Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I doubt they would be stupid enough just because hes a club legend. He'd be closer to Dalglish Mk2 than Zidane, Guardiola or even Dalglish Mk1. He comes across as pretty thick most of the time and incapable of rational thought when it comes to Liverpool. Not the ingredients for success.
Then who though? Like I said above, I'm not sure there are many other candidates around who would certainly keep us at the top.

It's not that I'm enthusiast about Gerrard or that I want him to become our manager, it's that I don't see any proper (realistic) replacements for Klopp at the moment. If he's at the same-ish level as someone like Lampard for example, I'd be glad with that I think.

Dr. StrangeHate

Say Klopp leaves after 21/22 and we can’t get a young prodigy like Nagelsmann or Rose - I don’t have a lot of managers that I’d rather have than Gerrard, or at least that I can currently think of. Whoever it’ll be it’ll be a massive step down from Klopp.

This comes with the caveat that I haven’t watched Rangers play under his reign even once, but at least he seems to have really improved them?
Have you not seen our fanbase here with Ole. Do you really want to go through that with your club when you have finally reached the top again.

lsd

The Oracle
Not sure if he has improved Rangers more than Lennon has taken Celtic backwards

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Have you not seen our fanbase here with Ole. Do you really want to go through that with your club when you have finally reached the top again.
No two situations are the same though. Ole took over a struggling team and had never proven that he's able to turn that ship around. For all we know Gerrard could be closer to Zidane than Ole (although unfortunately that's highly unlikely).

I'm just not sure who, if anyone, would be able to keep us at the very top where Klopp has brought us in the last few years. A drop off is inevitable imo, regardless of the next manager.

neilv93

He's got them looking like a proper team this season, must be said. Defensively sound, attacking WBs with excellent crossing, ball-carrying midfielders that tick things over (Kamara looks a player btw) and a fluid front three - remind you of anyone else? All that without Morelos in form...

I think Celtic might still be too strong over the course of the season, with or without Lennon, as their squad is deeper but Rangers are playing superbly. At the very least, he's bridged the gap to Celtic and MASSIVELY improved their European reputation. As others have said, a trophy is definitely required at this point to showcase real improvement (much like Ole for us) and I think that needs to be the title to prevent 10IAR.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He has absolutely improved Rangers. They are far better now than at any point under previous managers since getting back into the league.

It is true though that Celtic have went backwards too.

Hulme91

His record in Europe is legitimately outstanding. Beaten Champions League level opposition consistently over the last couple of years
Has to win a trophy this year though

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Rodgers left Celtic at the right time. What he did with them was incredible really in terms of keeping the motivation up aka winning pretty much every week for 2-3 seasons in a row. With Lennon they’ve taken a big step back while Gerrard has been quietly improving Rangers year by year. They were probably favourites to Win the title around January last year and then went on a horrific run. Hopefully he’s figured out why and how to rectify that and they’ll clinch the title.

Seems to have a very solid European record with them too.

It pains me but I think he’ll end up being a solid manager.

Then who though? Like I said above, I'm not sure there are many other candidates around who would certainly keep us at the top.

It's not that I'm enthusiast about Gerrard or that I want him to become our manager, it's that I don't see any proper (realistic) replacements for Klopp at the moment. If he's at the same-ish level as someone like Lampard for example, I'd be glad with that I think.
If i were Liverpool I'd be offering Klopp whatever he wants to try and create a dynasty like we had with SAF, although that brings with it succession issues as we have seen over the last 8 years.

If he does leave in a few years the managerial landscape will likely have changed by then anyway. I doubt the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and probably Ole will be doing much by then.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Rodgers left Celtic at the right time. What he did with them was incredible really in terms of keeping the motivation up aka winning pretty much every week for 2-3 seasons in a row. With Lennon they’ve taken a big step back while Gerrard has been quietly improving Rangers year by year. They were probably favourites to Win the title around January last year and then went on a horrific run. Hopefully he’s figured out why and how to rectify that and they’ll clinch the title.

Seems to have a very solid European record with them too.

It pains me but I think he’ll end up being a solid manager.
Moyes would win with celtics. Even ole would

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I live in Glasgow & thought it was crazy to offer him the job but he has proved me wrong. The club was a disaster & a shambles on & off the pitch but he has changed the squads mentality & they could certainly win the league this season.

Irrational.

He's done surprisingly well at Rangers, exceeded expectations even.

I think we're going to get to a generation of football clubs managed by ex-legends:

United: Ole
Chelsea: Frank
Arse: Arteta
Liverpool: Gerrard
Madrid: Zidane
Barca: Xavi (has been mooted)
City: Noel Gallagher

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
If i were Liverpool I'd be offering Klopp whatever he wants to try and create a dynasty like we had with SAF, although that brings with it succession issues as we have seen over the last 8 years.

If he does leave in a few years the managerial landscape will likely have changed by then anyway. I doubt the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and probably Ole will be doing much by then.
Not sure, e.g. even if Lampard gets eventually sacked by Chelsea he'll still easily find a job at West Ham or a Championship side imo. Klopp has always said he's not in it for the long run at Liverpool so can't see him lasting that much longer, especially if our stars turn 30 or older. Hopefully he'll stay for the rebuild and leaves the squad in a good shape, rather than leaving when they're all just over the hill career-wise.

Where is the proof for that? There isn’t so it’s just hyperbolic nonsense.
Well, Moyes turned Everton into a solid sub-top PL side just like Rodgers has done with Leicester. Of course there's no proof but it's hardly an exaggeration if you think Moyes would've won multiple titles with Celtic during the '10s.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Both have definitely happened, which the most is hard to say. They're showing significant improvement in Europe with him as one barometer. Knocked out by a team from Luxembourg before he took over, they've recorded wins against Braga, Porto, Galatasaray, Feyenoord, Standard Liege, Maribor (not so much of a name but have put Celtic out once or twice) and Willem II (again not a great name but they're Dutch so you'd expect a certain standard).

Last edited:

Not sure, e.g. even if Lampard gets eventually sacked by Chelsea he'll still easily find a job at West Ham or a Championship side imo. Klopp has always said he's not in it for the long run at Liverpool so can't see him lasting that much longer, especially if our stars turn 30 or older. Hopefully he'll stay for the rebuild and leaves the squad in a good shape, rather than leaving when they're all just over the hill career-wise.
Once that happens there's no coming back though. If Lampard fails at Chelsea he will get another job yes, but once he's dropped down to the also rans he'll likely never work his way back up. Same with Ole here.

Gerrard will probably get one shot with a big club soon but i think Liverpool would be daft to be that club.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Gerrard will probably get one shot with a big club soon but i think Liverpool would be daft to be that club.
I wouldn't really be bothered either way tbh. Can't see him getting his shot at Chelsea, City or Utd though :D

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He has but with the money handed to him it's not really a huge achievement. His results in Europe have been pretty decent so he definitely has improved Scottish football in Europe .
He has to win a trophy this season and it probably has to be the title to stop 10 in a row
Huh? He’s only spent 10m this season, 1/3 of that was to make the signing of Hagi perm after his loan. Most of his signings have been free transfers or loans.

In the last 3 seasons, money spent on transfers comparing with their rivals Celtic

18/19 Celtic spend 13m
18/19 rangers spend 11m
19/20 Celtic spend 18m
19/20 rangers spend 11m
This season Celtic spend 11m
This season rangers spend 10m

Robbie Boy

He's doing a good job, by my god, Lennon is having a mare at Celtic. Not to mention the fact that Celtic's - once very good transfer policy: VVD, Kayal, Wanyama, Deneyer (loan) etc - has gone to complete and utter shite. All the while, Rangers have been making very shrewd investments and investments that will probably see them make decent profits.

neilv93

I think we're going to get to a generation of football clubs managed by ex-legends:

Hahaha! In all seriousness, depending on how things end up going with Anderlecht, wouldn't surprise me to see Kompany manage City one day. Really good 'football brain' on him, solid 'sporting IQ' and seems a top bloke - although I think he'll end up becoming a DOF/CEO a la Van der Sar (I know they're different roles before anyone says!).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Gerrard is almost certainly going to succeed Klopp at Liverpool.

It'll be too popular an appointment for FSG to turn down. As FSG has shown by teaming up with the Glazers for so-called Project Big Picture, they care about this kind of stuff. Gerrard returning to Liverpool as manager? Can you imagine the social media interactions and engagements. The lads in Boston will be pushing that in front of every investor in the world. Just imagine your logo was on the first sponsored post showing Gerrard as Liverpool manager etc.etc.

I also think Gerrard would do a decent job. Despite their god being mammon, FSG actually run Liverpool well. You have a good set up on the footballing side and Edwards is seen as a canny operator who brings in the right profile of player. Lets not forget Klopp was originally opposed to the Salah signing. Bringing Gerrard into a fully functioning set up would be very different than bringing him into a dysfunctional operation, which is what you see at certain other clubs. Gerrard, at the current Liverpool, would not be swimming against the tide. He would simply have to avoid a monumental f-k up to do well.
First I'm hearing that.

Tel074

Huh? He’s only spent 10m this season, 1/3 of that was to make the signing of Hagi perm after his loan. Most of his signings have been free transfers or loans.

In the last 3 seasons, money spent on transfers comparing with their rivals Celtic

18/19 Celtic spend 13m
18/19 rangers spend 11m
19/20 Celtic spend 18m
19/20 rangers spend 11m
This season Celtic spend 11m
This season rangers spend 10m

Comparing to Celtic makes him look worse because he has a similar spend apart from 19/20 yet Celtic win all the trophies.
To spend over 30 million in a league with no money and still win nothing is staggering.

Last edited:

poleglass red

He has to win the league this yr, you don't get that long at one of the old firm without winning anything typically. So far so good this season, only issue is, his team are as playing as good as they have under his tenure and Celtic have been awful, yet Rangers are only 4 pts ahead with Celtic a game in hand. There will come a point like last season where Rangers will hit a dodgy patch and Celtic start to click. I'd say Liverpool would be nuts to hire him, but it seems to be the way these days, legends with little experience getting the managers job. Lampard at Chelsea, Arteta at Arsenal, Ole at Utd even Pirlo at Juve. Managing in european competition is a good learning tool for him. Probably not as crazy an idea as it sounds, he could follow the managerial path once trodden by the great Souness from Glasgow to Anfield....:smirk:

Lay

His European record is very good. That Portuguese manager prior was getting knocked out by a part time Luxembourg team. The level of teams they've beaten is quite good. He really needs a trophy now though.

golden_blunder

Staff
Comparing to Celtic makes him look worse because he has a similar spend apart from 19/20 yet Celtic win all the trophies.
To spend over 30 million in a league with no money and still win nothing is staggering.
He came into rangers when they had no money (and still not much) and Celtic were light years ahead. In the grand scheme of things he’s not spent much at all, mostly played with loans and frees

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

:lol:

Liam as coaching the u23s. But never when it rains, only in the SUNSHIIIIIEEEEEEHHHHHHNNNNEEEHHHHHH

Fair pay to Gerrard. Celtic aren't what they were but he's doing well.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I can actually see a lot of options, depending on the mindset of FSG. If they want to continue at the top level at all cost, they might go with an established, successful, attacking manager. Not sure who is available in that category, but the decision is not for today anyway. If they want stylistic continuity, they can go with Lijnders and accept the risk that comes with that. They can also accept a temporary drop since you just won the CL and league anyway, and hire an up-and-coming manager that might get to Klopp's level, like Rose, Nagelsmann, or Ten Hag (and there might be more of those once Klopp leaves). And if they want to go by emotion, they can hire Gerard (which I don't mean condescendingly, cause he is showing his ability now; but he wouldn't necessarily continue the current style/direction).
Legend ?! How many PL's did he win ?

Take care 'cause he might slip again! :lol:
So anti-Pool you can't even play along with @Shark's joke! :lol:

ariveded

Gerrard wont be the next LFC manager. FSG aren't going to make the same system as Daglish. LFC fans are pure emotional, and had a hard time accepting his sacking.

Tel074

He came into rangers when they had no money (and still not much) and Celtic were light years ahead. In the grand scheme of things he’s not spent much at all, mostly played with loans and frees
Yeah they had no money like all Scottish clubs but compared with the rest of Scotland he's spent lots as have Celtic but Celtic win everything. He has brought in alot of loan players but he's also spent alot for Scottish teams and has to win trophies this season

Lay

Celtic have had a 5/6 year head start.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's more the former. Obviously Rodgers is a better manager than Lennon. But under Lennon Celtic were on course for 15 points more than in Rodgers' last full season. And even this season they've still racked up loads of points despite being passive and struggling against similar quality teams. They remain excellent flat-track bullies. And if you compare their European performances, their run in the Europa League last year under Lennon was the best season Celtic have had in about a decade, in terms of coefficients.

Nope. Blunder's already shared the spend, but if you compare their wages there's a huge difference. When Gerrard took over in 2018, Celtic's wage bill was more than double that of Rangers. It closed up a little and last season there was a difference of about 35%. Still pretty significant though and gave them an edge in the run-in when Rangers lost their lead due to a couple of key players going off form and Celtic stretched away.

golden_blunder

Staff
@Gio i just think that if you look at where rangers came from a few years ago, promotion, skint, then I think SG has made huge progress. Whether he can get it over the line in terms of winning trophies remains to be seen but he’s certainly developed the squad and mentality

Tel074

It's more the former. Obviously Rodgers is a better manager than Lennon. But under Lennon Celtic were on course for 15 points more than in Rodgers' last full season. And even this season they've still racked up loads of points despite being passive and struggling against similar quality teams. They remain excellent flat-track bullies. And if you compare their European performances, their run in the Europa League last year under Lennon was the best season Celtic have had in about a decade, in terms of coefficients.

Nope. Blunder's already shared the spend, but if you compare their wages there's a huge difference. When Gerrard took over in 2018, Celtic's wage bill was more than double that of Rangers. It closed up a little and last season there was a difference of about 35%. Still pretty significant though and gave them an edge in the run-in when Rangers lost their lead due to a couple of key players going off form and Celtic stretched away.

Wage bills dont win titles my friend

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Wage bills dont win titles my friend
Let’s hope so.

@Gio i just think that if you look at where rangers came from a few years ago, promotion, skint, then I think SG has made huge progress. Whether he can get it over the line in terms of winning trophies remains to be seen but he’s certainly developed the squad and mentality
Aye. His European record has been exceptional and there’s been a big difference in routinely dominating old firm ties compared to often getting pumped in them prior to Gerrard.

Bwuk

Wouldn’t stand a chance if Rodgers was still at Celtic. Lennon is a clown. Hope rangers win it, no-one should be winning their league 10 times in a row.

Lay

Ahh so Rangers/ Gerrard have a wonderful excuse for not winning a trophy for another 3 years with that reasoning then
No. I’ve said he’s in need of a trophy this season. Celtic had a 3 league head start. You can’t make that up so easily especially when Celtic are streets ahead of the nearest competitor