Steve McClaren | Yessh our new assistant coach

choccy77

Today I was reading how he is going to fix Rashford.

Says Rashfords mentally is poor and if he has a bad first half, he never has a better 2nd one.

Says he can make him better.

ryansgirl

Interesting that Steve Mac was quoted in the Manchester Evening News as saying that Marcus R has always had a tendency to drop his head - my words not his - when things go wrong on the pitch and can have second halves that reflect this.

I wonder if this means United aren`t going to stick with Marcus but have plans to sell him. I don`t want him to go but if that means United is better then so be it. Hopefully Ten Hag will challenge him to get out of his rut but no player is bigger than the club.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Interesting that Steve Mac was quoted in the Manchester Evening News as saying that Marcus R has always had a tendency to drop his head - my words not his - when things go wrong on the pitch and can have second halves that reflect this.

I wonder if this means United aren`t going to stick with Marcus but have plans to sell him. I don`t want him to go but if that means United is better then so be it. Hopefully Ten Hag will challenge him to get out of his rut but no player is bigger than the club.
We are going to offer rashford a bumper contract to protect "value" and he's going to make mclaren look like a clown. All this clean slate business is bollocks when it concerns serial offenders.

Brace for it.

UpWithRivers

I just came accross this and didnt see this in this thread. Interesting.....shows he knows that the players not playing for each other i.e downed tools and dont deserve the shirt. Also critical of McTominay unlike praising him at other times. So he definitely knows how fkn sht the players are - what are they going to do about it?

ti vu

I just came accross this and didnt see this in this thread. Interesting.....shows he knows that the players not playing for each other i.e downed tools and dont deserve the shirt. Also critical of McTominay unlike praising him at other times.
Iron hand in a velvet glove? He is no fool of the situation, but try to keep the lid on and work it out internally with ETH. I really hope so.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Managers from the outside tend to hire somebody from within that can give them an idea of the club, its culture, whom to talk to and how things are run. Usually clubs had people in place for that. Inter used to have Giuseppe Baresi who had covered every coaching role possible from scout right to U23 coach and assistant manager. United seem not to have that mainly because our coaching staff is crap + our former players tend to resign the moment they are not given a top spot.

In my opinion ETH had chosen the perfect man. Mclaren has managerial and assistant managerial experience, he knows United and the EPL inside out + he also know ETH system well. He's also a person from the outside as well which means that if United win a trophy the manager won't be asked if his assistant is ready to step up and take his place because, you know, mates and DNA. In my opinion ETH had been flawless till now. He came in early, he set everything in place and he promised change without throwing the current squad under the bus (which would have turned these pile of hot garbage against him from day 1). I like the guy

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We are going to offer rashford a bumper contract to protect "value" and he's going to make mclaren look like a clown. All this clean slate business is bollocks when it concerns serial offenders.

Brace for it.
This is exactly what I think.
And if we do offer him (a player who simply isn't good enough) a new contract, then that proves that nothing has changed and that we will continue to hang onto mediocre players.
The mediocre players have to be sold. Many fans probably won't like it, but it's players like Rashford which are preventing the club from challenging for trophies. I think he peaked when he was very young - the year that Jose left and Ole joined.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I just came accross this and didnt see this in this thread. Interesting.....shows he knows that the players not playing for each other i.e downed tools and dont deserve the shirt. Also critical of McTominay unlike praising him at other times. So he definitely knows how fkn sht the players are - what are they going to do about it?
Guys. This is not rocket science. Even us fans who have no insider knowledge know that the players aren't playing for each other. Ralf R has repeatedly stated as much. We also know the mentality is terrible. We also know that at board level we hand onto mediocre players as they are assets and have inherent financial value.

We know a lot of things and have done for quite some time.
The question is: is anything going to be done about it? I don't think so.

Withnail

Guys. This is not rocket science. Even us fans who have no insider knowledge know that the players aren't playing for each other. Ralf R has repeatedly stated as much. We also know the mentality is terrible. We also know that at board level we hand onto mediocre players as they are assets and have inherent financial value.

We know a lot of things and have done for quite some time.
The question is: is anything going to be done about it? I don't think so.
Do you not think that with all of the changes that have already happened, and the fact that more changes are in the works (Andy Mitten on the latest Talk of the Devils latest podcast said that there would be more turnover of staff over the Summer), means that something is being done about it?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Do you not think that with all of the changes that have already happened, and the fact that more changes are in the works (Andy Mitten on the latest Talk of the Devils latest podcast said that there would be more turnover of staff over the Summer), means that something is being done about it?
I found it fascinating on the last podcast where mitten just came out and said there are elements of this dressing room who just do not like each other - and even worse have zero respect for another. Yes, some of those will leave but he said not all of them will and that’s the biggest job. It’s been obvious to anyone with eyes as the season has progressed but the dressing room dynamic is completely broken.

Withnail

I found it fascinating on the last podcast where mitten just came out and said there are elements of this dressing room who just do not like each other - and even worse have zero respect for another. Yes, some of those will leave but he said not all of them will and that’s the biggest job. It’s been obvious to anyone with eyes as the season has progressed but the dressing room dynamic is completely broken.
Yeah it was interesting but he also made the point that players don't have to like each other. The old Andy Cole/Sheringham dynamic springs to mind. He may have even mentioned it, I can't remember.

When this are going this badly and the players don't believe in the system or the manager morale drops, cliques can form and everyone starts blaming everyone else. But this can be turned around quite quickly under a good management team. He has a lot of work to do but a lot are leaving, new faces will come in and he'll have to get everyone onside and believing in his system and pulling in the same direction. Ultimately, the players are professionals who want to play and want to win so he may need to make an example of a few bad apples but I'm optimistic he can turn it around and most will fall into line.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This is exactly what I think.
And if we do offer him (a player who simply isn't good enough) a new contract, then that proves that nothing has changed and that we will continue to hang onto mediocre players.
The mediocre players have to be sold. Many fans probably won't like it, but it's players like Rashford which are preventing the club from challenging for trophies. I think he peaked when he was very young - the year that Jose left and Ole joined.
To win silverware you not only need good players who can deliver consistently but also players won't crumble at the first sign of adversity. Rashford doesn't have that fighting tenacity in him, if we go a goal down his head drops.

CSMUFC90

Don’t seem to hear a lot about him, but makes me wonder how much of an impact he’s having, seems to be full of smiles on the bench/training photos! Can only be a good thing!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Don’t seem to hear a lot about him, but makes me wonder how much of an impact he’s having, seems to be full of smiles on the bench/training photos! Can only be a good thing!
He translates Hag and Gaag's instructions to the players.

tenpoless

He seems to be the reliable man behind the scene.
He knows the city and the club well so he sorts everything out for Ten Hag.
The era of bad cop and good cop is over.

Big Andy

Bloke
Apparently Ten Hag sees Steve McClaren and Van Der Gaag as equals. They're both assistant managers.

The two of them do training with Ten Hag overseeing.

He's far from a Mike Phelan.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Actually completely forgot he was at the club until I saw this thread.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

El Zoido

Today I was reading how he is going to fix Rashford.

Says Rashfords mentally is poor and if he has a bad first half, he never has a better 2nd one.

Says he can make him better.
Credit where due?

CallyRed

Out of interest, what do you want/expect to hear about him?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yes, not much chat about Shteve. I'd love to hear some honest player feedback about what he's doing on the training ground. My present instinct is to love everybody on the staff.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Unsung hero indeed. Whoever is training the lads is doing a good job. We don’t concede from set pieces anymore. We cross. Wide players come inside and attack the 6 yard box. Finishing, heading. Pressing. Running for each other. It’s all there.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Unsung hero indeed. Whoever is training the lads is doing a good job. We don’t concede from set pieces anymore. We cross. Wide players come inside and attack the 6 yard box. Finishing, heading. Pressing. Running for each other. It’s all there.
Palace and Barcelona aside. :nervous:

But yeah there was a point it felt every set piece was going in against us.