Stoke u18 - United u18

lysglimt

Scout
Manchester United: Tom Wooster – Marcus Lawrence, Harrison Parker, Sonny Aljofree (C), Sam Murray – Maxi Oyedele, Finley McAllister – Adam Berry, Ethan Williams, Amir Ibragimov – Manni Norkett.
Subs: James Nolan, Thomas Myles, Louis Jackson, Ethan Wheatley, Jayce Fitzgerald.

Now that is a young team - Parker and Ibragimov are both 15. McAllister, Berry and Williams are all 16

No goals after 30 minutes

lysglimt

Scout
1-0 Stoke with 20 minutes to play - United by far the better side and have 13-6 in goal attempts but that doesn't help if you don't score goals.

lysglimt

Scout
Finished 1-0 Stoke. Perhaps not so strange United lost with such a young team, but created enough chances to get something from the game

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
14-year-old Amir Ibragimov started for us this morning. A fantastic achievement for him and I expect we’ll be hearing about him a lot more over the next few years. Looks a terrific talent.

brewers

Yeah he looks like a fantastic prospect, looking forward to seeing him flourish

Pearson

I did not watch the game. How did McAllister fare in the game?

Bigsid

One win in 9 for our 18s and 21s means its not been the most promising starts for our young sides. Though we may be playing some younger players (3 u18s played in the 21s for example) im not sure thats massively different to other sides. Is Shoretire out of favour?

Remember the geese

One win in 9 for our 18s and 21s means its not been the most promising starts for our young sides. Though we may be playing some younger players (3 u18s played in the 21s for example) im not sure thats massively different to other sides. Is Shoretire out of favour?
Shoretire will be leaving on a free transfer. That is the only reason I can think of as to why he isn't out on loan.

Beaucoup

it’s very simple, quite a few players are not good enough and should not have been offered scholarships in the first place.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bet you've got a semi seeing those results.

stealthy

Big sis gets some abuse on here when to me it seems he is closer to academy football than most fans.
I think there is some truth in the current crop being short in strength to depth, and whilst they no doubt have some good individuals it makes good business strength to push for a really strong group that competes, and they then also push each other on, and develop a winning mentality.
The winning doesn’t matter at this age is only partially true, look at the FA youth cup all conquering sides Chelsea had in the past and all the top internationals that came out of that group.
Look at the Money Man City made this summer from academy sales from recent successful sides, the sale of 5 academy boys flew below the radar but almost fully paid for Haaland transfer fee.
Strength in depth rather than a couple of individuals each year makes sense and maybe that’s big Sid’s point.
Somebody also made the point about our 18s being no younger than other top clubs which also has some merit, lots of second years in that group, I would imagine if you went through the schedule yesterday, other teams would have had a lower average age? Probably not any 14 year olds though Tbf

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
14-year-old Amir Ibragimov started for us this morning. A fantastic achievement for him and I expect we’ll be hearing about him a lot more over the next few years. Looks a terrific talent.
I am surprised they didn't push up Shea Lacey.

Bigsid

Big sis gets some abuse on here when to me it seems he is closer to academy football than most fans.
I think there is some truth in the current crop being short in strength to depth, and whilst they no doubt have some good individuals it makes good business strength to push for a really strong group that competes, and they then also push each other on, and develop a winning mentality.
The winning doesn’t matter at this age is only partially true, look at the FA youth cup all conquering sides Chelsea had in the past and all the top internationals that came out of that group.
Look at the Money Man City made this summer from academy sales from recent successful sides, the sale of 5 academy boys flew below the radar but almost fully paid for Haaland transfer fee.
Strength in depth rather than a couple of individuals each year makes sense and maybe that’s big Sid’s point.
Somebody also made the point about our 18s being no younger than other top clubs which also has some merit, lots of second years in that group, I would imagine if you went through the schedule yesterday, other teams would have had a lower average age? Probably not any 14 year olds though Tbf
Spot on. We have changed our philosophy in younger groups and bought in heavily from abroad in some cases. The lad that played yesterday is from Dagestan and was bought in a few years ago. Lacey is a local talent on the other hand and though he is undoubtedly a talented player may struggle physically in the short term so we will have to be patient. Whether we can nurture and coach these talents into top players either for us or others is debatable and we will need strong groups to create the neccesary environment to do that. Where City excel is turning players 18-20 into sellable commodities without paying huge amounts to bring in. Our recruitment in those ages appears more flawed with the purchases of Hannibal and Diallo appearing knee jerk at best. A combined fee of almost 40 million for the two is nothing short of criminal and though some may point out that they are only 19 or 20 in years to come questions may well be asked on why we paid such astronomical fees. Hopefully lessons will be learned.

Beaucoup

Spot on. We have changed our philosophy in younger groups and bought in heavily from abroad in some cases. The lad that played yesterday is from Dagestan and was bought in a few years ago. Lacey is a local talent on the other hand and though he is undoubtedly a talented player may struggle physically in the short term so we will have to be patient. Whether we can nurture and coach these talents into top players either for us or others is debatable and we will need strong groups to create the neccesary environment to do that. Where City excel is turning players 18-20 into sellable commodities without paying huge amounts to bring in. Our recruitment in those ages appears more flawed with the purchases of Hannibal and Diallo appearing knee jerk at best. A combined fee of almost 40 million for the two is nothing short of criminal and though some may point out that they are only 19 or 20 in years to come questions may well be asked on why we paid such astronomical fees. Hopefully lessons will be learned.
City wouldn’t have signed half the player we offered scholarships to over the last few seasons

Mickson

City wouldn’t have signed half the player we offered scholarships to over the last few seasons
They didn't seem to lose any sleep over losing McNeill either, which I can understand.

United is doing some good things at academy level though compared to before, but it can always be better. I'm pretty happy with the talent coming through; I can't remember we have any better generations than those born from 03-05 since maybe the players born in 92-93.