Stewart Lee

facund

Didn't think it was one of the better Comedy Vehicle episodes but I enjoyed it none the less.

Saying that, I could listen to him for hours without really laughing and still come out of it happy.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Didn't think it was one of the better Comedy Vehicle episodes but I enjoyed it none the less.

Saying that, I could listen to him for hours without really laughing and still come out of it happy.
Yeah, that was my view too. Great to see Morris back, but the stand up segments weren't his best. But as you say, I could listen to him read the phone book...complete with awkward pausing and audience berating.

spwd

What channel is this on, I think he's fantastic, saw him at Edinburgh years ago and Leicester de Montfort(I think) a few years after.

facund

"I sent Mary Berry a fudge abortion clinic... with a protective ring of sponge finger feminists... and all I got was a warning from the Police"
Really good episode.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'm not enjoying this series as much so far. Possibly due to the recycling of old material. There's been chunks of the first 2 episodes cut and pasted in from previous full length live shows.

Ibi Dreams

I'm not enjoying this series as much so far. Possibly due to the recycling of old material. There's been chunks of the first 2 episodes cut and pasted in from previous full length live shows.
Yeah, it's a bit annoying, especially given that most people who like him will probably have seen the material before. Then again, maybe he's reaching a wider audience and it's new for lot of viewers. Some of the stuff I haven't seen before is still brilliant

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I go and see him every year when he's trying out the Comedy Vehicle material, so it loses its impact for me second time around.

I'd love a proper live show this year instead of practicing for TV.

Mockney

Weakest one for me tonight. He seems to be almost consciously trying to jump his own shark with the Rod Liddle & (earlier) Jeremy Corbyn bits this season.

facund

Weakest one for me tonight. He seems to be almost consciously trying to jump his own shark with the Rod Liddle & (earlier) Jeremy Corbyn bits this season.
Yeah it was a shame because the episode started pretty well but the Rod Liddle bit took up 20 minutes, chewing being the last 5 or so, without even having Chris Morris interlude to break it up a bit.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Haven't seen yesterdays yet but this whole series has been quite poor imo.

It might be doing him a favour if it gets cancelled after this one so he can go back to crafting a proper full length show again. Also he could probably do with a break as being under a deadline to crank out 6 x 30 minute episodes every year can't be conducive to creativity...hence shows that see him spend 5/10 minutes making cat shit noises into a microphone.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I thought the series had gotten better and better until the episode last night, but even then I think it probably only got taken about as far as I am willing to accept, that is until next week and i'll still find myself laughing.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Thought his previous series was a bit disappointing (though got better as it went on). This one's dire, so far. I would say that if I hadn't seen the first two series I'd wonder why the BBC were commissioning it but the truth is the problem is I have seen the first two series and he's doing the same jokes that were in them.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Thought his previous series was a bit disappointing (though got better as it went on). This one's dire, so far. I would say that if I hadn't seen the first two series I'd wonder why the BBC were commissioning it but the truth is the problem is I have seen the first two series and he's doing the same jokes that were in them.
Yeah, I feel exactly the same.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Yeah that was much more like it. Good end to the series.

It must be difficult, for example, most American comedians are priding themselves on having 1 new hour every year for a special but Lee is having to write 3 hours every 2 years and that is just the stuff that makes it to television.

facund

A much better episode to end the series on after last weeks offering.

Mockney

It was a much better episode but it definitely did have bits where I was waiting for him to move on. He's been doing/relying on the same "this part of the room gets it, this part doesn't/the audience is shit" tac for ages now, and not just as an aside to great material like at first, but as a fair part of near every set. And while this did close it out nicely, it wasn't quite as satisfying as it could've been, since loses a lot of it's impact the 400th time around.

He's spread himself too thin for sure. Though it's pretty damn commendable that this is the first year I've really noticed it.

Last edited:

Ibi Dreams

I will watch it. I enjoyed most episodes of this series. The Jeremy Corbyn cat piece and his food on Rod Liddle piece last week were painful though. I just think he really labours his routines sometimes.
He does, and I think he does it on purpose and knows that people don't like it. I think that's part of the fun for him - doing something weird and dragging and repetitive because he can. It's funnier in theory than in practice though - I'm not saying I particularly enjoy it, though I did like the Corbyn bit much more than the Liddle bit.

Member 39557

Watched episode 2 of season 1 last night. It was repeated on one of the shit digital channels like Dave, UK gold etc.

It was far better than anything in season 4.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Saw his new show 'Content Provider' in Colchester last night and he was in vintage form. Probably the best I've ever seen him live. Seemed to be really enjoying himself too and worked the crowd to a tee. There were people sat stony faced in the first section reduced to tears in the second half.

There was a proper theme running through it to like his older shows before comedy vehicle came out and they all kind of became a hodge podge of that.

He said himself that he probably won't be doing this much longer because of his blood pressure and he sounded genuine so catch him while you still can.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Watched Snowflake the other week and then Tornado last night, some of his best stuff in a long while. I preferred Tornado over Snowflake but they are both very good

C3Pique

Saw them live back to back last year, didn't really rate it nearly as high as Content Provider. That said it was quite early in his tour, and 2+ hours is quite a long format for performer and audience so i think a bit of fatigue set in on both sides by the end.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Yeah I saw Content Provider at Saldord. I agree it was better, certainly better than the Snowflake section of his latest work but I felt like Snowflake was borrowing a fair amount from it to be honest.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Managed to catch Snowflake/Tornado just before lockdown in 2020. The BBC version definitely is a mash up of previous sets compared to the version I saw live. Still hilarious, even if he has let himself go.