Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

ZAGREB RED

He was the last person to stop Brendan Rodgers winning a Championship though...............

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I see Murty is sacked now then

Charlie Adam talking StevieG up, maybe he’s looking for a return to Rangers. Could do worse especially if they got him on a free

golden_blunder

Staff
1/16 favorite is StevieG (Daily star claiming he’s already signed)

8/1 graham potter not a bad shout

16/1 Ronny deBoer not gonna happen

33/1 vangle

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Literally one of the worst jobs he could pick as his first managerial role. Can't believe he's actually going through with this

Castia

Seems to be a terrible move. They cant compete with Celtic, they're years behind with no finances to catch up.

RoyH1

Gerrard choosing to manage Rangers would be a dumber decision than Rangers choosing Gerrard as their manager.
I think they're both some of the daftest ideas I've heard in a long time.

TheoY

Supports
Liverpool
Trying to maintain a mature discussion involving Stevie G on forum frequented largely by Man Utd fans, is like sticking your head inside the jaws of a shark and politely asking him not to bite down. A fruitless endeavour.
Truth be told, RedCafe is a largely mature forum when it comes to discussing other clubs' affairs. That's why other clubs' fans frequent this forum to the extent they do.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Literally one of the worst jobs he could pick as his first managerial role. Can't believe he's actually going through with this
His career continues to be a meme following that fateful slip.

Deleted member 101472

Truth be told, RedCafe is a largely mature forum when it comes to discussing other clubs' affairs. That's why other clubs' fans frequent this forum to the extent they do.
yeah watch how mature we all are when roma win 3-0 tonight :devil:

crossy1686

career ending
Can't see this ending well at all to be honest, Rangers appear to be a shit show on and off the pitch. If Southgate ends up getting the sack after the WC he could have threw his hat in the ring for that?

Oldyella

Seems to be a terrible move. They cant compete with Celtic, they're years behind with no finances to catch up.
If people realise that though, this is surely a no lose situation? Experience of running a 1st team , no language issues like G Neville faced (well, some maybe..) and not really expected to do anymore than get 2nd? If they somehow do fluke anything better than that, English press will have him as the next big thing and taking every decent job that comes up.

Deleted member 101472

Words cannot describe how much i want gerrard to fail. He's going to bring so many liverpool academy players with him who think the Scottish league will be a doddle and they'll get kicked off the park every week.

Parry Gallister

Makes sense, seeing as he's the last man to foil a Brendan Rodgers title bid.
:lol:

Not a surprise that Stevie Me is showing a lack of loyalty to the scouse again. Be interesting to see how he does though. Bit of a surprise appointment, he's only been a youth coach for under a season and I haven't heard that he's being doing anything super-notable with Pool's youth.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A club that needs a total restructure and an experieced manager to be back on track hires a rookie... Makes total sense.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
If people realise that though, this is surely a no lose situation? Experience of running a 1st team , no language issues like G Neville faced (well, some maybe..) and not really expected to do anymore than get 2nd? If they somehow do fluke anything better than that, English press will have him as the next big thing and taking every decent job that comes up.
It won't stop the fans turning on him as soon as they lose to Celtic.

Deleted member 101472

Odd appointment. Will be interesting to see how he fares.

Who'll do worse; Gerrard at Rangers or Barton at Fleetwood?
gerrard without a shadow of a doubt. The amount of shite he must have had told to him over the phone is incredible. its season ticket renewal time at rangers and they NEED that money.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Odd appointment. Will be interesting to see how he fares.

Who'll do worse; Gerrard at Rangers or Barton at Fleetwood?
Not as odd as appointing Pedro Caizinha. that was a surprise even for us portuguese folks, who still can't understand why a club like Rangers appoints a manager like Caixinha when there were literally a lot of better solutions on the portuguese managers market. It was baffling.

Minimalist

Shades of Gary Neville taking over at Valencia.

Can't see it going well with Ranger's problems.

TheoY

Supports
Liverpool
yeah watch how mature we all are when roma win 3-0 tonight :devil:
They only won 4-1, so I didn't have the chance. :rolleyes:

But seriously, there is a sports persona in Greece who is a lot classless about Liverpool (being a Man Utd fan) than any person I have encountered in RedCafe. I mean, it's between a semi-public figure and random forum members, and you guys win in class.

Last edited by a moderator:

golden_blunder

Staff
Looks like they have re-signed Alan McGregor and picked up Scot Arfield from Burnley too. He’s a decent player.

Deleted member 101472

Looks like they have re-signed Alan McGregor and picked up Scot Arfield from Burnley too. He’s a decent player.
Grew up playing against him, as far as I know he’s a Falkirk fan but the rangers fans are making out like he’s one of them.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Probably come knocking for our youth players if he does get it. Good luck to him if he does but I don't think he should start there. If he fails though I don't think he should stop managing or coaching all together, he should look for a smaller/lower league club in England. I hate it when big ex players are touted for big jobs, feck up and rule out the linked clubs who are lower than the ones they previously got sacked from and instead settle for the comfortable life of punditry i.e Neville, Shearer.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Hoping Arfield doesn't go, we need him playing at the highest level. If he does though I'd like them to loan Liam Millar as well. Young lad is another from my hometown.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
I'm surprised they didn't go for the likes of Neil Warnock. Yes he's a whopper but he experienced, decent track record and used to working with a small budget. Despite Ranger's perilous state I think he would have taken it as it would have been his first chance to work with one of the giants in club soccer.

Appointed as manager

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Steven Gerrard has agreed a deal in principle to become Rangers manager, according to Sky sources.

Sky Sports News understands he shook hands on a three-year deal with the Rangers hierarchy late on Thursday in London following his return from Rome.

Gary McAllister will be his assistant at Ibrox. The former Liverpool pair take over from Graeme Murty, who left earlier this week.

SER19

I actually think it's a good move for him. He'll experience all that goes with day to day running a big club and Scottish football is crying out for big names. In a league where seems 11 teams can't be bothered even trying to compete with Celtic motivating players must be difficult. No offence to likes of murty but Gerrard might be more likely to get at least some increase in response from players. McAllister too is held in high regard in Scotland.

I don't imagine any fan would expect a title in first couple of years so the goal of being more competitive and increasing rangers stock is a reasonable one.

All that said I hope he does horrendously.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Why didn't they give it t'giggsy?