Steve Bruce & Newcastle Utd

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Play like trash for 90 minutes, isaac hayden wanders onto the end of a cross on accident in stoppage time, perfect gameplan from brucie. I weep for the dafties who think this is sustainable or even on purpose. :lol:
It's a relief to find that it's not just United fans who are so invested in their entirely negative opinion of their own club that they actively hate it when good things happen, and then come up with excuses for why even the good things are shite.

How the hell can you go through life as a supporter like that?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They're the lucky winners of the yearly "who's gonna be great at scoring from set pieces" lottery

Dante

Average bang
He's an underrated manager.

Bruce gets a bad rap because his tenures usually end with his teams underperforming. But if you think about it - that happens to every fecking manager in the world who's not call Alex Ferguson.

Football managers tend to have a limited shelf life at any one club. Once that ends, it becomes almost impossible to motivate the squad or sell their ideas to their players. That's why there's such a merry-go-round, and why erstwhile 'good' managers suddenly become 'bad' managers. It's not that they lose their ability. It's just that some intangible aspect of them gets stale after a while in the same place. Then they go to a new club and (depending on their ability) the cycle repeats.

Bruce has it worst than most in respect of his reputation. Because of the stature of the clubs he manages (often yo-yo clubs), he's gone through that cycle a lot of times. And because people remember the bad times more than the good times, that's what sticks.

The bottom line with Bruce is that he's more capable of getting his teams to play above themselves than the vast majority of other managers in the league. And his transfer acumen is really blood good too. Newcastle could have done a lot worse.

poleglass red

It's funny how perspectives are. Bruce is perceived as a bad manager, he's 4 points behind us and Wolves whose manager is routinely spoken of in glowing terms. Newcastle have had terrible injury problems this season as well, so where he is, is actually very good. Will he play sexy football, probably not, but then again neither do Wolves,. I appreciate Santo has had Wolves doing well consistently so Bruce has to achieve that. I just feel he doesn't get the credit maybe because of his past record.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's the fact that they did pretty much the exact same thing on the weekend too... They're just shit, but yet not.
They're a weird side for sure. The whole game was dominated by us until the 93rd minute where we shat it because we're Everton. It's one of those where luck will get them by this season perhaps but next season they will be absolutely fighting relegation if they persist with the same tactics.

Although everyone was laughing at @the_box earlier and it does sound like he wants them to lose at times. I do understand what he's saying. They're really poor and if they don't change something the luck will run out. Bruce seems to be an excellent man manager which is very important nowadays and it's probably why they always have that belief until the last minute but you can't run on that alone, you need the tactical side to sustain it.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I deleted it because I couldn't be bothered to debate it with you, but you were feverishly spamming smilies while working out your clear anger management issues, so here we are. It says a lot about someone when they can't have a reasonable debate without devolving it into a mud slinging contest.

Reading comprehension? Original stuff! Someone's feeling sassy today. Ah a purple patch. That's a nice way to avoid reflecting on your predictions you were going to be horseshit after your lord and saviour ditched you. Not a suprise though; it's pretty evident you have issues with working things through...

If you're going to reply to me again, try to do it with a little more decorum; it makes for a far more enjoyable conversation.
Oi! :nono:

I'm the only one allowed to be sassy round here!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Was incredibly stupid not to take the job in 2004 when Robson left. With Given, Dyer, Bellamy, Shearer, Butt, Kluivert, Milner, Robert, Bowyer etc., it was potentially a top 4 job. He hasnt been offered a job as good since.
He was offered that in 04? Why on earth did he pass on that?

Bojan11

Starting to unravel now. They got a bit of a cushion so should be safe. But people go overboard with the praise.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Next game, Burnley at home, is quite big for them. Lose and it's 2 points from 5 games = looks very bad. Win and 5 from 5 considering their cushion is relatively fine, nothing to really worry about.

At that stage when one result can swing things as to how it feels it's going.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Starting to unravel now. They got a bit of a cushion so should be safe. But people go overboard with the praise.
They were severely overachieving even when things were good.

I will be amazed if they're not relegated within the next 15 months.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Or people go overboard with the negativity? Works both ways.
Of the 33 Premier League managers to have managed over 200 games in the league, Steve Bruce has the second worst win percentage. A dizzying 28.1%.

Couple that with the state of Newcastle’s squad and I would far rather bet on the negative side than the positive.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Of the 33 Premier League managers to have managed over 200 games in the league, Steve Bruce has the second worst win percentage. A dizzying 28.1%.

Couple that with the state of Newcastle’s squad and I would far rather bet on the negative side than the positive.
28.1% ... Looks terrible. Then factor in the club's he has been at, clubs who yoyo and don't finance to stay in the prem and it's quite easy to see how a number can be that low. It's not as if he has managed a bunch of worldies.

Maluco

28.1% ... Looks terrible. Then factor in the club's he has been at, clubs who yoyo and don't finance to stay in the prem and it's quite easy to see how a number can be that low. It's not as if he has managed a bunch of worldies.
It still doesn’t change the fact that this is a terrible Newcastle squad managed by a guy who has a worse win percentage than Allardyce, Pulis, Curbishley, Pardew or even Joe Kinnear.

He has managed similar clubs to that lot, and has been backed at a number of them.

Even at Wigan, probably his weakest PL side before now, he had Melchiot, Figueroa, Edman, Kirkland, Valencia, Scharner, N’Zogbia, Rodellega etc...

The mix makes fearful reading for Newcastle fans, and then you throw in the fact that the game has moved on and left these sort of managers methods less effective than ever, and there are big problems on the horizon.

It’s not all Brucies fault, as you say, he hasn’t had any big teams, but look at what he has done in the PL and then look at his squad.

I think there is probably a player/players I would have from every team in the league at United, bar Newcastle.

acnumber9

At this stage last season Newcastle had three points less than they do now. And people were falling over themselves to say Benitez was working miracles.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It still doesn’t change the fact that this is a terrible Newcastle squad managed by a guy who has a worse win percentage than Allardyce, Pulis, Curbishley, Pardew or even Joe Kinnear.

He has managed similar clubs to that lot, and has been backed at a number of them.

Even at Wigan, probably his weakest PL side before now, he had Melchiot, Figueroa, Edman, Kirkland, Valencia, Scharner, N’Zogbia, Rodellega etc...

The mix makes fearful reading for Newcastle fans, and then you throw in the fact that the game has moved on and left these sort of managers methods less effective than ever, and there are big problems on the horizon.

It’s not all Brucies fault, as you say, he hasn’t had any big teams, but look at what he has done in the PL and then look at his squad.

I think there is probably a player/players I would have from every team in the league at United, bar Newcastle.
Yes, the squad is poor, but that seems to be ignored for some reason. He took over a weaker side than Rafa had and is outstripping him. Rafa was praised to high heaven for he did at Newcastle. Bruce? Well, it's reluctant acceptance that he's doing an OK job. He's doing well at Newcastle: his managerial record prior to his arrival has no baring on that.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

You've just said it, a terrible squad and he is still in top half of table. Where did you get his win %age btw? I just checked wiki and he's at 38.1% ? Obviously some of that is championship too.

Infact Sunderland was his worst club at 29%?

Maluco

You've just said it, a terrible squad and he is still in top half of table. Where did you get his win %age btw? I just checked wiki and he's at 38.1% ? Obviously some of that is championship too.

Infact Sunderland was his worst club at 29%?
I looked up his PL win percentage on google and it was the first result. An article on BBC Sport about his career by numbers.

I would imagine that is solely games in the premier league and not domestic cup or championship games.

I have sympathy for him, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t think he has the ability to keep this squad out of trouble, even less so in 2020.

I would put them as favorites for the drop next year.

I am not defending Rafa either, but his defensive organisation and early work can’t be discounted.

I think any of the residual work has worn off by now and we will soon see the results of that. Benitez is a manager with a far bigger pedigree than Bruce.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Very close to safety now.

Helped that they played against 10 for a long time today but last 2 games they've actually been on the front foot.

Heard a manager on the radio the other week saying you get more points per clean sheet than when you score one goal. Not sure if true, but Brucey's obviously taken that to heart. Burnley, Palace and Watford all doing the same too.

Alabaster Codify7

To his credit he's done well this season, I didn't fancy his chances at all but he's gritted it out and they look safe.

Castia

Thought they were certain to go down when they brought Bruce in. Fair play to him he’s done well and Newcastle look to have a very good player in Saint-Maximin.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Considering the ownership issue and taking over after a highly popular manager he has done fantastic to get them to the brink of safety with 9 games still to go.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I get into arguments with Newcastle fans on Twitter every time #BruceOut trends because what the feck do they think they could possibly achieve with anyone else?

He's doing fine consideirng the state of Newcastle, the squad and the ownership. He's no better or worse than Rafa and if they survive then Newcastle fans should be praying at his feet.

Amerifan

Not backing Rafa: stupid.
Bringing in Bruce: genius.

Go figure.

Judas

Open to offers
Think he's done brilliantly. QF of the FA cup along with their league position? How can any Newcastle fan really complain, it looked beyond bleak when Rafa went and Bruce was hired, but he's achieved wonders really.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Looks like he's going to be fecked off.
Poor guy. He's actually quite a decent manager, but you'd think he's Iain Dowie or Paul Jewell the way fans talk about him.

Maybe he needs to hire some consultants to improve his personal brand.

Hoof the ball

It's perhaps harsh to rid themselves of Bruce, but, I understand the decision. With the influx of money soon to be readily available I don't blame them for upgrading their managerial and coaching positions, respectively.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Poor guy. He's actually quite a decent manager, but you'd think he's Iain Dowie or Paul Jewell the way fans talk about him.

Maybe he needs to hire some consultants to improve his personal brand.
Not looking like that and with that accent. Too late for him.

Reducation

I don't get the cult following Benitez got there...
I think a lot of Newcastle supporters felt that because Benitez had managed at some much bigger and more glamorous clubs, he bestowed on their club a flavour of a greater stature; a degree of validation amongst the big boys.
In other words, they want a Fancy-Dan foreign manager just because they do.