Steve McClaren | Yessh our new assistant coach

Chairman Steve

Every season McClarens been at United, we’ve won the league :angel:

He’s got a lot of experience in handling so many big stakes games in a short period of time from the moment he stepped through the door back in 98/99. I’m certain he’s got a significant hand in that.

KeanoMagicHat

I think McClaren is a good coach but a bit awkward to handle the media and appearances side of things well enough to be a top manager. So going back to his roots as an assistant, he was obviously brilliant at the job before he outgrew it originally.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Glad he's finally getting people's respect again.

The England job destroys reputations
I think his managerial choices after FC Twente put him on a hiding to nothing, Derby, Newcastle and QPR have all been badly run. Although McClaren is limited as a manager he does possess key skills which in the right team make him a great asset.

next_number_seven

Glad he's finally getting people's respect again.

The England job destroys reputations
Yeah it's his only blemish really.
Has had a successful career otherwise.

I think his experience and the fact there's no pressure on him, make him ideal in the role.

Hopefully he stays here and goes out on a high.

Last edited:

j65454

Yeah it's his only blemish really.
Has had a successful career otherwise.
He's clearly doing a great job so far, but the England job is hardly the only blemish on his CV. Losing to Modric's Croatia is one of the lesser ones.

He's very clearly a great/good coach in certain situations when things come together.

Amsterdam Devil

I think his managerial choices after FC Twente put him on a hiding to nothing, Derby, Newcastle and QPR have all been badly run. Although McClaren is limited as a manager he does possess key skills which in the right team make him a great asset.
He is just a really good coach and assistent but not a very good manager, although he did alright at Middlesbrough and Twente. When he helped QPR out as coach on a three month deal everybody was raving about him, when he became manager at QPR a couple of years later it didn’t work out and got sacked within the year. I think it’s great he’s back at United. In the Fergie days he was a really innovating assistent, he started with a lot of video, camera’s, analyses and data in a time that wasn’t as normal as it is now.

Reactions: Cheimoon