Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
People are lauding this as some miracle.
He might come in and do well. Its a matter of time before he gets sacked.

Aside from that I was glad the prick was in Scotland so I didn't have to look at his smug face. Now he's back we'll be looking at his mush for a month while sky wank themselves silly over him.

He's still a prick and he'll always be a prick regardless of what he does as a manager

TheLiverBird

Big risk by Villa. Hard to be at all confident that some modest success in Scotland and the Europa league will translate to succeeding in the Premier League. There's people talking as if this is a stepping stone to the Liverpool job, as if it's his God given destiny. Well he may ultimately want that job but to me there's only a slim chance he will ever get it. Heard a Villa fan say, if he's with us five years and delivers a trophy in that time before moving onto Liverpool that will be fine! What are the chances that Villa will win a trophy under Gerrard? Quite slim I'd say, and that's no criticism of Gerrard really, it reflects the level of competition. And 3.5 years (contract)/5 years (what Villa fan said) whatever, he probably won't be in the job that long. If he is a success, he will be wanted and move on before that, if he isn't he will be replaced. Would you bet your life savings on Gerrard being a success at Villa and eventually taking over at Liverpool? I wouldn't! My prediction is that he has an unsuccessful or highly average tenure, probably doesn't see out his contract and never takes the managers job at Liverpool. But who knows, I could be 100% wrong. Time will tell.
Of course it’s a stepping stone

What else is it?

He’s even said he’d love to manage Liverpool one day.

It’s not a god given destiny for him, no is saying it is either, it’s just pretty obvious that’s where he wants to eventually go.

Same as Lampard wanting to eventually go to Chelsea, unfortunately for him, he went there way too soon, and although he’d done well with Derby in a tough league (much tougher than the SPL) I’m getting them to the play offs after, he hadn’t really pulled trees up to earn the Chelsea position yet.

No one is calling Gerrard and elite manager, or even a top manager yet, well atleast no one with any sense about them. But what Gerrard has done at Rangers, his first appointment, has been a very positive start in his managerial career, winning the league, and decent spell in Europe, which IMO was more of a true gage of his management.

Positive movements forward earns you opportunities, voila A Villa.

Let’s see how he does. If he turns them into a force like what Leicester have been in recent years and the current West Ham, with a possible decent few cup runs, you bet that Liverpool job will be there for him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Gerrard and Lampard reunited in a midfield battle for Villa Vs Norwich in the relegation battle, please let it happen! :lol:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The thing about football managers is they are destined to get sacked. So I will patiently wait for Slippy G's time to come. That being said, the other bizarre thing about football managers is how they are able to walk straight into another club.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The thing about football managers is they are destined to get sacked. So I will patiently wait for Slippy G's time to come. That being said, the other bizarre thing about football managers is how they are able to walk straight into another club.
And get showered with sympathy when a deserved sacking arises.

Latest case in point, Steve Bruce.

ariveded

Got to envy the top 1% footballers. Their name alone brings them new opportunities.

Also, it shows the lack of depth in managerial world. We know squad depth, but there is a lack of new talented manager.

Acole9

Outstanding
I think he'll do well there. A much harder task than the Rangers job.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Got to envy the top 1% footballers. Their name alone brings them new opportunities.

Also, it shows the lack of depth in managerial world. We know squad depth, but there is a lack of new talented manager.
Yeah, but they're quickly discarded if they dont make use of those opportunities.

JuriM

It's safe to say, that this kind of hate some of you plead here, I would never understand - whether he was rival club Legend or not.

Wish him well

Noc-Z

ffs
Of course it’s a stepping stone

What else is it?

He’s even said he’d love to manage Liverpool one day.

It’s not a god given destiny for him, no is saying it is either, it’s just pretty obvious that’s where he wants to eventually go.

Same as Lampard wanting to eventually go to Chelsea, unfortunately for him, he went there way too soon, and although he’d done well with Derby in a tough league (much tougher than the SPL) I’m getting them to the play offs after, he hadn’t really pulled trees up to earn the Chelsea position yet.

No one is calling Gerrard and elite manager, or even a top manager yet, well atleast no one with any sense about them. But what Gerrard has done at Rangers, his first appointment, has been a very positive start in his managerial career, winning the league, and decent spell in Europe, which IMO was more of a true gage of his management.

Positive movements forward earns you opportunities, voila A Villa.

Let’s see how he does. If he turns them into a force like what Leicester have been in recent years and the current West Ham, with a possible decent few cup runs, you bet that Liverpool job will be there for him.
He may have said he'd love to manage Liverpool one day but that doesn't mean it will happen, so it's only a stepping stone of it leads somewhere better if he fails it won't be a stepping stone.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I wonder how Rangers and SPL fans feel. Both Brentan and now Stevie G both left posts when they were doing really well with their respective clubs. Leaving a club when you are winning titles to joining a mid-table PL club. Just goes to show where the SPL is right now. I don't want to use the phrase tin-pot, but...
Who wouldn't change jobs for a significant pay-rise? :confused:

This really isn't the put-down you thought it was.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Who wouldn't change jobs for a significant pay-rise? :confused:

This really isn't the put-down you thought it was.
So true, it's all about the money, especially for ex footballer and millionaire Stevie G.

Ad Brenton too, the money was simply too good to turn down, he might have not got another top job. It was worth leaving Celtic for, even if it was at the cost of sealing his legacy with a domestic treble treble.

Hughie77

Well according to his bum chum D Murphy, there's no need for him to go to Villa, he's that good a manager it's not needed he should wait and go straight to the scum after klopp.

I don't know how he will do but the Scottish league is way off the Premier league. He's got a good group of players time will tell how he goes.
But I bet he gets a few wins under his belt and then he's the second coming he'll be the new fecking Shankley, Ohh Souness will come out with some old crap from his player kicking days, he reminds me of Paisley etc etc .

Then he get the normal results and performance finish in the same spot as Dean Smith would have and they be saying what was the point in sacking the guy who would have done the same.

Andersonson

He didn't. He almost allowed an Aberdeen side managed by a Badger to pip him to the title.
But he didn't allow it though. Everything went badly for Celtic after he left.
He has still proven more than the ambitious Gerrard.

Not saying Deila is cut for the premier league, far from it, but if appointing Gerrard is seen as a ambitious move... Well if anything, it's a gamble

Glaswegian

But he didn't allow it though. Everything went badly for Celtic after he left.
He has still proven more than the ambitious Gerrard.

Not saying Deila is cut for the premier league, far from it, but if appointing Gerrard is seen as a ambitious move... Well if anything, it's a gamble
Everything went badly? Brendan Rodgers was bad?

Deila was an abject failure. Rangers were liquidated, no challenge in the league yet almost allowed Aberdeen to the championship, rotten European performances and an abysmal record in the cups.

Deila's legacy was giving younger players a chance which Rodgers benefitted from.

Josh 76

People are lauding this as some miracle.
He might come in and do well. Its a matter of time before he gets sacked.

Aside from that I was glad the prick was in Scotland so I didn't have to look at his smug face. Now he's back we'll be looking at his mush for a month while sky wank themselves silly over him.

He's still a prick and he'll always be a prick regardless of what he does as a manager
Great post

meninred

A clear and obvious career path for gerard Rangers ------ Aston villa ------ Liverpool ( when klopp leaves)

Green_Red

I think he's made a mistake here. He should have stayed at rangers and built a reputation for himself. Nobody down south has any respect for the SPL. This is literally Molde level. They face each other most years in the CL qualifiers. Championship level, just about? Being honest? He could have had the Liverpool job, now he's going to have to pull a rabbit our of the hat with Villa. Congrats Stevie Me.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
So true, it's all about the money, especially for ex footballer and millionaire Stevie G.

Ad Brenton too, the money was simply too good to turn down, he might have not got another top job. It was worth leaving Celtic for, even if it was at the cost of sealing his legacy with a domestic treble treble.
It's always about money. Why do you think a bang average club like Newcastle will be able to get just about any player in the world if they really want them? Money talks. Granted, there's also the Liverpool factor where Gerrard will need to make some kind of mark in England if he wants any chance at that after Klopp leaves which will have been extra motivation.

It isn't as simple as 'lol, SPFL bad' because if that were the case, how could they ever even have attracted guys like him and Rodgers in the first place?

And Brendan's legacy was already sealed at Celtic after he delivered back to back trebles and an undefeated season. He threw all of that in the bin, right enough.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I think he's made a mistake here. He should have stayed at rangers and built a reputation for himself. Nobody down south has any respect for the SPL. This is literally Molde level. They face each other most years in the CL qualifiers. Championship level, just about? Being honest? He could have had the Liverpool job, now he's going to have to pull a rabbit our of the hat with Villa. Congrats Stevie Me.
So no one in England has any respect for Scottish football but he should've stayed at this terrible level and built a reputation for himself and Liverpool (in England btw...) would've came and snapped him up? How does that work? :lol:

Green_Red

So no one in England has any respect for Scottish football but he should've stayed at this terrible level and built a reputation for himself and Liverpool (in England btw...) would've came and snapped him up? How does that work? :lol:
Celtic wanted to hire Eddy Howe. The ex manager of Bournemouth turned them down. Bournemouth. At least if he stayed with Rangers he'd have built some sort of reputation for being able to challenge for titles and building a title winning side. He was nailed on as next Liverpool manager, everyone bar you knows that. He'll fail at Villa and miss his chance. I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to seeing him fail at Liverpool.

Have the balls to stay at Rangers and crash out of the Europa League to Sparta Prague with dignity.

Frank Grimes

I want to see him have a bit of a disaster at Villa if only for Carragher to squirm when he realises he's going to have to call for his head or look like a hypocrite for his attitude towards Neville's Solskjaer stance.