Steven Bergwijn

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Does he play on the right?
Nope, on the left. But United shouldn't go for Bergwijn. He might get to a United level someday, but he's not there yet at all. I personally think he's very talented, but talent alone is not enough to make it at the top. He needs to mature, and United shouldn't be the place to do that. He will just be another Memphis (all though I think he can be better).

IrishGlen

Does he play on the right?
He plays on the right for the Netherlands and did so against France & Germany recently. For PSV Eindhoven, I think they interchange him with Lozano. Granted, I don’t see a lot of PSV but against Ajax earlier in the season, he played on the RW while against Spurs & Inter in the CL, he was on the left. Maybe a PSV / Dutch football fan in general can tell us more but I’d imagine we’re seeking him for the right!

Zlatattack

It looks like PSV interchange between him and Lozano on the left and right. Both look very good players.

Canagel

Nope, on the left. But United shouldn't go for Bergwijn. He might get to a United level someday, but he's not there yet at all. I personally think he's very talented, but talent alone is not enough to make it at the top. He needs to mature, and United shouldn't be the place to do that. He will just be another Memphis (all though I think he can be better).
The only way it would make sense is if Sanchez is going. If he's versatile enough to play in fluid front three any position it would be worth punt as squad player but we're looking for someone to walk into the team straight away on the right. Anyhow he looks like one for the future.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You say that but its youngish attacking player having a productive season... he'll be easily over 30m with prices how they are. I guess it also depends on the future plans with Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata but also youngsters like Gomes, Chong, Greenwood. Gomes could definitely step into a bigger role IMO, and Greenwood seems primed to explode on to the scene and have a Rashford like ascent. Theres our squad players, sign the one top right sided player and we're set (in an ideal world it goes like this, we'll see how it pans out).
Personally I don't see both of Lukaku and Sanchez being here next season, and I also don't see Chong, Gomes, or Greenwood being Martial type players, not sure if this lad is either though.

Very apparent vs Burnley that we don't have a player like Martial to play as his backup and in this day and age 30m for a promising young player playing as backup is quite normal I would say.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Personally I don't see both of Lukaku and Sanchez being here next season, and I also don't see Chong, Gomes, or Greenwood being Martial type players, not sure if this lad is either though.

Very apparent vs Burnley that we don't have a player like Martial to play as his backup and in this day and age 30m for a promising young player playing as backup is quite normal I would say.
True. Doesn't have to be like for like though. I think Lukaku will stay but very likely Sanchez and Mata leave. Or at least one of Sanchez/lukaku leave. Might be hard to get rid of Sanchez's wages, but also might be hard for the club to cut Lukaku so soon with his fee/wages/lack of teams who could afford but also willing to spend whats needed.

As for the youngsters, Chong I dont really think will make it here, just seems a pace merchant, but Gomes clearly has loads of talent and can fill in on either wing or as a 10 once he develops more, while Greenwood can definitely if he develops be the sort of player who can play anywhere across the front 3 and be a goalscoring threat, but long term through the middle.

Martial, Rashford, new starter, Lingard, lukaku, Greenwood, Gomes seems like a good set of 7 players to play for 3 spots next season. When Greenwood and Gomes are so good as youngsters, whats the point in spending 40m for a squad player when we already have some senior options as squad players? Burnley was a bad game for some of them but not something that shows they cant cut it as squad players... we just didnt take our chances.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Came as a reply to this
#77 Report
Adisa
Looks slow over ten yards in the videos I've seen. Only reason I do not want
I know mate, it was just a figure of speech ;)

He plays on the right for the Netherlands and did so against France & Germany recently. For PSV Eindhoven, I think they interchange him with Lozano. Granted, I don’t see a lot of PSV but against Ajax earlier in the season, he played on the RW while against Spurs & Inter in the CL, he was on the left. Maybe a PSV / Dutch football fan in general can tell us more but I’d imagine we’re seeking him for the right!
It's exactly like you say. He was more of striker/CF who could also be used out wide when playing in the Ajax youth academy I think. As a professional he's been playing from the left, but also played quite a few matches from the right where he did excellent things as well. Goal against Feyenoord comes to mind.

Like some others including myself have said though, there's not really anything that suggests he's ready to be a Manchester United level player quite yet.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He'd cost a lot more than Memphis. The market has moved a lot since then.

Rozski

I don’t mean to hate but I really don’t see anything that special about him. I’ve seen a few videos the past few days and nothing he does excites me. Granted I have not seen him actually play but still. Depay ( who I think gets a lot of unfair hate on here ) looks and looked a lot better when he was at PSV and his videos got you excited. Steven on the other hand just does not do Anything particullary great besides being a very pacey forward. Depay was and is more skillful he is stronger and has a much better shot on him.

I mean just as an example if you look up a video of Gelson martins on YouTube he will put you on your feet more times then this guy and he ripped Marcelo to shreds in Madrid. He is not all that special right now considering he is not even playing in atlético but he showed a lot more promise then this guy. Steven has the luxury of playing in one of the top 2 team in the league who are miles above everyone else in the league and I’m not to sure he would shine if he was in a team of lesser quality in that league.

I know it sound like I’m hating but I am just going off of what I have seen and can compare too. If I am proven wrong in the future feel free to quote this haha.
I agree with this 100%. Maybe I’m missing something and I’d be perfectly happy for him to go on to be a great player but I just don’t see anything to get excited about from the videos I’ve seen. There are plenty of better prospects out there and we can afford to be shopping at the top of the pile not just whoever we find for 30M.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I agree with this 100%. Maybe I’m missing something and I’d be perfectly happy for him to go on to be a great player but I just don’t see anything to get excited about from the videos I’ve seen. There are plenty of better prospects out there and we can afford to be shopping at the top of the pile not just whoever we find for 30M.
The crazy thing is too...30M is just absurd for this kid it is way too much money and for 30M I can find 3 players who are better and I am not even a professional scout. Just throwing a name out their he is not a winger at all but Benfica have this kid named Joao Felix who is an absolute gem 18 Years of age and is currently starting for Benfica and I cant even try to hate the kid just genuinely impresses me and he is a very exciting prospect I guarantee he will be linked with United sooner rather then later....this coming from a Sporting fan.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The crazy thing is too...30M is just absurd for this kid it is way too much money and for 30M I can find 3 players who are better and I am not even a professional scout. Just throwing a name out their he is not a winger at all but Benfica have this kid named Joao Felix who is an absolute gem 18 Years of age and is currently starting for Benfica and I cant even try to hate the kid just genuinely impresses me and he is a very exciting prospect I guarantee he will be linked with United sooner rather then later....this coming from a Sporting fan.
I'm sure I've seen we have been linked recently
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ransfer-news-benfica-joao-felix-a8753911.html

SportingCP96

Supports
I'm sure I've seen we have been linked recently
Might of missed it but ya he will be in a big club sooner rather than later. Not like Renato Sanches who I never really rated from Benfica but this kid has bags and I mean bags of potential.

Alabaster Codify7

I just have a bad feeling about this. Don't know much about him but I just have a feeling he'd be another Fred - would sign for relatively big money but within a few months, would be behind Lingard in the pecking order and appearing fleetingly in cup games.

Bojan11

Can he dribble? I’m talking Hazard, Robben, Mane and Costa type dribbling. Not someone like depay who was hyped as the next Robben but when he got here he couldn’t dribble at all and his best position was through the centre.

deafepl

Can he dribble? I’m talking Hazard, Robben, Mane and Costa type dribbling. Not someone like depay who was hyped as the next Robben but when he got here he couldn’t dribble at all and his best position was through the centre.
Very gifted technically, he makes it look so simple with his dribble and good in the tight situation, unlike Mbappe that his dribble doesn't look so natural especially when he relies on pace for dribble.

SportingCP96

Supports
If you want a winger who can constantly beat a man I don't thing Bergwijn is the guy.

SAFMUTD

I've seen a few of PSV games since I'm Mexican and because of Hirving Lozano they broadcast PSV games for free here, I don't think he is good enough he is more of a speedster than a dribbler, most of his quality comes from speed and while in the Eredivise you can get away with that in the premier league it won't be enough.

The Eredivise is not what it used to be, right now there's a huge difference in the quality and level of the leagues. I would preffer to sign youngsters from France or Portugal rather than from the Eredivise. When was the last time a true talent came of from there? of course there are exceptions when you can see world class potential in youngsters like De Ligt or De Jong, but in my opinion Bergwijn is not close to that level.

Also, he plays on the left side where its currently Martial/Alexis place, there's no way he would get minutes there right now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I dont think most people who actually watched Depay at PSV genuinely thought he was a dribbler like Robben or anywhere naar as talenten in general honestly.

Bergwijn is a better dribbler than Depay, but nowhere near the likes of Robben or Hazard. Honestly dont see him as An improvement to Lingard really.

Really hope Im wrong though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's apparently broken his leg (calf) during the 5-0 win against Sittard today. Will be out for a long time if true.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Update: good news for him, it's not broken after all, but the severity of the injury is yet to be revealed by PSV.

Adcuth

Linked with spurs according to sky sports. Would deffo be a good signing for us, can play right or left side

ArjenIsM3

Played well for NL yesterday. Very impressive technical ability, especially his close control. Could be a good alternative to Sancho.

Champagne Football

Played well for NL yesterday. Very impressive technical ability, especially his close control. Could be a good alternative to Sancho.
With obviously no top 4, I think Bergwijn is a strong possibility with Sancho becoming more and more unlikely. A heck of a lot cheaper too.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I have to say I thought he looked a good player during the Nations League games back in June. The first time I've seen him play properly and he looked a lot more polished than the YouTube videos showed that had been posted previously.

Obviously I'm sticking to my guns and saying that Sancho is almost imperative if we want to be serious about transforming this team soon, but if we couldn't make that happen then I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Bergwijn.

Status
Not open for further replies.