Steve McClaren | Yessh our new assistant coach

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
McClaren isn't really a Manchester United guy. He's very different from Giggs, Carrick and Phelan who were part of the club for a long time.
United guy or not, just hope it’s 100% Ten Hag decision and not the idiotic powers that be saying we want you to bring in some one with you with a history with the club

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I must be one of the few who doesn't want RVP? Seems more like a typical recent Utd hiring than this. Its a lot more jobs for the boys than bringing back McClaren.
Personally I want know one who has any history with the club coming, the club is a complete mess and it’s structure and culture needs rebuilding from the ground up, with fresh ideas, not remembering how things use to be.

PeteManic

Does no one see how laughable this all is? That this is nothing different. That Ten Haag is happy that he can coach the squad to play better and work with a limited budget. Give me a break. And now McClaren? Another Fergie choice? It's like Phil Thompson going back in to Liverpool. Laughable.

Loon

:lol:
So, was he appointed or is the Telegraph thing on the BBC gossip page correct?

Loon

:lol:
Does no one see how laughable this all is? That this is nothing different. That Ten Haag is happy that he can coach the squad to play better and work with a limited budget. Give me a break. And now McClaren? Another Fergie choice? It's like Phil Thompson going back in to Liverpool. Laughable.
It really isn’t.Ten Hag has a prior working relationship with McClaren and he happened to work at United before and therefore he is ten Hag’s choice, not United’s. That’s the crucial point: ten Hag’s choice. That has been made clear by United’s initial objections.

Devil may care

Have the club actually confirmed this? He's a cornball but clearly not a bad coach and if Ten Hag wants him then the board should hire him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yup. So why on Earth wouldn’t you want that switched around if ETH wants it? He clearly enjoyed working with him, were successful and ETH clearly still rates him?
So why would anyone be against ETH getting what he wants?
I didn't say I was against it - I said the board blocked it. I said, I just hope McClaren has kept up with the times. That said, I do wonder if we need a younger coach or at least assistant coach. I hear Rooney was offered something!

Marwood

I didn't say I was against it - I said the board blocked it. I said, I just hope McClaren has kept up with the times. That said, I do wonder if we need a younger coach or at least assistant coach. I hear Rooney was offered something!
Specifically what is it you think a younger coach would know that McClaren doesn't?

Withnail

Rooney wants to be United manager one day. He's apparently not interested in a lesser role and also seems to be quite loyal to Derby at the moment.

As for McClaren, EtH has worked with him before so if he wants to bring him in then I'm not going to argue.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes bringing his assistant from Ajax

phelans shorts

Specifically what is it you think a younger coach would know that McClaren doesn't?
Techniques evolve in all fields over time. McClaren may have kept up with these changes, he may not have. Somebody who’s just getting started will obviously be more aware of the newer styles/techniques as they’re studying for badges etc…

Again, I’ve no idea if he is up to date or not. You do also get young coaches who stubbornly cling to techniques that outdated them by decades depending on their viewpoint. There is some merit to McClaren possibly having blind points that a younger coach wouldn’t.

philnguyen1994

I just hope our online fan base remembers that "the buck stops with the manager" this time and if things don't go well at first, McClaren and the other coaches (old or new) won't become scapegoats.

Some of the stick Carrick and McKenna got in the end was a bit over the top TBH (although they did restore their reputation somewhat with Carrick's decent caretaker results and McKenna's good start at Ipswich). Apparently our players were brilliant, held back by novice coaching, and their potential was about to be unleashed under the Godfather of Gegenpressing and his Red Bull coaches. That aged well, didn't it?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'd hardly compare him to Phelan. McClaren was a proper manager himself and was pretty successful earlier in his career. Won the league cup and reached the Uefa Cup final with Middlesborough and won the Eredivisie with Twente. I still have fond memories of that Middlesborough side with Juninho.
Not that I’m putting down mcclaren, I think it would be a very smart move, but wasn’t they boro side the one that Robbo built?

Marwood

Techniques evolve in all fields over time. McClaren may have kept up with these changes, he may not have. Somebody who’s just getting started will obviously be more aware of the newer styles/techniques as they’re studying for badges etc…

Again, I’ve no idea if he is up to date or not. You do also get young coaches who stubbornly cling to techniques that outdated them by decades depending on their viewpoint. There is some merit to McClaren possibly having blind points that a younger coach wouldn’t.
Yeah but what techniques specifically do you think McClaren doesn't know about that say Rooney does?

AdNani

I think it's a very smart move by Ten Hag. Someone who has no links to the current squad but has links to a very successful time at united whilst also having a working relationship with him. If anything he's over qualified for the job, Ten Hag, Van Der Gaag and Mclaren is a monumental upgrade on what we currently have.

macheda14

Guardiola had Brian Kidd as his assistant when he first joined City.

phelans shorts

Yeah but what techniques specifically do you think McClaren doesn't know about that say Rooney does?
Guardiola had Brian Kidd as his assistant when he first joined City.
I literally think McClaren is a good idea. Definitely moreso than a Rooney. I was saying there are positives to having newer coaches as well.

I also know literally nothing about how good any football coach in the world is, like pretty much everybody on this forum. Was just a statement on the advantages of having newer coaches around.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Rooney wants to be United manager one day. He's apparently not interested in a lesser role and also seems to be quite loyal to Derby at the moment.

As for McClaren, EtH has worked with him before so if he wants to bring him in then I'm not going to argue.
I'm not arguing either... are you sure Rooney doesn't want to be the Everton boss at some stage?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
newer techniques, newer things re fitness. For instance many young doctors and or physios have been taught things older ones never were. Fresh ideas too. Look at how Wenger changed things like diet and booze when he arrived at Arsenal. Not saying McClaren is the wrong move, just hope he has kept up to date with things

Marwood

newer techniques, newer things re fitness. For instance many young doctors and or physios have been taught things older ones never were. Fresh ideas too. Look at how Wenger changed things like diet and booze when he arrived at Arsenal. Not saying McClaren is the wrong move, just hope he has kept up to date with things
But that's doctors and physios. Science. Also who is teaching the younger doctors these new ideas?

I'm just interested as to why people think certain coaches are behind the times and others aren't. You see it a lot here and when I ask specifically what is for instance McClaren doesn't know, I never really get an answer.

Really I think its fans overcomplicating what football is.

Withnail

I'm not arguing either... are you sure Rooney doesn't want to be the Everton boss at some stage?
Maybe he does but he was interviewed recently and said that his ambition in the game is to be the United manager. That's what he's working towards.

“The whole reason in me going into management is Manchester United. I got offered the job interview for the Everton job.

“I want to be Manchester United manager. I know I am not ready now but I have to plan everything I do to make sure one day it will happen.”

https://theathletic.com/news/wayne-...nchester-united-manager-one-day/366oAzciABBk/

GMoore23

Not that I’m putting down mcclaren, I think it would be a very smart move, but wasn’t they boro side the one that Robbo built?
Juninho signed for Boro 3 times. The 3rd time was under McClaren and they won the League cup. They also had Mendieta, Zenden, a young Downing and Southgate was the captain if I recall.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Juninho signed for Boro 3 times. The 3rd time was under McClaren and they won the League cup. They also had Mendieta, Zenden, a young Downing and Southgate was the captain if I recall.
Did he? Ah the old memory not so good. I was thinking Juninho, ravanelli, that other Brazilian player (Emerson?) and maybe an Italian CB?

anyways thanks for the clarification

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Maybe he does but he was interviewed recently and said that his ambition in the game is to be the United manager. That's what he's working towards.

“The whole reason in me going into management is Manchester United. I got offered the job interview for the Everton job.

“I want to be Manchester United manager. I know I am not ready now but I have to plan everything I do to make sure one day it will happen.”

https://theathletic.com/news/wayne-...nchester-united-manager-one-day/366oAzciABBk/
interesting... not sure it will ever happen but see how his career goes

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
it was a joke, Jesus! :lol: They also do it for every manager/coach so why not get in early? Same as the sack watch threads.
Fair enough, I apologise! Just so many posters on here have been saying that unironically!

blythy

Fascist Dictator
Personally I want know one who has any history with the club coming, the club is a complete mess and it’s structure and culture needs rebuilding from the ground up, with fresh ideas, not remembering how things use to be.
United have a very long history of hiring people previously associated with the club. It's unlikely to change + with good reason.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
United have a very long history of hiring people previously associated with the club. It's unlikely to change + with good reason.
Disagree that there is a good reason, Simce Fergie left pretty every manager has had people in there back room staff who has had links to the Fergie. Neville, Giggs, Carrick Phelan. Yet the culture at the club has deteriorated pretty much year on year.
We need to stop looking back on what worked in the past and rebuild with new ideas new culture. We need fresh eyes on the problems not eyes influenced by what use to be.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Not foreign enough for me. Prefer someone with less experience like RVP.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
United guy or not, just hope it’s 100% Ten Hag decision and not the idiotic powers that be saying we want you to bring in some one with you with a history with the club
I expect it to be his, they've worked together. This isn't like LVG being handed Giggs or Mourinho and Carrick.

Looks like he is indeed joining up. Yershhh very goed!

This is interesting if ETH thinks a 2nd midfielder is more important than a fullback.

dove

I expect it to be his, they've worked together. This isn't like LVG being handed Giggs or Mourinho and Carrick.

This is interesting if ETH thinks a 2nd midfielder is more important than a fullback.
I personally think it is also. Our midfield options are shambolic and with Pogba and Matic leaving, we simply don't have any options at all...

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

Getting a couple midfielders takes our total number of competent midfielders to 2...

Red_toad

Next season we have Fred, VDB, McTommy and maybe Garner for 2 central roles, so it’s not going to work. Pogba and Matic out means they need replacing. Plus he may have seen McTommy recently and be shocked at how poor his passing is. McTommy is a saleable asset one of the clubs who’ve been promoted will probably be in for him.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
@Red_toad @dove @pcaming

I know it's a popular opinion on the board. I get that the idea of having De Jong and Tchouameni behind Bruno or Donny makes us cream, but the idea of Telles starting a game makes me cry.

I felt the bit about ETH's priorities was still the most noteworthy thing in that article.