Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Gerrard plays a very similar style to Klopp so the idea he plays boring football is slightly bizarre.

Actually, it’s quite identical with constantly overlapping full backs, 3 hard working players in midfield and goals expected from the front 3. The main striker initially scored a lot of goals however recently has been more involved in the link up play. Morelos has improved his overall game however is guilty of missing a lot of chances.

He has left Rangers in a significantly better position than where he got them and stopped 10 in a row. He should be fondly remembered by those at Rangers regardless of how he has left.I’ll never be a fan of Gerrard personally but he’s done well up there.

It will be difficult to keep a hold of Kent, Kamara, Aribo, Morelos, Goldson and Tavernier.
The Europa league is where he should be judged. The performances were quite remarkable as they had to go through 2/3 rounds of qualifying before entering the group stages.
I think he will do a good job at Villa. Beale is a fantastic coach (could do with him at UTD)

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I wonder how Rangers and SPL fans feel. Both Brentan and now Stevie G both left posts when they were doing really well with their respective clubs. Leaving a club when you are winning titles to joining a mid-table PL club. Just goes to show where the SPL is right now. I don't want to use the phrase tin-pot, but...
I think it is more of an indication of where the Premier League is (£££) than anything else. Conte could have the pick of most sides challenging for the title in Italy or Spain, for example, yet has gone to a Europa Conference team in England.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Whats his track record with bringing through young players? Villa's got several excellent lads breaking through.
Going off transfermarkt for players aged 21 and under

18/19:
Ryan Kent (21 but turned 22 early into the season, on loan from Liverpool) - 3438 minutes all comps
Nikola Katic (21 but turned 22 early into the season, bought from Slaven Belupo) - 2500 minutes all comps
Joe Worrall (21, on loan from Forest) - 2740 minutes all comps
Ovie Ejaria (20, on loan from Liverpool) - approx 2000 minutes in half a season in all comps before loan was ended halfway through the season and he went to Reading
Ross McCrorie (20) - approx 1400 minutes in all comps
Glenn Middleton (18) - approx 1000 minutes in all comps

19/20:
Ianis Hagi (21, on loan from Genk) - approx 800 minutes
George Edmundson (21 but turned 22 mid August, bought from Oldham) - approx 1200 minutes

20/21:
Calvin Bassey (20, free transfer) - approx 700 minutes
Nathan Patterson (18) - 862 minutes

Might be others but they're the ones with okayish minutes. Ones not in spoilers were promoted from academy.

Moby

Dick
Notice you cut out my comment “trophies or no trophies”

…that made me chuckle
Because that was your own pov and not relevant for what we were discussing and what you replied to. It was the fact that a presenter chose the words 'he had massive success as a player' which started this discussion. We were literally only talking about how many trophies he had won in his career. Which barely screams 'massive success' to me.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Hopefully he flops and this can be the enjoyment I take from following the Premier League this season.

Rooney24

So after a poor run a club sack their manager over the international break, identify the replacement who is at another club, and go and get him anyway.

Its almost revolutionary. Probably wont catch on.

Deery

Dreary
4.5m I saw, just shows the difference in money available to PL clubs versus the rest. I'm genuinely intrigued by this appointment, Gerrard has actually achieved something to warrant a shot in the PL (unlike most ex players) and is apparently very hands on. Being ex Pool, I want him to fail drastically but it is nice to see more English coaches coming through.
Yep, Premier League is a different kettle of fish to everyone else, people asking why he’d leave Rangers now but fail to see Villa spending over £300m the last few transfer windows, the like of Rangers can only dream of that sort of money to spend.

Might sound crazy but if I were Gerrard I’d go for Wilfred Zaha in January, he wanted to leave already and could make up for Grealish’s goals and assists.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Scottish fans have already labelled the match between Villa and Leicester as el ratico

tomaldinho1

Yep, Premier League is a different kettle of fish to everyone else, people asking why he’d leave Rangers now but fail to see Villa spending over £300m the last few transfer windows, the like of Rangers can only dream of that sort of money to spend.

Might sound crazy but if I were Gerrard I’d go for Wilfred Zaha in January, he wanted to leave already and could make up for Grealish’s goals and assists.
Why would that be crazy? Although he’s very individualistic and I think they have good enough talent offensively, they just need to utilise Ings and Watkins properly.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Going off transfermarkt for players aged 21 and under

18/19:
Ryan Kent (21 but turned 22 early into the season, on loan from Liverpool) - 3438 minutes all comps
Nikola Katic (21 but turned 22 early into the season, bought from Slaven Belupo) - 2500 minutes all comps
Joe Worrall (21, on loan from Forest) - 2740 minutes all comps
Ovie Ejaria (20, on loan from Liverpool) - approx 2000 minutes in half a season in all comps before loan was ended halfway through the season and he went to Reading
Ross McCrorie (20) - approx 1400 minutes in all comps
Glenn Middleton (18) - approx 1000 minutes in all comps

19/20:
Ianis Hagi (21, on loan from Genk) - approx 800 minutes
George Edmundson (21 but turned 22 mid August, bought from Oldham) - approx 1200 minutes

20/21:
Calvin Bassey (20, free transfer) - approx 700 minutes
Nathan Patterson (18) - 862 minutes

Might be others but they're the ones with okayish minutes. Ones not in spoilers were promoted from academy.
@RedSky Not a lot to say one way or another. McRorie got plenty of time but probably wasn't quite good enough and is carving out a decent career for himself at Aberdeen. He's tried to gamble on a few kids from elsewhere with Hagi and Bassey the most successful so far. Patterson's the biggest prospect though and he's had some time but has the awkward task of unseating our captain and top assister/scorer in Tavernier at right-back. Basically if the quality is there I reckon age won't be an issue.

Deery

Dreary
Why would that be crazy? Although he’s very individualistic and I think they have good enough talent offensively, they just need to utilise Ings and Watkins properly.
Because of the price tag I suppose but it would be a statement signing and give them something they are missing on the left. I was thinking about Ings too and maybe Gerrard could get the best outa him and maybe Watkins.

Josh 76

Can’t wait to hear his post match interviews after they play Liverpool and Salah dives to win a last min penalty !

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure the Villa fans will accept him posting about Liverpool a lot on Instagram, so perhaps he should shelve that for a bit.

matt10000

At the end of the day he has chosen this as his profession now after his playing days. If he thinks this will be good for his career then good on him.

Rangers fans moaning that he said he wasn’t going anywhere, well he was hardly going to say ‘well I might if an opportunity comes along’. That would be unprofessional and detrimental to the team and club but everyone knows that managers and players have the right and will move for their careers.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Would you take Gerrard at United? Played for Liverpool like Sir Matt Busby. Started his managerial career by winning trophies in Scotland like Sir Alex Ferguson. Maybe he’s a hybrid of the two.

matt10000

Would you take Gerrard at United? Played for Liverpool like Sir Matt Busby. Started his managerial career by winning trophies in Scotland like Sir Alex Ferguson. Maybe he’s a hybrid of the two.
Could be wrong but I don’t think Liverpool were such big rivals when Sit Matt played for them and joined UTD

tomaldinho1

Because of the price tag I suppose but it would be a statement signing and give them something they are missing on the left. I was thinking about Ings too and maybe Gerrard could get the best outa him and maybe Watkins.
I think he's only got 18months on his deal so might not be that crazy - probably more of a summer signing

macheda14

If he proved himself to be a fantastic manager then yeh. It would also make Liverpool fans furious.

Sylar

On the one hand I want to see him get relegated but on the other I want him to just do well enough to con Liverpool into hiring him as manager and destroy any good work Klopp has done. He’s an even bigger legend to the scouse than Ole is to Utd and look at the amount of slack our fan base have cut him, he could have them in the relegation zone and they’d still back him. :lol:
Definitely the latter.

dinostar77

Fans really have become self entitled and deluded. Some villa fans are underwhelmed by Gerrard appointment. "What's he won? Titles in Scotland? That doesnt count."

Sounds like our lot on the Brendan Rodgers thread.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was just thinking about what the reaction would be if he took over at Chelsea. I don't think the fans would take to him, even if he came with all achievements and credentials in the world. Rafa was chased out of the club, and some Chelsea fans still hate/dislike him despite him not really being relevant at Chelsea's level for a long time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Was Gerrard manager of Rangers whilst accepting the offer for Aston Villa?

Like we want Ten Hag to leave Ajax mid season to join United?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
However he is as a manager, at least his career path makes sense. Starts at Rangers, impresses so gets a job at a solid premier league club before his obvious goal of being Liverpool manager. No manager should just go from nothing to the top level.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Where do Rangers go from here?
We have a squad set up to play a certain way and mid-season it doesn't allow us much room for a bedding-in transition period. So ideally someone who uses a similar tactical model. I would expect any appointment to align with the wider strategy in place with the DoF and he should have names of managers who can fit in without missing much of a beat. Van Bronckhorst is the favourite with the bookies, having had a successful spell with us as a player, is out of contract and also plays a fairly similar style of football. Lampard has been suggested as well and would, like Gio, would bring some of that big-name gravitas that Gerrard had for attracting new talent. I don't see many viable options in the Scottish managerial market to be honest.

Oranges038

frankly? I dont think Carra will hold back. If Stevie Me struggles Carra will be the first to admit that
Yeah he might admit that he's struggling, but will he openly call for him to be sacked like everyone wants the Utd lads to say it about Ole.

Real Name

We have a squad set up to play a certain way and mid-season it doesn't allow us much room for a bedding-in transition period. So ideally someone who uses a similar tactical model. I would expect any appointment to align with the wider strategy in place with the DoF and he should have names of managers who can fit in without missing much of a beat. Van Bronckhorst is the favourite with the bookies, having had a successful spell with us as a player, is out of contract and also plays a fairly similar style of football. Lampard has been suggested as well and would, like Gio, would bring some of that big-name gravitas that Gerrard had for attracting new talent. I don't see many viable options in the Scottish managerial market to be honest.
Lampard should take that job instead of Norwich if he's smart.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
No you can't, the manager needs to want to leave first, and then you pay his contract buyout clause - someone like ten Hag wouldn't want to leave Ajax midseason, due to respect already.

Yes, you can poach other's managers mid-season, but they need to want to leave themselves first.
Yes, because my post implied that you can employ managers against their will, didn’t it?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Does this mean Rangers fans will finally stop spraying painting "A legend in liverpool, a god in glasgow" everywhere now?

Noc-Z

ffs
Big risk by Villa. Hard to be at all confident that some modest success in Scotland and the Europa league will translate to succeeding in the Premier League. There's people talking as if this is a stepping stone to the Liverpool job, as if it's his God given destiny. Well he may ultimately want that job but to me there's only a slim chance he will ever get it. Heard a Villa fan say, if he's with us five years and delivers a trophy in that time before moving onto Liverpool that will be fine! What are the chances that Villa will win a trophy under Gerrard? Quite slim I'd say, and that's no criticism of Gerrard really, it reflects the level of competition. And 3.5 years (contract)/5 years (what Villa fan said) whatever, he probably won't be in the job that long. If he is a success, he will be wanted and move on before that, if he isn't he will be replaced. Would you bet your life savings on Gerrard being a success at Villa and eventually taking over at Liverpool? I wouldn't! My prediction is that he has an unsuccessful or highly average tenure, probably doesn't see out his contract and never takes the managers job at Liverpool. But who knows, I could be 100% wrong. Time will tell.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A whole different thing to take a team at mid-season. He won't have much time for tactical training and patterns training either, so will have to stick with the mechanisms the players already have and try to add some personal input on them.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I think it is more of an indication of where the Premier League is (£££) than anything else. Conte could have the pick of most sides challenging for the title in Italy or Spain, for example, yet has gone to a Europa Conference team in England.
He is done in Italy for the time being… for all his greatness as a coach, he is just too polarising and controversial: you can jump ship once (Juve), even twice (Italy), but after the third (Inter), every fool and his dog understand you are just your own, self-centred master, if not a blatant nutter.

As for Spain, insiders say that Real rejected him twice in recent years… once were their players, then was the president. He cannot complain, really. Football is still a social / plural venture, and if you are not able to work properly within contrasting interests in difficult times, then you are probably the cause of your own demise?

Levi1

So after a poor run a club sack their manager over the international break, identify the replacement who is at another club, and go and get him anyway.

Its almost revolutionary. Probably wont catch on.
Hmm :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
@RedSky Not a lot to say one way or another. McRorie got plenty of time but probably wasn't quite good enough and is carving out a decent career for himself at Aberdeen. He's tried to gamble on a few kids from elsewhere with Hagi and Bassey the most successful so far. Patterson's the biggest prospect though and he's had some time but has the awkward task of unseating our captain and top assister/scorer in Tavernier at right-back. Basically if the quality is there I reckon age won't be an issue.
Cheers, it'll be interesting to see if he gives any of them a go. They've got some fantastic talent coming through playing for England right now. Smith for whatever reason was hesistant to give them a shot other than in the cups.