Striker Options

Devil may care

I see a lot of posters wanting a Striker and it's a position listed in a lot of posts of what we need, but it really just translates to "I want Haaland! :mad:" but what other options are there? as getting him feels like a very distant possibility.

Personally I think Cavani will extend his contract and over the next 18 months we'll start blooding Greenwood as a Striker, as apart from Haaland the only option that really stands out to me is Calvert-Lewin and he's even harder to get than Haaland. I saw Andre Silva linked to us the other day and I remember him looking promising at Porto years ago but not much has happened since although I know he's been good this season in the Bundesliga, are there any other standouts?

AgentSmith

Haaland makes sense because it always makes sense to try and secure a player like him - he‘a a generational talent at this point, with the attitude to ensure it materialises, playing for a club that sells.

Owing to that fact though, every top club in the world are going to be in for him next summer when his release clause (£65 million) kicks in. Given his career choices so far, which seem to centre around the place that’s best for his personal development, I just can’t see him going anywhere but City if he comes to England.

From our perspective I think Cavani, with Greenwood as the 1st choice behind him, is enough for the next 18 months. We have an insanely productive no.10 in Bruno who takes on the brunt of the responsibility of goals and if we add a proper RW in the summer it will improve the numbers of our other forwards (Cavani and Rashford) as there will be a genuine threat from the right-hand side. We look uneven at the moment with defences knowing Shaw and Rashford are our main threat. Someone like Sancho would help correct this balance by making the opposition unable to exclusively focus on the left.

This seems a nicely balanced front 4 with reasonable depth behind and only requires one signing:

Cavani
Greenwood
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Martial VDB Diallo
That would then allow us to focus the rest of our budget on strengthening the defence and, depending what happens with Pogba, balancing our midfield.

Reactions: Jippy

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Personally if we're looking closer to home, I really like Watkins. He's physical and his technique is improving a lot. For a first Season in the Prem, he's really stepped up well.
In Spain, Isak is an interesting one at Sociedad that I hope we see tonight - not really the same type of striker though. Maxi Gomez at Valencia is a bit more of a bruiser and is Uruguayan as well! He's been on the radar of a lot of Prem clubs in the past.

Siorac

Haaland makes sense because it always makes sense to try and secure a player like him - he‘a a generational talent at this point, with the attitude to ensure it materialises, playing for a club that sells.

Owing to that fact though, every top club in the world are going to be in for him next summer when his release clause (£65 million) kicks in. Given his career choices so far, which seem to centre around the place that’s best for his personal development, I just can’t see him going anywhere but City if he comes to England.

From our perspective I think Cavani, with Greenwood as the 1st choice behind him, is enough for the next 18 months. We have an insanely productive no.10 in Bruno who takes on the brunt of the responsibility of goals and if we add a proper RW in the summer it will improve the numbers of our other forwards (Cavani and Rashford) as there will be a genuine threat from the right-hand side. We look uneven at the moment with defences knowing Shaw and Rashford are our main threat. Someone like Sancho would help correct this balance by making the opposition unable to exclusively focus on the left.

This seems a nicely balanced front 4 with reasonable depth behind and only requires one signing:

Cavani
Greenwood
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Martial VDB Diallo
That would then allow us to focus the rest of our budget on strengthening the defence and, depending what happens with Pogba, balancing our midfield.
Yeah, I'm with you. Getting Haaland would be lovely but it's never going to happen so this is the next best thing we can do. Sancho, DM, CB... with Pogba leaving, creativity from midfield will be an issue but you can't solve everything in one window.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think Odsonne Edouard would be worth a punt.

It would be that though... a punt. But even still, could be a relatively cheap back-up striker.

The other punt/back-up would be Ivan Tonney... though that might not so cheap.

I also like Donyell Malen from PSV, though he's also a bit of a winger/striker and we've got enough of those already. Plus it's the Eredevise... so you know.

Silas

Kane will probably want out soon. Injuries and Levy are issues though.

Infra-red

The Haaland ship has surely sailed - they'll be lining up for him next summer and we won't be at the front of that queue.

My guess is that we'll go into next season with the same forward options and hope that one of them can find some form. If they can't and if Greenwood doesn't look quite ready to step up, then we'll probably move for Calvert-Lewin in summer 2022.

Judas

Open to offers
The Haaland ship has surely sailed - they'll be lining up for him next summer and we won't be at the front of that queue.

My guess is that we'll go into next season with the same forward options and hope that one of them can find some form. If they can't and if Greenwood doesn't look quite ready to step up, then we'll probably move for Calvert-Lewin in summer 2022.
Sadly this is what I expect too, and my expectations will be lowered accordingly for what we can achieve.

dinostar77

Kane will probably want out soon. Injuries and Levy are issues though.
Hes in the same situation as batigol was at Fiorentina. Batigol left for Roma as he wanted to win serieA and at the time Roma under capello were the strongest team in the league.

I can see Kane leaving spurs for trophies. Whether levy will be realistic with the price remains to be see.

French papers said that PSG want £175mil for Mbappe if he was to leave this summer. At the very top end of the game the price for the truly proven elite players seems to be covid proof.

saivet

Surely now is the time to start thinking about Greenwood. Getting Haaland is one thing, but I'm not sure there are many other strikers we should be pursuing this summer ahead of giving Greenwood a chance.

AgentSmith

Yeah, I'm with you. Getting Haaland would be lovely but it's never going to happen so this is the next best thing we can do. Sancho, DM, CB... with Pogba leaving, creativity from midfield will be an issue but you can't solve everything in one window.
The type of midfielder we need really is the trickiest part of the summer for me. The options for CB seem well-established (Konate, Kounde, Milenković etc.), the option for the RW seems obvious (Sancho) and even a less pressing need like a back-up RB has an easy candidate (Trippier).The midfield options are much less obvious.

If Pogba stays I only envision it being accompanied with a new contract. In which case we should fully commit to him being a starter and buy a proper CDM to play next to him in the 4-2-3-1 system, like Ndidi.

If Pogba goes I really don't know who we should go for. A pure CDM like Ndidi would be out as we'd be partnering him with Fred or McTominay which leaves us with the same issue we're suffering from at the moment - defensive overkill. But, similarly, it can't be a creative CM as neither Fred nor McTominay are at their best in the CDM role. Seemingly leaving a well-balanced all-rounder as the best option (unrealistic pipe dream would be Saul) but I don't see anyone the Premier League who fits the bill and don't watch enough European football to know of anyone suitable further abroad.

dinostar77

If Pogba stays and signs a new deal there wont be any new central midfielders coming in. A potentially WC CB is gonna eat alot of the budget. A 2nd season out of Cavani and another year of improvement of Greenwood will allow utd to reasses before summer of 2022.

Then again if someone like Dortmund are desperate for money and we can somehow get to the front of the queue for haaland who knows?

dinostar77

Also a leftfield suggestion. Aguero on a free? He wouldnt have to move house or uproot his kids. We get a season or two out of him. If City sign a new no9 and Aguero doesnt renew, could that be a possibility? Allows Utd to fix other areas of concern and deal with the long term striker issue later.

Smores

Surely now is the time to start thinking about Greenwood. Getting Haaland is one thing, but I'm not sure there are many other strikers we should be pursuing this summer ahead of giving Greenwood a chance.
Agreed, we need to go big on Haaland/Kane or give Greenwood a chance. It's why i want to see Greenwood get more games in the centre this season so we can make a proper evaluation.

Tallis

Haaland will have his pick of clubs so I think we can forget it.

Kane is quality but will be too expensive.Unless Spurs will swap him for Martial and Dalot ?

Inter wanted 120 million for Martinez when Barca asked about him.

Jovic if he can get some form back may be a possibility.

I suspect the current answer is to extend Cavani and start giving serious game time to Mason at 9.

quethenoo

If someone top class like Haaland or Kane become available then you go for them, otherwise keep Cavani, see where Greenwood is at in another years time an strengthen elsewhere.

Judas

Open to offers
Also a leftfield suggestion. Aguero on a free? He wouldnt have to move house or uproot his kids. We get a season or two out of him. If City sign a new no9 and Aguero doesnt renew, could that be a possibility? Allows Utd to fix other areas of concern and deal with the long term striker issue later.
Even if we lived in a universe where he'd consider it, I'd want nothing to do with him due to his injury issues at this point. His body is clearly breaking down.

dinostar77

Going off on a tangent, with the level of scrutiny football gets today is it possible to sign another maverick player like Cantona?

Last maverick player (not a striker i know) that i can recall was Payet for West Ham.

Just wondering if there is a off the cuff, flair genius forward out there who we could bring in. Im not talking about really well known players, someone who is out of favour or overlooked but could excel at Utd? I dont think that sort of unknown gem exists nowadays.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not strictly a striker but could take a space in the attack:

pulisic anyone? Seems to be out of favour at Chelsea

Going off on a tangent, with the level of scrutiny football gets today is it possible to sign another maverick player like Cantona?

Last maverick player (not a striker i know) that i can recall was Payet for West Ham.

Just wondering if there is a off the cuff, flair genius forward out there who we could bring in. Im not talking about really well known players, someone who is out of favour or overlooked but could excel at Utd? I dont think that sort of unknown gem exists nowadays.
im not sure a player like Cantona could thrive in this day and age. He was clearly a very known player when we bought him.

in terms of an unknown player who can come and make a difference... doubtful there’s anyone out there who can come into a big club and have an effect these days.

croadyman

Haaland will have his pick of clubs so I think we can forget it.

Kane is quality but will be too expensive.Unless Spurs will swap him for Martial and Dalot ?

Inter wanted 120 million for Martinez when Barca asked about him.

Jovic if he can get some form back may be a possibility.

I suspect the current answer is to extend Cavani and start giving serious game time to Mason at 9.
Yeah that is what I think is going to happen this summer as well

davidmichael

I think it Haaland becomes available then we have to go all in for him, say Haaland and Sancho are both available this summer would people be happy to sign them whilst selling Pogba and Martial whilst signing no one else ?

bondsname

I would give everything to get Haaland. Not just because he is a terrifc and effecient goal-scorer, but imagine Chelsea, City or Liverpool getting him... We need him and we definitely don't want our direct rivals to get him.

croadyman

I think it Haaland becomes available then we have to go all in for him, say Haaland and Sancho are both available this summer would people be happy to sign them whilst selling Pogba and Martial whilst signing no one else ?
Can we take Haaland, buy a CB and give Amad a proper chance at RW instead

croadyman

I would give everything to get Haaland. Not just because he is a terrifc and effecient goal-scorer, but imagine Chelsea, City or Liverpool getting him... We need him and we definitely don't want our direct rivals to get him.
Yeah any of them signing him would be the ultimate kick in the teeth

davidmichael

Can we take Haaland, buy a CB and give Amad a proper chance at RW instead
I remember last season people saying not to sign a right sided attacker as it would stunt Greenwood’s development and Greenwood should be first choice, I said at the time expecting an 18-19 year old with (at the time) less than a season in senior football to be our right sided attacking saviour was mental and it was right as we have the same problem this season.

With Diallo it’s even more the case as we’re in the latter part of February and Diallo has 6 minutes of football for us yet you’re wanting us to give him a chance as first choice ? I really hope Diallo becomes the player we all hope he’ll be but it won’t be next season and Greenwood has publicly said he wants to play centrally.

croadyman

I remember last season people saying not to sign a right sided attacker as it would stunt Greenwood’s development and Greenwood should be first choice, I said at the time expecting an 18-19 year old with (at the time) less than a season in senior football to be our right sided attacking saviour was mental and it was right as we have the same problem this season.

With Diallo it’s even more the case as we’re in the latter part of February and Diallo has 6 minutes of football for us yet you’re wanting us to give him a chance as first choice ? I really hope Diallo becomes the player we all hope he’ll be but it won’t be next season and Greenwood has publicly said he wants to play centrally.
I would want both of them and a CB in an ideal world but worry about still lacking pace at the back was my point

Red_toad

im not sure a player like Cantona could thrive in this day and age. He was clearly a very known player when we bought him.

in terms of an unknown player who can come and make a difference... doubtful there’s anyone out there who can come into a big club and have an effect these days.
I’m pretty sure he’d be excellent. Nearest to him right now is Kane and he’s none too shabby. Great hold up play, fantastic vision, as strong as an ox, excellent in the air And could score all types of goals. He’d terrify opponents and lift our entire team, Bruno and Rashford would love him. Not sure where you get he’d not thrive from?

VivaRonaldo85

If I was going all out Football Manager, I would look to sell Pogba (who I feel sure will be leaving anyway) and Martial - and hope we get maybe £75 million for the pair. Then I’d ask the board for another £75 million budget and put in an audacious bid of circa £150 million to secure Haaland who is a very special goal scoring talent and would alone take us from a top 4 side now to realistic PL contenders.

Back on planet earth though, I think next season we’ll end up moving Greenwood to a central striker role to share the position with Cavani and we’ll end up buying a first choice right sided forward (surely Amad is more for the future) to finally give us some balance in a front 3. Then we’ll focus on GK, central defence & a midfielder if Pogba does leave.

Reactions: golden_blunder

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't see us doing anything there for a while. Greenwood needs to be groomed as the striker long term, he has huge potential and that's where he's going to fulfill it, no doubt in my mind there. Cavani as a temporary striker for this season and next season is fine, with Martial rotating around too. We need to sort out the right wing, left wing and #10 is sorted out, so it's not an urgent area. It's one that needs patience.

Cavani
Rashford Bruno Sancho

Greenwood
Martial Van de Beek/Mejbri Diallo​

As the starters/subs next season for the front 4, and then long term Greenwood replacing Cavani as the starter.

croadyman

I don't see us doing anything there for a while. Greenwood needs to be groomed as the striker long term, he has huge potential and that's where he's going to fulfill it, no doubt in my mind there. Cavani as a temporary striker for this season and next season is fine, with Martial rotating around too. We need to sort out the right wing, left wing and #10 is sorted out, so it's not an urgent area. It's one that needs patience.

Cavani
Rashford Bruno Sancho

Greenwood
Martial Van de Beek/Mejbri Diallo​

As the starters/subs next season for the front 4, and then long term Greenwood replacing Cavani as the starter.
Much as I like Mason we should still keep tabs on Haaland despite how difficult he will be to get because he is on a different to the majority of strikers round europe apart from Mbappe

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I think any fan of any team in the world would snap your hand off for a window where they managed to sign both Haaland and Sancho.

Which also represents how extremely unlikely it is that it would ever happen.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Much as I like Mason we should still keep tabs on Haaland despite how difficult he will be to get because he is on a different to the majority of strikers round europe apart from Mbappe
I dunno, Haaland will have his pick of clubs to go to and will even still insist on a release clause so he can move around in a few years and do the next thing. I don't see Haaland signing for us for a while, maybe eventually when he decides to take on the premier league but he strikes me as an Ibra who won't stay somewhere for too long.

I’m pretty sure he’d be excellent. Nearest to him right now is Kane and he’s none too shabby. Great hold up play, fantastic vision, as strong as an ox, excellent in the air And could score all types of goals. He’d terrify opponents and lift our entire team, Bruno and Rashford would love him. Not sure where you get he’d not thrive from?
I don’t think he would have got to England in this day and age.

Glorio

I agree with the point you're making, however, I didn't realise Greenwood publicly stated he wants to play centrally. I know Gary Neville mentions it just about every 30 mins of commenting our games, but I haven't actually heard it from the player himself. When and where did he say it please?

Either way, he's obviously not ready for that yet - as Ole said tonight, he'll need another year or two to look like a CF