Steve McClaren | Yessh our new assistant coach

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I just hope our online fan base remembers that "the buck stops with the manager" this time and if things don't go well at first, McClaren and the other coaches (old or new) won't become scapegoats.

Some of the stick Carrick and McKenna got in the end was a bit over the top TBH (although they did restore their reputation somewhat with Carrick's decent caretaker results and McKenna's good start at Ipswich). Apparently our players were brilliant, held back by novice coaching, and their potential was about to be unleashed under the Godfather of Gegenpressing and his Red Bull coaches. That aged well, didn't it?
The whole point of buck stopping at manager was to analyze it's not just day to day tactical flaws of ole but the fact he got garbage players.

It's aged well since we now truly see the mess ole left us in

GusHyd

Supports
Southampton
I expect it to be his, they've worked together. This isn't like LVG being handed Giggs or Mourinho and Carrick.

This is interesting if ETH thinks a 2nd midfielder is more important than a fullback.
Concentrating on the spine of your team which makes sense. Although not the greatest I think your full backs can do a decent enough job. I don’t think they are actually as bad as many United fans think. Luke Shaw needs a proper preseason and he could easily become one of the top left backs in the league again. AWB although poor going forward is solid in one v one situations defensively. I just think he needs (and tbh your whole back line does!) an experienced vocal centre back who will direct him into the right spaces.
In terms of United bring McClaren back in, one I didn’t expect but does make sense. He’s been known as a pretty decent coach in the past, has experience of the league and is now at an age and time in his career where I don’t think he actively wants the limelight. As a result he’s likely to work well alongside the new manager without ruffling feathers. As a club I feel like United need some stability and a good team working ethos.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Red_toad

@Red_toad @dove @pcaming

I know it's a popular opinion on the board. I get that the idea of having De Jong and Tchouameni behind Bruno or Donny makes us cream, but the idea of Telles starting a game makes me cry.

I felt the bit about ETH's priorities was still the most noteworthy thing in that article.
Shaw isn’t going to be injured all next season. Once Shaw is back Telles is benched or maybe he leaves. We will have to move on some players, Telles could bring in 10 million

sunama

Baghdad Bob

With him as assistant, anything less than a treble is a failure :D
I remember that treble winning season. Even the following season, in the league, we were unstoppable. It baffled me that we didn't win the quadruple in 2000.
Steve loves statistics and uses statistics to make decisions. It worked in his first stint....it might work again.
Here's hoping.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Shaw isn’t going to be injured all next season. Once Shaw is back Telles is benched or maybe he leaves. We will have to move on some players, Telles could bring in 10 million
You're making out that Luke Shaw is some demigod. The guy has stank up the place for a while he is part of the losing mentality that we currently have. Shaw (and most of our other players) does not possess the mentality to win trophies at the highest level.
When Jose was here, he singled out 3 players as having weak mentality - Pogba, Shaw and Martial. 2 of them are on the verge of going having achieved nothing since Jose left. To succeed, we'll certainly need to get rid of Shaw (and most of our other players).

@Red_toad @dove @pcaming

I know it's a popular opinion on the board. I get that the idea of having De Jong and Tchouameni behind Bruno or Donny makes us cream, but the idea of Telles starting a game makes me cry.

I felt the bit about ETH's priorities was still the most noteworthy thing in that article.
Agreed on all points.

Last edited:

Grande

United guy or not, just hope it’s 100% Ten Hag decision and not the idiotic powers that be saying we want you to bring in some one with you with a history with the club

Forcing somone on somebody as assistant coach on the sole premise that he was assistant manager at the club for three years, twenty years ago, would be madness. I mean, not ‘anyone making decisions at United must be mad’ mad, but like, really, clinically mad.

Could be that Arnold and Murtaugh are that mad, of course, but very unlikely.

More likely then, that Ten Hag, who has worked under McClaren and knows what he stands for, wants it and gets what he wants.

reddevilz007

Concentrating on the spine of your team which makes sense. Although not the greatest I think your full backs can do a decent enough job. I don’t think they are actually as bad as many United fans think. Luke Shaw needs a proper preseason and he could easily become one of the top left backs in the league again. AWB although poor going forward is solid in one v one situations defensively. I just think he needs (and tbh your whole back line does!) an experienced vocal centre back who will direct him into the right spaces.
In terms of United bring McClaren back in, one I didn’t expect but does make sense. He’s been known as a pretty decent coach in the past, has experience of the league and is now at an age and time in his career where I don’t think he actively wants the limelight. As a result he’s likely to work well alongside the new manager without ruffling feathers. As a club I feel like United need some stability and a good team working ethos.
Our spine through the middle is terrible, even Bruno is very average. McTominay is very limited in his skills, Fred is easily replaceable. VDB will have to get his mojo back.

So yes, two midfielders to build the spine makes sense and is an absolute priority.

Delighted to have the team that took Twente to their only ever league title back together at United.
Delighted we have an assistant manager who has managed England, won a dutch league and won Middlesborough their only top title in their history (league cup) and took them to their only European final.

I mean, I guess the negative is him being a bit over qualified, but then he was alright previously in the same role I guess :lol:

Andy_Cole

I just hope our online fan base remembers that "the buck stops with the manager" this time and if things don't go well at first, McClaren and the other coaches (old or new) won't become scapegoats.

Some of the stick Carrick and McKenna got in the end was a bit over the top TBH (although they did restore their reputation somewhat with Carrick's decent caretaker results and McKenna's good start at Ipswich). Apparently our players were brilliant, held back by novice coaching, and their potential was about to be unleashed under the Godfather of Gegenpressing and his Red Bull coaches. That aged well, didn't it?
I’m a bit of an ITK. It is the coaching. We have a team of 30 coaches all institutionalised by the dinosaur united way. All horrible to work with and unwilling to modify. They don’t want to use data or have any strategies whatsoever. Ralf and a few coaches couldn’t make a whole lot difference. I fear neither will Hag at first. However I’m hoping Ralf’s sussed this out and will consult us to rip it apart. Enabling us to transition quicker than if Ralf didn’t take the role in November.

Varun1

I’m a bit of an ITK. It is the coaching. We have a team of 30 coaches all institutionalised by the dinosaur united way. All horrible to work with and unwilling to modify. They don’t want to use data or have any strategies whatsoever. Ralf and a few coaches couldn’t make a whole lot difference. I fear neither will Hag at first. However I’m hoping Ralf’s sussed this out and will consult us to rip it apart. Enabling us to transition quicker than if Ralf didn’t take the role in November.
Are you being serious?

GazTheLegend

Yes, the old ways die HARD. That mentality of "it worked for us before!" isn't good enough, because in football as in anything, if you're standing still you're moving backwards. Look at Ian Graham at Liverpool and what data-driven analysis and statistical modelling has done for that club. We can do better.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
@Red_toad @dove @pcaming

It does, but so does the thought of more of mcfred. We can't out all the fires in 1 transfer window, some battles we have to make do. We still have Shaw, and the young FBs from the youth teams/loans.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Forcing somone on somebody as assistant coach on the sole premise that he was assistant manager at the club for three years, twenty years ago, would be madness. I mean, not ‘anyone making decisions at United must be mad’ mad, but like, really, clinically mad.

More likely then, that Ten Hag, who has worked under McClaren and knows what he stands for, wants it and gets what he wants.
All reliable reports over the last few months state that it's ten Hag that wants to bring McClaren in and one article even claimed that ten Hag had to push for United to hire him. No idea why people still think it's the other way round.

RuudTom83

Being on the outside it does appear that taking the extra time to appoint a manager has helped get things in order within the club.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Good decision I guess. No idea why someone would moan about that, time to give ETH some trust

I’m loving my life

I can’t post media but if you google ‘ steve mcclaren picks the QPR team’ and watch the animated video you can get an insight into what to expect from our new assistant

redmanx

ETH wanted McClaren.

Grande

Could you explain a bit more closely about 30 coaches who don’t want to have any strategies whatsoever? Sounds implausibly exaggerated to me, but I’m an OTK

AdNani

Could you explain a bit more closely about 30 coaches who don’t want to have any strategies whatsoever? Sounds implausibly exaggerated to me, but I’m an OTK
Probably tomorrow or the day after, he'll have to spend a bit of time to make it up i'd imagine