Television Stranger Things (Netflix Original) | CONTAINS SPOILERS

Superunknown

Finished it last night. Enjoyed it a lot, perhaps my favourite since the first season.

All I have to say is that I would slaughter every single one of you for a chance to get my toe bumped on Winona Ryder's coffee table. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Spoony

The People's President
I enjoyed the series. Was definitely darker than the others. The last 30 mins of the finale were awfully cringeworthy though...and the Soviet sub plot was pointless. It didn't seem have as much 80s nostalgia, which is something I've liked about the other Stranger Things seasons. But the nod to Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser and other 80s horror(Carpenter) made the series darker and more gripping.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

I only have problem with it's 8.7 imdb rating (higher than Twin Peaks, Mindhunter, Gomorrah, Boardwalk Empire).
You can't have TV show sitting at 8.7 rating with silly and predictable dialogues, yelling, flat jokes, idiotic russophobic cliche (I get it, it's the 80's, but it is way over the top).
I can't understand for the love of god how is this show rated higher than 6.
Series rated so highly do not have glaring plot holes like this one.
It's a teen comedy money milking cow now they way I see it
So your issue is that people like it?

For what it’s worth I can easily see why it’s ranked higher than the two of the shows you listed that I’ve seen, in Twin Peaks (which is very out there and while I am a fan, it’s very easy to see that it won’t be to a lot of peoples taste) and Mindhunter (after the first very good season it was absolute trash).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Surely it's more enjoyable if you actually grew up in the 80s?
Don’t start this again
I only have problem with it's 8.7 imdb rating (higher than Twin Peaks, Mindhunter, Gomorrah, Boardwalk Empire).
You can't have TV show sitting at 8.7 rating with silly and predictable dialogues, yelling, flat jokes, idiotic russophobic cliche (I get it, it's the 80's, but it is way over the top).
It’s the most watchable thing I’ve ever seen. Just very enjoyable entertainment, moreso than anything else I’ve watched.

Gomorrah is one of the best things I’ve ever seen too, in a very different way.

Spoony

The People's President
Don’t start this again

It’s the most watchable thing I’ve ever seen. Just very enjoyable entertainment, moreso than anything else I’ve watched.

Gomorrah is one of the best things I’ve ever seen too, in a very different way.
I loved it. I liked the score, I liked the homage to Elm Street and other Carpenter films, I like the similarities between Vecna and Pinhead of Hellraiser fame. I recall watching likes of Big Trouble in Little China on VHS back then. This reminded me of all that. Sure there were parts that weren't so great but overall it was a cracking series. I do think I'm biased because it took me back to my childhood, though.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The first season seemed very original in it's story but since then it's gone down a lot of tropes and also become repetitive (kids about to die then Eleven comes and saves the day by stretching her arm and screaming, every season).

I can understand Stranger Things being 8.7. A lot of people love it though I would give it a 7.5 after the disappointing seasons following season 1. I'm just sad that Dark is also 8.7, should be in the 9's, doesn't the amount of love/hype it should.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I ditched Dark after the second series. Got too ridiculous. Then again, time travel and all that.
Third was relatively underwhelming, but overall it's still miles above anything else on tv in most ways.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I ditched Dark after the second series. Got too ridiculous. Then again, time travel and all that.
It did get convoluted towards the third season, but still much better than Stranger Things. Atleast it wasn't predictable and didn't feel like it had many tropes/repetition.

Spoony

The People's President
It did get convoluted towards the third season, but still much better than Stranger Things. Atleast it wasn't predictable and didn't feel like it had many tropes/repetition.

I watched 2 serie before thinking it was pointless. It's got nowt to with being convoluted. More to do with being ridiculous. Counterpart was far more convoluted and far more interesting.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Dark was terrific and it wasn't convoluted at all imo. The problem was perhaps having a year gap between seasons and then having to remember everything that happened but if you binge watch the show it's fine. It's meant to be confusing at times until you get the piece of the jigsaw that makes it fit together and personally one of the best finales in a long time. Also having to remember which characters were who in different timelines also was an issue if you weren't binge watching it.

It was a terrific show though and will be a cult favourite. Stranger Things is far more generic, with silly stories and characters that don't really evolve at all, but it's harmless fun and as someone said, very watchable. It's probably a 7 for me, whereas Dark is an 8.5 bordering on 9.

Ludens the Red

Just binge watched this in about two weeks. Literally only because it was Metallica approved.

I thought season 1 was the best season. it was a lot darker and mysterious than the subsequent seasons. Brilliant tv.

Season 2 took a while to get going but ended up really good but by this stage you can see the Duffers are moving towards a more ‘blockbuster’ type of series.

Season 3 I wasn’t a huge fan of, felt it got a little bit scooby doo like. Kids taking down the Soviet Union with ease almost felt a little silly.

Season four was a mix of exceptional and meh. The one villain, his look and his method of kills was brilliant. That’s what you call a terrifying villain. I liked the inclusion of Robert Inglund too along with all the other 80’s culture references. Musical number was brilliant too. Maiden, kiss, Metallica, the clash, can’t complain. These guys know good music.

I do feel the show lost some of its mystique with the more characters added and the multiple storylines.
It got to the point where it felt like they were just giving characters things to do for the sake of it.

For instance, they couldn’t find anything for Will to do other than scratching the back of his neck so decided to make him gay.

Long haired pot head might have been the most pointless character in the history of television.

Overall thoroughly enjoyed it all though, look forward to the finale.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
So your issue is that people like it?

For what it’s worth I can easily see why it’s ranked higher than the two of the shows you listed that I’ve seen, in Twin Peaks (which is very out there and while I am a fan, it’s very easy to see that it won’t be to a lot of peoples taste) and Mindhunter (after the first very good season it was absolute trash).

I don't know why anyone takes IMDb ratings seriously as they are just the same people with multiple accounts either down voting a show or uprating it.

Either way the overall ratings are not what they should be

Bobski

Watched season 4 over this weekend, and I really enjoyed it, easily the best season since the first IMO. The character work drove it more than the story and there was some really strong stuff there, Max from a character who was kind of annoying was the stand out, strong performance from her actress, Eleven had much stronger actors around her which elevated her scenes, liked the stuff with her and Brenner. The Villain was great and how it tied in, music and sound design really strong. A few cop out moments
Killing Eddie was the easy choice as soon as he was the named suspect, not going through with killing Max off

That Pothead Scooby Doo character didn't really land and the Steve-Nancy stuff felt like they were giving those characters some personal stuff just until they got all the pieces back together.

Wing Attack Plan R

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Tell me you haven't seen The Majestic without telling me you haven't seen The Majestic... or The Green Mile, or The Mist... Just kidding, I know you like his material, just giving you a hard time..
You got me :lol:

You're not wrong though, I gave that one a miss. Green Mile didn't blow me away either.

Roosney

Season four was so stupid I almost don't care anymore but I do, can't lie.
This Darabont news is not helping thou.

Roosney

As opposed to the gritty realism of the previous seasons?
First two had quite good coherence, mystery and tension, third season was a bit goofy but at least there was no playing electric guitar on a roof of a camper to attract Crash Bandicoot bats.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
First two had quite good coherence, mystery and tension, third season was a bit goofy but at least there was no playing electric guitar on a roof of a camper to attract Crash Bandicoot bats.
I enjoyed it just as much. It is meant to be entertaining but ridiculous nonsense.

Roosney

I enjoyed it just as much. It is meant to be entertaining but ridiculous nonsense.
Yeah I'm a big fan of scifi/fantasy, always have been. It's just the "tone of voice" in the fourth season that rubs me the wrong way.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah I'm a big fan of scifi/fantasy, always have been. It's just the "tone of voice" in the fourth season that rubs me the wrong way.
Fair enough. Sometimes things just bug us to the point they spoil a show.