Steve Bruce & Newcastle Utd

Murray3007

to be honest they have been rotten for years, Rafa's team were just as bad, until the club is sold will just be like this as no decent manager is going to go in there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Any manager would do shit there. Rafa did okay but nobody could get them higher than midtable. Pardew got them 5th and they still hated him.
Well, if they are not going to get result, at least try to play interesting or better football like the situation with Potter & Brighton. Result or good football or both.

Bojan11

Probably the most notorious southerner in English football, taking the job at Newcastle of all places? Can’t see it happening.

Can see him taking the Palace job after some convincing that south London isn’t that far north. Newcastle; not a chance.
Palace would be a terrible job.

They have about 10 first team players or more out of contract in the summer. Zaha wants to leave and this is the summer he probably will. A board that makes Mike Ashley look like Sheikh Mansour when it comes to spending.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
3 league goals in 48 games so far... Wow
He must be in the Firminho school of strikers that don't score. Luckily for Firminho, Liverpool are generally so attacking that he'll get a goal here and there. Throw him in that Newcastle team and he'd be the same.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
3 league goals in 48 games so far... Wow
He wasn’t even prolific anywhere else. His best goal tally was 8 goals when he played in Austria. A really baffling transfer

padzilla

Hipster
There are two schools of thought - one that Newcastle are a sleeping giant that have been mismanaged for generations to the point where regular relegation is not a surprise. The vocal fanbase cannot believe what they are seeing as supposedly smaller clubs outspend them as they shoot up the table. The other school of thought is Newcastle fans have a sense of entitlement and the overwhelming majority of professional clubs would love to have their issues and they are actually better off than most.

GlasgowCeltic

Utterly bizarre how their fans are continually labelled as entitled for wanting a team that attacks a bit when comparative sized clubs like Villa and Leicester are doing just that

Cloud7

Bruce is a crap manager who avoids the same sort of criticism leveled at similar managers of his level because he used to play for us.

Lay

I thought he did well last season to consolidate them but he isn’t a manager you want to keep that going. Fans can only stomach his football for so long.

if they have ambitions more than just survival than they need another approach. Newcastle shouldn’t be fighting for survival every season, they should be where the likes of Villa etc are

Revaulx

Bruce is a crap manager who avoids the same sort of criticism leveled at similar managers of his level because he used to play for us.
I think there’s a bit more to him than “crap manager”. He did very well at the utterly unfancied Birmingham, Wigan and Hull.

His limitations have been well and truly shown up at “fallen giant” clubs though. Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday fans don’t look back at him with fondness, and it looks like Newcastle is going the same way. I can’t stand Sunderland fans, but his ridiculous claims that he was sacked due to anti-Geordie prejudice (rather than doing a crap job and buying loads of dross players on high wages) showed him in a very bad light.

Do United fans really defend ex-players’ managerial careers? Hughes? Ince? Both Nevilles? All have received criticism, and deservedly. And before the “entitled United fans hate our legends” brigade enter the debate, the Rooney at Derby thread is an outpouring of good wishes.

Cloud7

I think there’s a bit more to him than “crap manager”. He did very well at the utterly unfancied Birmingham, Wigan and Hull.

His limitations have been well and truly shown up at “fallen giant” clubs though. Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday fans don’t look back at him with fondness, and it looks like Newcastle is going the same way. I can’t stand Sunderland fans, but his ridiculous claims that he was sacked due to anti-Geordie prejudice (rather than doing a crap job and buying loads of dross players on high wages) showed him in a very bad light.

Do United fans really defend ex-players’ managerial careers? Hughes? Ince? Both Nevilles? All have received criticism, and deservedly. And before the “entitled United fans hate our legends” brigade enter the debate, the Rooney at Derby thread is an outpouring of good wishes.
We don't, for the most part, which is why I've always found the defending of Bruce to be weird, and the only reason I can imagine is that it's because he's a former player.

GlasgowCeltic

Hes at the lower end of that group of middling twats that includes Sam, Hughes, Moyes, Pulis, Pardew etc that Keys and Gray continually champion into bottom half Prem jobs and that Ashley seems to pick his managers from.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He himself admitted he doesn’t bother with silly nonsense like tactics. Seems like he’s more of a cheerleader than a proper coach. Part of the old school that think football is won and lost on how much you want it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Bruce is a crap manager who got Birmingham promoted and took them to their highest ever Premier League finish, kept Wigan up then took them to their highest ever Premier League finish, had Sunderland finishing in the top half of the league, got Hull promoted TWICE, keeping them up and getting them to the FA Cup final. He’s not a crap manager at all. The problem at Newcastle is higher up than the coach and has been for years now.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Simon Jordan on Talksport absolutely slating the players this morning, especially had a go at Ryan Fraser, he had talked to Bruce last week and he obviously let him in on a few things going on in that dressing room. Darren Bent also said earlier that Newcastle fans were never going to give him a chance because he isn't Rafa Benitez.

Revaulx

We don't, for the most part, which is why I've always found the defending of Bruce to be weird, and the only reason I can imagine is that it's because he's a former player.
I suppose it’s helped that his managerial career has never really brought him into conflict with us. If he were to be given the position currently occupied by Bielsa or Klopp I doubt he’d be defended :)

Robbie Boy

I doubt anyone is actually offended by Steve Bruce being criticised. It’s just the amusement that he’s probably doing as good a job as it’s possible to do with a fairly poor squad, whilst getting met with the total unrealistic expectations of most Newcastle fans.

Benitez didn’t do any better than him - their points in the last three seasons have been 44, 45 and 45 and everyone said they were certainties to go down at the start of last season. Bruce kept them up comfortably despite having lost Rondon and having to deal with being given a £40 million striker who can’t hit a barn door.

It’s only since COVID and the loss of their one match winner as a result that the wheels have come off and I still suspect he’ll easily keep them up.
Come on now, they've lost 7 in 10...

Lay

Rose claimed they barely trained last year. Had way too many days off given by Bruce

Walters_19_MuFc

He's not performing any worse or better than Rafa, who was apparently a footballing God.

As Neville said yesterday, where do the fans actually expect them to be? Maybe they want more entertaining football. If that's the case, then Bruce is certainly not your man, but then neither was Rafa.

Bruce, despite not the most entertaining, is getting points on the board. Yes, they're in poor form but I think he has enough to keep them up.

Going forward, the main thing they need to do is get new ownership and then they can think about managers, players, etc.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Utterly bizarre how their fans are continually labelled as entitled for wanting a team that attacks a bit when comparative sized clubs like Villa and Leicester are doing just that
Don't think it's even that far up the league, I reckon they're looking at how well coached Southampton are and Bruce is too lazy to come up with anything like that despite Newcastle squad not being that much worse than what Southampton put out.

Idxomer

Playing Andy Caroll is one of the most offensive decisions by any manager, it's basically telling his own fans "we're not really trying to win games anymore".

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They'll be lucky if there are three worse teams than them in the league this season.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Playing Andy Carroll with no service is a waste of time.
He's been done at the top for a while. Hadn't scored in 3 years before that random goal the other day. Absolutely no reason to have him in there other than a fetish for some dinosaur "big man, little man up front" setup.

Ludens the Red

They need a managerial change now, if only for the sake of getting a potential new manager boost. The problems lie deeper but they’re in a total slump.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They're so like we were in the dark days under McLeish and Lambert.

Zero ambition, zero intensity. Odd good player dotted around the pitch but there's no structure other than sitting deep and whacking in crosses.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
when you said you wanted to make our football more offensive, Steve, I think we had a different definition in mind.

432JuanMata

Very close to the sack now. 8 losses and 2 draws in last 10. Down to 16th. The only team Sheffield United have beat.

The worst thing about Newcastle is I watched them away to City, it was only 2-0 but City literally passed it sideways and didn’t even bother to score for the last 30 mins. Same what happened tonight with Villa. They are losing but it’s comfortably losing as most teams just control them and they offer nothing whatever.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think Rafa loved his time at Newcastle (bar the financial constraints) and Ashley has gone back to him with the idea of a hero’s return and a bit of cash for the summer.

It will get the fans back on side too. This will probably be Brucie’s last PL job and I think that’s ok.

Raredaredevil

Where does it say Rafael Benitez is going back to Newcastle? I looked him up but the only news source says he is linked to the Celtic job. Would love to see him back in the PL. He plays nice football.

RashyForPM

Where does it say Rafael Benitez is going back to Newcastle? I looked him up but the only news source says he is linked to the Celtic job. Would love to see him back in the PL. He plays nice football.
His football is like Bruce’s but possibly even worse. Just one instance amongst a lot of examples but when Newcastle played Huddersfield back in 2018-19, who are obviously widely regarded as one of the worst PL teams of all-time, they conceded 74% of the ball and 15 shots.

He plays some real awful stuff.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
His football is like Bruce’s but possibly even worse. Just one instance amongst a lot of examples but when Newcastle played Huddersfield back in 2018-19, who are obviously widely regarded as one of the worst PL teams of all-time, they conceded 74% of the ball and 15 shots.
There's a world of difference between pragmatic defensive football - we won that game against Huddersfield, I see you failed to mention :P - and the planless shite Bruce serves up.

RashyForPM

There's a world of difference between pragmatic defensive football - we won that game against Huddersfield, I see you failed to mention :P - and the planless shite Bruce serves up.
You did win, but I’m talking about easiness on the eye. I actually watched that game and it was an utter shite performance by the Toon if I’m being honest. The away performance against Huddersfield which you lost the previous season was another one I remember, although obviously they beat us too at their place that season.

Tsunami

Supports
Newcastle
Ashley is the cancer at our club and has been since he took the hump a couple of years into his ownership. Keegan won his case against him, establishing him as a liar and since then he has took the piss out of the fans at almost every opportunity (Joe Kinnear/ Wise anyone) and used the club as an advertising vehicle and a cash cow. No footballing ambition, no intention of being the best version of the club it could be. Soul destroying.

Bruce is just another symptom of a cheap yes man who Ashley hopes will keep the club in the PL. Bruce was something like 12th choice ffs. The fans have seen since almost day one that Bruce doesn’t have a clue, he continually compares results against Rafa ignoring how those results tactically were ground out. Bruce said the gloves are now off and he’ll do it his way; 2 shots in 2 games, 1 goal in 8?

Bruce is a managerial dinosaur and has to go, West Ham away aside we’ve not deserved to win any game this season, we’ve stolen so many points with undeserved late goals; Spurs, Wolves, Palace and West Brom spring immediately to mind. We’ll go down if he stays, we’ll probably go down anyway as the damage is ingrained into the players.

We need a change of ownership, Ashley wants to go this time, we have willing buyers and we’re being stiffed by others preventing this. There’s no denying that the Saudis are far from perfect and have an awful human rights record however, PIF should pass the O&D Test as it stands. I’m not advocating Saudi ownership but pointing out that this proposed sale has been interfered with by outside parties who should have no say in it.

Anyway, we’re an awful team, awful watch with an awful manager and a despicable owner. The lazy, trotted out line is that we’re entitled and deluded. It’s simply not true. Should any fans be content with this? Check out the stats, by every other comparison other than points, we are bottom or 2nd bottom; it’s not sustainable. Christ I sound like a moaner, I’ve had a ST for about 25 years, this enforced absence from attending will result in many fans simply giving up going if nothing changes. Anger will turn to apathy, it’s started already.

Red00012

Probably the most notorious southerner in English football, taking the job at Newcastle of all places? Can’t see it happening.

Can see him taking the Palace job after some convincing that south London isn’t that far north. Newcastle; not a chance.
He may be moving further north if rumours are to be believed :D