Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Suarez has massively declined physically. He should stay in La Liga rather. That suits his current version more.

He'll be completely exposed in the Premier League currently.

Still remember him being firmly in Rudiger's pocket a few months back. He has been awful in the CL for years now. Shadow of his former self but can do still do a job in La Liga.

Saw some sources linking him to the MLS too so that might be another option for him.

Litch

Not easy to say it but he looks the real deal. I think he’s managed (excuse the pun) his career well to date and can see him at Liverpool or England at some point.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Gotta say I'm very impressed with Gerrard. It certainly looks like he has what it takes to be a good manager. Much, much more impressive than the likes of Lampard as an example.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Shadow of his former self but can do still do a job in La Liga.

Saw some sources linking him to the MLS too so that might be another option for him.
On this season's evidence, he can't hack in Spain anymore. I think MLS or South America should be his next stop. Or Middle-East

Litch

Gotta say I'm very impressed with Gerrard. It certainly looks like he has what it takes to be a good manager. Much, much more impressive than the likes of Lampard as an example.
Sadly or Ole….Lampard and Ole, was like Gerrard walking into Anfield after Rangers. Both should have proven they could compete and win stuff even if it was taking a team to the play offs….

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Sadly or Ole….Lampard and Ole, was like Gerrard walking into Anfield after Rangers. Both should have proven they could compete and win stuff even if it was taking a team to the play offs….
Gerrard winning the league with Rangers in a two team league, is less of an achievement than Ole winning Molde back to back Norwegian league titles, with a club that had never won the league in their 100 year history.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Don't care about rivalries, we should be doing everything we can to get him here.

The past is the past, none of that matters, I don't even turn my head because I don't believe in looking back.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Needs a win today, lost three and drawn one in their last 4 matches.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
On this season's evidence, he can't hack in Spain anymore. I think MLS or South America should be his next stop. Or Middle-East
Yeah. I guess he can still be a decent squad player in La Liga for a year.

Initially, I thought he would age well because he didn't really rely on speed and stuff and strikers these days seem to have a long shelf life.

But in his last few seasons at Barcelona the decline was obvious. He looked very clunky and was consistently ghosting in UCL games.

Last edited:

Litch

Gerrard winning the league with Rangers in a two team league, is less of an achievement than Ole winning Molde back to back Norwegian league titles, with a club that had never won the league in their 100 year history.
Behave, not even close. I think the fact that he has the opportunity to manage Villa, a team he has no relationship as a player with tells you everything. Achievements are often about managing expectation, Molde are very low, Rangers are massive….

izec

Behave, not even close. I think the fact that he has the opportunity to manage Villa, a team he has no relationship as a player with tells you everything. Achievements are often about managing expectation, Molde are very low, Rangers are massive….
Plus What Ole has done at Molde 10 years ago is not relevant now. After that, he relegated Cardiff and didnt win anything at Molde in his second stint. He peaked early.

Jose being the best 10 years ago is irrelevant nowadays when you didnt move on, while everyone else has stepped up and football has changed. You need to find methods to still be successful.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Molde had never won the league before Ole though. From 2000 - 2010 Rosenborg had won 8 league titles, they were the best and are the biggest team in Norway by a mile.

How difficult is it really to win the Scottish league, when there is only one other team to compete with, especially as Rangers have a lot of resources.
Celtic started to decline after Brendan Rogers left as well.

Plus What Ole has done at Molde 10 years ago is not relevant now. After that, he relegated Cardiff and didnt win anything at Molde in his second stint. He peaked early.

Jose being the best 10 years ago is irrelevant nowadays when you didnt move on, while everyone else has stepped up and football has changed. You need to find methods to still be successful.
Any manager in the world would have relegated Cardiff, Klopp got relegated with Mainz, that means nothing.

He didn't win anything with Molde in the second stint, but like I said above, Rosenborg are by far the biggest club in Norway. Ole at least won back to back league titles and the Norwegian cup. Gerrard didn't win back to back titles and won none of the cups.

Ole did finish 2nd with United by the way, which is clearly a good achievement for the man who relegated Cardiff.

My point being, winning the league title in a farmers league means feck all, look at some of the manager names that have won the SPL, most of them are nothing managers at best.

Judging Gerrard as a manager mainly based on one season in a farmers league with only one team to contend with is nothing that special.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Midfielders make the best managers.

Gerrard and Carrick wouldn't surprise me for English Midfielders becoming decent English Midfielders.

Rooney would maybe aswell due to him playing like a CAM as part of his game.

ForeverRed1

I know I’m a minority but I quiet like Gerrard. Was a top player and always made games against them interesting. Doing well as a manager at a club I like. Hated him when playing us of course.. but that’s just football terms, seems like a top bloke.

Litch

Molde had never won the league before Ole though. From 2000 - 2010 Rosenborg had won 8 league titles, they were the best and are the biggest team in Norway by a mile.

How difficult is it really to win the Scottish league, when there is only one other team to compete with, especially as Rangers have a lot of resources.
Celtic started to decline after Brendan Rogers left as well.

Any manager in the world would have relegated Cardiff, Klopp got relegated with Mainz, that means nothing.

He didn't win anything with Molde in the second stint, but like I said above, Rosenborg are by far the biggest club in Norway. Ole at least won back to back league titles and the Norwegian cup. Gerrard didn't win back to back titles and won none of the cups.

Ole did finish 2nd with United by the way, which is clearly a good achievement for the man who relegated Cardiff.

My point being, winning the league title in a farmers league means feck all, look at some of the manager names that have won the SPL, most of them are nothing managers at best.

Judging Gerrard as a manager mainly based on one season in a farmers league with only one team to contend with is nothing that special.
My view remains the same and ironically our issue. It’s the expectation and the weight that comes with it that makes any achievement somewhat different than Ole at Molde. Ole got the sack from Utd cause the results didn’t match the club and fans expectations even though he had some success. That’s my point…..

soapythecat

Liked him at Rangers and think he’s doing great stuff in these early days at Villa. I care little for him as a Liverpool player because he’s showing how good he is at management. Speaks and acts like a real leader.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Thry sacked a better manager than him. Big mistake.
Up to 10th from 16th and near relegation when he took over. Just went through possibly the hardest part of his season and moved up six places. Big mistake. :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I know I’m a minority but I quiet like Gerrard. Was a top player and always made games against them interesting. Doing well as a manager at a club I like. Hated him when playing us of course.. but that’s just football terms, seems like a top bloke.
Shhhhh

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Midfielders make the best managers.

Gerrard and Carrick wouldn't surprise me for English Midfielders becoming decent English Midfielders.

Rooney would maybe aswell due to him playing like a CAM as part of his game.
Klopp, Tuchel, Pochettino, ... were defenders. Mourinho barely played at all. I don't think it makes that much of a difference, if you could read the game well as a defender or striker, you can be a good manager. And it's as much about understanding football as it is being good as man management and bringing over your ideas to a group of people, not everyone can translate that.

mancsarered

Think his success at Rangers is massively over-hyped. He was repeatedly knocked out of cup competitions by far inferior sides, and only won the league when Celtic became an absolute mess internally. 1 domestic trophy out of the possible 6.

If he continues to get results at Villa for more than the short term, that'll be a much clearer sign of his managerial ability.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I know, I know. I probably shouldn’t admit that but he does come across like a fairly decent bloke. I did say though, on the pitch is another matter:D
He's referring to the use of the word 'quiet' rather than 'quite'.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thry sacked a better manager than him. Big mistake.
We didn't.

Dean Smith did overall very well for us and I really hope he keeps Norwich up but he reached his level with us and even debatable if we'd ever have finished top 10 with him in charge.

With Gerrard the mentality at the club is slowly changing and Martinez committing for another five years shows our top players are loving working with him as he could easily sign for CL club as he's been that good for us.

I think we should finish top 10 this season, perhaps aim for 8th and then next season with likes of Coutinho perhaps in permanently aim for top 6 which will be hard but not impossible.

We'd have never got Coutinho with DS as manager either.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Congratulations, it was a kick of the ball. I can do it in high heels shoes. Does that mean I still got it?

Bit arogant Steve Me la, if you ask me.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Freakish timeline where we have Manchester United fans “warming” to Steven Gerrard. Feck that bastard