Steve Bruce leaves Newcastle

Real Name

yeah, our first big splurge was on prem players who were only at the club a while, likes of Bellamy, Bridge, Given, Wright Phillips etc who cost a fair penny at the time but Newcastle to get players of even that calibre are looking at £200m and putting those sorts of players into the squad they've got won't make that much difference, they're going to have to take spending to a whole new level to even challenge the top 4 within 4 to 5 years.
Yeah, exactly, even getting above average or solid players will cost them a lot cause clubs will see a chance to sell for a premium and the prices will go up even though its already crazy at the moment.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
He also has far from the worst squad in the league. Dubravka is a decent keeper, Lascelles and Lewis are good defenders. We were willing to spunk millions on the Longstaffs only a couple of years ago, Almiron and Willock are fine players, Saint-Maximin is a top class talent and Wilson a very fine finisher. Plus Joelinton cost 40mil. They don't have the players to challenge for Europe but ask Dyche, Potter, Farke, Hassenhutl or Ranieri and they would swap squads in a heartbeat.
most of those are forward players or defenders, Dubravka is a decent keeper but is injured, Lewis has been pretty awful, Lascelles is ok but gets no protection from the midfield which is where they are sorely lacking and having only purchased 1 player in the summer and having to rely on Longstaff, Shelvey, Hayden and Murphy you're always going to stuggle, and of the forward players in the last season Wilson is injured as often as not and St Maxim had half a season out with Covid.

pseudo_canadian

Newcastle fans are utter cnuts. With the shit team they have, avoiding relegation is about as much as they should have expected from any Manager.

They treated Bruce like shit, despite him securing a 12th place finish - higher than Benitez did (who the Newcastle fans seem to love). The abuse he has endured went way beyond football and was disgusting, to the point Bruce said 'I'm just glad my parents aren't alive to see what they say about me'.

Bruce is a great guy, nobody in the game has a bad word to say about him. I met Steve on a number of ocassions while he was United captain and he was a gracious kind bloke who had time for everyone (as well as being a great player for us).

I hope Newcastle are cursed by the Saudi blood money.
Yeah, agreed. Ungrateful losers with no sense of perspective or humility. Bruce did a decent job for that shit squad.

Wish him all the best.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It would be inevitable no matter who they put in charge because of the lack of investment and squad available. Good to know the abuse is justified before a ball was even kicked in your eyes though. That’s clearly a fantastic way to support your club.
Newcastle are struggling because the players aren’t good enough. And that will continue until they improve the players.
I don’t think anyone advocates abuse, but you can certainly advocate not backing something you don’t believe is good enough. As I said earlier, Bruce not being backed is a bit of a myth. They’ve spent £100 million + during his time there.

People moaning about him having a shit squad when he had at least 25m each window to rectify it and didn’t?

Benitez spent 1.5m this window and Gray/Townsend have been two of our best players this season. There is still value in the market for mid table teams.

diarm

most of those are forward players or defenders, Dubravka is a decent keeper but is injured, Lewis has been pretty awful, Lascelles is ok but gets no protection from the midfield which is where they are sorely lacking and having only purchased 1 player in the summer and having to rely on Longstaff, Shelvey, Hayden and Murphy you're always going to stuggle, and of the forward players in the last season Wilson is injured as often as not and St Maxim had half a season out with Covid.
Saint-Maximin and Wilson played what? 26 games each last season? Along with Almiron and Willock that is a lot of attacking quality for 2/3 of the season for a side in the bottom half. I grant you the likes of Shelvey and Murphy aren't going to win many awards but I'm not suggesting they should be winning trophies - just that every squad down that end of the table has weaknesses and it isn't by some divine miracle that he's managed to keep them up.

He could've improved on that defence by using some of the £40mil he wasted on Joelinton. Imagine what Dyche or Potter would've done with it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Swapping Steve Bruce for Paulo Fonseca would be like swapping a Vauxhall Vectra for a Volkswagen Polo.

Bruce is a good manager, he has had a very bad start to the season, however performances have actually been better than the results suggest.

Last season he had his team playing well when everyone was back fit.

If Fonseca joins then Newcastle will be going down without doubt this season, the Guy is a poor poor manager.

MalaysianRed7

Must say that I’ve been pretty irritated by the way Newcastle fans have treated him, especially since he is a United legend. All the personal abuse towards him and his family has been completely unwarranted, and even a lot of his criticism has been unfair.

Comparing his Premier League finishing positions and points tally with Benitez, a man who Newcastle fans worship like God, there’s no clear disparity whatsoever:

Benitez

SeasonLeague positionPoints
A bit of 2015-1618th37
2017-1810th44
2018-1913th45

Bruce

2019-2013th44
2021-2212th45

It’s been argued that King Rafa managing to equal Bruce with much less resources was an amazing feat, but deep down, even Newcastle fans know this: the only difference was that they spunked £40m on Joelinton when Bruce was in charge, compared to nothing with Rafa. And we all know about Joelinton’s capabilities, or there lack of, in the Premier League.

And as I write this, Bruce has come out with an interview saying that this could be his last job. Can anyone blame him? You’d think the insults he listed that’s been against him were fake, but they’ve been recited many times by his own fans. Look at the Newcastle forum - someone genuinely responded to him saying that his parents would have been gutted looking at the abuse he’s been getting by saying “Your parents died of shame”. It’s been sickening, and no wonder if he wants to become a permanent fan from now on.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I wish I could get a job as a manager.

I mean I'd be shit but I would get a pay off that allows me to travel forever and half the nation outraged on my behalf.

acnumber9

I don’t think anyone advocates abuse, but you can certainly advocate not backing something you don’t believe is good enough. As I said earlier, Bruce not being backed is a bit of a myth. They’ve spent £100 million + during his time there.

People moaning about him having a shit squad when he had at least 25m each window to rectify it and didn’t?

Benitez spent 1.5m this window and Gray/Townsend have been two of our best players this season. There is still value in the market for mid table teams.
Well he did rectify their scoring problems when he signed Wilson. He then lost him for a good part of the season. When he played results were good.

Gray and Townsend were cheap players added to a much better existing team. Townsend wasn’t exactly propelling Crystal Palace up the table so I doubt he’d have done it for Newcastle.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Must say that I’ve been pretty irritated by the way Newcastle fans have treated him, especially since he is a United legend. All the personal abuse towards him and his family has been completely unwarranted, and even a lot of his criticism has been unfair.

Comparing his Premier League finishing positions and points tally with Benitez, a man who Newcastle fans worship like God, there’s no clear disparity whatsoever:

Benitez

A bit of 2015-1618th37
2017-1810th44
2018-1913th45

Bruce

2019-2013th44
2021-2212th45

It’s been argued that King Rafa managing to equal Bruce with much less resources was an amazing feat, but deep down, even Newcastle fans know this: the only difference was that they spunked £40m on Joelinton when Bruce was in charge, compared to nothing with Rafa. And we all know about Joelinton’s capabilities, or there lack of, in the Premier League.
How is Bruce making arguably the worst transfer (factoring in price compared to quality) ever in PL being used as an argument for him?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Saint-Maximin and Wilson played what? 26 games each last season? Along with Almiron and Willock that is a lot of attacking quality for 2/3 of the season for a side in the bottom half. I grant you the likes of Shelvey and Murphy aren't going to win many awards but I'm not suggesting they should be winning trophies - just that every squad down that end of the table has weaknesses and it isn't by some divine miracle that he's managed to keep them up.

He could've improved on that defence by using some of the £40mil he wasted on Joelinton. Imagine what Dyche or Potter would've done with it.
Tbf the joelinton deal was done before he became the manager though yeah I think he may have ok'ed it in the end

redshaw

Benitez

A bit of 2015-1618th37
2017-1810th44
2018-1913th45

Bruce

2019-2013th44
2021-2212th45

And as I write this, Bruce has come out with an interview saying that this could be his last job. Can anyone blame him? You’d think the insults he listed that’s been against him were fake, but they’ve been recited many times by his own fans. Look at the Newcastle forum - someone genuinely responded to him saying that his parents would have been gutted looking at the abuse he’s been getting by saying “Your parents died of shame”. It’s been sickening, and no wonder if he wants to become a permanent fan from now on.
It is sickening but also hope springs eternal. Rafa has won the CL, La Liga against all odds. Bruce is a lets scrape by at the bottom and avoid relegation appointment with no hope at all at his stage sadly, for him.

Cloud7

Cabbage head is hilarious. I mean it's totally fecking bang out of order but just the phrase 'cabbage head' tickles me
Yeah I'm just trying to picture an adult calling another adult a cabbage head and it's a hilarious image

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
No surprise here... Who will go to manage for the first part of the project? Main task is to grind points out. Mourinho would be ideal.

Sterling could be first player in ?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Cabbage head is hilarious. I mean it's totally fecking bang out of order but just the phrase 'cabbage head' tickles me
I'm absolutely going to start calling people "cabbage head".
Aye, it’s obviously been harsh the treatment he’s had, but it’s a funny phrase, as is him sharing that phrase. Like something from a sketch show

“They said I was useless, and a bad manager, and a tactically inept cabbage head”

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Minor nitpick - Rafa also never got ASM (£20m).

Cloud7

Staveley is the woman that got the royals of Abu Dhabi and Qatar to invest in Barclays and she helped Monsour get control of Manchester City.
Oh wow. Here I thought she was associated solely with Newcastle. I didn't realize this was her MO

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
Bruce must have known he was on a hiding to nothing trying to keep his job. Its arguable he would have got the boot by Christmas even if Newcastle were midtable or so.
Difficult to argue when they are 19th and havent won this season.

If I was Bruce id be taking my multi-million payoff, my cabbage head and ride off into the sunset.

soapythecat

Just seen a list of the top 15 candidates for the Newcastle job. Most of these managers are currently employed. Imagine my surprise when Ole isn’t even in the list. Even not considered good enough for Newcastle.
He is the luckiest manager in world football.

Fell sorry for Steven Bruce, he comes across as a good man and I don’t think many will take Newcastle much further up the table without considerable investment.

MalaysianRed7

How is Bruce making arguably the worst transfer (factoring in price compared to quality) ever in PL being used as an argument for him?
Could be wrong but I’m pretty sure Joelinton was scouted before, and the deal went through just after Bruce came in from memory, so I don’t think it was his transfer. Even if he confirmed it, that can’t be put 100% down to him.
Minor nitpick - Rafa also never got ASM (£20m).
I would never claim to know more about your club’s finances than you, but Perez was sold in that summer for more (your best player for Rafa imo). The ASM deal would likely have been financed by that.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Saudi takeover or not, he deserved the sack. Currently, they are in relegation mode and with Bruce they would have ended up 16th-17th at best.

Conte will inherit a huge mess before the January window.

Oranges038

Not sure what point you're arguing. My point was he wouldnt get another Prem job but Ole would, and he'd still be stuck in the Championship if not for Ashley. Not interested in what he did before that, and clearly neither were any other Prem clubs or he wouldn't have been stuck plodding along in the Championship
Lots of unqualified managers get jobs based on their links to the club,. Look at Arteta, look at Ac Milan's list of managers for the last 10 years, it's how Pirlo got his job at Juve. It's how Ole got the job at Utd.

He took a job at Newcastle that nobody else wanted, it's the club he has supported all his life. He was more than qualified for the job and did just as well as the waiter who was in before him. He has taken nothing but abuse from the Newcastle fans from day one.

If he doesn't retire he would be more likely to get another Prem job before Ole does.

RUCK4444

Just reading how badly he feels he and his family have been treated up there by the fans and the city as a whole, I'm fuming for him, he's a class guy, top professional and a gentleman. Nice tribute from Saint-Maximin.

Hope the scumbags get relegated.

RooneyLegend

He's been really unfortunate. The Wilson injury really did him no favours and Shelby basically hasn't played this season. They don't have the depth to compensate for any injuries either.

BigRon1985

Newcastle fans are utter cnuts. With the shit team they have, avoiding relegation is about as much as they should have expected from any Manager.

They treated Bruce like shit, despite him securing a 12th place finish - higher than Benitez did (who the Newcastle fans seem to love). The abuse he has endured went way beyond football and was disgusting, to the point Bruce said 'I'm just glad my parents aren't alive to see what they say about me'.

Bruce is a great guy, nobody in the game has a bad word to say about him. I met Steve on a number of ocassions while he was United captain and he was a gracious kind bloke who had time for everyone (as well as being a great player for us).

I hope Newcastle are cursed by the Saudi blood money.
Couldn't have put it better myself! They didn't deserve Bruce, a man of honour and integrity - even Simon Jordan likes him! Often wonder how we would have done with him instead of Ole as interim manager and possibly more? He will always be a United Legend to me. Good luck Steve - enjoy your retirement......

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Newcastle fans are imbeciles to be honest. The amount of abuse they gave Brucey was really unwarranted. Those lot actually thought they were Real Madrid with the expectations that they had.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Saudi takeover or not, he deserved the sack. Currently, they are in relegation mode and with Bruce they would have ended up 16th-17th at best.

Conte will inherit a huge mess before the January window.
Yep. He didn't deserve the levels of personal abuse he got and he's a nice guy but speaking solely on Bruce the manager the way his spell at Newcastle is getting glorified is hilarious.

He was good in the 00s at Birmingham and Wigan but like with many others the modern game has left his types of manager out of their depth at this level.

Last edited: