Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Forget the moronic behaviour of the fans - in the middle of a pandemic and a country in lockdown - for a second, and just marvel at how there’s few things like football to get so many people emotionally charged and pumped.

I can’t wait for football with fans again. It’s going to be bloody brilliant.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Forget the moronic behaviour of the fans - in the middle of a pandemic and a country in lockdown - for a second, and just marvel at how there’s few things like football to get so many people emotionally charged and pumped.

...until they have to watch three 0-0s on the trot. The best part will be going to the pub before the match.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At home now in the league, he has guided Rangers to:

16 games
16 wins
47 goals
2 conceded.

Remarkable achievement.
Wow, that's unreal numbers. Looks like next Liverpool manager.

Anduin

Love it. Feck the pandemic, so sick of missing out on this every week. Well deserved for Rangers, and respect for Gerrard’s work at Ibrox. Finally got his hands on a league trophy, the prick :lol:

UpWithRivers

Im not a Rangers or a Gerrard fan but in terms of being a football fan I feel for the Rangers fans with the lockdown. Its an absolute travesty.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
At least as good and probably better when you consider the last 10 years and how far ahead Celtic were.
Celtic's collapse has been absolutely spectacular, tbf. His record in the European games is probably where you need to look, which is pretty good tbf.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Celtic's collapse has been absolutely spectacular, tbf. His record in the European games is probably where you need to look, which is pretty good tbf.
I know sod all about Scottish football but a check on google tells me that they've been finishing in the 60s (points) for the last few years and this season have 88 points with 28 wind and 4 draws. That's mental.

Carl

I know sod all about Scottish football but a check on google tells me that they've been finishing in the 60s (points) for the last few years and this season have 88 points with 28 wind and 4 draws. That's mental.
Mate of mine is a massive Rangers fan. They've been great, but there's been zero challenge from Celtic.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
At least as good and probably better when you consider the last 10 years and how far ahead Celtic were.
Not sure about that!
Rangers have been spending money for the past 5 years to get to this point, their spending in comparison to other teams in Scotland is very high. Even compared to Celtic.
Not belittling what Gerrard has achieved as he's done it in style, but it's almost to be expected with the consistent outlay recently, also Celtics implosion has gone someway to making it easy for them.

MU655

Mate of mine is a massive Rangers fan. They've been great, but there's been zero challenge from Celtic.
Rangers have still won it through merit, though. Even if Celtic were like the last three seasons, they would have a very tough time topping that.

If Rangers were only getting similar points to last season but winning the league, I could understand people not giving Gerrard a lot of credit. But their points total could be ridiculous with the way they are going.

MU655

Not sure about that!
Rangers have been spending money for the past 5 years to get to this point, their spending in comparison to other teams in Scotland is very high. Even compared to Celtic.
Not belittling what Gerrard has achieved as he's done it in style, but it's almost to be expected with the consistent outlay recently, also Celtics implosion has gone someway to making it easy for them.
Then why have they suddenly become so good this season? It is not like how we were previoisly second due to Liverpool's collapse. Celtic at their best would have a hard time beating what Rangers have been doing under Gerrard.

They have lost one game al season (Scottish Cup). Even in the Europa League, their doing better than they have for a very long time.

In the end, I think spending has helped, but Gerrard has really raised the bar there. He has done a fantastic job, to be fair.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
But isn’t the point that Rangers are a traditional power player in Scottish football whereas Molde were no marks in Norway?

The point I was thrusting at is that it’s interesting how Ole’s previous achievements are largely dismissed as farmer league fare, but the likes of Gerrard and Lampard (at Derby) are given massive credit.

I hope Gerrard gets the Pool job.

Carl

But isn’t the point that Rangers are a traditional power player in Scottish football whereas Molde were no marks in Norway?

The point I was thrusting at is that it’s interesting how Ole’s previous achievements are largely dismissed as farmer league fare, but the likes of Gerrard and Lampard (at Derby) are given massive credit.

Me too. Hoping his excellent season combined with Liverpool's terrible one will make the club pull the trigger and get him in.

how many times had Molde won the league before OGS, and how many times have Rangers?

How much money have Rangers been able to throw at the problem over the last few years?

I don’t think the two achievements are remotely similar.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Then why have they suddenly become so good this season? It is not like how we were previoisly second due to Liverpool's collapse. Celtic at their best would have a hard time beating what Rangers have been doing under Gerrard.

They have lost one game al season (Scottish Cup). Even in the Europa League, their doing better than they have for a very long time.

In the end, I think spending has helped, but Gerrard has really raised the bar there. He has done a fantastic job, to be fair.
As I say, I'm not belittling what he's done.
But when Scottish football is on its knees in terms of finance, so many clubs haven't spent anything on improving their playing staff since last season due to the pandemic for example, yet Ranger have, it's easy to see where the big jump has happened.
Especially with Celtics drop off in quality which has ably assisted them even more.

tayside red

I take my hat off to SG, when he appeared at the press conference the day he was given the Rangers job, I thought this will be a laugh.
I couldn't have been more wrong, he came across with confidence and talked a great game, not bullshit or arrogance, just a good football brain and awareness of the sleeping giant he had now been given control of.
He changed my attitude towards him, along with his backroom team they have transformed Rangers into a winning machine.
They are doing great in Europe, I was actually fearing us getting them in the last Europa draw, they're probably not at our level, when we are on a good day, but we have so many bad days, they may have just beaten us...Aaagggghhh

Reactions: Cheimoon

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

99% of the English media have probably never seen a single Norwegian league match. The SPL and Championship get a ton of coverage and have done forever.

It's kinda understandable that Ole doesn't get much credit, nobody in the media has a clue if what he did was easy or hard and probably only knows that he did win in Norway because they read it on Wikipedia.

Tarrou

him going to Liverpool and being class is my worst nightmare

starting to get a bit worried now

Feed Me

I'm hungry
99% of the English media have probably never seen a single Norwegian league match. The SPL and Championship get a ton of coverage and have done forever.

It's kinda understandable that Ole doesn't get much credit, nobody in the media has a clue if what he did was easy or hard and probably only knows that he did win in Norway because they read it on Wikipedia.
Not having a pop at you but that is an absolutely shocking excuse. The job of the media is to be clued up on this sort of stuff, doing the requisite research if they are not familiar with the facts. In any case, Molde went into Europe and performed very creditably, so there was plenty of ‘mainstream’ evidence for the job he did.

Lampard essentially failed with Derby, and then came into Chelsea and finished below Ole, and then got sacked, and I would wager that most people still think Lampard has a ‘higher ceiling’ or other such bollocks that seems to pervade modern football discourse.

Has Gerrard done a very good job? Indisputably. But he’s also won a league that one of only two teams can realistically compete for. And one of them has been a shambles this season. I’m all for the hype train, though, provided it alights at Anfield.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not having a pop at you but that is an absolutely shocking excuse. The job of the media is to be clued up on this sort of stuff, doing the requisite research if they are not familiar with the facts. In any case, Molde went into Europe and performed very creditably, so there was plenty of ‘mainstream’ evidence for the job he did.
Its not an excuse, it's an explanation. The English football media are a bunch of clueless hacks and I'm shocked that you are shocked at their shitness.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
him going to Liverpool and being class is my worst nightmare

starting to get a bit worried now
This.

Him going there and being a disaster ala Souness in the early ‘90s would be fantastic from a United fan’s perspective but there’s every chance he will make a decent fist of it, IMO. I think he’d do better with Liverpool than Lampard did with Chelsea and Solskjaer has with United. His work with their youth/reserves sides before his Rangers move must be noted, too. He knows lots of their youngsters very well (Alexander-Arnold, Jones, Elliott etc.)

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I think his point is that Liverpool doing well is bad enough, but the same outcome with Gerrard in charge makes it even worse from our perspective.
Oh, without question. But I don’t see him going there and doing anything remarkable. Liverpool struck gold getting the Coutinho money and making three brilliant decisions in Becker, VVD and Fabinho.

They also did amazing work compiling the front three for the prices they did, and Klopp is a class manager. It was a perfect storm scenario.

Gerrard would be taking over a club in need of a rebuild, which he has done at Rangers tbf, but he had a lot of financial backing in relative terms for Scotland, and that doesn’t look as though it’d be the case with FSG.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Is he realistically a downgrade on Klopp? Yes, quite substantially so.
Absolutely, he is.

However, what worries me is his ability to take your pretty standard player and have them performing week by week. Klopp done this with Henderson and Gerrard seems to get the best out of his team.

He also plays a very similar style with the press, shape and formation with 3 hard working midfielders and overlapping fullbacks. His integration into the managers role at Liverpool is almost being tested at Rangers and he’s absolutely flying with them.

I wouldn’t be as worried if he was performing in SPL but he’s taking this Rangers team into Europe. Players like Arfield and Davis were standard players in the EPL who were past their best, not anymore they’re not. They’re players going away to places like Porto, Benfica, Braga, Anderlecht and Antwerp and getting results.

I have a really bad feeling about Gerrard. He had that ability as a player to raise others games around him. Now he’s doing it as a manager and he seems very good tactically. I must admit I am slightly worried. He’s not ready yet but he’s far more suited to replace Klopp in terms of ability to rebuild, keep the same style and have that intensity in their play.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Think you must have looked at it wrong. Last season got cut off after 29 games, they'd have got 80+ points last year, probably closer to 90. Season before was 78.

They were good last season too, they just tailed off massively in the 2nd half of the season with an awful run of form. They were 2 points behind with a game in hand half way through January. Were good in Europe last season as well but doing even better this season. Gerrard is very switched on tactically in those games.

Josh 76

Lampard essentially failed with Derby, and then came into Chelsea and finished below Ole, and then got sacked, and I would wager that most people still think Lampard has a ‘higher ceiling’ or other such bollocks that seems to pervade modern football discourse.

Has Gerrard done a very good job? Indisputably. But he’s also won a league that one of only two teams can realistically compete for. And one of them has been a shambles this season. I’m all for the hype train, though, provided it alights at Anfield.
Lampard taking Derby to the play off final was just as good as Gerard winning the SPL with Rangers.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Lampard taking Derby to the play off final was just as good as Gerard winning the SPL with Rangers.
Not in the manner he is currently doing it. They’ve only lost one game all season.

acnumber9

Lampard took over a Derby team that had finished 6th with 75 points without the benefit of his contacts and loans and took them to 6th with 74 points. He achieved nothing.