Steven Gerrard | Rangers Manager

padzilla

Hipster
He's done exceptionally well at Rangers but anything short of winning the Scottish League would have marked his time there as a failure, especially given the wage bill they have compared to everyone except Celtic. His biggest success so far has happened in a season when the only credible opposition were managed by Neil Lennon. Their performances are much more impressive, it will be fascinating to see how they do when there's a level of expectation. If I were a Liverpool fan I would still want to see how he got on a club in the PL or one of Europe's top leagues before taking directly over from Klopp.

Last edited:

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He’s finally a league winner.
Congratulations Rangers

laughtersassassin

If Liverpool are smart which they seem to be they look at us and Chelsea and realise it's not great planning to give the Role to an ex player without putting a lot of consideration into it.

Let him keep proving himself first.

Last thing you want is a manager who is doing Ok at best but the fans love too much to judge objectively.

Swedish_Plumber

He’s done a very good job to turn things around there! He’s been patient and learned a lot from the couple of seasons of Celtic dominance he endured when he took over.
Their form in Europe is very impressive too, even if their defence is shaky!
Deserves a shot at the big time more than Frank did.
Here’s hoping he’s as poor at Liverpool as Frank was at Chelsea :keano:

MU655

I know people are treating it as a dead certainty that he will want to join Liverpool, but I get the feeling that he might not want to. In the end, he spent his entire career as a player there; does he really want to spend more time at the same club?

He was pretty much cowed into staying when he considered joining Chelsea, and has said a few times (albeit, veiled behind wanting to have played for Mourinho) that he regretted not leaving. I wonder whether he might want to try different things.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great achievement. I wonder when he will think to move on. Getting into the UCL group stage is still difficult for Scottish teams

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He’s now as good as Souness and will surely get the chance to be as good as him as Liverpool manager.

Flexdegea

Have to say it's an incredible achievement winning Sevco their first ever title in their short existence :lol:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
"He used to be Red, but now he's Blue... Gerrard Gerrard".....

Champions again!

You can be disingenuous all you want but being the first team to win over celtic in 10 years is a bloody great achievement and so is not losing a league game all season.
it’s not a “bloody great achievement”. He’s done well, but if it was someone with a lower profile, no one would be giving a shit.

Because many have tried over the last 10 years and none have succeeded. He is the only one that has.
how many had the money that he had to spend? I imagine the wage bill is the highest since they went bust.

and clearly there was a big rebuild period where no rangers manager was winning it.

they’ve only been back in the SPL about 5 years. So obviously the likes of McCoist wouldn’t be trying to win the league...

It’s a good achievement winning any league. But feck me, the praise of winning a 2 horse race when your opponent has been shit is way OTT.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Rangers are the only club worse than Liverpool in the British isles

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
how many had the money that he had to spend? I imagine the wage bill is the highest since they went bust.

and clearly there was a big rebuild period where no rangers manager was winning it.

they’ve only been back in the SPL about 5 years. So obviously the likes of McCoist wouldn’t be trying to win the league...

It’s a good achievement winning any league. But feck me, the praise of winning a 2 horse race when your opponent has been shit is way OTT.
It's the fact Celtic were so far in front 3 years ago, Rangers were on their knees, needed a full new squad never mind team, Celtic had the financial advantage, the best coach in Britain at the time, a chance to bury Rangers for years & years. They all thought 10 was in the bag.

And its not just because Celtic were poor. Unbeaten in the league, unbeaten in Europe. 9 goals conceded in the league all season! 2 goals conceded at home all season! Brilliant stats whatever the situation.

It's the fact Celtic were so far in front 3 years ago, Rangers were on their knees, needed a full new squad never mind team, Celtic had the financial advantage, the best coach in Britain at the time, a chance to bury Rangers for years & years. They all thought 10 was in the bag.

And its not just because Celtic were poor. Unbeaten in the league, unbeaten in Europe. 9 goals conceded in the league all season! 2 goals conceded at home all season! Brilliant stats whatever the situation.
best coach in Britain - Rogers? Oh my life.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I know people are treating it as a dead certainty that he will want to join Liverpool, but I get the feeling that he might not want to. In the end, he spent his entire career as a player there; does he really want to spend more time at the same club?

He was pretty much cowed into staying when he considered joining Chelsea, and has said a few times (albeit, veiled behind wanting to have played for Mourinho) that he regretted not leaving. I wonder whether he might want to try different things.
Liverpool Vs Glasgow. I'd go 'Pool

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, it’s the way they’ve won it — it’s genuinely been an extremely impressive season. They’ve also been very good in Europe under Gerrard since he’s gone there.

I know it’s one of the most dislikable players to ever play football for the worst team ever, and I know we’ve got an awful amount of Celtic second team(?) fans on here, but credit where it’s due. This is a very good achievement for him.

Maybe Klopp takes a sabbatical this summer and Stevie Me walks in to spend some more of his life not winning a PL trophy.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The 55th title has to be one of the sweetest and, as much as Celtic imploded, it wouldn’t have mattered what version turned up given the relentless consistency we showed. Sometimes teams can run away with leagues like Scotland’s and then fall flat on their arse in Europe. But credit to Gerrard that we immediately became a competitive team in Europe following his appointment. We now sit 10th in coefficient amongst all clubs competing in the CL and EL for this season which is an impressive over performance when considering the resources clubs can call upon.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
The 55th title has to be one of the sweetest and, as much as Celtic imploded, it wouldn’t have mattered what version turned up given the relentless consistency we showed. Sometimes teams can run away with leagues like Scotland’s and then fall flat on their arse in Europe. But credit to Gerrard that we immediately became a competitive team in Europe following his appointment. We now sit 10th in coefficient amongst all clubs competing in the CL and EL for this season which is an impressive over performance when considering the resources clubs can call upon.
Congrats Gio. Fantastic season for Rangers. Gerrard has done an unbelievable job. Have a wee glass of champers there!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Congrats! I don’t have a dog in the fight but It’s nice to see the Celtic dominance end.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Undefeated season looks a certainty.

Incredibly impressive stuff from Gerrard you have to say.

ShinjiNinja26

Undefeated season looks a certainty.

Incredibly impressive stuff from Gerrard you have to say.
Credit where it’s due, SPL or not going undefeated through a whole league season is some achievement. I seen a few quotes the other day from Gerrard saying he’s been having phone calls with Fergie getting management advice from him and plans to meet up in person soon. He’s certainly learning from the best and I suspect it’s probably the main reason for going unbeaten.;)

fergosaurus

Aberdeen should be level in this match. One of their players just missed an open net from inside the six yard box. :lol:

Fair play to Slippy, he looks like a top manager in the making.

matt10000

You can be disingenuous all you want but being the first team to win over celtic in 10 years is a bloody great achievement and so is not losing a league game all season.
To be fair apart from the odd exception like when SAF managed Aberdeen or Rangers had financial problems, you may as well just have a two legged match between Rangers and Celtic to decide the league. I don’t see the Scottish league as a major achievement unless goj are not Rangers or Celtic.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Is it time to bump this thread....no unbeaten season this time and struggled against Malmö in Europe.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Bump again.
Out of Champions League,
Guess everyone was a bit to quick to heap praise on him after all...

Lay

Big season ahead. Rangers don’t look as good as they did last season but still very early. Lack of UCL is bad but that’s Scottish football lately. It’s sorely lacking quality even against teams they should probably beat