Stoichkov vs Hagi

Who was better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Man-United

Watching the World Cup 94 review and these two players were outstanding.

Who was the better player out of the two?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Two different types of players. Quality.

youngrell

Hagi is one of my favourite players of all time, so much so that I often rooted for Romania at the WC.

Difficult to say he was better than Stoichkov, though. Different players but similar level of ability.

Feck it. Hagi :D

fps

Oof! What a debate! Stoichkov had a bit more dynamism Hagi a bit more inventiveness, I put them dead level back then!

Stoichkov, by some distance. He was top scorer in that World Cup and had a very successful spell at Barcelona in the mid 90s. Hagi was never really able to step up to the bigger leagues.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Cruyff was told prior to signing Stoichkov that he was a complete pain in the arse but he’d win him titles galore and probably the Champions League.

The rest is history. I’d have Stoichkov.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Stoichkov was a bit more disciplined tactically and that made the difference between both players career, but Hagi had so many tricks in the book that he was a better entertainer.

ROFLUTION

I was more entertained by Hagi in the World Cups, but Stoichkov had the better career. Hagi never thrived club-wise. (on the big stage)

Huge temper both of them. I liked Hagi more.

Redcy

Hagi was more entertaining, Stoichkov more likely to produce. Impossible to pick one, but yeah its Hagi for the unexpected he could give you.

SecondFig

Loved both, and at their best I'd say they're about equal - but Hagi didn't have anything close to the consistency of Stoichkov.

Josh 76

These type of players never get mentioned in all time great teams.
But they were pure class.

Paulo Futre
Michael Laurdup

Another two to join the list of the late 80s world stars.

Back to the question....Hagi for me. Just.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's the age old Messi vs Ronaldo question. I'm not choosing.

DoomSlayer

I'm clearly biased but still voted for the one and only Hristo Stoichkov, also known as "the Dagger" here in Bulgaria, due to his play style, but also because of his explosive personality and his iconic swearing habits. :D

poleglass red

I think consistency and club level success at highest level probably Stoichkov, although that Barca team he played on was masterful. I think Hagi on his day was probably a more talented player skill wise, but 2 great players. Like a lot of great players they had their Di Canio moments re discipline and neither was known for their work rate but ability wise, 2 world class players

georgipep

If I remember correctly, Stoitchkov was also Hagi's best man on his wedding. They were quite close in their playing days (supposedly in Bulgarian media)

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Another good thing about Hagi: he could be playing awfully, but those accurate set-pieces were just amazing. He assisted Mário Jardel a lot on that exciting squad that Lucescu assembled in Galatasaray. Then they bankrupted and had to sell almost all players :D

I'm clearly biased but still voted for the one and only Hristo Stoichkov, also known as "the Dagger" here in Bulgaria, due to his play style, but also because of his explosive personality and his iconic swearing habits. :D
As am I :D
I like the idea that all of Barcelona learned to swear in Bulgarian by the end of his time there

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Hagi was more talented.. but he lacked the effectiveness and versatility of Stoichkov. Two very different players position wise and stylistically but pound for pound you’d want the Bulgarian.

Le Red

I watched Romania vs Colombia last week. What Hagi did in that match has to be a candidate for top 10 best individual performances ever.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

They were very different players. Stoichkov mainly a goalscoring wide-forward in the Netherlands 4-3-3 tradition that would still fit comfortably into current tactical trends, while Hagi was more of a genius on the ball, but also harder to fit into a team and get the best out of. You have to account for his inconsistent defensive work and inclination to wander about positionally looking to ensure most of the play goes through him. His style of between the lines, free-role attacking midfielder is quite out of fashion.

Hagi had a much tougher time transitioning to western football from the more brutal Romanian regime. He had a very bad first season at Real Madrid and though he settled in a footballing sense during the second, playing very well and Real only losing out on the league by a point, he opted to move to Brescia (maybe the weakest team in Serie A) in large part because of the Romanian presence there. Managed by Mircea Lucescu and with a few of his international teammates like Raducioiu there. His club career probably would have been much closer to Stoichkov's if he had stayed in Madrid, as he could have filled the attacking midfield position there for the rest of the 90s.

Stoichkov adapted better and found his niche quickly at Barca, but did struggle when he tried Serie A with Parma and failed to fit in again when returning to Barca, before going quickly downhill after that at around 30.