Steve Bruce & Newcastle Utd

Needham

Whenever anyone mentions Brucey I always remeber that story Robbo told. Robbo, Brucey and Pallister stole a fire extinguisher in the Liverpool Adelphi to tutor Lee Sharpe with. Anyway Sharpey finds out off of quim takes from the backdoor shit. Gets. Real. There's an inquest in training some saying Salford will never prantfux. Upshot is Forest at home when the Stretty had Carlos was less of an influence. Pink parts? Neville put an end bullying culture genuine genuine tits. Brucey nowt that.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Whenever anyone mentions Brucey I always remeber that story Robbo told. Robbo, Brucey and Pallister stole a fire extinguisher in the Liverpool Adelphi to tutor Lee Sharpe with. Anyway Sharpey finds out off of quim takes from the backdoor shit. Gets. Real. There's an inquest in training some saying Salford will never prantfux. Upshot is Forest at home when the Stretty had Carlos was less of an influence. Pink parts? Neville put an end bullying culture genuine genuine tits. Brucey nowt that.
Put away the gin, mate, and take a long nap.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
What? :lol:

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
It's tough when you don't have your defenders scoring half the team goals anymore. Massively rode his luck last season, wheels well and truly came off this year.

Sad but not entirely unexpected from a man who's career to date has been statistically among or at the bottom all time of prem managers. Just dreadful.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Any manager would do shit there. Rafa did okay but nobody could get them higher than midtable. Pardew got them 5th and they still hated him.

Wayne's World

Wonder would Rafa want to go back there? I'd say they will go back for him as long as he didn't leave on bad terms

Can't remember now If he did or not

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's tough when you don't have your defenders scoring half the team goals anymore. Massively rode his luck last season, wheels well and truly came off this year.

Sad but not entirely unexpected from a man who's career to date has been statistically among or at the bottom all time of prem managers. Just dreadful.
He's done some decent jobs at other clubs who have low expectations. Arguably Hull's greatest ever manager considering he got two promotions to prem with them and also took them to FA cup final and europe. He also got Birmingham up after about 20 years out of top flight and kept them up for 4 seasons. Wigan he constructed a decent team.

However put him in charge of sides who want to do stuff in top half and he fails badly. Bare in mind I watched him managing us in the championship for near enough two years and you quickly see why there's a limit to what he can do. Hardly any pressing, backs to the wall defending and really little cohesion between midfield and attack so really rely on so much individualism in final third to get goals. Been totally found out with Saint Maximn out for last two months.

Everything I'm seeing at Newcastle I saw at Villa and that was in championship with players of calibre of Grealish, McGinn, Kodjia, John Terry, Snodgrass and Tammy Abraham who he had between 17-18 to work with.

Robbie Boy

The one time Ashley actually sanctions a big money move and Bruce spunks £40m on Joelinton. Almiron has also been awful for the most part, but no way a player of his style would thrive in a Bruce system.

The only bright spark was Saint Maxim before his injury. Basically the idea was to get the ball to him and hope he could create something. Starting Carroll tonight was criminal too.

Djemba-Djemba

The one time Ashley actually sanctions a big money move and Bruce spunks £40m on Joelinton. Almiron has also been awful for the most part, but no way a player of his style would thrive in a Bruce system.

The only bright spark was Saint Maxim before his injury. Basically the idea was to get the ball to him and hope he could create something. Starting Carroll tonight was criminal too.
He deserves the sack for that alone.

Andy Carroll was a bang average donkey in his prime 10 years ago. The fact Bruce is picking him to start PL games in 2021 is shocking.

Park's Petrified Pooch

Joelinton signed a week after Bruce arrived, so I’d be very surprised if he had any input in that deal. Almiron arrived 6 months before Bruce, but a pacey forward of his ilk should be fairly handy in a counter attacking setup. Bruce isn’t great, but I’m not sure what people are expecting of that squad. It’s a collection of randomers and that’s how they’ve been for a decade.

Robbie Boy

Joelinton signed a week after Bruce arrived, so I’d be very surprised if he had any input in that deal. Almiron arrived 6 months before Bruce, but a pacey forward of his ilk should be fairly handy in a counter attacking setup. Bruce isn’t great, but I’m not sure what people are expecting of that squad. It’s a collection of randomers and that’s how they’ve been for a decade.
Never claimed Bruce had anything to do with the signing of Almiron. I'm also fairly sure Bruce would have been in contact with Ashley long before his arrival so I would be shocked if he hadn't a huge say in the Joelinton signing. So there you go.

Oranges038

His style hasn't changed for almost 20 years, he has a recipe for how he wants to play, it's not nice to watch, it's effective in the Championship and just about keeps teams in the premier league for some of the seasons.

He averages about 1.1 PPG as manager in the Premier League. Did people really expect him to have Newcastle up in the top half of the league?

He's not done a bad job at Newcastle. Joelinton was a bad signing, Maxim and Wilson have done ok for the money paid.
Other than that the others haven't cost a whole pile really. Yeah, they might play shite football and are in 15th. That's about right considering the manager and players they have. Anywhere between 10th and avoiding relegation is a good season for this lot.

Robbie Boy

His style hasn't changed for almost 20 years, he has a recipe for how he wants to play, it's not nice to watch, it's effective in the Championship and just about keeps teams in the premier league for some of the seasons.

He averages about 1.1 PPG as manager in the Premier League. Did people really expect him to have Newcastle up in the top half of the league?

He's not done a bad job at Newcastle. Joelinton was a bad signing, Maxim and Wilson have done ok for the money paid.
Other than that the others haven't cost a whole pile really. Yeah, they might play shite football and are in 15th. That's about right considering the manager and players they have. Anywhere between 10th and avoiding relegation is a good season for this lot.
You might think they should be happy with that. But looking at their forums, they think he's shite and want him gone.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Any manager would do shit there. Rafa did okay but nobody could get them higher than midtable. Pardew got them 5th and they still hated him.
5th season was a fluke in defiance of the laws of man and god and the rest of his managerial career and everyone knows it. Please stop trying to throw it back in the faces of Newcastle supporters. It's intellectually and morally dishonest and even if you're just trying to troll it's massively stupid.

He had the best side he'd ever manage with the likes of Cisse, Ben Arfa, Coloccini, Ba, Jonas, Tiote playing some of their best football. My nan could have scraped 7th with that side and she's been dead 15 years. The rest of his managerial finishes were 16th, 10th and 15th. He was and is shite.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Benitez reportedly resigned in part because he didn't want to spend 40m on Joelinton. Then yes-man Bruce walks through the door, and so does Joelinton soon after.

Park's Petrified Pooch

Never claimed Bruce had anything to do with the signing of Almiron. I'm also fairly sure Bruce would have been in contact with Ashley long before his arrival so I would be shocked if he hadn't a huge say in the Joelinton signing. So there you go.
What point was your first post making then? You mentioned Joelinton being a Bruce mistake. Almiron not being suited. And said he was using his best player in Saint Maximin as the main avenue to success.

Bruce to Newcastle happened quickly, so I’d question your assertion that he was having input in future transfer business. Almiron is being used as he should be, but he’s been poor. And hoping your best player performs and giving him the ball regularly seems like a sound plan to me. Like I said, Bruce is poor but your post didn’t add up for me. So I queried it.

Robbie Boy

What point was your first post making then? You mentioned Joelinton being a Bruce mistake. Almiron not being suited. And said he was using his best player in Saint Maximin as the main avenue to success.

Bruce to Newcastle happened quickly, so I’d question your assertion that he was having input in future transfer business. Almiron is being used as he should be, but he’s been poor. And hoping your best player performs and giving him the ball regularly seems like a sound plan to me. Like I said, Bruce is poor but your post didn’t add up for me. So I queried it.
Ok.

Charlie Foley

5th season was a fluke in defiance of the laws of man and god and the rest of his managerial career and everyone knows it. Please stop trying to throw it back in the faces of Newcastle supporters. It's intellectually and morally dishonest and even if you're just trying to troll it's massively stupid.

He had the best side he'd ever manage with the likes of Cisse, Ben Arfa, Coloccini, Ba, Jonas, Tiote playing some of their best football. My nan could have scraped 7th with that side and she's been dead 15 years. The rest of his managerial finishes were 16th, 10th and 15th. He was and is shite.
This is a fantastic post. I’m in bits reading this :lol:

Robbie Boy

Your post still doesn’t add up for me. Going to have to get the Essien calculator out.
Yeah, there's nothing really to it. The Almiron dig was more one at Newcastle in general, in that they signed a creative player, who has had feck all output in that department. Stand by the Joelinton point, I would be shocked if he had no say in their most expensive signing ever. Again, was a random dig at the club in general. They finally decide to spend and it's £40m on Joelinton. The rest is simples: starting Carroll is criminal and he plays shite football.

I just don't get why some always get so offended on here when he's critisised. The fans on here pretend he's doing an ok job but the actual Newcastle fans want shot of him. No one could do a better job apparently but yet Benitez did minus a £40m striker and two decent players in Fraser and Wilson. Just thought that poster got himself upset over a fairly innocuous dig. I'll be sure to be far more coherent and constructive with my random digs about managers/clubs, I don't really care about.

Oranges038

You might think they should be happy with that. But looking at their forums, they think he's shite and want him gone.
I don't think they should be happy with it, because I think Newcastle are very badly run by an owner who is only interested in how much money he can squeeze out of it. Because of this The reality is, they have a bottom half manager and a bottom half group of players, Rafa couldn't crack the top half with Newcastle and he over achieved by finishing 10th and 13th. Bruce finished 13th is currently in 15th. I just don't see how they can be expecting any better from him and the team.

The fans group have apparently issued a statement looking for him to be sacked. They'll be doing the same again in 12 or 18 months if he does get sacked. Which looks very likely.

Bojan11

Yeah, there's nothing really to it. The Almiron dig was more one at Newcastle in general, in that they signed a creative player, who has had feck all output in that department. Stand by the Joelinton point, I would be shocked if he had no say in their most expensive signing ever. Again, was a random dig at the club in general. They finally decide to spend and it's £40m on Joelinton. The rest is simples: starting Carroll is criminal and he plays shite football.

I just don't get why some always get so offended on here when he's critisised. The fans on here pretend he's doing an ok job but the actual Newcastle fans want shot of him. No one could do a better job apparently but yet Benitez did minus a £40m striker and two decent players in Fraser and Wilson. Just thought that poster got himself upset over a fairly innocuous dig. I'll be sure to be far more coherent and constructive with my random digs about managers/clubs, I don't really care about.
I was joking.

Robbie Boy

I don't think they should be happy with it, because I think Newcastle are very badly run by an owner who is only interested in how much money he can squeeze out of it. Because of this The reality is, they have a bottom half manager and a bottom half group of players, Rafa couldn't crack the top half with Newcastle and he over achieved by finishing 10th and 13th. Bruce finished 13th is currently in 15th. I just don't see how they can be expecting any better from him and the team.

The fans group have apparently issued a statement looking for him to be sacked. They'll be doing the same again in 12 or 18 months if he does get sacked. Which looks very likely.
Yeah they're a terribly run club. More talk of a takeover again, which is badly needed to end Ashley's reign.

Just from reading some fan forums: Their fans genuinely fear relegation with the form they're in. In their last ten in all competitions they have lost seven, drawn twice and won once. His shit on a stick outdated football might be acceptable if he was at least grinding out results, but they've been a mess.

I was also reading a-lot of fans saying he's clueless and has lost the plot tactically. I can see why: He started with Carroll, Wilson, Joelinton and Almiron tonight. I mean he literally shoehorned 4 attacker's into the side to play awful stuff and muster up one shot on target. He had Hayden and Longstaff on the bench. Neither have much quality but surely it would have been less tactically naive to go with both of them. Wilson is their only striker who looks competent so surely he should have started up-top with Almiron behind. It was a defensive set-up anyway so going with 4 attackers was bizarre. Seems he has some love-in for Carroll and maybe there's pressure on him to start Joelinton due to what he cost. But either way, they were a shambles tonight and generally have been lately.

Defenders scoring and Saint Maxim masked over his hideous football last season. The man is as dated as they come and Newcastle fans have every right to expect better than this. Maybe not necessarily positionally, but in terms of looking like they have a clue and some kind of vision.

Last edited:

United58

3 league goals in 48 games so far... Wow

SAFMUTD

Bruce is definately not getting the best out of his squad, but damn that squad is so poor. There's not one player, bar maybe Saint Maiximin, that I would take not even as a squad option.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Benitez reportedly resigned in part because he didn't want to spend 40m on Joelinton. Then yes-man Bruce walks through the door, and so does Joelinton soon after.
He knew he wasn't worth 40m but they chose not to listen. It's just as bad when the time Keegan walked after they signed that Xisco guy because Dennis Wise thought he looked good on youtube. :lol:

Doracle

I doubt anyone is actually offended by Steve Bruce being criticised. It’s just the amusement that he’s probably doing as good a job as it’s possible to do with a fairly poor squad, whilst getting met with the total unrealistic expectations of most Newcastle fans.

Benitez didn’t do any better than him - their points in the last three seasons have been 44, 45 and 45 and everyone said they were certainties to go down at the start of last season. Bruce kept them up comfortably despite having lost Rondon and having to deal with being given a £40 million striker who can’t hit a barn door.

It’s only since COVID and the loss of their one match winner as a result that the wheels have come off and I still suspect he’ll easily keep them up.

NYAS

Should go for Eddie Howe.
Probably the most notorious southerner in English football, taking the job at Newcastle of all places? Can’t see it happening.

Can see him taking the Palace job after some convincing that south London isn’t that far north. Newcastle; not a chance.