Straylan and Kiwi politics

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I read that, in his statement, Morrison said that he did it because extraordinary times ask for extraordinary measures, and that he had to have backup in case ministers would fall away. There's two small issues with that: how did every other country in the world cope without a double-banking PM? And: he also says that he used these authorities only once, to block a gas extraction project that the minister had already approved. If he used it only once, how can he claim it was necessary? And WTF has such a project to do with the pandemic?!
Irish one seems to work well.
I know nothing about that one. What kind of power does the Irish president have?
i don't think anyone in a westminster-style system ever thought they'd live through the sheer optics of "he's trying to be a dictator". Wonder if Justin and Boris were dusting off the law books overnight? :lol:
Nah, Justin is more into small-time corruption (helping friends & family).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nothing at all but it was unpopular in marginal electorates in the run up to an election.
Oh, I'm sure he had his reasons for it! (And this makes sense, cause why else would someone like Morrison oppose a project like that?) But it totally undermines he's own stated reasons for his actions.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Oh, I'm sure he had his reasons for it! (And this makes sense, cause why else would someone like Morrison oppose a project like that?) But it totally undermines he's own stated reasons for his actions.
This is #scottyfrommarketing so he lies as well as he speaks in tongues.

WPMUFC

5. It was all about the pandemic – except where it wasn’t
Morrison said (with the exception of Pitt’s portfolio) the “safeguards” he took were all about the “unprecedented” circumstances the pandemic had created.

Which might explain the first two ministries he was secretly sworn into in 2020. But it doesn’t explain why he decided to add resources, home affairs and treasury to his list of powers in 2021, given the nation had a much bigger handle on what to expect from the pandemic.

In explaining how it slipped his mind to tell the treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, about adding treasury to his list of portfolios, especially given the pair were playing pool, eating curries and watching Yes Minister together at The Lodge in July 2021, Morrison says there were bigger things going on than the pandemic.

“Now at that time we were also putting the budget together for that year, and in addition to that I was in the process of negotiating the Aukus arrangement with the United States and the United Kingdom.

“So, there were other issues that, frankly, had a much higher priority and these matters were added to the emergency powers on an administrative basis.”
Mind-blowing stuff

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Won’t do much. The problem is that people can’t afford to migrate. Especially to cities like Sydney which are fast becoming too expensive even for locals as wages aren’t matching the cost of living.
Rent and property prices are ludicrous, interest rates, inflation and stagnant wages are making Sydney harder and harder to live in. I'm seriously considering moving somewhere much cheaper in about a year's time.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Rent and property prices are ludicrous, interest rates, inflation and stagnant wages are making Sydney harder and harder to live in. I'm seriously considering moving somewhere much cheaper in about a year's time.
I’m trying to buy in our area right now as it’s probably the last time I’ll get the chance. Might be on to one in stanmore but $1.5-1.6. Bloody insane

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I’m trying to buy in our area right now as it’s probably the last time I’ll get the chance. Might be on to one in stanmore but $1.5-1.6. Bloody insane
I live just the other side of Parramatra Rd and it is even more expensive. I can't afford to buy here so we are thinking of moving to WA

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The only reason I can afford is through negative gearing with my parents. Even then the bank put a hold on us today until all tax returns are in.
I own a unit in Summer Hill that I rent out to get the negative gearing benefit. Well the bank own 90% of it.

Sounds like you are sorted for your loan but if you get stuck I know a broker I trust implicitly who I used to work with.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm hoping that the change of monarch will help move us to a republic. Possibly a forlorn hope for a while yet though.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Weird events in The Solomon Islands. Australia offered to help fund their elections (possibly code for "so we can ensure they aren't corrupt). Their PM throws a wobbler accusing Australia of trying to undermine democracy then a few days later delays election because they allegedly can't afford a sporting event and an election in the same year and then accepts Australia's offer to pay for the election. Something dodgy going in for sure.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-pm-tells-australia-to-get-ready-to-fund-vote

neverdie

Weird events in The Solomon Islands. Australia offered to help fund their elections (possibly code for "so we can ensure they aren't corrupt). Their PM throws a wobbler accusing Australia of trying to undermine democracy then a few days later delays election because they allegedly can't afford a sporting event and an election in the same year and then accepts Australia's offer to pay for the election. Something dodgy going in for sure.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-pm-tells-australia-to-get-ready-to-fund-vote
china recently reached a strategic agreement with the solomon islands to establish a base there. i'd say it has to do with that.

AussieDevil

That is a terrible reason given Australia's history.
With all due respect to the indigenous elders, the Australia we know and love today was built by the British. Whether it’s right or wrong, this is now our history. We’ve grown up with this history, we’ve fought at war for this history and we’ve become a formidable country on the back of it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
With all due respect to the indigenous elders, the Australia we know and love today was built by the British. Whether it’s right or wrong, this is now our history. We’ve grown up with this history, we’ve fought at war for this history and we’ve become a formidable country on the back of it.
Growing up with something is no reason to keep doing something. The biggest challenge to getting a republic is you either propose a specific model which can be used to divide the pro-republic vote or you have a general referendum when (as we have previously seen) the anti-republic side can attack any and every version of a republic which again fragments the vote.

The biggest danger is that an elected President can have far too much power so I'd favor something like the Irish model which seems to avoid most of the pitfalls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Ireland

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Dan Andrews might be the most successful politician in the western world against Murdoch.

Great victory for Labor and now in a majority millennial electorate it is going to be very hard for the tories to get back in.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Now got 1 more seat than the previous election's "Danslide". Not bad after predictions of a hung parliament from the rabid Murdoch press.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not politics exactly but worth posting I feel.

We just had a siege by Sovereign Citizen/Anti-vaxxer/truther nutbags (2 brothers and one's wife). They ambushed 4 cops who were looking for one of them who had been reported missing by one of the gunmen's wife. 2 grounded by the first hail of bullets and then executed at shrt range. One cop ran and escaped with minor shrapnel would and another ran into a field where they shot at the grass that she was hiding in and then set the grass on fire nearly burning her to death (luckily just escaped the flames with no burns). They also murdered a neighbour who came to see what the fire was about. They seemed to have lots of guns and were wearing camouflage gear.

The police tactical unit turned up. They refused to negotiate or surrender so all three were taken out by snipers. A total of 6 dead. Probably our worst gun death event since Port Arthur (which these nutters through was a false flag operation to get people's guns).

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...g-man-shooting-qld-queensland-police-officers

Sounds like they were radicalised over the last few years. So much for Elon's free speech bullshit.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Christ. That's insane.

On a (hopefully) more cheerful topic, how's the new government getting along? Are they getting anything good done?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Christ. That's insane.

On a (hopefully) more cheerful topic, how's the new government getting along? Are they getting anything good done?
They are going really well in most respects. Started to repair relationships with China and the pacific region. Starting to address some cost of living issues (energy) and global warming and associated issues slowly (finally) starting to get some priority and industrial affais has had a boost that should allow more wage rises to occur (preventing them was a key policy of the last government). Albanese has been a great PM so far and Penny Wong (Foreign Affairs) and Jim Charmers (the new finance minister) have also done really well. The overall strength and cooperation of the whole cabinet is noticeably better by an order of magnitude.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They are going really well in most respects. Started to repair relationships with China and the pacific region. Starting to address some cost of living issues (energy) and global warming and associated issues slowly (finally) starting to get some priority and industrial affais has had a boost that should allow more wage rises to occur (preventing them was a key policy of the last government). Albanese has been a great PM so far and Penny Wong (Foreign Affairs) and Jim Charmers (the new finance minister) have also done really well. The overall strength and cooperation of the whole cabinet is noticeably better by an order of magnitude.
That doesn't sound too bad. I guess it's easy to look good now because of what you had previously, but it anyway sounds like things are heading in a better direction.
Fun for the entire family!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

We just had a siege by Sovereign Citizen/Anti-vaxxer/truther nutbags (2 brothers and one's wife). They ambushed 4 cops who were looking for one of them who had been reported missing by one of the gunmen's wife. 2 grounded by the first hail of bullets and then executed at shrt range. One cop ran and escaped with minor shrapnel would and another ran into a field where they shot at the grass that she was hiding in and then set the grass on fire nearly burning her to death (luckily just escaped the flames with no burns). They also murdered a neighbour who came to see what the fire was about. They seemed to have lots of guns and were wearing camouflage gear.

The police tactical unit turned up. They refused to negotiate or surrender so all three were taken out by snipers. A total of 6 dead. Probably our worst gun death event since Port Arthur (which these nutters through was a false flag operation to get people's guns).

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...g-man-shooting-qld-queensland-police-officers

Sounds like they were radicalised over the last few years. So much for Elon's free speech bullshit.
Wasn’t there a mass shooting incident in a chocolate shop in AUS since Port Arthur or am I completely completely off base?

Also, I’ve never known a trustworthy Gareth. Keep an eye on them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wasn’t there a mass shooting incident in a chocolate shop in AUS since Port Arthur or am I completely completely off base?

Also, I’ve never known a trustworthy Gareth. Keep an eye on them.
Yes. Port Arthur is a historic side inTasmania and 36 were killed in 1996, some in the cafe/gift shop, resulting in our gun laws tightening. Time for more severe ones methinks.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Im watching over here in EnZed our antivax/conspiracy nut/qanon types become more and more unhinged. They are doing that whole thing where they are self appointing themselves as Sheriffs and demanding entry into Govt buildings and courts etc. They keep getting more and more unhinged each week and the actual ringleaders are well established white supremacists and Nazi sympathisers. I would not be surprised if we see some sort of similar madness happen here too as has happened in Aussie this week. This madness is spreading, the antisemites seem to be happy to live out in the open now. Some of them are just really stupid people but some of them are dangerous and manipulative. I have no idea what the answer to this current mood is.