Steven Bergwijn

Oranges038

Arjen Robben recently ran a marathon.

He'd still be a better punt than this guy.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It's so obvious this sort of rubbish would start. If we were going for Poch we would be linked to Danny Rose.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Jack Gaughan is a City correspondent, so i'm going to choose not to believe him. It seems like he's speculating due to Ajax attempting to sign the player in recent times.

ForeverRed1

If it works in his system then fine. We should know that going out and just buying superstars or big names doesn’t work. It’s not about individuals. If ETH can get him in a squad and playing the way he wants, go with it. Let him be a cog in the wheel.

On another note, why would Tottenham sell to us? Is he coming out of contract or ?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I’m not sure how good Bergwijn is, but if you’ve got a proper coach it might be that you sign more players like this and Ten Hag gets something out of him.

CM10

I don't necessarily doubt his quality as a player but he's another one who is more comfortable playing on the left than the right. We need someone who will cement that position on the right as their own, and I don't think that's Bergwijn.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He’s a decent player just had a bad run with form and injuries, nothing serious but just ones that seemed to set him back at moments when he appeared to be improving on the pitch. Has a good skill set but really needs to improve his finishing would overly upset to let him go tbh.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If it works in his system then fine. We should know that going out and just buying superstars or big names doesn’t work. It’s not about individuals. If ETH can get him in a squad and playing the way he wants, go with it. Let him be a cog in the wheel.

On another note, why would Tottenham sell to us? Is he coming out of contract or ?
We were trying to off load him to Ajax in January.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
maybe he doesn’t fit your system ? My point is we need to trust ETH if he comes in and if he wants this guy trust there’s a reason for it. He might feel he can get the very best out of him.
He suits our system fine, see my post above, since we signed him he as been in and out of form constantly and plagued with niggling injuries. He is quick and strong, technically good but he misses so many clear chances. He is decent and probably does have more potential ability than he is currently showing. I was just replying to your last sentence about why would we sell him. We have Son and Sessegnon who I think Conte fancies more.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Considering we need about 10-12 players replaced in the squad to have anything resembling a competitive side, I wouldn’t really mind us going after some of the cheaper, less exciting players to boost our squad options. He’s done much better in England than Sancho anyway. Spurs might have better options currently but I’m not even sure we do.

Bri McFlair!

Prepare for us being linked with everything from clogs to waffles between now and the end of eternity!

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
We United fans will likely have to accept there may be a few signings of this kind of profile this summer. Not saying this rumour is correct, but I'd actually be keen to see what Ten Hag could get out of a few players who aren't star performers at other clubs.

Look what Klopp got out of Wijnaldum for example, and Robertson. There were hardly ten other clubs fighting to buy those guys.

Loon

:lol:
I’m sure this guy meets the performance numbers and budget constraints for the Ajax recruitment system, but surely there’s an alternative with better performance numbers to be found in the United scouting network?

Zoo

We United fans will likely have to accept there may be a few signings of this kind of profile this summer. Not saying this rumour is correct, but I'd actually be keen to see what Ten Hag could get out of a few players who aren't star performers at other clubs.

Look what Klopp got out of Wijnaldum for example, and Robertson. There were hardly ten other clubs fighting to buy those guys.
Fair point but in this case Levy will turn it into a saga and will try to rinse United so it’s probably a no go.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Yep, fair point. We have many gaps to plug in the squad so the budget will need to be stretched. And we’ve long complained about the overpriced signing and wage policy we’ve adopted under Woodward. So I guess, let’s wait and see before passing judgement. Young(ish), hungry players, with pace and power (which were lacking in our squad), but most of all - fits into a system and has a good attitude and work rate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
people disregarding him would be very shocked how good he'd be under a dutch coach in a proper Dutch system
I think it's more the fact that Spurs won't let him join us cheaply. They'll charge us a premium and we'd be better looking elsewhere.

He's good but it's not like he's in Son's class etc. Look at Kulusevski, plenty of good players out there at other clubs that can take to the league.

Bondi77

He looked really good in the Dutch League and he has not looked that bad when playing for Spurs from what I have seen.

Red00012

We will be linked with every Dutch player there is for the next few months . Take no notice.

Jev

Wouldn't be totally opposed. We're going to need more depth, especially in attack with all the players leaving. They can't all cost 60 million, we'll need some cheapish signings, and there's definite potential there waiting to be unlocked.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think it's more the fact that Spurs won't let him join us cheaply. They'll charge us a premium and we'd be better looking elsewhere.

He's good but it's not like he's in Son's class etc. Look at Kulusevski, plenty of good players out there at other clubs that can take to the league.
He doesn't have to be Son class. He just has to be class in an E.T.H's system. Remember how a Dusan Tadic has looked in it for example. I agree that the only serious draw back is pricing

I don't necessarily doubt his quality as a player but he's another one who is more comfortable playing on the left than the right. We need someone who will cement that position on the right as their own, and I don't think that's Bergwijn.
Sancho is comfortable on the right though. Always has been. No one should be deceived by his first season with us.

Him thriving on the left for us happened by default. Because Mason had pretty much locked down the right before his life blew up. Then Rashford took a lengthy sabbatical from form on the left, making an opening for Sancho to grab with both hands. People rarely seem to notice on the left he has to slow down to cut in. Yet down the right he could just fly past people. Id not be surprised at all if E.T.H. put him back on the right and target the likes of Nkunku or Bergwijn to strengthen the left.

Last edited:

CM10

Sancho is comfortable on the right though. Always has been. No one should be deceived by his first season with us.

Him thriving on the left for us happened by default. Because Mason had pretty much locked down the right before his life blew up. Then Rashford took a lengthy sabbatical from form on the left, making an opening for Sancho to grab with both hands. People rarely seem to notice on the left he has to slow down to cut in. Yet down the right he could just fly past people. Id not be surprised at all if E.T.H. put him back on the right and target the likes of Nkunku or Bergwijn to strengthen the left.
Not saying he can't play on the right but it's obvious he prefers playing on the left. He often played that position for Dortmund and we've even shunted Rashford and Elanga to the right to accommodate Sancho on the left.

Going for another left winger when we already have an abundance of options there would be a mistake. It has to be a right winger, and I think it will be too.

Walters_19_MuFc

If ten Hag is a fan, which if rumours are to believed, he is, then I don't understand why this signing would be a problem.

Bergwijn, despite not pulling up any trees at Spurs, has always been a player I admired when at PSV. Not so much a direct winger, but a technical one. Someone who is good in tight spaces, links play well, has intelligent movement. That's normally evident to see when he gets that limited time for Spurs.

The fact that he doesn't get into the Spurs team means nothing to me. None of our attackers currently would.

If ten Hag wants this transfer, then I'd be all for it.

Not saying he can't play on the right but it's obvious he prefers playing on the left. He often played that position for Dortmund and we've even shunted Rashford and Elanga to the right to accommodate Sancho on the left.

Going for another left winger when we already have an abundance of options there would be a mistake. It has to be a right winger, and I think it will be too.
My point is he is excellent on either wing unlike the likes of Rashford. His thriving on the left with us created this perception he is some how better there or prefers to play there. Yet at his best he is like a Dembele, Coman, Luis Diaz or a Gnabry. He can play wide left and wide right with equal aptitude. And for my money, since I've followed him he is far more deadly on the right, where he never has to slow down to cut in nor rely on help from an over lapping fullback

And Insist the ONLY reason a Rashford was shifted to the left was his awful form. Same way Greenwood forced Sancho to find a home wide left

Tarrou

Actually a straight swap martial for berg would be fantastic.
we could be like that lad who swapped a paper click and kept swapping things until he had a house

in 4/5 swaps we could have a footballer

Judas

Open to offers
I’m not going to even pretend to be excited or enthusiastic about this idea, even if it’s true Eriky really wants him. The bloke seems to love to miss sitter after sitter.

CM10

My point is he is excellent on either wing unlike the likes of Rashford. His thriving on the left with us created this perception he is some how better there or prefers to play there. Yet at his best he is like a Dembele, Coman, Luis Diaz or a Gnabry. He can play wide left and wide right with equal aptitude. And for my money, since I've followed him he is far more deadly on the right, where he never has to slow down to cut in nor rely on help from an over lapping fullback

And Insist the ONLY reason a Rashford was shifted to the left was his awful form. Same way Greenwood forced Sancho to find a home wide left
If we do that it's inevitable there will come a time where we're shoehorning another left winger on the right. Whether you think Sancho is equally adept on either side or not, he won't play every game on the right.

I'm fed up of seeing square pegs in round holes. Besides, it's useful to have a player of a different profile. A left footed right winger would definitely be more beneficial for the balance of our squad.

Thiagoal

I mean this link is probably total fabrication however, I think we need to support the new manager and if he feels Bergwijn’s skill set would improve us as a team then he needs to be backed.

Who’d have thought that Georginio Wijnaldum, for instance, would become such an integral part of Klopps Liverpool side? Top managers can spot skill sets that will compliment and help build successful teams and we’ve put our trust in ETH to do that!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Why…..has our previous and current profiles been successful?
Yes we have identified the right kind of players already. Many of them have been good and would have been exceptional under the right footballing structure. Get a good manager first then the players will look twice as good to a man. We haven’t had a good manager in a decade.

Abraxas

I quite like him. A lot of pace and good ability. Seems to miss a lot of chances from what I've seen which would be a source of frustration. But I think the key is he's only 24 and has had a few injuries which have affected his consistency, which leads me to believe he can improve further.

Ultimately we are going to have to be pretty savvy this summer. We are not going to be spending 60 million on every signing. People need to be a little realistic, how are we funding a top striker, a top CM or 2, a top RW, a top RB etc. It isn't happening, we have to prioritise certain positions and be smart elsewhere - identify players that are value.

We have an awkward situation of needing bodies due to people leaving and also an influx of genuine quality. It is going to take some creative thinking. If Spurs want this guy out to fund their transfers, ETH rates him, and it allows us to blow our load on a top striker and mid, it makes a ton of sense.

If we do that it's inevitable there will come a time where we're shoehorning another left winger on the right. Whether you think Sancho is equally adept on either side or not, he won't play every game on the right.

I'm fed up of seeing square pegs in round holes. Besides, it's useful to have a player of a different profile........
The whole point is Sancho is NOT a square peg a in a round hole. That is narrative a myth championed by people who haven't really followed him that closely..

Besides, it's useful to have a player of a different profile. A left footed right winger would definitely be more beneficial for the balance of our squad.
That I agree with. Especially if we insist on inside out wingers