruce, the inflation of goals from defence as @the_box has stated has levelled out and they’re now struggling because Bruce isn’t good enough.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Taking a thread off topic
More bad news for Ole, who is now undisputedly the least tactically astute manager in the Premier League :(

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Sure, but it would delay things. City had few years in which they shopped duds left, right and center until they got it right all the while being in the PL of course.
nah there wasn't that many duds tbh, it was the 12/13 season where we really fecked up, that was a season of duds but we'd won the league and the FA Cup by then, Robinho even though a dud was more a statement of intent, Santa Cruz under Hughes was the biggest dud I'd say after the takeover, but until we actually won the FA Cup and the PL it wasn't as bad as people remember.

Chairman Steve

I feel like there’s some easy metaphor of ‘selling your identity for the money’ you can make where the geordie team are throwing away their geordie manager for most likely an exotic foreign export.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
That the signs were there to see from the day he entered the club that it would get to a stage where they’d be winless/in the bottom 3.
It would be inevitable no matter who they put in charge because of the lack of investment and squad available. Good to know the abuse is justified before a ball was even kicked in your eyes though. That’s clearly a fantastic way to support your club.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
the english didn’t like it the last time a bruce came down from the north and started sticking it up them. bruce to old trafford.

acnumber9

Similar has happened with Bruce, the inflation of goals from defence as @the_box has stated has levelled out and they’re now struggling because Bruce isn’t good enough.
Newcastle are struggling because the players aren’t good enough. And that will continue until they improve the players.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't have been sacked, it was the abuse he has been receiving for the last 2 years people have an issue with
The abuse is thing. Despicable. I expect Benitez to get the same abuse if he loses a few more.

Real Name

nah there wasn't that many duds tbh, it was the 12/13 season where we really fecked up, that was a season of duds but we'd won the league and the FA Cup by then, Robinho even though a dud was more a statement of intent, Santa Cruz under Hughes was the biggest dud I'd say after the takeover, but until we actually won the FA Cup and the PL it wasn't as bad as people remember.
Duds is somewhat harsh but just meant it took some time until you had a Silva, Toure, Kompany, Aguero base of a team. Or so I remember it like that.

diarm

To be fair to Newcastle fans - Villa fans say the exact same thing about Bruce and his time with them. It's easy for us to see Match of The Day and the league table and tell them what they should be thinking, but they watch their team every game.

No team has conceded more goals (or shots on target) than Newcastle have since he took over. That's one thing if you're a Martinez or a Wenger and the nice looking football comes at the expense of a powder puff defence, but when the football is pure muck and you're still conceding more goals than everyone else, there is something wrong.

He also has far from the worst squad in the league. Dubravka is a decent keeper, Lascelles and Lewis are good defenders. We were willing to spunk millions on the Longstaffs only a couple of years ago, Almiron and Willock are fine players, Saint-Maximin is a top class talent and Wilson a very fine finisher. Plus Joelinton cost 40mil. They don't have the players to challenge for Europe but ask Dyche, Potter, Farke, Hassenhutl or Ranieri and they would swap squads in a heartbeat.

Drifter

American
No real surprise there. Newcastle as ambitions. No room for a journeyman Manager.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Duds is somewhat harsh but just meant it took some time until you had a Silva, Toure, Kompany, Aguero base of a team. Or so I remember it like that.
yeah, our first big splurge was on prem players who were only at the club a while, likes of Bellamy, Bridge, Given, Wright Phillips etc who cost a fair penny at the time but Newcastle to get players of even that calibre are looking at £200m and putting those sorts of players into the squad they've got won't make that much difference, they're going to have to take spending to a whole new level to even challenge the top 4 within 4 to 5 years.

Nickelodeon

Got 12th and 13th with that squad in the last 2 years is no mean feat. Hope he is afforded some dignity in his exit at least.