Steve McClaren | Yessh our new assistant coach

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

With him as assistant, anything less than a treble is a failure :D

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Well let's first make sure we qualify for Europe to begin with...

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That’s funny. Wasn’t ETH Steve’s assistant or one of his coaches in Holland?
Yes, someone posted a great interview with Steve talking about ETH. Really good watch and a glowing review of ETH.

Xanther

Why do I feel a sense of warmth about this. Is it maybe because he's a remnant from our successful past? He's still 'only' 60.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well that was quick. From refusing to accepting within minutes/hours. Media making stuff up again then.

justboy68

No problem at all with this. He was here when we were good and had nothing to do with us while we were shite. Welcome back Steve.

Dazzmondo

"Board don't want McClaren on coaching team"
1 hour later: "McClaren joins coaching team"

Well that escalated quickly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why do I think that this is nonsense? Was ETH negotiating with United this morning after having already signed his contract and somehow won his first battle.

roonster09

Scout
Why do I think that this is nonsense? Was ETH negotiating with United this morning after having already signed his contract and somehow won his first battle.
Sam Wallace read opinion piece from Dutch journalist and created a story, unfortunately for him it was proven wrong within one hour so they created first battle.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
“The players are said to be having problems understanding what Gaag and McClaren want from them, they have doubts over their credentials to coach at this level having only ever collaborated in the much weaker Dutch league previously”

That’s what you’ll get if you ask these lads to run or put their bodies on the line

roonster09

Scout
Is it any different than Phelan?

One of the old guard from successful times being given a job because......?
Because it has nothing to do with his job at ManUtd which was around 20 years ago, it's to do with them working together in the past.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Because he has already worked with ETH previously, so they have a working relationshop/dynamic that they think can transfer to United.

Lee565

I like it but it is ironic that we wanted to move away from the past and stop giving positions out in the club to the boys and now we have mclaren back in dugout.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
In modern football nowdays, you can have lot of assistant managers not just 1 assistant. ETH has 3 assistant managers in Ajax plus 1 for each individual coach, coordination coach, fitness coach, and goalkeeping coach.

I'm guessing he will try to aim to have 2 or 3 assistants and then use what we are currently have as his individual coach, fitness coach and goalkeeping coach (Eric Ramsey, Hawkins, Mawson, Martis).

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
"Board don't want McClaren on coaching team"
1 hour later: "McClaren joins coaching team"

Well that escalated quickly.
I don't see why the board would give a toss except for SAF who I can see finding it threatening. Suspect that was the blockage.

roonster09

Scout
I like it but it is ironic that we wanted to move away from the past and stop giving positions out in the club to the boys and now we have mclaren back in dugout.
So you want to cut ties with anyone and everyone who worked at ManUtd in the past?

How is it giving "job to the boys" when ETH worked with Mcclaren as assistant and they gave good working relationship.

Laurencio

What a silly story.

So the board first refused to hire McClaren, and then Ten Hag said- "but I want him", and then they caved?

Biggest nothing story ever.

youngrell

Good news, I reckon. Always heard good things from past players about his coaching and actually did pretty well in a few managerial roles himself (although some memorable bad ones too).

If he can help deliver another treble then we won't complain.

roonster09

Scout
I don't see why the board would give a toss except for SAF who I can see finding it threatening. Suspect that was the blockage.
Why will SAF find this threatening?

roonster09

Scout
In modern football nowdays, you can have lot of assistant managers not just 1 assistant. ETH has 3 assistant managers in Ajax plus 1 for each individual coach, coordination coach, fitness coach, and goalkeeping coach.

I'm guessing he will try to aim to have 2 or 3 assistants and then use what we are currently have as his individual coach, fitness coach and goalkeeping coach (Eric Ramsey, Hawkins, Mawson, Martis).
Yeah his assistant from Ajax is also joining.

MUFC OK

McClaren was a decent manager in his own right. Boro in the EL final, won the league with Twente.

mancsarered

Can help moderate the English-Dutch conversation, prior experience winning everything at this club, and has already voiced his opinions that a good chunk of the current squad should be shipped out. I'm in!