Steve McClaren | Yessh our new assistant coach

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Because he's shown himself to be a very accomplished assistant? I wouldn't want Carlos Queiroz as my manager but I'd take him as part of the coaching staff any day.
To be fair this was in 1999. The game has changed now.

ti vu

Pretty sure Venables was something like that for McClaren when he was England’s manager.

Plus McClaren was an assistant for Sven when he was still Boro manager I think.

I guess McClaren just likes the coaching gig and doesn’t have an ego about it.
I think it's one of his best trait. As somebody mentioned earlier about story about post defeat during his time under SAF, he seems to be a good type to balance the mood in the dressing room.

Some of Mike Phelan's post SAF retirement interview sounds very egoistic. We know SAF delegated the duty to his assistants, but Mike Phelan worded it like he's our actual manager running the first team during that period.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So pleased we have ETH in and can finally stop making backroom appointments steeped in nostalgia for the SAF era :o
Never understand people who want to totally cut ties with the most successful period of our club - it worked in the wrong structure previously, doesn’t mean this is the same or will fail.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

This one, and I think both will be assistant coaches maybe.
Unless he's being humble, he's basically saying ETH did all the work for him :lol:

Also he's quite a conservative coach by his own admission. Not necessarily a bad thing, but interesting to hear his own evaluation of himself.

Spoony

The People's President
I like McClaren, so did the players... apparently. So it's Gaag and Steve? This is going to be interesting.

padzilla

Hipster
BBC reporting that the club aren't keen and haven't approved his appointment yet.

Flexdegea

How to hell are people carrying this story like it's legit ?

Hag been in negotiation with club for a while, he hardly have signed and agreed to everything without having everything given as a guarantee to him. Total daft.

They implying he signed the contract and then the club said no on that and then they gave him it, mental these daft stories get carried :lol:

Kag

Bring him in. We need a whipping boy to assess from afar when it all goes tits up.

I’ll start: what does this fossil even do?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Unless he's being humble, he's basically saying ETH did all the work for him :lol:

Also he's quite a conservative coach by his own admission. Not necessarily a bad thing, but interesting to hear his own evaluation of himself.
Yeah I did think that :lol:

Dante

Average bang
Occam's Razor

Rather than believing in conspiracies and behind-the-scenes political intrigue, it's far more likely that the journalists got it wrong when they said the board rejected McClaren in the first place.

Last edited:

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

That's what I thought throughout. Basically giving ten Hagg all the credit for Twentes success.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Do people really believe that we'd reach the point of an announcement being made before Ten Hag would state that he'd quite like McClaren to come in with him? Mind boggling how many grown adults still believe every word chucked at them from the media.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Well let's first make sure we qualify for Europe to begin with...
Really? I rather we stay out of Europe in ETHs first season. We will lose 7-10 players possibly. He will have a lot more time to implement his ideas with no Thursday matches and the associated travelling to distant lands.

spiriticon

Steve McClaren is decent manager in his own right.

We would be really lucky to have him as an assistant manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why would the club push back on that in the first place? You move heaven and earth to get the hottest property in Europe to join and the first thing you do is reject his assistant.
We dont know that they did push back

Mainoldo

Is it any different than Phelan?

One of the old guard from successful times being given a job because......?
Check their CV’s. One’s qualified the other has always been here on mates rates.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Occam's Razor

Rather than believing in conspiracies and behind-the-scenes political intrigue, it's far more likely that the journalists got it wrong when they said the board rejected McClaren in the first place.
When you quote Falk your quoting failure. That man doesn’t know anything.